About 5 million children and adolescents in the U.S. suffer from a serious mental illness such as eating disorders, anxiety disorders, disruptive behavior disorders, pervasive development disorders, elimination disorders, learning disorders, schizophrenia, tic disorders, and mood disorders. Symptoms of mental illness include frequent outbursts of anger, hyperactivity, fear of gaining weight, excessive worrying, frequent temper tantrums, and hearing voices that aren't there. Treatment may involve medication, psychotherapy, and creative therapies. Read more: Mental Illness in Children Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Genetic Disease (List, Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis)
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Get the facts on Down syndrome, a genetic disorder caused by an additional set of chromosomes in a developing fetus. Down...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
Teen Drug Abuse
Drugs commonly abused by teens include tobacco products, marijuana, cold medications, inhalants, depressants, stimulants,...
Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Fragile X Syndrome
Fragile X syndrome is the most common inherited form of mental retardation. It's caused by a mutation on the X chromosome. People...
Munchausen syndrome is a factitious disorder and attention-seeking syndrome in which an individual pretends to have physical or...
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Borderline personality disorder is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal...
Schizotypal Personality Disorder
Schizotypal personality disorder is characterized by odd behaviors, feelings, perceptions, and ways of relating to others that...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Dysthymia is a less severe form of chronic depression. Symptoms and signs include insomnia, suicidal thoughts, guilt, empty...
Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens
Bipolar disorder, or manic-depressive illness, is a disorder that causes unusual and extreme mood changes. Symptoms of bipolar...
Factitious disorders are conditions in which people pretend to have physical or mental illnesses when they aren't sick. These...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- Medicines that Cause Depression
- clozapine (Clozaril, Fazacio ODT, Versacloz)
- brexpiprazole (Rexulti)
- fluphenazine (Permitil, Prolixin)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Sustenna)
- Vayarin (phosphatidylserine-omega-3 Liprinen)
Prevention & Wellness
- Big Rise Seen in U.S. Kids, Teens Attempting Suicide
- Kids' Exposure to Domestic Violence Takes Economic Toll
- Most U.S. Adults Support More Mental Health Services for Kids
- Guns Still Found in Homes With Unstable Kids
- Looking at Laughter for Clues to Anti-Social Behavior
- Guns Send About 16 U.S. Kids to the Hospital Every Day
- Is Your Child Using Drugs?
- Kids Face Their Own Death Risks When a Sibling Dies
- 2 Out of 3 Depressed Teens Gain Lasting Benefits From Therapy
- Kids With Bipolar Disorder More Likely to Abuse Drugs, Alcohol: Study
- Depression Can Stalk Families Through Generations
- Could Childhood Nightmares Foreshadow Mental Ills as Teen?
- Stigma of Mental Illness Remains Barrier to Treatment
- Mental Illness Can Shorten Lives, Studies Show
- Is the Mental Health System Failing Troubled Kids?
- Older Antipsychotics May Work as Well as Newer Ones: Review
- Study: Self-Injury Common in Grade School
- More Mental Health Care Urged for Kids Who Self-Harm