Patient Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: SHALL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

My multiple myeloma (MM) started with a compressed vertebra. I bent down to pick up dirty laundry. It was painful but bearable. Within a week I had extreme pain and was admitted to the hospital for a Band-Aid fix. Blood tests taken prior to the surgery showed extremely high levels of calcium. By the time I would have been coming out of anesthesia from the Band-Aid surgery I was in full blown hallucinations from the high calcium level. While in that state for a week in hospital, the doctors couldn't tell me about the MM. As I got better they were able to tell me about the MM. I have been in treatment for a little over a year. No date of getting off treatment as of now but the doctor says things are looking good (whatever that means).

Comment from: Lydia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I fractured a vertebra while jogging in 2013. I thought I pulled a muscle, so it took months to find out it was a fracture. In November 2015, I fractured two more vertebrae by sneezing. I had kyphoplasty done on those vertebrae, but soon after, I fractured several more vertebrae. I lost 5 inches in height. The orthopedic doctor sent me to an oncologist who specializes in treating bones (thinking I only had severe osteoporosis, but I was only 57). She noted that lesions were mentioned on one of my reports. She performed a blood test and bone marrow biopsy and determined that I was in stage III multiple myeloma.

Comment from: Leo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I had undergone an operation to remove my appendix and was showing signs of anemia. My hemoglobin was very low and I had two transfusions done to correct it. I was still feeling fatigued and had pain in my left thigh. An MRI was done and showed an infiltration into my pelvis. After two bone marrow biopsies I was told I had multiple myeloma and was put on a regimen of dexamethasone, Revlimid and Velcade. I am scheduled for a stem cell transplant at the end of this month. I have had previous cancers, Merkel cell in 2003, oral in 2008 and skin in 2013, I do not want anymore, I am going to beat this one also and then retire. Peace.

Comment from: Blessed59, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 13

My mother started to feel pain in her ribs in early 2015, a garage door fell on her. All the time we thought it was related to that. Later she started to have pain in her pelvis around 06, 2015. She lives in Venezuela. There is a civil crisis going on. Later, from October 2015 she stayed in bed until December 7 when I arrived and took her to the hospital. Diagnosis was pancreas cancer, then the MRI didn't show anything. At least 6 MRIs were done. Nothing wrong. She got dengue fever in February 2016. In addition she has hypertension, and pulmonary disease (from years of smoking). Later in March 2016 she went back to the hospital for pneumonia. Hematologists, rheumatologists, and all kind of lab tests. Nothing was showing. She had lost 50 pounds, was very weak, had pain in her bones, was retaining fluids, and stopped walking around April 2016. Back to the hospital in May 2016 when she had a high fever. I finally found a traumatologist and then he did surgery. Biopsy sample was taken. Result on 06/2016, multiple myeloma. Now I am in the process of bringing her to the US.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have had diabetes type II since I was 40, and every time there was a medical problem it was blamed on my diabetes. I worked in medical offices for many years. It started with having no energy. I would have to stop many times just to rest before clocking in. My heart had irregular heartbeats. I had neuropathy in my feet and hands. They said it is my diabetes. I had gynecologic cancer ten years earlier and had radiation and I thought I was home free. Then one day there was a lump on the middle of my forehead, it was the size of a small egg. I asked nurses, doctors, and nurse practitioners. I kept getting infections. 'It's the diabetes,' or 'did you bump your head?' That's what they kept asking. I kept telling them no. I knew something was wrong. It was a first year resident that did the right tests, and listened to my symptoms instead of saying it is diabetes. I have stage III multiple myeloma and I am thankful this doctor came my way. The other doctors gave him a hard time, but he didn't give up.

Comment from: iamhere, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

My mother had hepatitis B in 1993 and now in 2016-2017 she was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. I wonder if the cancer could be a result of the hepatitis from decades ago. The reason I am wondering is because there has never been a family member on either her father or mother side to have had cancer.

Comment from: Jack, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I found out I have multiple myeloma when I went to the urologist because I was losing weight. I wound up in the hospital with sepsis and they noticed spots on my bones. It was myeloma and I started chemotherapy in March 2016 and have had a stem cell transplant in August. I still have some myeloma but am starting back on Revlimid. I look forward to seeing my next blood work.

Comment from: lisa s., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I am 48 years young, was an active person went to the gym 3 to 5 times a week. It started out I was tired all the time and sometimes weak, then a pain behind my left shoulder pain that went down my bicep. Then one day at work my back; I went to turn and my back cracked, not in a good way, and I lost my breath. To make a long story short a few days later I went to the hospital because by this time I could hardly walk. After 4 days of tests in the hospital I found out I had a fractured spine and also they found multiple myeloma. But if it wasn't for this one doctor I still probably wouldn't have known.

Comment from: izitso, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

It seems I am not alone. I was diagnosed a few years ago with the MGUS multiple myeloma status and since then it is 3 monthly blood tests and monitoring. The main symptoms that foretold something was wrong were chronic fatigue and burning headaches. I was taking time off work and feeling generally depressed, low platelets mainly. Basically I have stage 1, so I am lucky. I now have negotiated with my government job to have the mid-week day off by working 1 hour extra each day. As things progress I have now noticed painful knees and strong smelling urine. But it is better than being hit by a bus, so as the song goes, 'always look on the bright side of life!'

Comment from: Old Texan, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I am 76. My multiple myeloma (MM) symptoms, although not realized, started with immune deficiency. During 2010-11 winter, I developed an upper respiratory infection three times. In 2011 I developed a case of shingles. During 2011-12, I had more upper respiratory problem and an ear infection. I asked my primary care physician (PCP) to check my immune system. In the meantime, I noticed back pain (I had L4/L5 fusion surgery), increased fatigue and loss of grip resulting in breaking several dishes. I visited a walk-in clinic where they drew blood and found that I had a high level of calcium in my blood. I had increased pain in my back and thought it might be shingles again. I experienced mental confusion but an MRI showed nothing. A CAT scan showed a T11 fractured vertebra. Increased pain prompted a trip to the emergency room. I went into a sub-conscious state and experienced hallucinations. The oncologist diagnosed the MM and I was admitted with poor kidney function (20 percent) due to calcium intrusion. First ten days were a critical stage.

Comment from: Rough Ride, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I had severe lower back strains three separate times. I thought it was due to my workouts and getting older. A few months later I was feeling very badly and soon after was hit with the most extreme pain I've ever felt. At first I thought it was a kidney stone but the next day pain moved from my side to center back area. The pain was so intense my family had to slowly lift me off of bed. After a couple weeks, I finally went to doctor. (Don't be stubborn like me!) X-rays were negative. Two more weeks of misery and doctor scheduled an MRI and that's when they found multiple myeloma (MM) stage III cancer. Fractured vertebra, fractured a total of four, and lost two inches in height so far. I had radiation for nine weeks to remove multiple tumors in my back. An extremely long and painful journey I believe very few would be able to withstand. I have now gone through stem cell transplant and now on maintenance Velcade chemotherapy. I'm lucky to be alive but I will be disabled for the rest of my life from a much damaged spine. Family and good doctors (Veterans Affairs doctors) got me through it. Note, a blood test from treatments for pre-diabetes about six months prior, did show an elevated protein level. (A sign of this type of cancer.) MM is not an easy cancer to spot and if caught late like in my case, a very nasty cancer it is!

Comment from: Rough Ride, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

Comment from: Emily, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

Summer 2010, my symptoms of multiple myeloma were, 'electric charges' shooting down both legs when reclining and weird lower back pain upon sitting. Most of the summer, I could not sit down. I worked full/overtime, doing everything standing up. I did not feel fatigued. All of my blood work was normal. I did not have a urine test, however. I visited my physician's assistant several times and got medications for back pain and muscle relaxers. She finally did do an MRI of lower back in October, which was misread as normal by the radiologist. Being a healthy person, I insisted on seeing a back specialist, took my MRI with me and he insisted I have MRI of full spine (because he felt the MRI was suspicious), which revealed a tumor had totally eroded my T-9 (upper back) vertebra and was pressing on my spinal cord, causing all of my symptoms. Honestly, I thought I was going nuts. Later on, total body x-rays revealed every bone in my body was 'moth-eaten' by tumors. It is now summer 2014. I've had radiation 26 times, chemotherapy (Velcade, dexamethasone, Revlimid), for three months, stem cell transplant in 2011 (with melphalan), and treatment with Zometa to rebuild bones (and they look good now). I am currently on maintenance Revlimid and doing well.

Comment from: Jcbajones, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

Mom was having pain in her side and weakness in November 2013. She developed an upper respiratory infection in December and went to her doctor. After performing routine tests he decided she needed to see a heart specialist and he scheduled her an appointment for January 2, 2014. On January 1st she started having chest pain. I took her to hospital where it was determined she was having a heart attack. They stabilized her and started performing tests. It was determined she had RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) and multiple tumors in her abdominal area. She was transported to a hospital in Atlanta where it was determined she had advanced multiple myeloma. She passed away on January 21, 2014 after a very painful journey that included having to undergo a tracheotomy and just 20 days after being admitted to the hospital.

Comment from: Worried mom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My daughter had just turned 28 and discovered she was 4 months pregnant with her 2nd child. She had one cold after another and her breathing and coughing were getting worse. She finally went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with pneumonia and severe anemia. She needed 8 units of blood. A bone marrow biopsy the following day revealed stage 3 multiple myeloma (MM). She continued the pregnancy on dexamethasone and delivered prematurely at 33 weeks. She is getting ready to start high-dose chemotherapy followed by stem cell transplant.

Comment from: Nanc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had trained for the Seattle marathon and in the morning of I couldn't get out of bed! The pain in both of my legs was so bad. Then I started cramping. The following Monday I made an appointment with my doctor who ran some tests then sent me to the lab (I thought) when the elevator door opened it said Cancer Research! I went back up to my doctor and he said, “I think you have multiple myeloma,” which he explained briefly. I was in shock! This was in 2002, that I tested positive, my blood work showed the abnormal protein. I went through a non-conventional treatment at a clinic and every year have my blood work checked and in November 2013 it showed a spike. So I went back to see this doctor who ran tests and said I was not at phase 1, but ordered a series of shots for me. I asked him what do I do if this doesn't work and he said then it is time for traditional treatment. My symptoms at this time was pain in my legs at night and restless legs. I will keep having my blood worked checked and if it spikes I will seek traditional treatment. I have had many good years free of symptoms, but am always aware that I still have it.

Comment from: MM fighter, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 30

About 4 years ago I developed a small depression in my scalp. During a routine visit to my internist, I mentioned this to him. After some deliberation we agreed that I should have a skull x-Ray. The x-ray suggested MM (multiple myeloma). That was followed by a bone scan and a bone marrow test, which confirmed MGUS (monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance). In a year it had progressed to smoldering MM, and then to full-blown MM after another year. I've been treated with Revlimid and dexamethasone, which caused blood clots in both lungs; then with Velcade and dexamethasone which caused extremely painful neuropathy in my legs and hands. Now I'm being treated with Alkeran and prednisone. I'm on my 11th cycle and doing well. Aside from anemia and fatigue, my only problems have been caused by treatments and the medication. I'm very lucky.

Comment from: MSB, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My father was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in October of 2012. He had previously gone to the doctor numerous times about a pain he had in his left shoulder blade. It actually began to hurt about 7 years ago. The doctors said all was ok over and over again. In October he became very fatigued and was starting to have severe pain. Once again we went to the doctor and they said all blood and urine analyses were normal. As he continued to get worse we finally decided that hospital was where he needed to be. That is when they found too much calcium in his urine which gave them reason to run further testing. The diagnosis was multiple myeloma. My father passed away in May of this year despite chemotherapy and radiation treatments. They had found a tumor in his back and did emergency surgery and removed it. He remained in the hospital and 2 weeks later the tumor had returned to be the same size as it was before surgery. They decided to re-do the surgery and my father never recovered, he passed away a few days later.

Comment from: Jazz of San Diego, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had no new symptoms when I went in for my regular check up with my doctor. She ran a blood test and noticed an increase in my anemia. I had been on the edge, but now I was below the edge. She sent me to a hemotologist. I had no idea that she was checking for everything from anemia to leukemia or multiple myeloma. I was thinking "iron" pills. I had a bone biopsy that day and got the results about three weeks later at my next available appointment. It was a shock, and I was not ready for it. I was told that at this time it is rarely curable but treatable. No time frame of survival was given, and I was not able to ask any other questions as I had never heard of multiple myeloma. After three days of shock, I went on the web and gathered all the info I could and got my grown sons to help me look up more info. My whole family was in shock. I have been undergoing treatment for almost two years now, and I am tired, I have kidney problems, and I have one blood clot so far. So I am doing OK. I do go to a support group in San Diego, and it has been more then helpful.

Comment from: First Daughter, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My dad was 51 when his multiple myeloma was diagnosed in stage III. He had been very tired for quite some time. (One ignored hallmark of the disease manifested about three years previously. He had always donated blood but was refused at about 48 because his iron was low. No one advised him to immediately check into that. As a young and strong man, his iron should not have been that low ever) However, he was a firefighter getting ready for retirement, so, we all believed he would be much better after a few months in his dream home in Wisconsin. He became more and more exhausted. Finally, when he was sleeping close to round the clock, my aunt forced the issue that he go to the hospital immediately. (She was a nurse.) He was diagnosed within one day as his kidneys were shutting down. He lived beyond any expectation of the medical community (some good years). He worked hard to remodel his dream home, got to meet a few new grandchildren and died at 55. Moral: Low iron counts in an otherwise healthy younger male are never "normal." Extreme exhaustion in anyone is not always a sign of depression or fatigue. Multiple myeloma can strike any age or demographic; Dad didn't fit any of the stereotypes.

Comment from: gspieg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

My multiple myeloma started with a headache that wouldn't go away. It became slightly more severe with time. After a few weeks, enough was enough. I went to a walk-in clinic and asked for treatment. The physician ordered an immediate CT of my head and neck area. The CT was negative, and I was referred to a neurologist. I was misdiagnosed initially, and it was six months before I had another CT (or MRI). That test showed a tumor had formed at the base of my skull and the top of my spinal column. By then, I was experiencing ringing in my ears, double-vision, fatigue and pain in my neck and upper back. The tumor was biopsied and determined to be a plasmacytoma. I was referred to an oncologist who tested my blood and bone marrow and diagnosed my multiple myeloma. I went through radiation therapy to destroy the tumor. Either the tumor or the treatment destroyed part of my C-1 and C-2 cervical vertebrae. After the tumor was found, the initial CT was re-examined and a “shadow” was noted where the tumor formed. I was treated with thalidomide and dexamethasone for several months. My M-protein level began to rise and eventually got to 1.7.

Comment from: Yogesh, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 20

Well, since October 2016 we were going through doctors to address the pain in stomach and weight loss, and finally found that our father had multiple myeloma. We are getting ready to fight thinking how to tell this to my dad, he is very sensitive person. I don't want to lose him.

Comment from: wife of, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 17

My husband was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in the fall of 2014. He began chemotherapy treatments and had a stem cell transplant in July 2015. He is in a remission now, but still has so much pain. The doctors say that his pain should not be bad now, since he is in remission. I am not sure how to help him. The doctors just seem to say the same thing over and over. Maybe something else going on. The oncologist refers to rheumatologist, rheumatologist refers to neurologist, neurologist refers back to oncologist, so on, and so on.

Comment from: SWEET SUE, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 15

My RFT (renal function test) anion gap is low. My right sole skin is cracked and peeled every 2 to 3 weeks once. My both knees x-ray shows osteoarthritis changes. My Pap smear showed atypical changes. I have constant fatigue.

Comment from: Worried mom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

I have been having bad menstrual cramps since I was 10 and they first started. Apparently I do not have endometriosis. I also have my period nearly 24/7. I will be on for 2 weeks, off for 1, and then back on for 4, off for another 1, and then repeat. It's awful. I have been in the fetal position state of pain pretty much every time. I flow extremely heavily, and I have even been sent to the emergency room because of the pain and the blood flow. I have to take a cocktail of 6 ibuprofen and 4 Tylenol to feel even a little relief. Heat used to work, but it doesn't anymore. The only thing anyone's been able to do for me is to put me on the pill to regulate my period, which offers some relief, but by no means total. I just don't even know what to do.

Comment from: desmond, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 17

My dad was told he had a frozen shoulder by his doctor in May 1994, when he was 54. The pain got worse and my mum went to the doctors with him in November 1994 and asked the doctor if he would do a test on his shoulder. The next week he had x-rays done and blood test and they give him the bad news that he had multiple myeloma. Within 4 weeks he went downhill and passed away the next month. I'm 48 and over the last 5 months I've had a very sore shoulder. My doctor has told me it's a frozen shoulder like they told my dad. I was wondering if I told the doctor about my dad and his frozen shoulder turning out to be myeloma, if she would send me for test or I'm I worrying too much.

Comment from: JD's caretaker, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My husband is a runner and runs every day! I watched as he kept scratching his upper inside thigh. I took a look and there was a 1" x 2" welt. I took him to a vascular surgeon I work with. She did an ultrasound scan. The vein was one big clot from groin to ankle! He had blood tests done every year for years. The results were sent to the primary care physician but it was never caught. It took four months to diagnose with bone marrow aspiration and biopsy. The diagnosis was that he had high risk, Stage III multiple myeloma.

Comment from: heartbroken in London, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 19

My father was diagnosed with multiple myeloma last October 2007. He had a very loose stool for a couple of days; later on he went to an urgent care facility. They told him it was a virus and to go home and take Imodium A-D. That was Saturday. Monday, he went to his primary care doctor. He checked him and said, “I think you have a virus too. But I want to do some blood tests before you go.” After receiving the blood tests, the doctor then sent him for X-rays. In just a couple of hours he was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, and now the fun begins!

Comment from: Roger, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

My multiple myeloma was spotted very early through a blood test. The first real symptoms were excessive tiredness, noticeable tachycardia, and hyperventilation.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I found out that I had multiple myeloma (MM) when I was 39 years old. I was always tried and just could not get enough energy to do much of anything. When I fell and could not walk for more than a month is when my family found out something was wrong. During this time, I almost lost my life because my kidney was shutting down, and I still could not walk. My husband then took me to another hospital where they found out that I had MM. We have been dealing with this for seven years, and we just found out that I am out of remission. I have to find a new treatment to go with now after already going through one bone marrow transplant, 17 treatments of radiation, a blood transfusion, and chemo. Now we have to go through this all over again.

Comment from: greenlady1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

For about a year and a half I had been very tired, and I kept getting sick and it took so long to get well that I would be sick all over again I also started throwing up which is something I never do I was working 7 days a week but had to drop down to 5 days and almost couldn't do the 5 days, I have always been a hard worker when I had a job, my boss got real mean with me and started loading me down with impossible work loads, which I did but not easily, I was barely able put one foot in front of the other. I never went to the doctor. I kept thinking I would get better until I went to work at 5:30 am and by 9:00 I had to call my boss I was so sick, I went home and lay down for 2-3 hours and when I awoke my neck was so swollen I didn't look human and I couldn't breathe my daughter took me to the hospital my kidneys were shutting down along with a long list of other things that is how I found out that I have this cancer.

Published: July 02

After a bad fall, I continually felt weaker and had lower back and leg pain. I hurt so bad at the time, I felt I was doomed to suffer the rest of my life. Doctors simply told me to go home and get some rest, take pain pills and literally call them in the morning. Continued breaking ribs and back pain were no clue to them. Later that year I could no longer walk and suffered with continual back spasms. The ER found Stage III Multiple Myeloma after 1 day of tests.

Comment from: DEENA, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 19

My father has diagnosed with multiple myeloma in July 2013, and undergone treatment. Stem cell transplantation has been carried out in May 2014. Now he is in full remission stage.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I"ve been treated for multiple myeloma for 4 years. I found out I had MM because of needing transfusions on numerous occasions. So far the medications seem to be working.

Comment from: Mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

In 2002 I broke a rib, it wouldn't heal. After about 2 years the rib was removed and biopsy done. MM (multiple myeloma) was found. It's always better to get a second opinion and get treatment as soon as possible. After 8 years with my first doctor, my numbers kept going up. I changed oncologist and my blood is normal after 13 months. Kyprolis and dexamethason twice a week 3 times a month. I'm doing well now.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

MY MOTHER IS AGE 65/ IN RENAL FAILURE /LIFE EXSPECTANCE 1-3 MONTHS DEAD BY 4MONTHS/ THANK GOD WE ARE AT 6-MONTHS WEIGHT 221 NOW 171 SOME CONFUSSION BED RIDDEN SINCE 6-1-08 IN STAGE 3 THE WHOLE TIME/LIFE LONG SMOKER/ONLY ON DYALISIS AND A DEX-STERIOD.PHONE DR ERIC BATTS OR DR KATHERYN ALGUIRE IN MUSKEGON MICHIGAN AT THE JOHNSON CANCER CENTER IF YOU CAN HELP OR ANY NEW DRUG TREATMENTS THAT CAN EXTEND LIFE/CURE MY MOM. THANK YOU.231-737-3469

Published: July 10

My father was being treated for a chest infection for six weeks but antibiotics brought no improvement. His mobility was more impaired by pain in the torso and eventually, after dramatic immobility an A & E visit showed kidney failure subsequently confirmed as a result due to Multiple Myeloma. My Dad is a 76 year old gardener who spent a lot of time with pesticides and petrol lawn mowers. His deterioration was very fast and he worked as long as possible. His rib cage and shoulder blades continue to be most affected and his lungs, although healthy, are his greatest cause of discomfort.

Published: July 09

I had anemia of unknown source. My multiple myeloma manifested itself through my kidneys. I had bone marrow biopsy and kidney biopsy to confirm. It took almost 6 months to diagnose.

Published: June 25

My mother thought she was "coming down" with something. She could not pin point how she felt different, other than feeling very tired. She was restless, but did not mention bone pain. She often was cold. After trying to "beat the bug" at home for a week we took her to the hospital to get to the bottom of her weakness. Several tests were done and the bone marrow results gave us the diagnosis along with a 24 hour urine collection.

Published: June 19

My father had severe sweating in the night time. His joints swell plus redness. He is constant pain.

Published: June 18

My symptoms were bone pain and being very tired. I also had joint swelling and nausea/vomiting at times.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had pain in my ribs which was initially misdiagnosed. Then, I became unable to walk straight because a mass was compressing my spinal cord. A few days of radiation took care of the mass and I had a stem cell transplant (2000).

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My mother had multiple myeloma. She had bone growth on collar bone and hip. The collar bone she noticed and Dr. did many tests assuming it was arthritis in the end. The doctor failed to do another test that could have added years to my mother's life (she was 83 when she passed). If you have any kind of bone growth, insist on a simple blood test that could suggest multiple myeloma. By the time they caught my Mom's it had damaged her kidneys.

Comment from: ibeatmm!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I experienced severe fatigue, unsteadiness on my feet and shortness of breath. I had gained weight and was aging, so I ignored the symptoms. I fell ill with sepsis & pneumonia and nearly died. I was then diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. My symptoms were common signs of extreme anemia. I was 5 pints low on blood. Treatment with Velcade gave me very low cancer count and a year free from treatment. Numbers are rising slightly right now and I will begin Revimid soon to keep the disease at low level. I did not have Stem Cell Transplant and hope to never have one.

Comment from: stressed out, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My mother had multiple myeloma. She had bone growth on collar bone and hip. The collar bone she noticed and the doctor did many tests assuming it was arthritis in the end. The doctor failed to do another test that could have added years to my mother's life (she was 83 when she passed). If you have any kind of bone growth, insist on a simple blood test that could suggest multiple myeloma. By the time they caught my Mom's it had damaged her kidneys.

Comment from: sweetpattiadkins, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 22

My fiance had been experiencing rib pain, fatigue and nausea for over a year. He was diagnosed with torn cartilage between the ribs and pulled muscles and the last diagnosis was inflammation of the chest wall cavity. The back pain became so unbearable that he insisted on different tests and it was found with a CT scan in March.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

Mine was found through a routine physical exam that included a blood test. Luckily my GP knew enough and had a baseline of my total protein to get it checked further when it rose to even slightly out of normal.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter