Patient Comments: Migraine - Treatment

What kind of treatment do you get for your migraines? Does it help? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: RETIRED PHARMACIST, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 27

My mother suffered severe migraines most of her life until one day in 1956 I suggested to a doctor to try putting her on Serpasil now available as generic reserpine. From the first dose it stopped her headaches totally. There seems to be no reason why it worked but it did. Recently I saw an article saying that reserpine blocks the release of norepinephrine in the brain and if that is what triggers the headaches reserpine may help. Believe me, it stopped my mother's headache as long as she took a 0.25 mg dose daily for over 30 years. It may never work for anyone else but it did for her.

Comment from: terri jo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was having tremendous migraines, you know, where you wake up vomiting, and the whole nine yards kind of migraines. Well we tried it all, finally on the 3rd MRI we got a good picture of a pinched spinal cord! I got it all taken care of, and no more migraines! I am most thankful for all the doctors and their attentive staff who put up with me. I know I was a nag, but when you are ill, you need help, and the good help is out there. Just find them and kindly ask for their professional help.

Comment from: Kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have been suffering from migraine for over 10 years. I was put on various painkillers and blockers to no avail. The pain reached a point where I was suicidal. One day a friend suggested coconut oil. I started with a tablespoon of coconut oil and one hour later my pain was very much reduced. Feeling motivated I took another tablespoon before I went to bed. I woke up without a migraine the next day. I have been migraine free since. It sounds incredible but it is true! I now take a tablespoon in the morning and another before bed. I hope this message helps someone.

Comment from: katie87, Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I get migraines for more than half the month and since I've been in my 20s they have been getting worse and worse. Right now I am getting Botox injections which aren't helping. The only thing I do is take sumatriptan or Relpax when I get a headache. The only problem is insurance only pays for 4 of each a month so I am having to cut pills in half just to get by and it's still not enough. I do like the Relpax the best though as it has no weird side effects like the sumatriptan.

Comment from: Loes, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 25

After years and years of suffering migraines, almost weekly and taking sumatriptan and Voltaren (not always successful), I have found the cause and consequently the solution to my problem. After a stay in hospital during which I developed a bowel problem, I was prescribed Laxsol and other laxatives to regulate my bowel movement. Result? The migraines have disappeared 95%. What a relief! Maybe a tip for other migraine sufferers.

Comment from: bela18, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

Having had these awful migraine headaches since childhood I have tried a lot of things but the medication that has finally done the most for me is Zomig, which now has a generic form. Just recently I had trigger point injections and so far so good. Immediately after the injections the chronic pain in the muscles of my neck and shoulders was pretty much gone.

Comment from: M, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had migraines from age 18 to 26, they seemed to correlate with my college years and smoking cigarettes. I would get them seasonally spring, fall winter. The only drug that every helped and took them away within a day was Furanol. I don"t even know if they have it anymore but worth a try.

Comment from: older & experienced, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 23

Now that I have reviewed the different migraines, I know that the ache in the back of my head and neck are definitely migraines. I have some which are blind spots and had them during menopause. I learned they are due to a lack of B6I also have rapid heartbeat episodes at times, cured by B6. It is important to know B6 should not be taken without the other B vitamins! It will make a need for the others giving you other problems, memory function needs niacin. B vitamins are best gotten by eating liver. It can be cooked, ground finely and mixed with other foods: cottage cheese, hamburger etc. Hope this helps others and certainly am thankful I read the article describing where migraines attack.

Comment from: Joan, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 13

Imitrex only worked a few times. Zomig is my go-to medication. If I take it when I begin to have symptoms (any noise is too much) then I take a 30-minute rest and the headache is gone.

Comment from: ducf, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I use divalproex sodium extended release (Depakote ER) every morning for prevention and Butalbital/apap/caffeine 50/32 for breakthrough headaches. They both work really well.

Comment from: Lindalou40, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

Starting in 1982 I suffered for years with migraine headaches with auras, the non-relenting nausea, sensitivity to light and flashing lights during my first pregnancy. With medication not an option during those long nine months. After delivery my doctor put me on Effexor XR (extended relief). No more pain or nausea. However, the auras continued which I could deal with better than the awful pain. Then one month the auras stopped. I'm now living with better attitude! Good Luck to all I've been there!

Comment from: Laura C., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have suffered from chronic daily migraines for the last 10 years. At one point, I was on six daily medications to keep them under control. I have gone through Zomig, Imitrex (pills, nasal inhaler, and shots) Axert, Amerge, and have now settled in with Maxalt (quick dissolving). The best thing I have done for treating my migraines is to have Botox injections. Since my first set of injections, I am down to only one daily medication, and my headache frequency is down an estimated 75%, even when eating "trigger" foods. I am due for another round of Botox next week, and I would love to wean off the remaining beta blocker after this set of injections, and be medicine-free, except for the injections.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

After 20 years and what seemed like endless drug combinations, my doctor decided to try Imitrex. At first I was skeptical, at this point I had all but given up. To my surprise, it worked! It takes away all traces of the migraine with none of the side effects that I had experienced with other medications. While it is very pricey, I find that it is well worth it just to be able to have my life back. I would recommend that all migraine sufferers discuss Imitrex with their doctor.

Comment from: ken12cher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have been "dealing" with Migraines for over 30 years. Originally the doctors tried to medicate me with Fiorinal and Valium which left me unable to function properly so I stopped taking them and took BC Powders, Excedrin, Tylenol, and Advil not at the same time but each helped to dull the pain so that I could go on with daily life. Over the past few years my doctors have prescribed Inderal for daily use in hopes of minimizing the pain or frequency. This did not work but did slow down by ability to think, so I weaned myself off of the Inderal. Zomig helps but causes my joints to hurt and my scalp to be sensitive for about 12 hours. Axert works pretty well. I've recently been prescribed Topamax however I had to discontinue due to excessive headaches and nausea that were a side effect. So, I guess I'll stick with Advil, Tylenol and Axert.

Comment from: critical.bill, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I've been getting migraines off and on for about 15 years and as you have probably heard before they were really bad. They would come and go over the course of 2 years. I would get them almost daily 20-15 Advil per day, blew an entire settlement to try and find the cause and 26mg Imitrex per day, that stuff is great, anyway my doctor prescribed me amitriptyline 10mg 1 per night before I go to bed, now remember I was very skeptical because I had done everything for treatment for 10+ years that either didn't work or was too expensive. That's my story I haven't had a migraine for over 4 years. I hope this story can help.

Published: July 31

I used to suffer about 30 excruciating migraines a month. I was placed on Inderal and Topamax. I now suffer about 12 to18 per month. When the actual migraine hits, I usually take two Midrin and lie down in a dark room. If that doesn't work, I take one more Midrin and drink a Mountain Dew and continue to lie down. Usually that works. While in bed, I try to think of something soothing and relaxing that takes my mind away from the pain. About 50% of the time this works. I also take Zofran for nausea.

Published: July 30

I suffered from Cluster headaches excruciating pain everyday. I had 3 small arteries cauterized which took 20 minutes and that has put an end to my migraines which I suffered with for over 10 years. I am no longer on pain killers, or anti-depressants etc. I now have a wonderful quality of life and feel wonderful. Lots of energy and very motivated.

Published: July 24

I have had migraines of differing severity for 15 years. Recently, I was put on Nortriptyline (tricyclic antidepressant) and it is working better than anything previously. I take 20mg every night at bedtime and I take Midrin whenever I get a headache. Also, I lay down if possible with a cold pack across my forehead and eyes.

Published: July 01

I take two extra-strength Excedrins at the onset of a headache/migraine. If that doesn't work, within 15 to 20 minutes I take Axert. If I have no relief after two hours, I take another Axert and then more Excederin. Four hours later, I can usually function again until the next time the weather changes. I find that if I take a really deep breath and hold it, the sharp pain will go away and I'll get relief until I exhale. I'll also pinch the pressure point between the thumb and index finger, this will take the pain go away for a few minutes at a time. Hot/Cold rags on the head help a little bit too.

Comment from: Lisam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am in my early 40 and I have suffered from crippling migraines since my early childhood. I have seen numerous Dr.and neurologist and have had MRI and CT scans and the only thing that is agreed is that I have had severe head trauma and that I do suffer from migraines. I have been on every thing they have put out there for migraines and we are now just on pain management which works for the most part but when the weather gets above 75 degrees it seems the migraines are more intense and more frequent which sends me to the hospital for the cocktail of toradol, phenergan, and pain medication which works like a charm. I haven't found any wonder treatment but I can't wait for the day when they can cure a headache the way they cure other things.

Comment from: liltiny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I've had migraines since early childhood. I take Topamax, but it really doesn't seem to help. If the weather changes, I am in bed for two or three days. Light and sound bother me. I get sick to my stomach and dizzy, and my hands start tingling. I have had an MRI and CT scan, which don't reveal anything.

Comment from: cccrzr, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

Imitrex is the only pill I take for migraines. It takes 1-2 hours to take effect. Also, Esgic is a good one, but be careful not to take it for a long time, as I have found that it causes rebound headaches. Migraines affect my eyes, as well.

Comment from: Cyma Rauf, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I've been experiencing migraine headaches for five years. I tried almost every kind of medication. I also underwent bio feedback and used homeopathic medicines. Miraculously, the only thing that worked for me after years of pain and constant suffering was acupuncture. I recommended it to a friend of mine who also suffers from chronic migraines. It also worked with her, although not as much as it did for me. I go for acupuncture at least once a year, and whenever I get an attack now, it is controlled. I only take over-the-counter Motrin now, and I don't have to rely on the drugs that made me drowsy, moody, and more miserable.

Comment from: Pia , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am a woman from Sweden. I suffer from migraines in relation with my menstruation, normally one day before. Lately, every slight headache turns into a migraine. I buy my best and most economic medicines in Spain: Tonopán and Hemicraneal. The ones I have been given with prescription here in Sweden (Maxalt, Zomig, Imigran) have not been very effective and are extremely expensive. Anyhow, I think I will try acupuncture again. I got the impression that I got migraines less often during one year after a couple of sessions.

Comment from: nimue1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Midrin had been the only medication that worked for migraine relief for many years for me. I now see that it seems to have stopped working, which I don't understand. I absolutely dread the thought of another migraine.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I started getting migraines after a head injury with a history of seizures. I had IV drug therapy last week which lasted a couple days. I have Fiorinal which works when throwing up does not occur. I also take a 600mg ibuprofen with the Fiorinal, since ibuprofen will not work on it's own. I also have eye glasses now which do not help the migraine at all, and take them off. I quit eating many foods, drink a lot of water and try and stay clear of processed foods. I exercise when I am not numb. Try and stay clear of stress and I stopped driving for everyone's safety.

Comment from: Quercus, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

Magnesium is well supported in the scientific literature for prevention and treatment of migraine headaches. It is nature's calcium channel blocker. It works well for me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

When I get a mirgraine, I get a shot of Nubain and within five minutes the pain is gone.

Published: July 16

The best thing for me is a combination of acetaminophen, aspirin, a Mountain Dew and an ice pack on the back of my neck or over my eyes. I have tried the combination meds that have caffeine, acetaminophen and aspirin together in them but they just don't work as well as taking the Tylenol and aspirin separately and drinking the caffeine. I have even tried other caffeinated beverages like coffee and tea and they just don't work as well as Mountain dew, not sure why. Usually the headache goes from crippling to bearable in about 20 minutes.

Published: July 02

Maxalt is the only thing I've found effective, if I take it early enough.

Published: May 30

Taking three 200mg Ibuprofen with a glass of cold Pepsi or Cola and laying down in a quite, dark room.

Comment from: April, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have suffered from migraine headaches since I was a child. I have been taking Imitrex for about 10 years, but since I have 4-7 headaches a week that is a lot of medicine. I recently went for Botox to improve my appearance, and after the 2nd visit I noticed that I had very few migraines, so I did some research I found out that Botox works for 75% of migraines sufferers. After the Botox wore off I was back to having migraines almost everyday. It is a very expensive remedy but it is now a must for me. I only wish that health insurance would pay for it.

Comment from: mrs.migraine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Hi thank you for this article about migraines. Every month I'm suffering from it. Whenever I feel my migraine will start, I am taking analgesic and antipyretics immediately and massage my forehead with this liniment consists of methyl salicylate, menthol, and camphor. However, sometimes the pain will last until morning of the next day, if I had it in the afternoon. I just stay in bed and sleep. Sometimes I ask my husband to make love with me, then the faster it goes away. I cant tell why is this so?

Comment from: hopeless, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have gotten to the point where no treatment is working for my migraines, so I have been suffering tremendously. The migraine I have now, I got on September 2nd, and I cannot get rid of it, no matter what medicine I take.

Published: July 31

I have been getting migraines since I was 17, and the only thing that works for me is Fiorinal. I have tried many other pills, but these seem to work the best.

Published: July 22

I have had migraine headaches since I was 15 and the only medicine that stops it is Ergos. But I have to say that exercise is the best to prevent migranes. Keep out of stress with yoga or daily exercise. Also, eating healthy food and drinking a lot of water--this is the key too.

Comment from: severepain, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have always felt almost immediate relief with the administration of Fioricet (ibuprofen.) I swear by it.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter