The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol abnormalities, and an increased risk for clotting. Patients are most often overweight or obese. Lifestyle modification such as the Mediterranean diet, exercise, and quitting smoking are the preferred treatment of metabolic syndrome. Read more: Metabolic Syndrome Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Causes
Take this quiz and test your IQ of high blood pressure (hypertension), the cardiovascular disease that causes most strokes and...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Metabolic Syndrome Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Metabolic syndrome is serious and you should be concerned. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of metabolic...
Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
What is heart disease (coronary artery disease)? Learn about the causes of heart disease. Symptoms of heart disease include chest...
Lower Your Cholesterol, Save Your Heart
Need to lower your cholesterol levels? Use these smart diet tips to quickly and easily lower your blood cholesterol levels....
Cholesterol Drugs: What to Expect With Heart Medication
When diet and exercise aren't enough, should you turn to drugs? Learn cholesterol basics, drug classes, and available drugs along...
Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication
Learn about type 2 diabetes warning signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read how diet and exercise can help manage...
Pictures of Famous People With Diabetes
See pictures of celebrities that have been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes including Mary Tyler Moore, Salma Hayek, and...
Menopause & Perimenopause: Symptoms, Signs
What is menopause? What are the signs of menopause? What age does menopause start? Learn about menopause and perimenopause...
Heart Disease: Causes of a Heart Attack
Learn about heart disease and heart attack symptoms and signs of a heart attack in men and women. Read about heart disease...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension): Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
What causes high blood pressure (hypertension)? Know the warning signs and symptoms of high blood pressure. Read about high blood...
Heart Health Pictures: How to Lower Triglycerides
Learn 14 ways to lower triglycerides. Learn to keep your heart healthy and triglyceride levels in check with these diet,...
Related Disease Conditions
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Cirrhosis of the liver refers to a disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue caused by alcohol and viral...
Cushing's syndrome, sometimes referred to as hypercortisolism, is a hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure to high levels...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis
Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH or Forestier's disease) is a form of degenerative arthritis. It is characterized...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Fatty Liver (NASH)
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or NASH occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
Preventing Diabetes Naturally (Type 2, Diet, Causes, Symptoms)
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person has early symptoms of diabetes, but have not yet fully developed the condition. If...
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
High Blood Pressure Treatment (Natural Home Remedies, Diet, Medications)
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
High Cholesterol: Frequently Asked Questions
Cholesterol occurs naturally in the body. High blood cholesterol levels increase a person's risk of developing heart disease,...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
Local ResourcesFind a local Internist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- metformin (Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortamet, Riomet)
- rosiglitazone, Avandia
- Actos (pioglitazone)
- ACE Inhibitors (Side Effects, List of Names, Uses, and Dosage)
- Fibrates (Fibric Acid)
- Insulin for Diabetes Treatment (Types, Side Effects, and Preparations)
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
Prevention & Wellness
- 4 Superfoods to Put on Your Menu Today
- Health Tip: Understanding Metabolic Syndrome
- Few Americans Have Optimal 'Metabolic Health'
- Could a Natural Protein Help Fight Obesity?
- What Did Americans Eat Today? A Third Would Say Fast Food
- Sugary Drinks Could Break Your Heart
- The Benefits of Simply Moving More
- Are You at Risk for Metabolic Syndrome?
- Health Tip: Managing Metabolic Syndrome
- Common Virus May Be Linked to Heart Disease, Diabetes in Some Women
- Heart Risks May Boost Women's Colon Cancer Risk, Too
- Secrets of Metabolism
- Low-Carb Diet May Aid Your Metabolism
- Can Protein, Probiotics Help With Blood Sugar Control?
- Skip Dinner and Maybe Boost Your Metabolism
- Are Vegetarian Diets Heart-Healthier?
- 'Spare Tire' May Be Tougher on Your Heart Than 'Love Handles'
- Heart Risk Factors Rise Before Menopause
- FDA to Re-examine What Makes a Food 'Healthy'
- The Health Risks Posed by Mindless Munching
- Daytime Sleepiness, Long Naps Linked to Heart Risks: Study
- Head Injuries May Explain Henry VIII's Erratic Behavior, Study Suggests
- NFL Linemen Keep Growing, Putting Their Health at Risk, Experts Say
- Scientists Identify Sugar-Busting Enzyme in Rats
- Cutting Sugar From Diet Boosts Kids' Health Immediately: Study
- New Drug Lowers Levels of Triglyceride Blood Fats: Study
- Chronic Ills May Add Up to a Shortened Life Span
- Heart Risk Factors May Harm Black Women More Than Whites
- One-Third of Americans Have Dangerous Mix of Heart Risk Factors
- Night Owls Run Higher Risk of Health Problems, Study Finds
- Nuts Linked to Better Heart Health for Teens
- Cluster of Heart Risk Factors Tied to Uterine Cancer Risk
- Dieters May Be Thwarted by Absence of Healthy Foods
- Another Study Links Mediterranean Diet to Better Heart Health
- Preemies' Thinking Skills May Catch Up by Adolescence
- Health Tip: Understand Your Risk of Heart Disease
- Another Win for the Mediterranean-Style Diet
- Women More Open to Weight-Loss Surgery
- Study: Black Women Lose Less Weight Than White Women on Same Diet
- Light Exercise Might Reduce Risk of Kidney Stones
- Weight Loss Can Combat Irregular Heart Beat, Study Says
- More Evidence Ties Obesity to Disability in Older Women
- Gardening, Housework May Help Boost Your Heart Health
- Study Links Americans' Low Fiber Intake to Higher Heart Risk
- Weight-Loss Surgery Seems to Beat Diet and Exercise
- Could Artificial Sweeteners Cause Weight Gain?
- Pain Reliever Lowers Blood Sugar in Type 2 Diabetics, Study Says
- Some Slightly Obese May Gain From Weight-Loss Surgery, Guidelines Say
- Health Tip: Should I Be Screened for Prediabetes?
- Long-Term Use of Some Antipsychotics Not Warranted in Older Adults: Study
- Millions May Be Taking Vitamin D Unnecessarily, Analysis Suggests
- Heart Disease Risk Factors Also Tied to Death From Prostate Cancer
- Sleepless Nights Might Raise Odds for Diabetes
- Fast Walking May Slash at Heart Disease, Diabetes
- 'Junk Food' May Significantly Hike Risk of Stroke, Researchers Say
- Statins Tied to Reduced Glaucoma Risk
- Gout Management Is Focus of New Guidelines
- Can Childhood Obesity Hinder the Brain?
- Obesity Might Lower Teens' Thinking Skills, Study Suggests
- Obesity in Middle Age Tied to More Rapid Mental Decline: Study
- Statin Diabetes Risk Limited to Those at High Risk
- Child Abuse Might Alter Onset of Menstruation in Girls
- Childhood Abuse Linked to Diabetes, Heart Disease in Middle-Aged Women
- Police Work Takes Heavy Health Toll: Study
- Teens' Peer Problems May Affect Health Later
- Sleep Apnea May Spur Carb Cravings in Diabetics
- Will Dark Chocolate a Day Keep the Doctor Away?
- Could Bloodletting Ease Heart Risks for the Obese?
- Women Less Apt Than Men to Get Recommended Daily Exercise
- Insulin Resistance May Lead to Kidney Disease in the Elderly: Study
- Mediterranean Diet May Protect Brain
- Even for the Overweight, Exercise Helps the Heart
- High-Normal Blood Pressure Raises Heart Risks in Men
- Apnea Treatment Might Reduce Signs of Heart Disease Risk
- High Uric Acid Linked to Both Gout and Diabetes
- Sugar-Sweetened Drinks May Pose Heart Risks to Women, Study Suggests
- Experimental Drug Slims Obese Monkeys
- Being Heavier May Mean Fewer Hot Flashes for Women Over 60
- Tool Helps Decide When to Get Weight Loss Surgery
- Excess TV Time Linked to Early Death
- Experts Say Stroke Care Differs for U.S. Minorities
- New Guidelines on Women's Heart Risk
- Metabolic Syndrome Linked to Memory Loss
- Flu Is Widespread in 11 States
- Psoriasis, Heart Disease, and Diabetes: What's the Link?
- Child's Waist Size Indicates Future Health Risks
- Study: BPA Linked to Higher Testosterone Levels
- Weight Loss Pill Also Lowers Blood Pressure
- New Way to Predict Women's Heart Risk
- Weight Management
- Weight Loss
- Holiday Weight Management
- Benefits of Exercise
- Disease Prevention & Awareness
- Workout Routines & Ideas
- Food & Cooking Tips
- Special Diets & Recipes
- Weight Lifting (Resistance Exercise)
- Aerobic Exercise
- Tai Chi
- Alcohol and Nutrition
- Senior Exercise