Patient Comments: Mold - Location in Home

Describe where you found mold in your home. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Cinelli1, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 07

I think I've found mold in my mother's coffee maker. This is the first time I've actually helped her while she was making coffee. The inside of the unit was quite a mess and I could see what looked like black mold on the inside of the water tank. I know this isn't healthy but what I can tell her to convince her to get a new maker and get rid of this disgusting mess.

Comment from: Mold Removal Express, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 01

I found mold in my basement, electronic appliances, carpets, leaky areas, roofs, dirty areas, etc.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 23

There was a leak in the ceiling in the kitchen which caused the mold. The leasing office has fixed the leak and informed me that I can relocate to another apartment or move out without breaking my lease. My last option is to remain in my apartment.

Comment from: Concord6533, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My husband and I owned a home east of Cleveland, Ohio with bad black mold before knowing anything about the health risks. The home was very shaded (had trees overhanging the roof), had poor drainage (gutters growing saplings, green moss on roof, tree roots blocking downspouts and drain tiles, backyard was swampy until mid-June, crawl space not graded correctly and no vapor barriers, and very drafty due to poor insulation) and had a high water table (about 4 feet below ground). We lived in this home for 12 years when we were 23 to 35 years old (1985 to 1997). We battled the mold with diluted bleach on a weekly basis as it took us years to determine the multiple sources and fix, on a limited budget. I developed severe allergies and numerous bouts of bronchitis. Long term effects, my husband died at 48 of an oligodendroglioma (brain cancer similar to glioblastoma) and I was diagnosed with aplastic anemia at 48. Coincidence? I think not. Do whatever you can to detect and eliminate.

Comment from: rufussings, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I live in the home I was raised. The basement has had a musty smell for a few years. Last year I started coughing a lot. But this year after it rained so hard in June, some water, more than usual, leaked into my basement. It stayed very humid and damp most of this summer. The smell was worse and worse. I coughed more and more and I was also throwing up. I have been using a fan and opening a window in the basement and using moisture remover, until I can get a dehumidifier. I have also been removing floor tiles and some of the paneling and spraying it with Tilex mold spore killer. I also bought a mold bomb that I will use before winter. It seems to be getting better. It will travel through the vents with central air. So, I try not to have it on and use room air conditioners.

Comment from: outlander1ca, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

There is black mold in my bedroom due to a leak in the ceiling.

Comment from: sunyalive, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

Looking at all symptoms I thought it was pneumonia starting but found mold spores in air conditioner. It is just a year old but where I live is very humid! I'll make sure I clean it more frequently, at least the screens monthly; yes monthly, not 6 months as I was told!

Comment from: Butterfly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I went to my physician today after having difficulty breathing. One diagnosis he gave me was inflammation of my airways and I was prescribed steroids to alleviate the problem. We know the mold is behind our shower wall. Lately I have been seeing small black specks on floor of shower. A while back my boyfriend used bleach and water to try to remove the mold. He also used caulking to seal around this wall in the shower. This he did around six months ago.

Comment from: Suri, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

We moved in to a rental house and after using the washer/dryer to wash the cloths and bed covers, we got irritations all over the body. Skin got red and itchy and started to be swollen as well. For a week I was taking allergy medication and spent enough money on it until I found out this is because of the dark black mold that was in the washer rubber that connects the steel frame. After having contacted medical agencies they advised me how to get rid of this mold and related allergies.

Comment from: rejs21, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

My son and daughter-in-law found mold in the baby's play pen where the baby sleeps. They wondered why even after thoroughly cleaning the room, there was still a foul odor. After checking the play pen, they found bits of mold on the outer plastic of the removable board. Then cutting it open, found more mold. We realize now that's why my granddaughter constantly has a runny nose. I just hope this information is useful to anyone that uses a play pen for a crib.

Asthma Attack Treatment
Comment from: thesterlinglady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

We just discovered a severe mold problem under our kitchen sink after removing the entire bottom board. We kept smelling it and tried to bleach it several times even painting it. So when the board was removed the entire bottom of the foundation and the cupboards are covered in live growing green and black mold. Our landlord is supposed to have it fixed tomorrow but we wonder if we should still be staying here till then. They will put us up for one night but I"m worried about right now and if it"s safe to even be in here.

Comment from: chezmay 57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

A few months ago we moved into a house which we later were told had been seriously flooded. It appeared the house had been refurbished since the floods so I wasn't concerned about it until I developed a bad case of bronchitis. I saw the doctor several times and was prescribed antibiotics but the cough wouldn't go away. My husband and foster son both had persistent coughs too. After 16 weeks of chronic illness, headaches cough, sinusitis, runny noses, itchy eyes etc. we moved out and discovered the backs of bedheads were covered in mold. I went back to the doctor who has then agreed with me that it is the mold that is causing our respiratory problems. We're still trying to get better but at least we've moved away from the source.

Comment from: Loretta, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

We have black mold in the bathroom and under our carpet.

Comment from: Patience4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

We've had a leak in the air conditioner, and in the bathroom upstairs. That flows through the walls to downstairs bathroom and for months we have been smelling a moldy smell throughout our home.

Comment from: Sany, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I have found brown mold on the inside of the window sill in our basement, a thick layer of it.

Asthma Attack Treatment