Patient Comments: Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Prognosis

What's the prognosis with your multiple sclerosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: familymushroom1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis over 20 years ago but have been symptomatic since I was 17. Last summer I entered the secondary progressive category of the disease. Over the last 20 years I have been on Rebif, Betaseron and Avonex but for the last 15 years have been on Copaxone (with the exception of the few months that I did chemotherapy in an attempt to shut down and restart my immune system, which didn't work). I have an incredible husband, doctors, and case workers but I struggle with depression and daily frustration with pain, mobility, etc. The Copaxone causes joint pain so I am looking for the next big thing.

Comment from: MeeMaw, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My 33 year old daughter is currently on Tysabri, a once-a-month infusion that takes a few hours at the multiple sclerosis clinic. She is doing well. She seems to have no side effects from this drug, a great improvement from previous medications.

Comment from: Jeannie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis late in life. I had been tested many times and no doctor said I had MS! The technician that did my last MRI told me, after I questioned him, I had MS. The doctor put me on Avonex for 1year. The doctor took me off of it, now I am on Ampyra, and baclofen. Now I am 75 and going downhill for the last year! It is ok! I am not happy with the lack of balance, inability to walk more than a few steps etc., but at my age resting and reading, without feeling guilty is pretty nice!

Comment from: jakedog2011, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2005, and I was a man of 40. They put me on Rebif which I took until 2008 and was switched to Copaxone. I had two relapses on Rebif, none so far on Copaxone. I do notice my balance getting worse, and my memory, as well as erectile dysfunction and muscle spasms. I'm 52 now, I wonder if anyone has experienced what I'm experiencing.

Comment from: Len, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1996 but went many years knowing something was wrong. I started Avonex in 96, no problems; just hated the day after feeling. I've been on Copaxone since 2008 with no problems. I am still working, I work out 4-6 times weekly and about anything else I want too. The fatigue is my biggest symptom.

Comment from: Cheer Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis on 8/4/2004 at age 44. It looked as if I had a stroke because my face was drawn and I had slurred speech. Spinal type concluded MS. I spent a month in the hospital and had amnesia. I started Avonex and was on that until 2007 until a relapse, then Rebif; did nothing for me. The doctor started me on Tysabri and I have been on it since, along with baclofen. I still drive, but have spastic feet which causes left foot not to want to lift. Have some memory loss.

The Effects of Multiple Sclerosis