Patient Comments: Migraine - Symptoms

What migraine headache symptoms do you experience? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have had aura type migraines since I was a child in primary school. They commence with visual disturbance which developed into a row of iridescent multicolored rods in a zigzag row. Though frightening it is possible for me to drive with them if I have to. These disintegrate into a general aura before slowly disappearing. Occasionally it is accompanied by slight weakness in my right arm. When I was young it would develop into a mild headache. They would only occur then about twice yearly. Now between ages 60 and 70 they are more frequent but shorter and milder. I am fit and healthy and go to gym.

Comment from: Shay6380, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have what my doctor has diagnosed as migraines but frankly I am not so sure. Until 6/6, I rarely if ever had so much as a headache. I have had one every day since. Intensity depends on the amount of activity I do during the day. They almost always occur late afternoon or early evening. Light or sound does not affect me. Wearing glasses does (which prevents me from reading and that is disappointing), and stress does (which increases daily since I can't work). I was prescribed Trokendi (up to 200 mg) which seems to be helping. Pain is less. But I haven't seen anyone describe their migraines like this.

Comment from: Catnandu, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 19

I had a hemilaminectomy and microdiscectomy on 4/14/16 as outpatient surgery. Sounds as though everyone else had a hospital stay. They sent me home after I got up to urinate (1 or 2 hours after surgery).

Comment from: WEIRDmigraines, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have very weird symptoms with my migraines. It starts with a weird feeling in my stomach and then I start sniffling uncontrollably. Usually the right side of my head begins to burn, pain then intensifies, vertigo starts and then the sensitivity to light begins. This is where it gets weird. I start crying/sobbing uncontrollably and involuntarily and I mean sobbing! People who have witnessed it said that I look like the saddest person they've ever seen. I cry for about 5 or so minutes and then instantly, as if someone had flipped a switch, I stop crying and act as if nothing happened. I usually laugh after it happens because it's one of those 'what the?' moments. The pain usually goes away after the 'switch' is flipped. But I am usually very exhausted and dizzy afterwards. Caffeine in coffee (not tea) is a big trigger for me. I avoid it at all cost.

Comment from: Subbersam, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have always had headaches, but when they started lasting for hours and even days despite the use of double doses of OTC pain relievers I knew it was time to see a professional. My first real bad one was the most memorable. I remember turning to a flickering light and flinching because I thought something was flying towards my face, but there was nothing there. When a co-worker saw me flinch he asked me what was wrong. I remember being scared when I turned to look at him and I could literally see the sound waves resonating from his face. I tried to stand up for some reason, I was disoriented and I thought my blood sugar had dropped severely so I made my way to the fridge for a Coke. I was crazy thirsty. The phone rang and about knocked me over as it echoed in my head. I excused myself from work and as I drove to the hospital I became suddenly ill. I pulled over and the vomit was yellow and slimy. When I got there I had to place a coat over my head because the light felt like it went straight through my pupils and directly into my brain like a laser. I don"t know if I fell asleep or passed out but at some point I was woken up by a doctor and two nurses and my head was still pounding. I began shifting back and forth as I sat there listening, like if I sat still it hurt more. I ended up getting a shot and a prescription for some stuff that was supposed to help. There were absolutely no narcotics given to me, but the relief of it all when it was over was practically euphoric. In later incidences I mostly recall a lot of pacing; the ability to stay still is lost in these cases. I also experience nausea, sensitivity to light and sound.

Comment from: elwell1624, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

My 12 year old daughter has been having problems with her stomach since January this year. Today she saw a pediatric consultant after developing sores on her tongue and our general physician sent her to the hospital. They suspect she has an inflammatory bowel disease and we are waiting for an urgent appointment for a pediatric gastric specialist to check if she has Crohn disease. She is scared and confused at the moment as she was an elite gymnast and damaged her back, which ended her career. She now dances and is very good and she wants to make it her career and now this! I am sure it will work out fine but still really worried for her.

Comment from: Jeene john, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

My father has been suffering from hemiplegia since last 8 years. Because of his stubborn behavior we were unable to give medical treatment. Now, present situation of his is too bad. He has not lain on bed for sleep for 2 years now. He had anemia problem and was hospitalized. While doing this assistant doctors took him straight in ICCU and laid him on bed. They did whole body checkup and explained many things. They also informed us about his enlarged prostate. I am worried about its effects on a diabetic and hemiplegic person and chances of his recovery.

Comment from: migrainesufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have always experienced an aura before my migraine. I found out recently that that isn't the norm. Headache without aura or classic migraine is the norm. My auras have consisted of everything including blindness in one and scotomas. I went from having yearly migraines to monthly ones and now take a preventative every day, which has been a god send. I went from having 3 to 4 headaches to maybe one and the pain is greatly diminished. Don't give up hope, fellow sufferers.

Comment from: babynikes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had migraines since I was 3 or 4 years old. Usually mine start with "tunnel vision". I can only see a pin spot clearly. Then the zigzagging/flashing starts. It starts small and grows, reminds me of an arrowhead shape but zigzagged all over. That's when the 'sick to the stomach' feeling starts. I have found that if I can take a pure aspirin at the first sign, it will stop.

Comment from: UberFoxx, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am female, age 20. I have been suffering with migraine with aura since I was 15. Aura symptoms lasts for about 20-40 minutes before pain kicks in and consists of light sensitivity, dizziness, confusion, sound sensitivity, slurring and visual disturbances of red zig-zags darting across my line of sight. When the migraine pain itself kicks in, on top of experiencing excruciating pain all over my head, the slurring worsens as does the sound and light sensitivity, I also experience fatigue and my head feels heavy. My migraines would normally last up to 8 hours and I get them as frequently as at least once every week. At the age of 17 I experienced a severe migraine lasting over 4 months for which I was medicated with propranolol. Now at age 20 I still have them every week at least and lasting up to 8 hours but my symptoms have worsened adding neck stiffness, nausea, and weakness - on the right side of my body (causing difficulty walking and the right side of my face drooping). Triggers include bright light, stress, motion sickness, red wine, too much sleep and too little sleep. As I'm allergic to codeine, I've found that painkillers containing codeine only make the migraine worse. I have found these attacks very debilitating, causing educational, work and social problems.

Comment from: migraine mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have the zigzaggy lines and blind spots, followed by inability to see, remember my own phone number, or put together a coherent sentence. I didn't get a migraine until I was about age 30 (I am now 57 and otherwise in excellent health) and the first time I experienced the aura it freaked me out and I thought maybe I had a detached retina. I made an emergency appointment with my optometrist and he found nothing. The second time I had one I thought maybe I was having a stroke! My daughter has had migraines since age 4, and that's what made me think maybe what I was experiencing was migraine. I took my daughter to doctors and even got an MRI for her before they diagnosed migraine. My daughter took imetrex throughout high school and then started on topomax. She has had 2 or 3 a month. I have them only every 2 or 3 months, and I have learned that if I take a fioricet when the aura first starts it will go away within about 15 minutes and the headache will be just a dull but bearable pain. I can also take a sudafed and an excedrin if I don't have a fioricet. My migraines are manageable and I have learned to just wait out the aura, even if I'm at work. If necessary I just tell people to understand I may seem a bit incoherent for a while.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I get nose pain and then it goes right up to far head and round back all over. I feel sick and my nose runs too. I wonder if this is a form of migraine.

Comment from: doris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

Yes, I have an aura that lasts about 20 minutes before I get a migraine headache.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

I have had migraines since early childhood. I know all my triggers; it has taken 60 years to figure them out. The only trigger I cannot control is rapid increases and decreases in barometric pressure. Chemical odors, chocolate, hard cheese, alcohol all trigger my migraines. I take Maxalt 20mg when desperate for relief.

Comment from: lynners99, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I am 36 years old and have migraines all of my life and have auras with them for as long as I can remember. Various doctors tried various medicines and even a form of physical relaxation therapy, but nothing ever really seemed to help. The best preventative was to ensure that I got enough sleep and avoided the triggers like MSG the best I could. However, as I have gotten older, my auras have changed from just being "floating spots" to tunnel vision or hearing, stronger sense of small or these episodes where I get dizzy and I feel like I am going cross-side and my eyes feel like the roll into one. I have been told that because I do have this aura that it puts me at a higher risk to suffer a stroke.

Comment from: alreadyhealed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I started having migraines with aura since childhood, about 10 years old. I am 49 now, and still have them. I think a fall I had at school started it all. I get the visual aura first. It starts at the center of one eye, then move to the outer edge of that eye. The migraine starts shortly after, and in the opposite side of my head. The auras are the zigzag lighted lines and prisms. They change in size and shape until gone. Sometimes I get the pins and needles in the pinky finger. I also get nauseous and have mild diarrhea at times. Taking pain meds and rest usually helps, but my main help is prayer to God. He keeps me from being so scared and panicked. I am currently looking at natural remedies like the butterbur extract, to help bring relief and hopefully cure. Drinking lots of water and exercise is a great start.

Comment from: Kate26, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had migraines since I was 10. I usually experience blind spots and flashes about 30 minutes before the real pain of the headache sets in - just enough time to get home from work before the dizziness, loss of balance and vomiting sets in. I also experience light and noise sensitivity. From the time I experience an 'aura' to the time I manage to fall asleep is usually about 5 hours.

Comment from: catinvan, 45-54 Female Published: January 06

About once every year or couple of years, I experience that "aura". In my case, it's vibrating zigzag shapes with dazzling colors like turquoise and yellow. It starts very small usually in the center of my vision and then gradually moves outward until it's eventually gone from my vision. As soon as I see one forming, I try to find a quiet, dark place and shut my eyes until it's gone (usually 15 - 20 minutes). I will feel a little nauseous for a few minutes afterwards and my sight can be a bit blurry but I'm fortunate that I don't have much of a headache afterwards. It usually is triggered by stress or a particularly strenuous workout.

Comment from: oklin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

Female, 62 years, first episode with aura at 18, sporadic since, lack of sleep and emotional stress triggers the episode. Aura begins with numb nose and lips, can only see half of objects, the other half just isn't there. Difficulty with speech, recalling a word to say even if reading the word. If I can get to a quiet place and do deep breathing and relaxation techniques, I may not get a headache, but do feel very tired and just out of it for about an hour. My mother had painful migraines, her mother too with night seizures. My two daughters have same type as me.

Comment from: jay, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I've had migraines for the last ten years, starts with holes and blurred vision, lasts for 30 minutes, body cold but hot head. Once vision has returned then a pounding headache will follow approx 1 hour after. I will have no energy and feel sick for up to 3 days depending on the intensity of headache. To reduce the pain of headache i will always take 3 panadol just after my vision returns. It's been a constant battle and so depressing at times but they are slowly getting less painful!

Comment from: oldstuff, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 06

76 year old male. I had my first attack at age 14.Suffered through the aura phase (a large blind spot in both eyes) some aphasia, then a crushing headache always above and behind my right eye. Since age 23 I have only had the aura. Until the last two years it was always a large blind spot; this has now changed and I see a crescent-shape the outer edges which appear to have been cut with pinking shears. It has been more than 20 years since I have had a headache of any kind. At times physical activity, chocolate, cheese and looking at a bright light all seem to have been initiating factors. I guess you can also include testerone in this mix. Have worn corrective lens due to near-sightedness since age 10.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I always have an aura with migraines. Similar to what all here have described. Blind spot, usually on right side, peripheral. I also see dazzling spots. The aura usually lasts 20-30 minutes, then the headache starts, though it isn't usually super painful. I generally will feel crummy all day. I tend to have difficulty with word recall during the aura and less so during the rest of the day. I find that I have several triggers: stress, pre-menstrual, dehydration and running in bright sunlight together are a guaranteed trigger. I don't have them often, but they are such an inconvenience when I do.

Comment from: athena, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

When I experience migraine auras, I get the pins and needles feeling as well as nausea. Often I have a hard time speaking and remembering words.

Comment from: Nate, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Yes, I have an aura every time I get a Migraine. Apparently my mother used to get them too. I remember her describing them as the "shimmies" when I was a kid and none of us could really understand what she meant. The aura would be followed by a dehabilitating headache that would knock her for a loop. When I was in my teens and I began having migraines too, and realized all too quickly exactly what she had been describing--shimmering zigzag lights that start on the sides and grow in size until I can't see anymore. They last about 30 minutes, but when they are gone I get the dehabilitating headache that saps everything from me. However, I have found, over the years, that if I take 3 aspirins immediately when I get the aura, I will bypass the headache.

Comment from: bern, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I had migraine headache since I was 7 years old, usually blind spots followed by headache depending on where the blind spot appears, the headache is always opposite the blind spot. My doctor just had me try the oral medication in my recent event and what happened was worse than ever. I thought the medication is working but I found out later on it just delayed the headache which became so intensified. Another thing that happened is that after the blind spot disappeared it reappeared again after an hour and more intensified. So far I lived with this migraine headache for 50 years and the only remedy I have is pain killers which seldom work.

Comment from: BB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I experience auras with migraines. When I first experienced the aura, I felt anxiety and panic because I didn't know what it was. The aura typically lasts 30 minutes. I get very pale and nauseous. I seem to have a hole in my line of vision, and I see wavy lines. After the aura goes away, I have headache pain for several hours.

Comment from: chelsea, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

My migraines last for weeks. I feel dizzy, grumpy, and nauseous most times. The pain goes from throbbing to pounding and at times to sizzling. Sometimes it's like there is a frying pan in my head. My eyes and forehead hurt a lot. Sometimes it feels like an open sore that has been bruised. It also feels like the inside my head has running water. I have tried Excedrin, Tylenol, Advil, Cataflam, Tonopan and Baralgin. None of them work because my body gets easily immune to them. I also have fainting spells with my migraine and once I went to the hospital and they gave me penicillin to ease the headache.

Comment from: Coco, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I don't really get an aura, but I have noticed that I will get extremely tired before I get a migraine. Extremely tired. What has helped me is knowing that when I take Imitrex, I can also take an over-the-counter relief medication such as Excedrin migraine (includes acetaminophen, aspirin and caffeine). My doctor never told me that I could take the two together, a friend did. Since I have been taking them both together I have had a lot of success and no longer feel like I have to go to the hospital for my migraines. In fact, I usually take just one of each. In the past I would have to take several doses of Imitrex (alone) and it wouldn't work for me. I also find that steam helps as there seems to be a sinus connection for me. So whenever I have a bad one I usually end up steaming.

Comment from: debsgon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

Aura's are present just before and during severe migraines.

Comment from: dyspepticon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I am a 47 year old male and I first recognized the attack about 10 years ago. No aura experienced. Usually the headache is not as debilitating as the vertigo and nausea. Daily exercise probably helps make episodes less frequent, sometimes months in between. Only OTC medications ever tried, with moderate efficacy. Last episode was a week ago, and lasted several days. Was able to work, but just barely. Still feel a little off.

Comment from: territory sufferer, 35-44 Female Published: October 24

I'm 36 years old. I have suffered migraines for as long as I can remember. I get auras (different colors), blurred vision, and I experience light sensitivity. I've tried many different medications. Normally, I end up in the hospital. I hate not being able to function for days.

Comment from: veronica, 35-44 Female Published: September 08

I am suffering for many years migraine with aura. It is too painful. Sometimes, they wake me up w pain in my right eye. Sometimes I am working and that pain is so severe that I can't see clearly sometimes.

Comment from: hunnybunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Approx. two days before the headache I feel disoriented I get extremely dry eyes. Then I have the aura which lasts about 20 minutes. There is a slight dull headache. About 4 to 6 days later I experience a killer headache which lasts about 5 days. This occurs only about 3 times a year. Ice packs help and Relpax is the medicine I take.

Comment from: Jessie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I always experience an aura before I get a migraine, which is followed by the loss of sight, or wavy lines in front of my eyes, also, numbness down one side of my body, including my tongue and lips and of course, the severe headache. I didn't get any migraines when I was pregnant, so the doctors think it might be hormones which cause them, I will be starting hormone treatment when I finish breastfeeding.

Comment from: deanna4178, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I can be standing there doing everyday chores and all of a sudden I get the bright zigzaggy line in the middle of my vision, it seems like I've been staring into a bright white light for to long. I lose the ability to see things directly in front of me. After the "aura" I usually get a sharp pain behind my eyes. I find that laying down flat with a dark cloth over my eyes seems to help with the aura. My last migraine kept me feeling confused for two days.

Comment from: migraine sufferer, 45-54 Male Published: April 07

Just before I get a migraine headache, my eyesight is the first to go. I get tunnel vision where I have blind spots, such as being able to see the outside of a person's face but unable to see their actual face. Then I get squiggly lines and waves in front of my eyes. Then, about 10 or 15 minutes later when my eyesight clears up, that is when the headache kicks in. It only lasts for a couple of hours and is gone.

Comment from: Mario, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

Yes! I'm a 16 year old student; I always get migraines at the worst of times, usually about once every month or so. The aura usually begins 1 hour before the headache. I experience blind spots, and coloured flashes (similar to what you see when you stare at the sun). I have difficulty reading, talking and concentrating. My migraines usually last a few hours, and are extremely painful until i vomit (induced or otherwise). After vomiting, the pain ceases, but my head hurts when sharply moving it for the next couple of days.

Comment from: Light induced, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My migraines are 90% aura and 10% nausea, pain, sensitivity, and prolonged headache with sinus symptoms.

Comment from: massgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have had migraines since age 5. Now I am 43 and over the past 5 years I have had at least one bad one a year that puts me in the ER. I had one yesterday an managed to stay out of the ER as the Flu Season is Horrific here in Massachusetts. I am on Sumatriptan 25 mg (Substitute for Imitrex) but yesterday my Neurologist called in a higher dose to get me a quicker relief 100 mg. Until I took this I wanted to die. I threw up several times. Once I took the Sumatriptan 100 mg after an hour. I felt relief. Sumatriptan works for me. I have to watch what I eat and avoid red wines and anything with MSG in it. But when you're going to get it, you're going to get it.

Comment from: EmmyL, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am a 27 year old female. My migraine aura is actually a weird smell (the best way I can describe it is as metallic), before the headache starts. When I have the headache, I have severe pain, nausea, light and sound sensitivity.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I'm 29 and I do get a "aura" and/or the wavy lines which I describe to look like the Predator when he's got active camo on. The wavy lines always start in the center of vision and move outward. Every once in a while I get totally messed up and can't talk or think and the whole right side of my body goes numb and I have Violent puke-fests. First time was REALLY scary. I think Diesel Fuel and exhaust are part of my trigger most of the time.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

Don't know symptoms are head pain in the back of head and around temple.also fells like something about to pop. Also like I have been just chewing on metal have noticed body movement at times.

Comment from: sscchh, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I feel for all you sufferers out there. The last migraine attack I had was horrible. The aura alone lasted 6 weeks and the headaches were nonstop now for 2 months. I had a CT scan done. I thought I had a stroke. But my neurologist said I will have to learn to live with them. Good luck to all of you.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I wasn't sure what it was, but after someone described their experience, I knew I was having a migraine aura. I can usually tell it's about to happen before I see it. It's not real painful but more a feeling of being light-headed. Once I start taking deep breaths and drink lots of water, the feeling passes much faster.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I very rarely get a visual aura before a migraine, but it has happened occasionally. I often get tingling/soreness in my scalp prior to other symptoms, which my neurologist said was also considered an aura.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I always get an aura, mostly inability to pronounce words and unable to speak for several minutes, plus flashing in one eye followed by headache. Rest in dark room and sleep help but always a frightening experience.

Comment from: Minnie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

The aura is the sign that the big headache is around the corner. When I get an aura it feels like everything is out of focus. Then the headache sets in. My migraines are killing me. I get them four to five times a month.

Comment from: Looker, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

Yes, I do experience an "aura" before the migraine starts. I can't explain the aura with in word but I usually feel dizziness from around the forehead and the nose when bent. And in addition, when pressed for "wee" and air-conditioned space often aggravate my migraine.

Comment from: Elaine, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Yes I do. So when I get the 'aura', I'll shut my eyes to prevent further exposure to light and lay my head down.

Comment from: mly1980, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Most of my migraines don't have an aura but sometimes they do. I've had migraines since I was 8 years old, for over 20 years now, they were so bad when I was young I'd be out of school for 3 days and would be so nauseous and vomit. Now, I don't get the nausea as often, I think I've just gotten used to pain as I've gotten older. I was experiencing 2-3 migraines a week now I am taking a beta-blocker, Inderal, that has cut my migraines way down. I now get then 2-3 a month. When I do get a migraine I take an Excedrin for migraines and it usually takes care of it.

Comment from: Leslie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

Not with every migraine but I do have an aura most of the time. That's when I take my Relpax and within twenty minutes the aura is fading and the headache hasn't really gotten cranked up yet. I think that is a successful diversion because I can usually go on about my day without any major disruption from a migraine.

Published: February 28

Yes, I experienced migraine with aura. After I see this aura, severe headache would follow through, that even if I will take some pain reliever, it won't do any good.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I always have an aura prior to my migraine. It starts with wormy like lights that move and interfere with my visual field and then progresses to blind spots in my visual field making it near impossible to read or right then I start to feel confused and have difficulty having intelligible conversation.

Comment from: KimLover, Published: January 25

Yes, I see bright lights and then I feel a hole in my eyesight. After that, I suffer migraine headache for at least 3- days.

Comment from: sammie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Yes I do! I hate it. I know when exactly I'm going to get one and can do nothing about it. Just thinking about the pain makes me cringe. I get them almost every month. They are horrible.

Comment from: Jack, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

My migraines always start out with flashes on light in the center of my vision, moving outward. This lasts for about 20 minutes, then goes away. It is followed by the headache, which sometimes is bad, other times, my head hurts when I cough and bend over. As I get older, the headaches are less severe, but still a major bother.

Comment from: diway, 7-12 Male Published: February 07

My son has his vision blurred when he suffer from this. Often times aura will go first then his eye blurred and then follows by a severe headache.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter