Multiple myeloma is a form of cancer that develops in plasma cells, the white blood cells that make antibodies. Symptoms include bone pain, weakness, extreme thirst, nausea, frequent urination, and broken bones. Treatment of multiple myeloma depends upon the staging and symptoms of the disease. Read more: Multiple Myeloma Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Multiple Myeloma Quiz
Multiple myeloma is a form of cancer. Take this quiz common signs and symptoms of multiple myeloma and who is at risk....
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Related Disease Conditions
Kidney Failure (Symptoms, Signs, Stages, Causes, Treatment, and Life Expectancy)
Kidney failure can occur from an acute event or a chronic condition or disease. Prerenal kidney failure is caused by blood loss,...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Amyloidosis is a group of diseases resulting from abnormal deposition of certain proteins (amyloids) in various bodily areas. The...
Bone cancer is a rare type of cancer that occurs in cells that make up the bones. Primary bone cancer that arises in bone cells...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)
Hypercalcemia is a condition in which calcium levels in the blood are elevated. Hypercalcemia is associated with other conditions...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which irritation of the wrist's median nerve causes tingling and numbness of the thumb,...
Vasculitis (Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Types)
Vasculitis (arteritis, angiitis) is a general term for a group of uncommon diseases which feature inflammation of the blood...
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow and how abnormal they look under a...
Cancer fatigue is a lack of energy that is caused by cancer or cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiation, biological...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Cancer pain results from the tumor pressing on nerves or invading bones or organs. Cancer treatments like chemotherapy,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- C-Reactive Protein (CRP Test, Ranges, Symptoms, Treatment)
- Complete Blood Count (CBC)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Sedimentation Rate
- Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia Vaccine)
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Apheresis (Hemapheresis, Pheresis)
- Screening Tests for Cancer
- Bone Marrow Aspiration and Biopsy
- Radiation Therapy
- Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation
- Weight Loss
- Loss of Appetite
- Swollen Tongue
- Low Urine Output
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Frequent Urination
- Lower Back Pain
- Multiple Myeloma
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Advance Medical Directives
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Cancer FAQs
- Multiple Myeloma FAQs
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Coping with a Bad Disease - Community Counts
- How Common Is Multiple Myeloma?
- Is Multiple Myeloma Curable?
- How Many Stages of Multiple Myeloma Are There?
- What Is the Life Expectancy of Someone with Multiple Myeloma?
- What Is Bone Cancer?
- Weight Gain, Obesity & Cancer Risk
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- Monoclonal Antibodies
- alendronate, Fosamax, Binosto
- cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)
- bortezomib - injection, Velcade
- thalidomide, Thalomid
- lenalidomide (Revlimid)
- doxorubicin - injection, Adriamycin, Rubex
- vincristine - injection, Oncovin
- melphalan - oral, Alkeran
Prevention & Wellness
- Many Ground Zero Rescue Workers Battling Cancer Years Later
- Gene-Based Therapy May Thwart a Tough Blood Cancer
- Powerful Drug for Advanced Cancers May Need Less Frequent Dosing
- Therapeutic Vaccine Shows 'Game-Changing' Promise Against a Leukemia
- Drug Trio Shows Major Promise Against Myeloma
- Excess Weight Tied to Higher Risk for Many Cancers, Experts Say
- Superior Results for Myeloma Drug That's Added Earlier in Treatment
- Empliciti Approved for Multiple Myeloma
- Ninlaro Approved for Multiple Myeloma
- Darzalex Approved for Multiple Myeloma
- Experimental Drug for Blood Cancer Shows Promise
- New Drug Shows Potential for Blood Cancer
- Farydak Approved for Multiple Myeloma
- Newer Drug Helps Myeloma Patients Who Can't Have Transplant
- Health Highlights: May 16, 2014
- Newsman Tom Brokaw Has Many Treatment Options for His Blood Cancer
- Newsman Tom Brokaw Battling Blood Cancer
- Report Sees Continued Advances in War Against Cancer
- Pomalyst Approved for Advanced Multiple Myeloma
- Drug Shows Promise for Lupus Skin Conditions
- Kyprolis Approved for Multiple Myeloma
- New Drug Shows Promise for Myeloma Patients
- Why Cancer Symptoms May Elude M.D.
- Health Highlights: Feb. 21, 2012
- FDA Moves to Head Off Shortages of 2 Cancer Drugs