Patient Comments: Migraine Headache - Causes

Discuss the triggers for your migraine headaches. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: debd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I started having monthly migraines after giving birth to my first child. The only time I didn't have them was when I was pregnant with my next two children. The migraines returned once I got my periods again. I went through all the OTC pain killers and anti-inflammatories, several prescription meds and many alternative methods. With a very strict diet there was some relief, but the slightest variation would cause a relapse. My migraines always included nausea and vomiting. Once the vomiting started, that indicated the point of no return and I would just have to ride it through for 3 to 5 days. This went on for 21 years. I finally found a godsend through my sister, who also suffered from migraines. She went to a doctor who suggested Indocid in a suppository form. Not so appealing to some, but it worked oral meds. Since taking these nine years ago, I think I've had three full migraines and now that I've reached menopause I rarely need to take them. Phew!

Comment from: kerri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I've suffered from migraines for more than 20 years. Triggers include aspartame, rainy days and my period. I started taking high blood pressure medication, and now the migraines are gone. I still take amitriptyline every night.