- What other names is Muira Puama known by?
- What is Muira Puama?
- How does Muira Puama work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Muira Puama.
Muira puama is used for preventing sexual disorders and to increase interest in sexual activity (as an aphrodisiac). It is also used for upset stomach, menstrual disorders, joint pain (rheumatism), and paralysis caused by poliomyelitis; and as a general tonic and an appetite stimulant.
Some people apply muira puama directly to the skin as an aphrodisiac and for rheumatism and muscle paralysis.
In combination with other herbs, muira puama is used as a remedy for male sexual performance problems (erectile dysfunction, ED).
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Sexual disorders. Early research suggests that taking 2-6 tablets of a specific product (Herbal vX) containing muira puama extract and ginkgo extract modestly improves sexual desire and the frequency of sexual intercourse in women with a low sex drive.
- Stomach upset.
- Menstrual disorders.
- Sore joints.
- Loss of appetite.
- Other conditions.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking muira puama if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.