About 5 million children and adolescents in the U.S. suffer from a serious mental illness such as eating disorders, anxiety disorders, disruptive behavior disorders, pervasive development disorders, elimination disorders, learning disorders, schizophrenia, tic disorders, and mood disorders. Symptoms of mental illness include frequent outbursts of anger, hyperactivity, fear of gaining weight, excessive worrying, frequent temper tantrums, and hearing voices that aren't there. Treatment may involve medication, psychotherapy, and creative therapies. Read more: Mental Illness in Children Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Childhood ADHD Quiz: Test, Symptoms & Medication
Find out causes, symptoms, and treatments for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, a widespread behavioral condition...
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz: Test Your Emotional Wellness IQ
Who is at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Are you? Take this Bipolar Disorder Quiz to learn more about bipolar disorder, if...
ADHD Symptoms in Children
What is ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)? Learn to recognize ADHD symptoms in children....
Bipolar Disorder: Symptoms, Testing for Bipolar Depression
Bipolar disorder (once called manic depression) causes extreme mood shifts and can be disorienting. Our experts define bipolar...
ADHD in Children: Better Parenting
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a common disorder seen in children. Parents can learn tips and techniques to...
Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is schizophrenia? Learn about schizophrenia symptoms, signs, and treatment. Read about schizophrenia types such as paranoid...
Anxiety Disorder Pictures: Symptoms, Panic Attacks, and More with Pictures
Learn about generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). See if your worries are normal or something more by learning about symptoms,...
ADHD: ADHD in Women and Girls
Women and girls have ADHD, but the signs may be more subtle. WebMD tells you how it may present itself in females....
Anxiety, Stress, Worry, and Your Body
Want to find ways to reduce anxiety, stress, and worry? Find treatments to ease stress, eliminate worry, and combat anxiety as...
Related Disease Conditions
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to...
Get the facts on Down syndrome, a genetic disorder caused by an additional set of chromosomes in a developing fetus. Down...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Bedwetting, or nocturnal enuresis, is the accidental passage of urine while asleep. There are two types of bedwetting: primary...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Genetic Disease (List, Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis)
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Nightmares are dreams that cause high anxiety or terror. Nightmares may be a part of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and...
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Borderline personality disorder is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal...
Sleepwalking (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Factitious disorders are conditions in which people pretend to have physical or mental illnesses when they aren't sick. These...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Dysthymia is a less severe form of chronic depression. Symptoms and signs include insomnia, suicidal thoughts, guilt, empty...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Fragile X Syndrome
Fragile X syndrome is the most common inherited form of mental retardation. It's caused by a mutation on the X chromosome. People...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
Teen Drug Abuse
Drugs commonly abused by teens include tobacco products, marijuana, cold medications, inhalants, depressants, stimulants,...
Munchausen syndrome is a factitious disorder and attention-seeking syndrome in which an individual pretends to have physical or...
Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens
Bipolar disorder, or manic-depressive illness, is a disorder that causes unusual and extreme mood changes. Symptoms of bipolar...
Schizotypal Personality Disorder
Schizotypal personality disorder is characterized by odd behaviors, feelings, perceptions, and ways of relating to others that...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- clozapine (Clozaril, Fazacio ODT, Versacloz)
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- fluphenazine (Permitil, Prolixin)
- Medicines that Cause Depression
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Sustenna)
- brexpiprazole (Rexulti)
- Vayarin (phosphatidylserine-omega-3 Liprinen)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
Prevention & Wellness
- Growing Up Poor May Permanently Damage Thinking Skills
- Many Foster Kids Inappropriately Prescribed Psych Drugs
- Homelessness Takes Toll on Kids' Health Even Before They're Born
- U.S. Political Climate Frightening for Teens: Study
- Homeless Babies Face Lasting Health Risks
- Drinking While Breast-Feeding May Dampen Child's Brain Development
- Parent's Tough Childhood Can Cast Shadow Across Generations
- Health Tip: Recognize Warning Signs of Youth Violence
- Does Mental Illness Raise Diabetes Risk?
- Young Marijuana Users Face Psychosis Risk
- Childhood Cancer Impacts Mental Health
- Tragedy of Child Sexual Abuse Takes Financial Toll, Too
- Big Rise Seen in U.S. Kids, Teens Attempting Suicide
- Kids' Exposure to Domestic Violence Takes Economic Toll
- Most U.S. Adults Support More Mental Health Services for Kids
- Guns Still Found in Homes With Unstable Kids
- Looking at Laughter for Clues to Anti-Social Behavior
- Guns Send About 16 U.S. Kids to the Hospital Every Day
- Is Your Child Using Drugs?
- Kids Face Their Own Death Risks When a Sibling Dies
- 2 Out of 3 Depressed Teens Gain Lasting Benefits From Therapy
- Kids With Bipolar Disorder More Likely to Abuse Drugs, Alcohol: Study
- Depression Can Stalk Families Through Generations
- Could Childhood Nightmares Foreshadow Mental Ills as Teen?
- Stigma of Mental Illness Remains Barrier to Treatment
- Mental Illness Can Shorten Lives, Studies Show
- Is the Mental Health System Failing Troubled Kids?
- Older Antipsychotics May Work as Well as Newer Ones: Review
- Study: Self-Injury Common in Grade School
- More Mental Health Care Urged for Kids Who Self-Harm