Cultivating a love of movement can help you get beyond the concept of physical fitness as separate from mental fitness – and toward a lifelong program of good health through mind and body fitness. Read more: Mind & Body Fitness Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
ADHD/ADD in Adults: Symptoms & Treatments in Pictures
Most people don't associate adults with the term ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) but it is a common disorder in...
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Healthy Aging: How to Live a Longer Life
What is the best diet for longevity? What's the secret to living longer? Do vegetarians live longer? How can you live a longer...
How to Lower Your Cholesterol & Save Your Heart
Need to lower your cholesterol levels? Use these smart diet tips to quickly and easily lower your blood cholesterol levels....
Build a Better Butt: Workouts for Slim and Shapely Glutes
Want a rear view that kicks butt? Discover the right exercises, cardio, and style choices that can help in the quest for the...
Managing Concentration Killers: Smartphones, Social Media, and More
Finding it hard to concentrate? If you lack focus and attention, it may be internet addiction or the negative effects of social...
17 Must-Try Fitness Workouts in Pictures
Learn the latest exercise crazes such as TRX, pole dancing, Zumba, Kangoo jumps, boot camps, exergames and more that are designed...
Migraine Headaches: 14 Non-Drug Treatments for Migraines
Learn about 14 non-drug treatments for migraines. Acupuncture, biofeedback and massage therapy are among this list of non-drug...
Healthy Aging: Sneaky Depression Triggers in Pictures
There are many causes and triggers of depression. From too little vitamin B12 to too much time alone, look at these surprising...
Top 15 Immune System Boosters
Immune system boosters include foods, supplements, and lifestyle habits to help you fight off infections. A healthy immune system...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
Related Disease Conditions
Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause, and often is described as the feeling of warmth that spreads over the body, often starting at the head accompanied by sweating. Symptoms of hot flashes include flushing, excessive sweating, anxiety, and palpitations.
Menstrual Cramps and PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome) Treatment
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal pain, mood swings, anxiety and more. Treatment for menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include regular sleep, exercise, smoking cessation, diet changes, and OTC or prescription medication depending on the severity of the condition.
Emotional eating can be detrimental to one's efforts at weight loss. Learning to identify the situations and emotions that trigger overeating can help to break the habit and prevent future instances of compulsive eating.
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Good and Bad)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad" cholesterol, are lipoproteins that carry cholesterol through the veins and arteries of the body. HDL and LDL combined, is your "total" blood cholesterol. The difference between the two are that high levels of the "good," or HDL cholesterol, may protect against narrowing of the blood vessels in the body, which protects you against heart attack, stroke, and other cardiovascular diseases. But high levels of LDL, or the "bad" cholesterol, may worsen the narrowing of the blood vessels in the body, which puts you at a greater risk of stroke, heart attack, and cardiovascular diseases, some of which are life threatening.Triglycerides are found in body fat and from the fats you eat.
Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
About 2%-6% of adults have ADHD, a common behavioral problem. Symptoms include impulsivity, hyperactivity, and inattention. Treatment may involve ADHD education, attending a support group, skills training, and medication.
Binge Eating Disorder
Characteristics of binge eating disorder include eating more quickly than usual, eating until uncomfortably full, eating a lot of food despite not being hungry, eating alone due to embarrassment, and feeling disgusted by overeating.
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been scientifically documented or identified as safe or effective for a specific condition. Alternative therapy encompasses a variety of disciplines that range from diet and exercise to mental conditioning to lifestyle changes.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- 'Mindfulness' on Your Mind? It Has Limits, Review Finds
- Gym Closed? You Don't Need Exercise Equipment to Stay Fit, Study Shows
- Get Fit in Middle Age to Boost Your Aging Brain
- Ready to Resume Sports? Health Tips for Getting Back in the Game
- Mindfulness Helps Young Women After Breast Cancer: Study
- Instagram Influencers Making Guys More Body-Conscious
- Even in Dirty Air, Working Out Can Help Cut Risk of High Blood Pressure
- AHA News: At Nonprofit Fitness Center, Women Find Strength in Numbers
- Female Athletes Shortchange Themselves on Nutrition
- America's Gyms Are Reopening and Your Workout Will Change
- Tai Chi Could Be Good Medicine for Heart Patients
- Leonardo's 'Vitruvian Man' Ideal Isn't Far Off Modern Measures
- Exercise Habits Key to Gauging Seniors' Longevity
- Spirituality Helps Stroke Survivors, Caregivers Bounce Back
- Music Might Help Soothe Ailing Hearts
- AHA News: How Bacteria in Your Gut Interact With the Mind and Body
- Bike-Sharing Gets Commuters Out of Cars: Study
- Running Without Risk During the Pandemic
- More Trees, Parks May Mean Longer Lives for City Dwellers
- AHA News: How to Get the Most Out of Health Apps
- AHA News: Amid Coronavirus Crisis, Exercise Caution When Exercising Outdoors
- AHA News: Eat Healthy, Move Your Body During Pandemic
- Mindfulness a Powerful Tool for Aging
- How Many Steps Per Day to Lengthen Your Life?
- Indoor Athletes Often Lacking in Vitamin D
- Living Healthier Can Help Shield You From A-fib: AHA
- Squat, Don't Sit: Study of African Tribe Shows Why One Position Is Healthier
- Seniors, Getting Off the Sofa Brings Big Health Benefits
- Heading to Work on a Bike? You Might Live Longer
- Skiers Study Suggests Fitness May Stave Off Parkinson's
- Health Tip: Hand Exercises to Improve Strength
- Many Americans Are Inactive, With Southerners Faring Worse
- In the Future, Could Exercise's Benefits Come in a Pill?
- Want a Long, Healthy Old Age? A Healthy Middle Age Helps
- What Matters More for Obesity Risk, Genes or Lifestyle?
- Want to Turn Back the Aging Clock? Train for a Marathon
- Run Smart This Winter -- Here's How
- Health Tip: 4-7-8 Breath Relaxation Exercise
- Health Tip: Creating a Healthy Routine
- Mindfulness May Be a Balm for Breast Cancer Patients
- A Guide to Good Etiquette at the Gym
- Is Online Fitness Training Right for You?
- Can Your Eating Habits Keep Alzheimer's at Bay?
- How to Wait Out a Blue Mood
- Why Maintaining Weight Loss Demands More Than Willpower
- How to Get Ready Mentally for Your First Competition
- Health Tip: Using Fitness Trackers
- Just 2 Weeks on the Couch Starts to Damage Your Body
- For People at High Risk, Evidence That Exercise Might Slow Alzheimer's
- Take a Fresh Look at Fitness Classes
- Talking Health: The Vocabulary of Fitness
- Do More to Strengthen Your Core
- Do You Know Your Cardiorespiratory Fitness Level?
- Health Tip: Benefits of Yoga
- Former NFL Players Have Higher Odds for Dangerous A-Fib
- Dance Your Way to Better Health
- Elbows Key to Your Walking Efficiency , Study Shows
- No Amount of Running Is Too Hard on Your Heart
- 3 Moves for Better Balance
- TV Watching May Be Most Unhealthy Type of Sitting: Study
- Fitness in Middle Age Cuts Men's Odds for COPD Later
- Surprising Ways Owning a Dog Is Good for Your Health
- Human Endurance May Have Its Limits: Study
- Can Racquet Sports Give You a Fitter, Longer Life?
- Have Apps, Get in Shape?
- How to Burn Calories During Everyday Tasks
- How to Exercise on 'Rest and Recovery' Days
- Health Tip: Benefits of Fitness Boxing
- Astronaut Twins Show Space Travel Doesn't Bring Lasting Biological Changes
- Faith-Based Fitness Programs: What's in It for You?
- Exercise Key to Staying Slim After Weight Loss: Study
- Move More, Live Longer
- Do You Live in One of America's 'Healthiest Communities'?
- Tone Up Your Triceps With These Top Strength Exercises
- Beware of Drowsy Driving as Daylight Saving Time Begins
- Exercises to Build Your Upper Body Strength
- Small Fitness Gains Provide Big Heart Disease Protection: Study
- Fun Moves for Better Agility
- How to Pick a Fitness Tracker That's Right for You
- Mindfulness Might Ease Menopause Symptoms
- Strike Up the Band for Better Grades
- Want to Live Longer? Just Sit a Bit Less Each Day
- Mindfulness Can Help Tame Everyday Stress
- Building Passion When You're Not in Love With Your Job
- Staying Young at Heart
- Cross-Training for Fitness and Fun
- Health Tip: Help Create a Healthy Community
- Health Tip: Take Care of Your Mental Health
- Break a Sweat Over the Holidays, but Do It Safely
- Nagging Low Back Pain? Try Mindfulness
- Healthy Lifestyle Lowers Odds of Breast Cancer's Return
- Health Tip: FDA Discusses Possible Risks of Bodybuilding Products
- Exploring Fitness Workshops and Fairs
- Medicine Balls: Exercise Tools That Add Fun to Fitness
- 'Fitcations' Are a Great Way to Shape Up
- Fitter Folks Suffer Milder Strokes: Study
- Slaying the Couch-Potato Mindset
- Working Workouts Into Your Life
- Taking a Stand at Work
- 6 Steps for Promoting Heart Health in Women
- Eating Before Early Workout Helps Burn Carbs
- How Much Daily Exercise Do You Really Need?
- 5 Ways to Push Yourself to Stay Fit
- Free Weights or Machines?
- Fit at Midlife May Mean Healthier Brain, Stronger Heart Later
- Money Spurs Those With Heart Disease to Step Lively
- Walk Briskly to a Longer Life
- Use Your Legs, Boost Your Brain
- Health Tip: Stay Fit at Work
- Take Your Swim Workouts to the Next Level
- Making the Most of Gym Time
- Backbreaking Work May Shorten Men's Lives
- America's Fittest City: Arlington, Va.
- Turn Chores Into a Fitness Routine
- Stretching Can Help Get Seniors Moving
- Why More People Don't Walk or Bike to Work
- It's Crunch Time
- Abandoning Your Workouts May Bring on the Blues
- A Few Tips to Make for a More Active You
- The Benefits of Moving More
- 5 Ways Out of an Exercise Rut
- Fit Middle-Aged Women May Fend Off Dementia Later
- Health Tip: Too Much Exercise Isn't Good Either
- Health Tip: Resuming Activities After a Heart Attack
- Meditation Method a Matter of Taste
- Dumb Jocks? Not if They're Good at the Game
- Mild Memory Problems May Be More Common in Men
- Happiness Declining Among Twitter Users
- Meditation May Help Brain Tune Out Distractions
- Therapy, Exercise Help Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Tai Chi: Best Fibromyalgia Treatment?
- Computer Use, Exercise May Save Memory
- Good and Bad Health Habits in U.S.
- Exercise for Energy: Workouts That Work
- Pilates: The Benefits of Pilates Exercises
- Workouts: Mind-Body Exercises Boost Body Image
- Yoga for Weight Loss?
- Yoga: The Many Styles of Om
- Dancing for Better Health: Mind, Body & Spirit
- Yoga: Slim Bodies, Strong Minds
- Yoga and Pilates: A Blend of Exercises
- Fitness: Find Fitness Bliss with NIA