Patient Comments: Spinal Fusion - Experience

What happened during your spinal fusion surgery? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: David, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I had a 4 level back fusion surgery. The surgery has been a success. It's been almost 3 years. I still have some pain but nothing like before surgery. Downside, I am tall and thin but now have a pot belly due to the lack of movement in the stomach area as you can't bend, which does not agree with a normal sex life. But, if I had to do it over I would definitely have the surgery again. Make sure you have a good surgeon.

Comment from: Erik T. Bendiks,M.D, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: February 17

Those who have heard of lumbar fusion surgery might be aware of the benefits it brings along. It is a minimally invasive procedure which causes relatively less damage to the surrounding tissues. Unfortunately, in conventional spinal surgery, it was essential to cut through muscles and move them for reaching the spine. This, in turn, causes severe pain after surgery. Also, it lengthens the recuperation time. Rather than cutting as well as moving muscles, such minimally invasive procedures can gently spread through the muscles allowing easy access to the spine. Not only is it relatively lesser painful, but also does not take long for muscles to heal.

Comment from: nga99, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

Four months ago, I had surgery for spinal stenosis. The surgeon took a bone out of my back. The stay in the hospital was two days. Now I am scheduled for minimally invasive lumbar spinal fusion through my left side. This time the stay in the hospital will be 5 to 7 days with rehabilitation for 2 to 3 weeks. I don't understand why rehab. I have a difficult time going to the hospital because I only sleep in my bed. I can barely do the hospital stay and now rehab! I know I will be signing out. I don't leave my house normally except for doctor's appointment. It is just 4 months after first surgery and now this.

Comment from: flower, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I have had a spinal fusion on my lower back and it has been 6 years ago and now I am getting pains in my muscles and a lot of tingling sensations in my right leg that is very painful. I have osteoporosis.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter