Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: abc, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was fishing and hooked a stingray and was stung on thumb while removing a hook. I had immediate severe pain, hand and then arm started getting numb and heavy. Pain continued up and under arm. Then started chest pain. I went to the hospital and was immediately seen though others had been waiting 4 hours. I was put in hot water, and given a shot of prednisone and antibiotics. I was sent home with antibiotics and Benadryl prescription. I had a tetanus shot a few months ago. Chest pain continued for several days and got severe 6 days later. I felt awful at work and then went to the emergency room. I had ok EKG, but they admitted me. I was given Benadryl and a small dose of morphine for pain. Body was very red and I was itching. I was released a few hours later. They said they thought it was a reaction to antibiotics with exposure to the sun. It is still hurting. It hasn't been 5 whole days yet!

Comment from: novascotiagal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have had sciatica over the years but worse this year than ever before. Mine is not caused by a disc or back issue but due to the muscle that runs deep in the behind; so I am told. The pain was excruciating. I took naproxen and Tylenol and got some relief. Occasionally I took an anti-anxiety pill as it relaxes muscles and I had spasms at times in the muscles that would almost cause me to fall. I had severe pain and a feeling that that my leg was being hit with a hammer causing sudden loss of balance. I went to see the doctor and she prescribed gabapentin 100 mg to take 3 times a day. And I could increase to 200 mg in 4 days if it didn't work. I took one and it was like a miracle. Pain stopped, I slept soundly all night and in any position; I was so tired of sleeping fitfully on my back! Now I take naproxen as well and the two seem to do the trick. The doctor felt that this might be only a short episode and I should be able to function without medication in 3 to 4 weeks. I am told this medication is dangerous with bad side effects but so far I am only a bit drowsy and hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones as it is making my life so much better.

Comment from: Birdlegs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Tuesday, October 27 I was given a flu shot at 11:30 and that night I vomited, had diarrhea, chills and fever. There was swelling and redness at and around the injection site and it got progressively worse. By Saturday 31, 50 percent of my upper arm was swollen and red with a 3 inch diameter patch of blisters at the injection site. My doctor's office is closed on weekends but I was able to get help at a walk-in clinic. Now I'm seriously wondering if I may have been given a tetanus shot by mistake. I had similar reactions when given a TDAP shot 3 years ago. I have felt exhausted in addition.

Comment from: Jrilo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

One day I was getting ready for work. I sat down to put socks on and felt that my buttock cheeks were sore. Not something you go around talking about. Next morning I couldn't stand up all the way. The pain I felt was ridiculous. My mom told me to soak for a while in a hot bath. After soaking a few times the pilonidal cyst came to a head and was ready to be popped. I just couldn't see it to get it. Last thing I wanted to ask my girlfriend to do was pop it. The pain was too much and I had to do something. I lay on the bed face down. I gave her a razor and told her to pop it and squeeze it till nothing but blood came out. After it was drained I was able to stand up straight and walk normal and the pain was gone pretty much. Popping and the cyst returning happened back and forth for years. I had surgery, about a 6 inch incision down the cleft. Surgery was awful. I ended up ripping stitches and bleeding for about 4 months straight. Finally after going to the doctor every day and getting my bike painted with silver nitrate, the incision finally healed.

Comment from: wendon, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 28

I have always had some arthritis pain in my hips, but tolerable pain. I used to walk 2 miles per day and my hips would hurt for maybe the first mile, then it would ease up. For the last month I can't walk for 200 feet without a severe burning pain in the front area of my hips/top of my legs. I can't even continue walking at all it hurts so badly. I just have to stand still for 1 to 2 minutes until the burning pain subsides, then walk for another 100 to 200 feet and stop again. I've had MRIs and x-rays on my hips and am told that I am not a candidate for any hip replacements.

Comment from: dhey0225, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

Ever since I was still in high school, I already experienced chest pains and palpitations. Due to fear, I did not go to the doctor for consultation. Until one night, while having shower, I suddenly experienced chest pain that was not relieved by rest. Immediately after I report for work, I asked a colleague to do an ECG for me. I'm a nurse, by the way. My ECG showed early ventricular repolarization. I got scared this time so I consulted with a cardiologist. He ordered a series of lab tests and an echocardiogram. The echocardiogram revealed that I have anterior mitral valve prolapse. I took propranolol two times a day for 1 month for my chest pain and palpitation as prescribed by my doctor. I was also advised to engage myself in sports and to avoid any forms of stimulants. I was 23 when I was diagnosed with it. Now, I am 26 but still living a normal life just like others!

Comment from: katy 57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse 30 years ago. I am 57 now. I had just given birth to my second child and kept feeling tired. A 24 hour Holter monitor and an echocardiogram confirmed it. I also had to get a pacemaker and a year ago received my third pacemaker.

Comment from: mritechn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) today. I have been having chest pain, shortness of breath, and anxiety attacks. My physician put me on blood pressure medications and put in me contact with an awesome cardiologist. My cardiologist immediately ordered a stress test, ultrasound and echocardiogram, all in the same day. She shared with me her findings and showed me there was a very, very small leakage. She stated I have had this all my life and it's congenital, thank goodness thanks all it is. She stated I can continue with exercise and watch my diet a little closer. Now I am on a low dose of anxiety medication when I need it.

Comment from: RXTech1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I was diagnosed at 20 with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) with mild mitral regurgitation, by a cardiologist performing an ECG and an Echo. Symptoms included palpitations and tremors. I recently noticed an increase in symptoms such as chest pains, orthostatic hypotension, marked palpitations (heart pounds randomly without exertion), fatigue, and shortness of breath when walking up stairs. I had an ECG and Echo and both came back normal. ECHO only shows trace mitral and tricuspid regurgitation.

Comment from: Sgeorge, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am 42 and was diagnoised with MVP three years ago. Mine condition is not severe and may have gone undetected except that I went to the doctor after feeling an occasional flutter in my chest. To my it felt like butterflies and I would also get light-headed. MY PCP examined me and noticed a murmur. I was sent to the cardiologist for an ultrasound and a 24-hour Holter monitor which confirmed the MVP diagnosis.

Comment from: AmandaEmily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse when I was 8 years old. I would get stabbing chest pains and had an irregular heartbeat. I remember having an ultrasound of my heart and that confirmed the MVP. When I was born 3 months premature in 1985 I had open heart surgery to close a valve that did not do so on its own, the scar is now clear under my left shoulder blade I as have gown ALOT since birth. I still follow the diet that excludes caffeine and stimulants. Always pre medicated for dental visits (all though in the past few years they tell me that the standards have changed and I no longer need to take the antibiotics) I still get stabbing chest pain occasionally and/or anxiety, usually brought on by stress or a lot of physical activity. Fatigue had been a big problem for me since I have been a child. I am the only one in my family to have MVP. I have learned to live with it.

Comment from: Kel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with MVP 2 years ago after having a fluttering sensation in my chest. My mum had a valve replacement 4 years ago so I decided to get my fluttering checked out and after tests and examinations it was confirmed I have MVP. Since then my sister and my daughter have also been diagnosed with valve issues which according to my consultant is a fascinating find as usually it does not pass down generation to generation. Also it only seems to affect the females in our family as my son and nephew are fine. Although I generally coped well I have in the last year been affected badly with anxiety which can be a symptom apparently.

Comment from: Gardenlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

My heart murmur was first diagnosed as MVP with a stethoscope and confirmed with an echogram. At the first echo, I was told it looked ok, but that they would want periodic repeat echos to make sure it didn't get worse. Well, 3 to 4 years went by and the doctor said maybe you should get an echo, it's been a while. So I did. He phoned me and said the cardiologist who read my echogram called it 'horrible.' I had severe regurgitation and my heart was enlarging. I went through a few more tests and was quickly scheduled for surgery. I was lucky to only have mitral valve repair and not replacement. I came out of the surgery fine and three-years post-surgery, I am well. I feel like I've never regained the physical stamina I once had, but the tests show everything looks normal once again.

Comment from: Kimberly, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I was 16 years old when I started to have MVP, now I'm 18, just a few years after it started. At first I thought it was just some heart burn or something, but when I went to a doctor, she said I have to take the ECG test to know how my heart is doing. To make sure what's my problem, so then it was confirmed that I had MVP, she gave me Propanolol to take 3x a day. It causes to have low blood pressure and it's the cause of my dizziness and just a week ago. I experienced something really painful sort of a pinch poking through my heart, it lasted for like 3 minutes or so, I was just lying in my bed. I didn't know what to do until now. I can take some advice.

Comment from: Guitarist, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 56 year old female who has had mitral valve prolapse (MVP) since I was a teen. A young doctor who was giving me a physical exam to play sports picked up the "click" when listening to my heart. After that, I had echocardiograms with a specialist every year. Eventually, this turned into once every 3 years, then every 5 years. I have experienced the fluttering heart, extreme fatigue, migraines, anxiety, panic, and even infertility. It wasn't until 2 years ago that I realized that it was related to MVP and that I wasn't alone.

Comment from: stephanieG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 26 years old and I was diagnosed a couple of months ago. It was very scary at first considering I had seen so many doctors and they would all say it was nothing I thought I was going crazy at some points in my life and then finally I switched family docs and he sent me to a heart specialist that figured it out. I also have two small boys so the sensation of my heart palpating was very scary. For the past three years I've felt them and was freaking out and knowing now what I have has given me a piece of mind also reading all of these as well has help a ton. I think the best advice I got was if you feel that something is wrong with you don't give up. You know your body better than anyone.

Comment from: Becca0204, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I was 26 when I had my first child. The day I got out of the hospital from having her, I ended up back in the ER for shortness of breath. I was diagnosed with a murmur and after being back in the hospital for a week and extensive testing I was diagnosed with MVP. I was told to have it checked every 5 years but that I was fine. Jump to 9 years later I have moved to another state and I started having palpitations and anxiety attacks. I went back to the doctor and we did testing to determine that I still had MVP but that now I have to be checked every 3 years. The palpitations have subsided without treatment and now it's just every few months here and there. I am not on any medication, but I started having a lot of fatigue.

Comment from: sabrina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I'm 24 years old. I was told I had mitral valve prolapse when I was 14. My heart races all the time and I had a lot of chest pains. It got really scary sometimes. I could be sitting down for an hour or so and my heart begins to races out of control and I start getting light headed a lot. At least I know I'm not alone in this. The doctors here say it's not deadly or nothing and I'll be just fine.

Comment from: bill g, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I was being checked at the plant hospital for another problem when the nurse heard the clicking. I was put on a 24 hour monitor and diagnosed with MVP. I had no symptoms except I was tired a lot. I've had a few echocardiograms and stress tests. The valve starts to work perfectly after two minutes into the test so I just live with it. I do fall asleep for a few minutes when I get home from work but not sure that is a result from MVP. I was diagnosed 23 years ago and am a 59 year old male now.

Comment from: mayzie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was 19 when my doctor notices a murmur in a checkup and referred me to a cardiologist. He ran a series of test, stress test, echo, stress echo and a tilt table. It came back that I had a mild MVP and a mild Regurgitation and I had neurocardiogenic syncope. He prescribed Atenolol, I think I only took it for a few weeks. I'm not a fan of drugs so I avoid them, besides I really didn't have symptoms, but as I got older I did start experiencing symptoms, little things the irregular heart beat (usually a fluttering in the heart)with a little chest pain, I do get dehydrated very easily and tired. Now I'm 31 my symptoms have gotten worse, the irregular heartbeats are happening more often, chest pain, fatigue, dizziness, and headaches. I went to the doctor and he did prescribe metoprolol and as much as I dislike taking pills, I have been taking them every day for the last month and half and honestly it has only made me feel a little better. The cardiologist also sent me to do another stress test and stress echo done last week (I get echoes and stress test every year) and my cardiologist told me the leaflet in my mitral valve was thicker and that I had a true prolapse and I have arrhythmia. Let's see what happens. I just hope this doesn't get any worse.

Comment from: scared in oh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am a 41 year old woman. I was officially diagnosed in January of 2005! I have always had a murmur since age 4. I have a scary problem that I live with. When, I guess, my MVP acts up I feel like a fish out of water. You know, you can't get a deep breath to save your life, you have to make yourself yawn, and don't even try to listen to anyone around you, because that just scares you more into thinking you are going to die! I would like to know if there is anyone else out there like me? Please, I'm so scared! It happened yesterday in the ER. I wasn't there for that, no one would help me, they just kept taking me to x-ray, then did the x-ray while I was like that. I finally got myself calmed down, alone in my ER room! Please I need to know I'm not alone! Thank you!

Comment from: Rowan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse in my 30s. I have had scarlet fever, don"t know if this has anything to do with MVP. My mother had a murmur as do I. I mainly feel tired and have anxiety with tightness in my chest. I usually have the worst flutters when I bend over at the waist and stand up. Sometimes feel faint. Also, the muscles in my upper back get tight also making me feel as if I can"t take a deep breath.

Comment from: DHem3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was 13. Doc heard the classic click sound. Since, i have been told through sonagrams of the heart that it was one of the worst ones the tech had ever seen. My heart skips beats and I almost pass out. So I am on Lopressor/ aka topril to regulate my heart beat.

Comment from: BB, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 19

My husband died suddenly in 2005 at the age of 29.The cause of death is myxomatous degeneration of the mitral valve. After my husband passed away, my son was diagnosed with MVP. I do take my son yearly to a cardiologist, but I am concerned. My husband only had one symptom and that was anxiety and heart palpitations. He did not exhibit any other symptoms like fatigue or depression.

Comment from: lyn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I am a 16 year old female and I was diagnosed with MVP. I was having chest pain, palpitation and irregular heart beats as well as occasional loss of breath.

Comment from: Leslie3223, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I recently turned 43 years old and was diagnosed with MVP about a week ago. I periodically had chest pain that felt like a burning sensation and sometimes a stabbing pain in my ribs under my left breast. Since I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux I thought it was heart burn or something related to Reflux. In January of this year the pain got bad enough for me to go to the ER. I was diagnosed as having something called costochondritis. I was prescribed an anti-inflammatory drug and sent home since my EKG was normal. I was recently in the ER again for the same pain and it was again diagnosed as costochondritis. After following up with my own doctor she decided to do a battery of tests which included an EKG, stress test and an echocardigram. All blood work and test results were normal except for the echo which showed MVP. I was again prescribed anti inflammatory drugs for a week and if this doesn't help then my doctor said she would try me on a low dose beta blocker which should eliminate my main symptom which is chest pain.

Comment from: bebe, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

When I was in the sixth grade I ran track in Dublin California. It was very hot but it was nothing new to me. After I ran around the track one time I sat on the bench and when I was in the process of catching my breath I felt a very strong heartbeat and as I kept breathing it got faster and stronger. The coaches saw that I looked as if I was going to faint so they rushed me to the nurses office. The nurse recorded my heartbeat until it was back to a steady pace. The pain was bad and if I bent forward or if I was standing I would get a sharp pain in the middle of my chest. My heartbeat raced for an hour before it went back to the normal pace and I had to quit track. After that incident it stopped for a while, and at the end of the school year we moved back to our hometown and my mom took me to the hospital. The doctor performed an EKG on me and a few other tests. Later he diagnosed me with mitral valve prolapse. I actually just had what they call a "palpitation" right before i wrote this .

Comment from: Ariel Santa Catarina, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

Hi, I'm from Brazil and I'm 20 years old. I was diagnosed with MVP when I was 14. My only symptom is chest pain. When it occurs it makes me think that I will have a heart attack, then I have panic attacks and a lot of anxiety, It's disgusting, but my cardiologist said that my MVP is without hemodynamic repercussion (no regurgitation), and he also said that I will live normally.

Comment from: REBECCA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a heart attack caused blood clot from the mitral valve.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with MVPS at 25 after a doctor told me I had an irregular heartbeat during an exam. I've always had an anxious personality but, over the course of the last six months, I got progressively more fatigued, had lasting dizzy spells, and an increased shortness of breath. I went to a general physician and had to wear a Holter monitor, then get an echocardiogram. I learned my lesson early: The first cardiologist I was sent to told me nothing and was unable to diagnose me without "running more tests." I found a renowned cardiologist through a friend and was diagnosed with MVPS after a stress-echo. I am currently on Metoprolol to decrease my symptoms, and things are improving. The key with MVPS is to find a doctor who will listen to you: Most want quantity over quality. The doctor I have now listens to and answers all of my questions, which is the best kind of doctor to have.

Comment from: Jcardenas77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I've had a mitral valve prolapse (MVP) since birth. I am a 35 year old female, and I have not had a problem with it. Once in a while I feel the fluttering and chest tightness, but other than that I have lived a normal life.

Comment from: Martina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

When I was 16, I underwent a continuous fever, joint pains, and some abnormal things like chest pain and anxiety. My doctor confirmed that I have a rheumatic fever with mitral valve prolapse (MVP). Then I came to know that I became a MVP patient because of rheumatic fever.

Comment from: Gerard McGuirk, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I had the normal symptoms, but then developed Endocarditis due to Streptococcus mitis which led to me being placed in hospital.

Comment from: AnonymousinNYC, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 20

2 days ago, my daughter who just turned 7 years old was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse and has a minor leak. I am extremely saddened and worried and looking for any answers I can find. She will be having some testing performed in 2 weeks to determine if she has Malfan's syndrome. I am praying that this is not the case. I would appreciate any information or experiences anyone would like to share. I am worried sick.

Comment from: millie jo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Hi all. I am currently in the process of finding out if I have MVP. I am 34 years old now, and for the last 4 weeks I have been getting palpitations. I brang the symptoms up to my family doctor and she ordered me to wear the 48 hour holter monitor. That came back negative. So now for the last 4 days or so I have been getting sharp chest pains in my left side. I decided to go into the ER and they performed another EKG. However, that was normal too. The doc suggested that I may have MVP and just today I went in for an echocardiogram. I will find out by mid next week if I do in fact have MVP. My symptoms are chest pain, palpitations, and shortness of breath at times. I also have a history of tia's, a blood clotting disorder, HTN., and panic anxiety. I recently read up on MVP and all my symptoms are pointing in this direction. So, I guess I will see what the cardiologist confirms about my condition and I will post again when I know for sure.

Comment from: Boots, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

My Mitral Valve Prolaspe was discovered when I had irregular heart beats, and anxiety, I went to the emergency, I felt pressure in the center of my chest, it felt like I was having a heart attack. Later was sent to see a Heart Specialist and discovered I have a heart murmur and was given medication to the name of the medication is metoprolol succin (toprol XL) 25 mg taken once a day.

Comment from: Tayderbug, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a female and 15 years old, I just got diagnosed with MVP about a month ago. Got diagnosed because for a week I had chest pains very badly and I have always have trouble breathing. When I got diagnosed the first thing they did was a chest x-ray and it came back fine, then they did an EKG and didn't really find anything except that my heart skipped a beat every once in a while. They put me on a 24 our heart monitor and found that at times my heart rate would jump up to 170. They then did an echocardiography test and found out that I have MVP. I am now on a beta-blocker and hoping that it's working.

Comment from: Stella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I am 39 years old lady. I had several symptoms not very severe but annoying. I had chest pain like heartburn, palpitations very often, extra systoles, fainting. I went to many other doctors including psychologist - because I thought I had panic disorder - but finally a cardiologist find that I had a leaking mitral valve due to prolapse. I also have medium tricuspid regurgitation. I am almost perfect and I have already given birth to a girl. My daughter is now 15 months old.

Comment from: rairai, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have been experiencing chest pains several times before. I have also experienced difficulty in breathing but everything was under control and tolerable. Until last friday. I was brought to the ER that night because of "hypertension". My doctor requested me to undergo 2D Echo. The result showed that I have MITRAL VALVE PROLAPSE. It is primary cause of my "hypertension". I was told that I must not be stressed --- may it be physical or emotional.

Comment from: xtia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I was just diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) today. I'm turning 18 on March 11. At first, I only felt chest pains, but then I started to feel fatigue and headache episodes. That prompted me to see the doctor. I hope I will be able to live long.

Comment from: mly1980, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My brother and I both have mitral valve prolapse (MVP). We were diagnosed as infants. Now I'm 30 and my brother is 27. My brother has high blood pressure. I have PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions or extra heartbeats) and suffer from migraine headaches. We both take beta blockers. I'm on Inderal to slow down my heartbeats and it works to prevent migraines. We see our cardiologist once a year for echo's and halter monitors. I can't drink anything with caffeine cause it makes my heart race. We're not sure how both of us ended up with MVP, as far as we know no one in our family had it, but who knows generations ago before we had the technology to detect it.

Comment from: charmed_one1206, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

My mild MVP wasn't detected through ECG (perhaps because it is just "mild"). But because of the symptoms I often feel, including my fainting incidents, my doctor decided to refer me to a neurologist and a cardiologist. My neurologist said everything is normal, so my cardiologist wanted to be sure, and so she had me undergo 2D Echo test. That's the only time they found out of my mild MVP.

Comment from: Goliate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I'd gone to my doctor for a minor check when my blood pressure was noticed to be very high. This led to further tests which gave results of my mitral valve prolapsed and a further Rheumatic fever in remission.

Comment from: qwert y, 25-34 Male Published: February 14

I started hearing a whooshing sound around a dozen times a day, it was so loud people standing next to me could hear it. Went to the doctor and they think it may be MVP, I still have further tests to do. Problem only started when I moved to altitude (just over 1000 meters) and whenever I go back to sea level all symptoms disappear, and then re-appear when I get back to altitude. I think I need to move.

Comment from: suartel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

About 3 yrs ago I started feeling constant flutters and it would happen mostly when I was relaxed which worried me. I made an appointment to see a cardiologist and after wearing a holter for 24 hours, they did an echocardiogram and sure enough...it was mitral valve prolapse (MVP). Only a mild regurgitation though. He thought it best not to medicate and also advised said it is no longer necessary to take antibiotics prior to minor procedures like dental cleanings and such. I am 40 and do feel fatigued and my blood pressure is generally low, but I try to keep active. My worst symptom is the darn flutters and what feels like anxiety, but they have lessened significantly with acupuncture.

Comment from: Dee M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

My mitral valve prolapse (MVP) was noticed through a routine chest x-ray. I now have echocardiograms every 6 months. I visit my cardiologist every 3 to 6 months with extensive labs. I do have a long family history of heart problems.

Comment from: Anthy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My Sister was always extremely active but over the years she got tired more quickly whilst at the gym and ignored it thinking it was due to age. She was, however, also experiencing heart palpitations. When she was young she also had rheumatic fever and all this together encouraged her to go to the doctor. She had open-heart surgery to repair two valves. She is looking much better apart from the fact that she gets tired very easily and this is frustrating her. We have also recently heard of a woman who had 3 mitral valve operations and died on the 3rd. Why would someone who has had the first operation require a 2nd and a 3rd. The reason I am asking is because my sister is so stressed after reading that article and so worried that she would one day require a 2nd op that this is causing depression.

Comment from: Finch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) 4 years ago. I took all the tests required for the heart, to make sure what exactly was the cause of the chest pains; X-ray, 2D-Echo, Treadmill. It was frustrating though because when I was diagnosed, the doctor gave me a medication that was never explained much what it was for. I found out from friends and relatives that the medication was for those who have high blood pressure. Therefore most of them were thinking that it was just a blood pressure related chest pain. Normally, I feel chest pains that would cause me difficulty in breathing and my left arm would start feeling numb. Because I have difficulty in breathing, it caused me successive coughing until I would vomit with fluids that I don't know where it came from. My colleagues would ask me to drink water sometimes, they would massage my left arm to feel something and ease the numbness. I could even remember, I collapsed several times at work because I tried to hide the pain however when I stood up, my legs were numb already and I can't move a single step. They rushed me to the hospital, and there you go. Nothing! I was just asked to rest for days in the hospital, taking medications like vitamins and all. I have been admitted several times already because of this, however they can't figure out exactly what to give me for a medication. When I was first diagnosed with MVP, the doctor even asked me to avoid eating oily foods and soft drinks. Today, it's still a question in me what to do, how my heart is. Even if I read so much of these articles about MVP, I still can't stop asking why, what and how. I'm getting tired of it actually, and I don't even know if emotions as well effects it because sometimes if I feel sad or happy, or stress out with work or family or girlfriend, I feel all the symptoms.

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I was diagnosed in 2003 with mitral valve prolapse after having severe palpitations on a daily basis. I suffer from extreme fatigue and have anxiety, panic attacks, and depression. I cannot lie on my left side due to severe stabbing/crushing pains and I get a pinching sensation at different times. I faint easily and have to watch my diet and exercise. Caffeine and eating junk food seems to make things worse so I am very careful. I maintain a healthy weight and I enjoy running, biking, kickboxing and being active. I do require a lot of rest and relaxation and have to keep my stress levels in check. I take to Toprol and Prozac.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter