Patient Comments: MRSA - Describe Your Experience


Please describe your experience with MRSA. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mommarosie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had MRSA in 2011. It was treated with doxycycline and Septra. I became allergic to both of them. Then I was treated with Medihoney and zinc impregnated gauze followed by an Unna boot. After the infection cleared, my whole family had to take daily showers with Phisohex for 7 days. I then tested negative after that. Now it has come back in the exact same spot. Both times it presented as actual blisters; it looks like I have a 2nd degree burn. Now I have to have a CT scan to make sure my bone integrity has not been affected. Just wonder, it doesn't look like boils or pimples.

Comment from: Gingerjoe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I've had MRSA for 4 years. I contracted the virus while staying with my family who has the virus, although no one was having an outbreak at the time. I think some people are more likely to get the virus than others. My dad and all of my siblings have it. I have found that I get it around the same time of year, in the same area, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. I've had 4 surgeries due to MRSA. I've spread it to my husband and I'm sure that I will get it again and again. It is extremely painful and just makes me feel lousy in general! One of the worst aspects of the virus is the fear most people have of it. It's embarrassing! And there's nothing you can do about it! I'm a clean person; it doesn't matter what I do it just keeps coming back!

Comment from: HOG, riding girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was admitted to the hospital ICU for severe swelling of the face and throat, of unknown origin. Long story short, I had to have surgery, and during surgery I got MRSA. I was discharged with MRSA. About 4 weeks later I noticed 2 scabbed lumps at the incision sites. I scraped the one I could reach. Pus flowed from the lump, and as the day and night went on the pain was so severe I couldn't sleep and sat in my bed rocking back and forward. My Dad took me back to the emergency room at 6:00 am. I was put back in the ICU for 10 days and started on IV vancomycin twice a day. Between the 2 stays in the hospital I was there 25 days. I was discharged on IV for 2 more weeks. All in all, total nightmare.

Comment from: SeaDog, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I have been diagnosed with MRSA and have had 4 surgeries to open, drain and flush the openings. My MRSA colonized in my pubic area and I was told it was only a result of the many hernia surgeries I have had. I am a urostomate (where I got the MRSA in 2003) and have herniated around the ostomy site as well as along my abdominal scar lines. I am diabetic, and have 5 discs in my back that are degenerative. I cannot now have surgery or any injections in my back to relieve the pain. MRSA will be the cause of my death, my doctors all tell me I am in the best health I will ever be. Depression rules my life. I live on antibiotics which have destroyed my bladder and caused the urostomy, overtreatment by antibiotics.

Comment from: Hodema, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I somehow contracted MRSA about 8 or 9 years ago. I'm not exactly sure how because it could have been from using the bathroom after an extended family member with a leaking boil used it (I didn't know though). I ended up getting a boil on my right butt cheek which grew to about the size of a quarter within three days and was very, very painful. So I ended up going to the emergency room since it was the weekend and they asked me questions pertaining to a possible spider bite. Then they told me it was a boil and lanced it. I followed up with my doctor and he prescribed me Bactrim. Then after a few months and a lot of boils later he told me he found out it was MRSA. At that time he prescribed me Cefzil and cefuroxime one after the other. I can say it helped, but didn't stop me from getting boils. Since then I have moved and have found out I have other diseases so I've kind of put it on the back burner until now. Now my job is on the line because I work in a cheese factory. I always have at least one boil at all times, mostly on my face and jaw because I am already prone to acne and also on my shoulders and back and occasionally on my butt, arms and vagina. I am tired of suffering from this and my other diseases and I wish more people, especially doctors, knew more about it. I really don't know what it has done to the inside of my body all these years of no treatment, but I also have endometriosis so I may never know because my insides don't look very good now anyway.

Comment from: christinal4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had problems with strep throat and plantar wart in my feet as a kid. In my late 30s I had a bite on my stomach, which ended up getting so bad the doctor drained it and gave antibiotics. I thought nothing of it. Now at 43 I had a small bump in my armpit. I thought nothing of it until a month later. By the way I was not shaving on that area due to the bump. Anyway, the thing got bigger and bigger, and next thing I knew my entire arm was swollen. I ended up in hospital. That is when the first out of three doctors told me I had MRSA. I was in isolation and confused. Now, a month later, I still have severe pain in my elbow. My armpit has pain, more like a burn sensation. I don't use my typical Dial soap anymore, I use Hibiclens and baby shampoo. It is frustrating. It is painful and hard to explain to people.

Comment from: annonymous, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I haven't yet been diagnosed but the pictures I have seen of MRSA is exactly what I have under my arm pit. My gynecologist told me I had another skin disorder, can't get the name. It keeps getting worse. A friend asked me if I had been tested for MRSA and I haven't. I will now. I see the doctor on Wednesday and I will request that test. I am in so much pain. I have spent a great amount of time in the hospital sitting with my husband. He had a lot of trouble with his heart and I was there with him a lot. It has gotten worse within the past 5 years which is around the time I met him.

View MRSA Slideshow
Comment from: newtoMRSA, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 19

I contracted MRSA by touching the skin of another person who is colonized with MRSA or by touching a contaminated surface from the emergency room that I went in to visit a family member. I had a scratch on my left leg and that is where the MRSA infection went into. Mine became a carbuncle very quickly, within 3 days. I went to the Health Department and was tested for MRSA with a culture. I had CA-MRSA. I was given the antibiotic, clindamycin to be taken twice daily for 14 days. Also I was prescribed clindamycin gel to put on the boil. I was prescribed Mupirocin to put in my nose and washed with Hibiclens. I also used Lysol in my home and bleach where I could. I also took and am still taking bleach baths. I used the alcohol pads inside my bandage daily changing the bandage 2 times per day and that helped the most! I used 90% alcohol on my boil after it drained on its own by spraying it on and around the area of the boil as the nurse at the Health Department did not want to drain mine from fear it would go septic. It has been a month and it is almost healed. It is scabbed over with a color of red and no swelling or hardness under the area. Alcohol was the key to getting mine under control as the antibiotics did not seem to help mine. Bleach baths seem to have kept anymore from showing up on my body as well as taking proper care of the boil until all the infection came out. I spray alcohol on any cut, scrape, ant bite, or bruise that I get on my body, and I haven't gotten any more MRSA outbreaks so far. Note: I still have not shaved my legs or underarms yet and will not for a few more months. I eat raw garlic also. I try to avoid sugar and white flour, bread and do not drink sodas. I drink a lot of water. I get a lot of rest at night and take a nap when I can in the daytime. I wouldn't wish this mess on anyone as it was very painful. I had chills and a small fever the first 2 weeks.

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a hysterectomy in 2011 and shortly after my surgery I started to develop small blisters on my lower arms. My doctor could not figure out what it was at first. It took until September of 2013 to get diagnosed as MRSA. Since my diagnosis both my arms have been covered from shoulder to the tops of my hands several times. I am allergic to sulfur so I was prescribed clindamycin and Bactroban ointment. Three weeks ago the MRSA infection started to attack my joints. I am a mother of 2 and I could not even lift my arms to hug my children. I went to the doctor and he gave me prednisone steroid which helped immensely, my arms were clear and joint pain was gone within 3 days, only to wake up this morning to another flare up on my arms, and the joint pain back. This is a terrible awful disease to have and I feel for each and every person who is suffering with it.

Comment from: strangerthanur, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been dealing with MRSA now for over 5 years. I have had it on my eye, my chin, buttocks, hip, knee, back of my thigh and I am getting an outbreak on my eyebrow bone. I have been dealing with breakouts for the last 2 months on my face and I have been doing it all, sanitizing all the areas I am in and keeping my infected area clean and mostly covered because the areas I get it in, it is hard to put a band aid on sometimes. So I put a big blob of triple antibiotic ointment on it and mostly hope it won't get full blown. I have even resorted to straight Clorox bleach drenched on a cotton ball directly on the infected area before it gets full blown. I know when I am getting a symptom of MRSA and I immediately go into prevention mode. I have too many scars from this nasty infection so I try to keep it from getting full blown. My infections only take 3days to be full blown then it's too late and it's a longer recovery time. I have done all the hospitals and doctors and medical bills that are outrageous, so I started treating myself and I let my immune system help fight it off. The prevention procedures I battle it with also help so the out breaks don't get as nasty and painful like before and the recovery time is about a week; but I must be diligent the whole time during the infection. I will say I am getting tired because it's been nonstop for me now for almost 2 months but I will not let this bug win no matter what.

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

This past July I developed a small sore on my forehead. It was really itchy and I kept scratching at it. It started to get better but then got worse. I finally saw my doctor and he put me on some antibiotic. The next day the right side from my forehead to just below my right eye was swollen and my right eye was closed. It then got worse so I went to the emergency room because I was so sick. The sore on my forehead was huge with black stuff leaking out of the sore and most of my face was swollen. I couldn't see out of my right eye. At the emergency room they hooked me up to IV antibiotics and told me that I would be staying at the hospital for at least 3 days. They did a swab test and I was told I had MRSA. It also had gotten into my blood stream and they were worried about that. I was treated with 2 IV antibiotics. I also had a surgery done on my forehead and head to open up the sore and clean it out. Then a wound VAC was hooked up to the sore. I spent 9 days in the hospital and after I got out I had 2 weeks or oral antibiotics. A month later I had surgery done on my forehead and head by a plastic surgeon to put my scalp back together. I have a 4 inch scar from my forehead to the back of my head and another 3 inch one from my left ear to the middle of my head. I still get bad headaches from that surgery. Since the first MRSA experience I've had 3 other episodes. One on the left side of my jaw and it wasn't too bad. It cleared up with oral antibiotics. The second episode was along the 4 inch scar from the first episode and was a bad abscess. It hurt a lot and took days of hot packing it and getting the pus out, along with oral antibiotics before it would clear up. The most recent one (now Dec 2013) started as a small sore by the side of my mouth caused by shaving. By that evening the right side of my face next to my mouth and including my lips, were swollen and a large hard bump developed. I saw my doctor the next day and he put me on oral antibiotics and I've been hot packing the large bump. The swelling and bump has gone down a little bit but I've only taken 3 doses of the antibiotics. I'm hadn't gotten any pus from the sore yet. I may end up having to go to the hospital if it doesn't get better. It is very painful too.

View MRSA Slideshow
Comment from: Grumpy Dad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I contracted MRSA in May 2012 (3 weeks into recovery) when my right hip was replaced. I had a surgery to clean out incision infection and was put on intravenous antibiotics for 6 weeks and oral antibiotics until the end of the year (my blood "markers" were all good). In March 2013 the MRSA surfaced again in the hip incision. I had surgery again to clean out the infection and it appeared the infection had not reached the hip implant. At a follow up appointment in July, X-rays showed the implant had failed due to infection in the femur. Surgery in August confirmed MRSA in the femur. I currently have a medicated spacer in the femur and am receiving intravenous antibiotics. I have surgery scheduled for October 10th. If a frozen tissue sample shows that the infection is gone, I will receive a new hip. If the MRSA is still present, a new medicated spacer will be put in and the intravenous regimen will begin again. I was forced to take a medical retirement in January 2013. I have been on crutches or a walker since January. This has been a nightmare for me and my family. I am hoping for this treatment plan to be successful so that the 6th surgery on my right hip in 17 months will be the last.

Comment from: skippy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I developed MRSA in October 2012 and have had 6 recurring infections since then. The most recent, in the past week, has been the worst on my right top thigh that had a red, swollen, hot area near the abscess that extended to the middle of the thigh to my hip. My doctor put me on 10 days of Bactrim twice daily and 10 days of cephalexin four times daily and it is clearing up nicely. He did, however, explain it may or will happen again, so I need to contact him as soon as something pops up that's sore or expands to any extent quickly, so he can treat it immediately. Thank goodness, because I was able to avoid the surgeon--this time.

Comment from: PrettySenshi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I started getting these cysts several years ago, and had one on my chin, which I was able to drain myself, luckily. My doctor wasn't able to determine if it was MRSA or not, but a couple years later, I got another one on my chest, which the doctor lanced, tested it, and it was confirmed positive for MRSA. Little did she know, there were actually two cysts on top of each other that I only discovered after I started streaking red. Ended up getting it busted and drained myself, but extremely painful. I have one on my forehead in between my eyes right now, and one on my cheek and it's extremely painful. My head is pounding and it's pressing on one of my eyes, but because of its location, the doctor can't lance it and test it to be 100% its MRSA, but due to my history, it's strongly believed to be. I am starting on two different antibiotics and I hope this takes care of it. MRSA does not play around. You can notice a bump one day, and the next, it's a size of a silver dollar. Definitely get it checked out if you think you may have it. Not only can I get MRSA, but I am also a carrier a swell.

Comment from: Boppy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a scab on my knee. Fell on a gravel path at a dog park. Knee bled but I ignored it as it was very minor. It seemed to "heal" but about 4 or 5 days later when I tried to get out of bed in the morning I had pain in my back and legs so bad my wife called 911 and ambulance took me to a hospital. I don't remember the next four days but my wife said a doctor there took samples of my blood for a 2-day test and determined I had MRSA. It was attacking my lower spine. They performed surgery and "removed" the growing MRSA. Recovery was 7 weeks in rehab to learn to walk.

Comment from: kwolfe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I ended up getting two golf ball sized cysts in my right arm pit. There was pus everywhere when the doctor cut them open. They sat there wide open for about 45 minutes. Two weeks later I had blood infection, red stripe all the way from my hand to my right armpit. I ended up getting blood poisoning.

Comment from: Euodia, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

I am a nurse who was giving wound care services at home. The patient"s postoperative ORIF (open reduction and internal fixation) last year turned into a diagnosis of osteomyelitis and after tests of blood and pus culture, results were found to be MRSA. A few days ago when I was taking care of his wound, I got splashed in the eyes, with the pus from the patient. Then I immediately stopped my work and washed my eyes immediately with water. The next day I had sore throat, runny nose and headache, but no fever. My mucus changed color to dark yellow for 2 days, I did not take antibiotics, only consumed a lot of fruits and vegetables and took a multivitamin. Now I still have itchy throat, mucus has changed color to white.

Comment from: Tarhe54, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 17

I had a sore in my nose and used Polysporin on it, which seemed to cure my problem. At the recent doctor visit, he wanted to test it and it came back as MRSA. The doctor prescribed SMZ-TMP DS 800/160, a sulfur drug and rifampin capsules 300mg, which I am taking two per day for 14 days. The rifampin causes dizziness and almost unbearable bad stomach pain.

Comment from: Butterfly Lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have been quite sick since August, 2012. In December 2012 I was hospitalized for surgery. Within days, of being back home, recuperating from surgery, I saw two red raised sores on my abdomen; then on my right upper arm, then the sores spread to my other arm, and both legs, which I was told was cellulitis, on my legs, It took weeks to heal the legs, but now, almost one year later I have MRSA like sores all over both arms and my abdomen again; I was swabbed on one area a few months ago and it came back I had a staph infection, I was put on antibiotics and antibiotic cream and the sores went away, but only for a short while. Now the sores are all over both arms! I am very concerned as I have the chills frequently and low grade temperature and generally do not feel well!

View MRSA Slideshow
Published: November 07

I developed MRSA after I scratched what I thought was a pimple on my right buttock. Two days later, I got this huge lump at the area where the pimple was. The following day, I went to our Immediate Medical Center and was started on Bactrim. I was told to hot-pack the lesion. After I hot-packed the lesion, the infection spread like wild fire. The following day, I was unable to walk because my entire buttock was purple, full of pus, and extremely painful. My primary care doctor sent me right to the hospital where my surgeon performed emergency surgery on me. I now have an 8-inch surgical incision that has been laid open so it can heal from the inside out. The wound is now about 3/4 inch deep and 2 inches wide since it has healed somewhat thanks to the "Wound Pump" I will be wearing for at least another three weeks. I was hospitalized and given massive doses of antibiotics and will be on antibiotics for another three to four weeks, or more if necessary. My surgeon told me that he had seen many cases of this sort, but none that compared to the amount of necrotic tissue and pus he had to remove from me.

Published: June 24

I woke one morning with an itchy area along my jaw line. Within four days it was large; it appeared to be a "pimple - gone BAD!" It was too sore to touch or try to pop. I saw the doctor on day 5. He numbed the area, opened and drained the sore and took a sample. Due to my sensitivity to sulfa-based drugs, he prescribed Ciprodex for 10 days. That, with the several follow up appointments, changed packing and dressing, has cleared up my MRSA infection. It is now day 18, and there is a slight hardness to the area, a very small scab and an indentation in my face. I'm so glad I intervened.

Comment from: SRM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I have read about people having good success with MRSA using essential oil, internally (lemongrass and Thieves oil in gel capsules) as well as topically (lemongrass, tea tree oil, oregano, Thieves, and frankincense in rotation). I hope that helps!

Comment from: jc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I recently had a total hip replacement but came out of the procedure with MRSA infection of the right hip.

Comment from: Traci, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

The first time going to the doctor I was diagnosed with impetigo and was on a wash and antibiotics and ointment. I was not getting better so went back to the doctor a week later and now he has me on clindamycin topical solution to clear the MRSA up.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have Lupus and scheduled to have a full hip replacement. In the pre-operation blood test, MRSA showed positive.

Comment from: Asl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I know I have mrsa, large pus filled boils on legs and back. I am very sick and doctor doesn't know anything about mrsa. I had to make her wear gloves to examine me. I feel I may be dying, have been trying to get help for a month.

Comment from: Christy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I lived with MRSA for a decade. the symptoms began as skin lesions that later escalated into ongoing pneumonia.I went un diagnosed for many years this destroyed. my immune system the MRSA traveled from skin to lungs affecting. the heart and kidneys and ending up in my brain this damaged the left side and also destroyed. my hearing. ICU saved me after ten years of agonizing misdiagnosis I'm glad not to be part of the staph death toll.

Comment from: ,o,skid, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 10

My mom was diagnosed with MRSA when she was hospitalized for a radical double mastectomy. The diagnosed it by taking swabs of her nasal passages. After being put on the antibiotic, which she used religiously, she got a staph infection in the incisions from the surgery. She is a dialysis patient - has been for a little over 3 years. About 8 months ago, they had difficulty getting the fistula for the dialysis to work and they sent her to the hospital. She was admitted for a procedure to unclog the fistula, place a stent and place a couple of balloons up there as well. She was put into an isolation room with no telephone or bathroom. She was told it was because of her history of MRSA. Why not do the rapid test and see if she is carrying it? It was very demeaning for her to have to call and have a porta-potty brought in - to say nothing about the lack of privacy. And when she wanted to use a phone, we had to go out and find one from a nurse. Is it always going to be this way when she is admitted to a hospital now? She hates the isolation rooms because they are primitive!

View MRSA Slideshow
Comment from: Jane, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 08

After my uncle had a heart attack and open heart surgery, he picked up the MRSA virus in ICU. It spread to the wounds in his chest and he had to spend four months in hospital. The virus destroyed his chest and ribs. The result is that no ribs can be replaced by screws because of the weak remaining rib structure. He lost 35 kg of weight, and has to learn to walk again. We don't know what the future holds for my uncle.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

I just lost a dear friend to MRSA. She suffered for years. She possibly developed this from caring for her mother, who was on oxygen. My friend changed her mother's nasal set up frequently. She was treated for a persistent cold, then flu, and finally, MRSA. It was already in her blood stream. She had surgery on her spine, where it settled. She suffered for years. Her liver was destroyed from the antibiotics. She would swell up and have to go through constant tapping. She died at age 54 – loved life, and fought hard, until the end. She wanted to beat this so much!

Published: July 07

I am 21 years old and one night my thigh right above my leg started to hurt and just kept hurting more and more and swelling more as the night went on. After a day I could hardly walk on my leg because it hurt way too bad. I had a scab on it and picked it off which caused my leg to puss out for 48 hours until I finally had my surgery. Any pressure on the leg would make it puss out a lot more. By the second day there was a white stringy puss coming out along with the thick bloody puss. They cut my leg open and cleaned it out and I was on vancomycin 3 times a day for the week I was in the hospital and even though I have been released I have to go to the hospital every 12 hours for another treatment of vancomycin. This is going to last for at least 2 weeks after I am out of the hospital and then after the 2 weeks they will see how my blood samples look and I may still have to go in for treatments longer. I normally do not like to go to doctors but I am very happy that I went to the ER for this one in a reasonable amount of time of 2 days.

Published: July 07

I have been diagnosed with MRSA. I have had many Surgeries and Hospital stays due to it. My advice to everyone is if you think you may have signs of the infection, please seek medical attention immediately. I thought mine was just a simple spider bite, but I was wrong, my dad was the one who told me about the infection, when he looked at the red swelling of the area, he stated that it looks like the MRSA. I got up to go to work the next morning, and I couldn't even walk because the area infected was right at the bottom of my knee cap, and as soon as I went into the emergency room they took one look at it and they knew what it was. I have had many medications, and hospitalizations from it. Keep Lysol or Clorox wipes handy, and antibacterial sanitizer handy so it would spread to others, I just hope that all of you are healthy and never catch this, because it is really devastating and painful to have and I just don't want anybody to go through what I have been through over the past 9 months!

Published: June 26

I have been dealing with these abscesses in my armpit for going on about 6 years now they are very painful. They are like little cyst that appear from nowhere I had many the size of golf balls and 2 the size of a baseball. I have had 12 removed from under my arms and many others that drained by themselves. Well back in the beginning of May this year I had another one. I went and had it lanced then the end of May I got 2 more, same thing I went and had them lanced it was then that they told me I had MRSA . I don't know how long I've had it. I'm taking all the precautions I can to make sure my two boys don't get it. I have read a lot about it on the net and to be honest I'm scared to death. I worry about it so much I make myself sick to where I can't eat for 3 or 4 days because I have my stomach messed up. So it's a daily stress for me.

Published: June 20

I'm a college student, and I contracted MRSA at the middle of my first semester freshman year. I had what I thought was a pimple on the back of my thigh, right where my rear comes in contact with my bike seat. It got a little nasty, but it drained a few days later. I had several small abscesses through the course of the year; I just assumed everyone got them once in a while. A month before my spring semester exams, I found another abscess in roughly the same spot where my very first sore appeared. I figured if I left it alone, kept it clean and kept it dry, it would take care of itself. Not so much, I found -- a few weeks later it had swelled to the size of my fist. The pressure was so intense I had to sit cross-legged leaning over so I could minimize the pain. I couldn't walk without limping. Right before my exams, I began feeling so nauseated that I couldn't get off the floor. I laid in our bathroom and alternated sobbing and vomiting for an entire Saturday. My poor roommate had to watch me crawl around the room and cry because walking was now impossible being that it was extremely painful. I went home to my parents so I could have some privacy and soak my leg in the bathtub and apply hot rags. Three days of rest, no activity whatsoever -- that's the only thing that got that terrible thing to drain. It's debilitating. I have had two more mild ones since the huge one, all on the back of my legs right below my rear. I'm waiting on the results of a nasal swab that is supposed to determine if I'm a carrier. I don't know what I'm going to do if I have to deal with these terrible nasty things for the rest of my life.

View MRSA Slideshow
Published: June 19

I have been diagnosed with MRSA and I have a friend that will not come near me. My two sons, niece and son and other family members do not seem to be afraid. Initially, I was afraid of the diagnosis - still am. I try to take plenty of precautions but it hurts that my best friend is just letting me to deal with this alone. She works at a school and has a new grandson - which she states are her main concerns, but the main concern is that I am not healthy.

Published: June 18

I was hospitalized at the end of January with double pneumonia. Early February, I had a small 'pimple' on my right eye brow. It hurt like hell, kind of an intense throbbing feeling. Almost overnight, my face swelled to the point where my right eye was half shut. I went to the doctor and the wound was cultured. Turned out to be MRSA. I was put on Septra and after about a week, with hot compresses etc it seemed to clear. Since then, I have had 7 other bouts of MRSA (face, feet, neck, and most recently the back of my head. It is a very painful condition that I'm afraid will continue to re-emerge.

Published: June 18

My grandson came down with MRSA and had to have it drained and about 1 month later the MRSA came back same leg/area, we got him on medication and it went away but he has been getting the rest of use [people] we are all getting MRSA. We have cleaned the house, washed everything with bleach, but no help it spreads like fire, how can we get it gone? Doctors here in Ohio don't know much about this MRSA, it took us 2 months to know what my grandson came down with, doctor told us not to worry it was only a abscess, it is something to worry about this can kill doctors don't tell you that, we found info on this site thank you I opened my doctors eye, we knew something was wrong.

Published: June 12

Sleeping 20 hours a day. No energy. Swelling & knots at the sight of infection in arm. Diarrhea now. MISERABLE. Can't work

Published: June 11

Two years ago I contracted CA-MRSA. I was only 14. The infection was in the soft tissue of my left shoulder. The doctors didn't catch it for three days. By the time someone decided to do an exploratory surgery, I had a fever of 104.3 and had lost 20 lbs. I almost lost my arm because I was sent home three times from the ER. I was on antibiotics for six weeks after I got out from my month-long hospital stay. This completely ruined my swimming career now that my left arm is too weak. I really want doctors to start cracking down on this diagnosis.

Published: June 11

I have been dealing with boils for many years. I was told to just go in and have them lanced and everything will be fine. I was told by a doctor that I need to have a complete Hysterectomy and that will help with the boils. I had the surgery done and about 2 months after I got a boil again. Well I was going to a doctor that was lancing them but I got tired of going in every two weeks to have that done plus the last time he didn't numb me enough and started to cut and I told him and he continue to cut. So for the past three years I have been treating them with triple antibiotic ointment and gauze. They will usually break and release the pus out within 24-48 hours. Well I have no insurance so I went to the area clinic two days ago to have my feet looked at because I have diabetes. Well she saw my bandage on my leg and asked to look at it. I showed it to her and she is the one that told me that I have MRSA. I was like what? She explained to me what it was and put me on Cipro 500 mg for a month. She told me to continue what I am doing for it plus make sure I wash my hands all the time and wipe things down in the bathroom. I do that anyway when one of these flare up.

Published: June 09

I have MRSA and I have also been told it has infected some mesh inside of my stomach that was from a hernia operation 4 years ago. I'm freaking out because my doctors say it's too risky to take out the infected mesh. Now that I have started to investigate MRSA I really think I need to have the operation.

Published: June 09

My husband, 86, has 2 year history of PAD & PVD with chronic ankle ulcers. Current ulcer is positive for MRSA and will be treated with IV Cubicin 350 mg IV q 24 hours x 2 weeks. Femoral angioplasty is being considered. He has moderate emphysema. Non-smoker, non diabetic.

Published: June 05

I had a 'pimple' on my upper thigh at the end of March and popped it. Within a week it turned hard and black and I ran a 103 degree fever and went to the ER where they numbed the area with lidocaine and cut out most of the infection within. A swab was taken to culture, and I was admitted and needed surgery the next morning to remove the rest of the infection, which went down to the muscle in my thigh. I was diagnosed within 48 hours I had MRSA in my blood as well as at the infection site. I was on Vancomycin via IV round the clock in the hospital for 13 days, then for 14 additional days at the hospital as an out patient. I am now 2-1/2 months past my MRSA infection and surgery and have yet to get my strength back. Tonight I have a sore throat and I'm feeling pretty lousy. My temperature is only 96 degrees, so I'm calling my doctor in the morning. Hopefully I only have a cold and not a re-emergence of MRSA.

View MRSA Slideshow
Published: June 04

I had to have a Hysterectomy and ovaries taken out and they took fat around my intestines and my appendix as a preventive measure to cancer - I had to stay in hospital for 4 nights and was told I could leave on the 5th day. I had an infection Urinary Tract Infection got pills from a clinic but called the doctor - they tested me for infections. I was told by a phone call that I have MRSA - I think am a carrier because they are not giving me anything for it but told me to make sure to wipe down the surfaces I use when in bathroom and to wash my hands often etc. I am very sad - they put this in my medical card so now anywhere I go the hospitals will know that am MRSA+. Gosh am very sad

Published: June 03

My wife was bitten by a brown recluse five years ago. She then contracted mrsa it bunched in her l4 and l5 spinal vertebrae. The docs thought it was a terrible herniated disk. It was not it was MRSA. The doctor said he had never encountered such an incident in his career. She has since had 4 skin grafts on her leg shin. None would take. Her whole bottom left leg is nothing but skinless meat. We have to wrap it 3-4 times daily and she is currently scheduled for one more shot at a skin graft. If this one does not take we are afraid she will lose it. The back of the leg is dermatitis and sores that itch so uncontrollable that in her sleep she scratches it until blood and sores are everywhere. I too have contracted MRSA and was given doxycycline and Bactrim together. I'm not sure this was a proper combination because I have had other breakouts (severe) I also feel weak and useless after an hour or two of working.

Published: June 02

About 4 years ago I had MRSA and I thought that I had gotten bitten by a spider because it was a big pimple looking boil that hurt like hell. Well gradually it began to spread to different parts of my body like the backs of my legs and arms and that's when I knew something wasn't quite right. I was always feeling sick and sore like I couldn't move anywhere without being in excruciating pain. Well after a few months of having this so called MRSA I had went to a doctor and they told me that it was because my body had gotten immune to antibiotics and that the only way for it to release itself was through these sores.

Published: May 23

My two year old daughter has MRSA. She had it first about two months ago and, was treated but now it is back almost like it has never went away. It is back in the same exact spot as before except this time it is spreading more rapidly. Just recently my 12 year old daughter got it as well and was treated and seems to be doing great. Unfortunately I fear for my two year olds life.

Published: July 01

I got MRSA in my nose from a pimple-like bump that then became a serious infection. It was very sore, red and tender for around two weeks. It went away with medications and treatment, but now it's been gone for around two months, but I seem to have the symptoms of it again except now it's on my arm.

View MRSA Slideshow
FDA Logo

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter

By clicking Submit, I agree to the MedicineNet's Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet's subscriptions at any time.