Patient Comments: MRSA -Treatment

How was your MRSA treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: DD2jt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am currently on day 4 of linezolid and Levaquin for MRSA.

Comment from: Sophie, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My dad had a serious injury. It's been almost 12 years since then. His bladder got infected and the antibiotics didn't help any more. He became resistant after several courses. In his nasal and mouth cavity he had MRSA. We found out that in Georgia (the country) there is an institute which works with phages. So we went there for phage therapy. It was unbelievable but only after 2 weeks of treatment his symptoms changed. After doing 2 courses of this therapy there is no MRSA in his nasal cavity any more. Infections from his bladder faded away. It was like a miracle.

Comment from: Cici, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had low grade fever for weeks, muscle weakness on my right leg, and barely been walking for weeks. I am confined to the house. Back of my neck is hot and very sore, and my eyes are blurry for as long as the fatigue is there. I have been living with lupus for more than 25 years. I never find help for this fatigue.

Comment from: Alive, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I was born with exstrophy of the bladder and associated anomalies (midline defect). The first five years of life was dealing with a primary closure process with extensive surgeries. From through 11 years of age an attempt was made to create normal physiology during which time it was observed that one ureter was longer than the other and surgery was performed to shorten it and connect to the 2nd one creating a 'Y' with only one going directly into the bladder. This and additional other tissue were set aside in the abdominal cavity for future re-creative development. It was that tissue that actually created additional internal problems as it created major adhesions to the small intestine causing digestive problems over the years. At the age 15 years, having developing major nephritis, the 15 years of constructive surgery was disconnected and an ileal conduit was created. At age 17 years I developed bacterial kidney stones which involved 81 days in the hospital going into each kidney twice and rebuilding ileal conduit. Result was having 5 surgeries in 4 1/2 months. From that point on kidney function declined, which resulted in a kidney transplant. From September to December 2000 I had both kidneys removed, one in October and one in November. Then I had dialysis for 10 weeks, and then transplant in December, ten hours on the operating table. Over all over 88 surgeries. Cumulative surgeries resulted in adhesions and chronic urinary infections and now chronic bowel blockage issues. I was hospitalized for 12 days in ICU for major blockage in large intestine. Hernias repaired throughout the years were totally seven. I had multi-surgeries from 2000 to 2008, totaling 8 surgeries. Additional degenerative conditions from reflex infections over the years with the onset of hypertension swelling, gout type arthritis, venous sinus thrombosis, sever migraine headaches, various drug reactions, continued to take their toll on the body and kidneys and other parts of the body severely limiting activity. When the adhesions are hurting I use heating pad, hot showers, stretching, massage, and eat small amounts at a time, vegetables, not meat. I walk everyday even if it is just 10 minutes and do meditation.

Comment from: Tuhin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I have had psoriasis. I had psoriasis at 15 years, on my leg, hands and elbow, but it was never given that name by a doctor and 46 years later I still have that. I use some medicine like Dermasol ointment and taken antihistamine tablets. In the past 15 years I have inverse psoriasis in my groin area and arm pits. Medications work some but it is a constant battle.

Comment from: Big Dennis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I take medicines for high blood pressure, thyroid, water, heart rhythm, potassium and acid reflux. Being 50 lb. overweight really messed me up!

Comment from: NJ, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 28

My dad got MRSA in his amputation, in the last of the incisions to heal. We have been worrying with it for months, but doctors say that we are fortunate to be containing it. We soak it in a small hot tub of Epsom salts twice a day, following that with a soak in clear hot water, then fizz it with drops of hydrogen peroxide cleaned with a cotton swab, and then Bactroban (mupirocin ointment) applied with cotton swabs. We cover it with a clean bandage, anchored by some paper tape on both sides. Every day, twice a day, and I can tell you that this only contains it, never heals it.

Comment from: Patmadmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have used chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) to cleanse my skin when I get an MRSA pimple or boil. Get it at Walgreens or online. It kills the bacteria and doesn't sting. It works to manage MRSA. I am a registered nurse and have had this for almost 10 years. It does work.

Comment from: MomwithMRSA, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had MRSA multiple times, numbering in double digits, since I was a junior in high school. My two year old has now battled it twice landing her in the hospital both times. Sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim) has started losing its potency and it was the only thing that helped in my case. I"m battling a current infection on my upper thigh. I had it looked at and incised. It healed but I thought it was still too fiery and tender. The doctor looked at it, said it was fine, and sent me home, twice! Now it"s back again with a vengeance and has split open the original surgical scar to drain on its own. I have found nothing that works besides draining and pain pills, but I have found something that hurts. Do not use those antibacterial washes and Betadine baths! It hurts more than helps. It strips your body of the good bacteria more than the bad so you"re actually more susceptible to a recurrence. I also thank this site and blog so much. I was despairing that I was one of the only ones this happened to. My family has all gotten it, one or maybe two times and it has gone away for them. I hope they find a cure or something to help people going through this soon.

Comment from: Bayoujoe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

After my second knee replacement in 2010 (no problems with the first one in 2009) I started rehab three days a week. After twelve sessions my knee wasn't much stronger so my rehab was extended to twelve more sessions. I was getting progressively worse and could barely lift my leg. I was in so much pain that I was sent to the hospital where they drew fluid from the knee and sent me home. A couple of days later they called me and told me to get to the hospital right away, that the tests showed that I had two different infections in my knee, one of which was MRSA. I stayed in that hospital for 25 days. They put a peripherally inserted central catheter (PIC line) into my heart to pump antibiotics into my system. While I was there, I returned to surgery and they removed my knee prosthesis and placed a medicated cement in the vacant joint. I was transferred to a long-term facility and stayed there for 34 more days for a total hospital stay of 59 days. They told me that there was the possibility that they would have to amputate my leg. I did everything they told me to do so I could get better. My roommate had MRSA also but they had already amputated one of his legs and he eventually succumbed to the infection. He wouldn't always follow the doctor's instructions and it cost him his life. I received my antibiotics through my PIC line for a total of six weeks. Two months after being released from my 59-day hospital stay, they removed the medicated joint and placed a new prosthesis in my knee. I am not living in the constant pain as I was before I had the knee replacements but I had to pay a heck of a price to get there.

Comment from: Phil, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

Infection area was large and required lancing and removal of necrotic tissue and then packing to allow drainage. The incision site was large and healing lasted for nearly 10 weeks starting with repeated packing until it started closing and then cleaning area with antibiotic soap and application of a bandage changed twice daily. Oral antibiotics were administered for 10 days each using clindamycin and Bactrim. They also swabbed my nasal passages to determine if I may be a carrier. They did a sensitivity test on the samples taken to determine the best course of treatment. After the infection site was closed, they gave me Bactroban Cream to apply to the infection site and surrounding skin area to assure that any residual bacteria on the skin was killed. I experienced two episodes of MRSA infections and the first time the antibiotic treatment period with Bactrim was only 7 days and apparently not long enough to kill the infection and it recurred. It has not recurred from the 2nd longer treatment and use of the Bactroban Cream.

Comment from: veg954, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

The only thing that helped the severe pain of costochondritis was morphine, IV fluids and nothing by mouth for three days. All tests were negative. Another thing that gave me some relief was lying on my stomach with three pillows under the abdomen. So grateful it is finally gone!

Comment from: OHSU patient, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had a small lesion on the nose. Internist w/MPH said it was deep pimple and drug tested me, came up with only prescription drugs. After almost two months, dermatologist swabbed and it was MRSA Staph. I'm on doxycycline, seems to be resolving in my favor.

Comment from: patrick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

After 20 different doctors, loads of different medications, manuka honey, tea tree oil, oil of oregano, phenomenal, Alcan and colloidal silver I had high hopes of one day illuminating the MRSA bug. It"s been over three years now and I don"t have any answers and neither does anyone else including naturopathic doctors (they don"t even call you back!). Hopefully I will be cured of this mess for I am thinking all the time who am I passing it on to.

Comment from: bax72455, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I was treated with all of the last resort antibiotics and skin creams, I can't remember all of them. I was in the hospital on and off from September 2012 to March 2013, I've been back 15 times for various MRSA infections and you have outbreaks just when you think you got it licked. I am trying natural remedies at this time, tea oil, vinegar, and Epsom salts.

Comment from: Healthy One, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

Four years ago when I was 45, I got MRSA. Mine was not on the skin. It was between the bone and muscle of my left leg. It took two weeks to finally get diagnosed after visiting 2 doctors and the ER twice. I was in incredible pain and could not walk. I spent two weeks in the hospital having surgery every other day to debride and clean out. I was on vanco for two weeks then switched to linezolid for 2 more months. The MRSA came back in the same place 4 months later. Another two weeks in the hospital on vanco, then home with a picc line with daptomyicin for 4 weeks. Then put on oral Bactrim but it made me sick so I was put on oral dyxicocyline for another 7 months. I have been healthy since but almost lost my leg when I first got it. Recover was long and I still have residual pain in my leg (and a 12 in scar!)

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

Initial lesion was deep, under left arm, swelled alarmingly within 3 days (about half tennis ball sized). Had surgery to drain and remove. MRSA was diagnosed from culture, 10 days oral antibiotics, another lesion returned on neck 10 days later. 10 more days standard oral antibiotics lesions reappeared within 4 days on neck, face, upper arms. A CDC doctor placed me on Bactrim for 90 days was not pleasant, but it worked perfectly has been 4 years, no further incidents after the 90 day treatment. Thank you doctor.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

My daughter was recently diagnosed with MRSA. She is only 10 months old. About a week and a half ago she had a huge abscess on her lower back, my husband and I took her to the ER, it was lanced and drained and they took a culture. We came home and continued to drain the pus 3x a day for the next two days, it cleared up and I didn't think anything of it. Then just a few days ago the hospital called to let us know that it was MRSA, I had never heard of it before. Well, it's scary, my husband, myself, my 2 year old son and my daughter are all taking the prescribed mupirocen, and I've been cleaning away. Wish I had been educated on MRSA before, but it's here now and we have to take the necessary steps to prevent it, placing my faith in the Lord.

Comment from: harrisn144, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I first developed a boil on my right buttock a year ago. It turned into cellulitis and I had to have it lanced and packed for two weeks. I was given Bactrim which worked to heal it. Two weeks after it healed, another spot came up around the same area as the first. I immediately got put back on the Bactrim again and the second spot cleared up. A year has gone by with no problems, now this week what I believe to be another MRSA boil has appeared on my labia. It burst within only 3 days. I drained it myself, cleaned it well, and then applied a triple antibiotic ointment. It seems to be healing well. I am trying to avoid going back on the Bactrim as I don't believe it's healthy or wise to consistently be on antibiotics. Thus I'm trying to treat any outbreaks with triple antibiotic ointment, keeping the area very clean, and avoiding anything that may break my skin in sensitive areas.

Comment from: Horrified, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 03

Six months ago I found what I thought was a boil on my labia. After two days of hot soaks and no relief, I asked my Doctor to take a look; she aspirated the area and cultured it. Initially we thought it might have been a tick bite because I spend a lot of the time in the woods, the test results showed MRSA, I was put on Doxycycline and cipro for 7 days. Gone for 8 weeks and the cycle started all over again, and since then it has occurred 2 more times on my labia. One week ago I got what I thought was a small bite on my right thumb, so I went to the doctor, swabbed it, MRSA!! This time he put me on Bactrim DS. gone for now but what do we do to cleanse out bodies of this horrible disease???? I work in the healthcare field and I am scared.

Comment from: pdc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I have MRSA, with many painful, red, swollen, hot, open sores on my forehead, scalp, both arms, both legs, and an ankle. I believe I may have had this for 10 years, but did not know what it was in the past. I cannot get treatment.

Comment from: Scooter, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Good luck on fighting MRSA. I got MRSA in 2006 and have been at war with it since then. Lots of surgeries and hospital stays. One thing to help you fight it is to have a lot of family support. I had my family then to help me, but since then all of them have passed away except my brother. Stay positive and remember to do a lot of research because you are the one fighting for your life.

Comment from: Christina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had MRSA for 10 years now and have taken every possible antibiotic, prescription body washes, bleach baths, ointments. You name it I've done it and I still have it. My grandmother actually passed away from it in April, it infected her lungs. I have children and I work in the healthcare industry and am worried about how this affects those around me.

Comment from: help123, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 17

My daughter was diagnosed with MSRA, we had three incident within a 30 day period. She on several antibiotic, and we're at the doctors almost every other day to drain. Does anyone know how or what should I do to house proof my home. I youngest daughter (4) got one in the buttock - really afraid for her because she is always getting hurt and cut. Any suggestions!!!

Comment from: sodone, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

My husband went on dialysis five and half yrs ago. Three months into he got mrsa due to the dialysis unit not keeping his port clean. It went to the mitral value and took two years to get it under control. He has been on 5 anti bodies and now is on 3, vanco, zyvoc, trempra. It works, but the cost destroys you financially. Can not operate on mitral he is a risk. Staying out of hospitals is the best advice.

Comment from: susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I was hospitalized the first time and given an introvienice broad-spectrum antibiotic for two weeks and continued orally for an additional two weeks. I wasn't tested further for infection or to see if it had cleared. I've had two more infections since, but no continued testing after treatment.

Comment from: Vicki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have been treated several times for MRSA. Bactrim. They have lanced several and packed them. It goes away temporarily with the antibiotic, but always returns. I cannot seeem to get rid of it. I keep getting it in the same area around the buttocks. I have bleached my entire house. I wash my hands at work. Please help. I'm looking for a specialist. I have to get rid of this.

Comment from: lynmarie0123, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 18

I'm a caregiver for my 92 year old father who now has MRSA. It started as a rash type outbreak on both shoulder blades. It was so itchy he couldn't stop scratching and it later developed into shingles, then MRSA. The constant scratching is what caused it, the irritation. He was given Famvir for the shingles, then 2 oral antibiotics, doxycycline and SVM something or other, along with 60 mgs daily of Acidophillus. These 2 medications made my dad deathly ill, so now he only takes the doxy/acid together. The doctor lanced, drained the pus, and the infection over a course of 3 painful days. It continues to be extremely itchy and painful. I have to let it air dry for one hour a day, then repack for 10 consecutive days. Both he and I were also prescribed a nasal cream/ointment. It's pretty scary.

Comment from: TMRH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I believe that I contacted MRSA while in the hospital giving birth. Initially identified as a spider bite, my first experience only ended after a round of antibiotics. Bactroban/mupirocin works to a certain extent, but only after the bumps have surfaced. After suffering for more than 7 years with MRSA, I have been taking Oracea on a daily basis. It is a time-release doxycycline, that keeps the boils and pain problems at bay. It is very expensive, but I see a problem if I miss one dosage, so it is mandatory that I take it. It has given me the most relief.

Comment from: jenny, Published: March 14

I had MRSA a few months ago. It started out with what I thought was a spider bite on the back of my thigh. It was itchy and painful and had a black center. It became swollen very quickly, so I decided to go to a doctor. They prescribed me with Bactrim, which didn't seem to do anything. Eventually, the boil popped and even though I know you're not supposed to squeeze it, I knew I needed to get all of that crap out of there. A friend of mine had MRSA a few months earlier, and he told me to buy Hibiclens. This product is seriously the best on the market. I used it every day until my wound had fully closed up, and I still use it every once in a while. MRSA is so scary and I still find myself waiting for another one to pop up. So far so good though. Good luck. Popping it/getting it lanced was the most important step for me.

Published: October 13

I am desperate. My daughter has now been diagnosed with MRSA for the second time (wound on skin). Her fiance has had it once and her year-old baby was hospitalized with this condition as well. She has seen an infectious disease specialist and all anyone does is throw antibiotics at all of them. I am very afraid. I am an RN and I feel the entire family should be decolonized and treated more aggressively. I am terrified of the "super bug" thing developing.

Comment from: mistreated, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was diagnosed with MRSA before having surgery and was untreated even after surgery and the weeks following. I got MRSA in my incision, causing a hole in my belly. I had to pack dressings on my wound. This took three months to heal and now they (the hospital) are denying everything, saying I was treated. MRSA is not any fun to have and hard to treat when it is so bad.

Comment from: luckyones, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

Last year, my husband developed MRSA. A pimple appeared on his right buttock. When it burst, the infection went inward causing nausea and dreadful pain. A cocktail of antibiotics were given daily for three to four months while in the hospital. By it being in such a sensitive area, he needed a colostomy bag placed until infection healed. They cut away dead tissue four different times until it was all gone. He's great now, and the colostomy bag was removed. His bottom had a wide maybe 4-inch-wide opening that was 1-inch deep. The wound vac wouldn't stay on. What healed him was the cocktail of antibiotics.

Comment from: forpetessake, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

This is my third time having this "nastiness". It makes me feel so dirty. The first time I was given a generic antibiotic...it healed within 10 days. The second time was less than three days from the first...same antibiotic given and lanced open. Healed within 24 hours! This one is on my leg. It's been a week and it still hurts, they drained it in the emergency room and the doctor gave me Bactrim pills, Bactrim cream for under nails and nose. I'm walking around with a "bullet" hole in my leg, so very ugly.

Comment from: trishcooks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

The infection is inside my right ear canal/middle ear. I have had chronic ear infections for a long time. I have a suppressed immune system due to RA and the meds that go with it. My GP has given me 14 days of Bactrim. He also wants me to see an Infectious Disease doctor, but kind of left it up to me and I don't know how to find one or who is good, but my rhuematologist is helping me to find someone and I have had to postpone my treatment for RA until the MRSA is under control.

Comment from: jonnyb, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My Daughter got MRSA from a cut that came into contact with a gym floor. If you are an athlete in gyms a lot don't mess around if you see an inflamed area where a recent wound was.

Comment from: Hopeful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

It's been since March 2011 that I've been diagnosed with MRSA after my neuro stimulator was put in. It had to be removed due to the infection and I've been hospitalized 2x more since because the infection keeps reoccurring & they have to re-open the surgey site and clean out the infection. I've been off antibiotics for a week now and go for blood work tomorrow. Infection was all clear as of friday. My white blood cells are very low though & they're watching them. I'm also getting headaches in back of my head/base of neck, with some nausea.

Comment from: michellek, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 02

My treatment began with high doses of keflex but the levaquin was added as we waited for culture results. When I began running a fever, I went to the e.r. and had it drained and packed and cultured again. I then started a high dose of bactrim along with keflex. Currently, I am treating the open wound as they removed my packing yesterday. The fevers are the worst part of this process.

Comment from: Tee Tee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

My infection was treated with doxycycline hyclate 100mg and sulfameth/trimethoprim.

Comment from: jobee, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

After initially being misdiagnosed with shingles, my two year old was given a 30 day prescription of Bactrim. Three areas on her buttocks opened and drained for a few days and now are dried up and healing. There is a fourth spot that is still red and swollen. I hope it doesn't have to open and drain before it will get better.

Comment from: mari, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

This my second time with the outburst but this time doctor told me it is MRSA. I am not happy this is very painful. I am now taking antibiotics for 2 more weeks then surgery I pray this is it.

Comment from: dawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I went in for a simple carpal tunnel and trigger finger surgery and came home with MRSA. Not only was it upsetting for me I'm a nurse who takes extreme caution to care for patients who have infections and not to spread them and I catch it in the very place I work from having surgery.

Comment from: DISTRESSED, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My MRSA went on untreated the first time and within 5 days it went from size of a blueberry all the way into a huge puss filled boil about the size of a golf ball! I waited for it to burst on its own which was dangerous and dumb and made it also spread to couple other parts of my body recently. I went in to the Doctors this time and they didn't have to lance it because I went in immediately before it worsened, but they gave me a strong antibiotic I had to take 3 a day for 14 days and it worked.

Comment from: Magicman, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 03

A one-half inch bright red spot appeared on my arm overnight opposite my elbow. I thought it might be a recluse spider bite except that there was no sign of any punctures. The skin was sloughing and appeared to start to deteriorate. I immediately treated with melaleuca oil and DMSO. (dimethyl sulfoxide) The site is still slightly red after 3 weeks but no longer bright or infected. Melaleuca oil has proven to kill all forms of bacteria and even HIV. More people should use it--especially for burns. I treat my gums with the oil every night to prevent any possibility of abscesses, etc.

Comment from: Laureen, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I went to the doctor for strep and got amoxicillin and returned four days later because I was still running a fever and I still couldn't hold anything down or get out of bed. I was given a different antibiotic, cefdinir. The next day I noticed an unusual boil on my chest, and then one on my shoulder. I went back to the doctor, and was given rifampin and sulfameth/trimethoprim. I noticed the infections quickly and got them treated quickly and they cleared up. Now, almost a year later, I have another boil – wonderful... I hear so many terrible stories about MRSA and I'm worried about being a carrier for the rest of my life. I'm only 20 years old right now.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

My doc gave me a capsule called Moxclav which is 1000mg. As soon as you feel that pimple caused by the MRSA, just take a tab of Moxclav. It will not let it grow.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter