There are three types of mouth guards: stock mouth protectors, boil and bite mouth protectors, and custom-fitted mouth protectors. Custom mouth guards provide the most comfort and protection and offer the best fit; they are made from a hard, durable material that is molded to your teeth. They function to protect the teeth from sports injuries and grinding during sleeping (bruxism). Read more: Mouth Guards Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ, TMD)
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Cocaine and Crack Abuse
Cocaine is an addictive stimulant that is smoked, snorted, and injected. Crack is cocaine that comes in a rock crystal that is...
Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)
Bruxism is the medical term for teeth grinding. Bruxism may be caused by stress or anxiety and often happens during sleep....
Dental injuries range from a chipped or fractured tooth to a knocked out tooth. Treatment depends upon the severity of the dental...
Braces and Retainers
Find out more about how orthodontic braces and retainers can provide proper alignment to crooked teeth. Get information about the...
Oral Health Problems in Children
Oral health problems in children include thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, lip sucking, tooth decay, and early tooth loss. Get...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Don't Let Your Kids Get Sidelined With Sports-Related Infections
- Pint-Sized Football Players Still at Risk for Injuries
- How to Help Keep Your Kids Safe This Fall
- Injuries on the Increase in High School Lacrosse, Study Shows
- Avoid Sports Injuries: Advice From an Olympic Doctor
- There Is No Safer Football Helmet for Kids: Study
- Experts Offer Tips to Help Keep Fall Sports Injury Free
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter