Patient Comments: Microcephaly - Management

In what ways do you manage your child's microcephaly? What medications does she/he take? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: bonnie, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 02

My daughter is turning 30 soon and has microcephaly, nonverbal, with severe learning disabilities. She does walk after having her heel cords lengthened at the age of 3. She is generally healthy but very hyper at times. She was on medications to control her hyperactivity which made her psychotic, and she ended up in a hospital, we have taken her off all medications and not seeing any doctors now as they all encourage more medications be given. She is doing great now, has put on weight and much happier. I have heard that life expectancy is short but here is my daughter 30 and still going strong.

Comment from: mother, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My son does not take medication for his microcephaly. As was described to me by his doctor, most medication would help slightly, there is no medication that can help with his condition, there is no cure and the medication used is mostly for the ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) side of this condition. With the side effects that my son suffered from with trying different medication was not worth us to keep trying. In most cases medication has been beneficial for others.

View Stages of Pregnancy Slideshow Pictures