Mental illness is any disease or condition affecting the brain that influence the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, and/or relates to others. Mental illness is caused by heredity, biology, psychological trauma and environmental stressors. Read more: Mental Illness Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is schizophrenia? Learn about schizophrenia symptoms, signs, and treatment. Read about schizophrenia types such as paranoid...
Bipolar Disorder: Symptoms, Testing for Bipolar Depression
Bipolar disorder (once called manic depression) causes extreme mood shifts and can be disorienting. Our experts define bipolar...
Related Disease Conditions
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Dissociative Identity Disorder
Dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder or split personality disorder) is a mental...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) has many symptoms, signs, and causes. Therapy is one treatment option for antisocial...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to...
Paraphilias are characterized by sexual fantasies, urges, and behaviors involving unusual objects or activities. Exhibitionism,...
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Borderline personality disorder is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal...
Schizoaffective disorder is a mental illness that features schizophrenia and a mood disorder, either major depression or bipolar...
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Schizotypal Personality Disorder
Schizotypal personality disorder is characterized by odd behaviors, feelings, perceptions, and ways of relating to others that...
Munchausen syndrome is a factitious disorder and attention-seeking syndrome in which an individual pretends to have physical or...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy (MSBP)
Munchausen syndrome by proxy (MSBP) is a mental illness (factitious disorder) in which a caregiver secretly abuses a child by...
Depression in teenagers may be caused by many factors. Symptoms of teen depression include apathy, irresponsible behavior,...
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder that causes a person to suffer repeated obsessions and compulsions....
Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by markedly reduced appetite or total aversion to food. Anorexia is a serious...
Fragile X Syndrome
Fragile X syndrome is the most common inherited form of mental retardation. It's caused by a mutation on the X chromosome. People...
Dysthymia is a less severe form of chronic depression. Symptoms and signs include insomnia, suicidal thoughts, guilt, empty...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Sleep paralysis is a condition that causes a person to feel as if he or she is awake but is unable to move. Lack of sleep, sleep...
People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs...
Duck syndrome is a situation initially coined at Stanford University whereby a college student may seem to be calm on the surface...
Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is an illness where a person is overly preoccupied with some minor or imaginary flaw. People with...
Factitious disorders are conditions in which people pretend to have physical or mental illnesses when they aren't sick. These...
Depression in the Elderly
Depression in the elderly is very common. That doesn't mean, though, it's normal. Treatment may involve antidepressants,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Benzodiazepines (Benzodiazepine Drug Class)
- haloperidol (Haldol)
- aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristrada)
- Lexapro vs. Wellbutrin: Differences between Side Effects and Uses
- Medicines that Cause Depression
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- clozapine (Clozaril, Fazacio ODT, Versacloz)
- brexpiprazole (Rexulti)
- fluphenazine (Permitil, Prolixin)
- paliperidone palmitate (Invega Sustenna)
- Vayarin (phosphatidylserine-omega-3 Liprinen)
- iloperidone (Fanapt)
Prevention & Wellness
- Childhood Spanking Could Heighten Adult Mental Health Woes
- Genes May Explain Why Some Don't Respond to Bipolar Drug
- Looking at Laughter for Clues to Anti-Social Behavior
- Health Tip: Do You Need Psychological Therapy?
- Chronic Illness Can Plunge Young Adults Into Despair
- Suicide a Danger for Some Women During Pregnancy: Study
- Google Search for 'Depression' Now Brings Testing
- Can Video Game Playing Cost You Gray Matter?
- Nearly 1 in 5 U.S. Adults Has Mental Illness or Drug Problem
- Do Moms Who Smoke in Pregnancy Raise Their Odds for a Troubled Teen?
- Half of Opioid Prescriptions Go to People With Mental Illness
- Guns Kill or Wound 7,000 U.S. Kids a Year: Report
- Nearly 10 Million U.S. Adults Suffer From Mental Illness
- 'Recovery-Oriented' Talk Therapy May Help Curb Schizophrenia
- Suicide Risk Is High for Psychiatric Patients Long After Discharge From Care
- U.S. Moms-to-Be Often Victims of Assault
- Pot a Factor in More ER Admissions for Colorado Teens After Legalization
- Meditation Can Help Improve Focus in People With Anxiety
- Teen Suicide Thoughts, Self-Harm Cases Double in a Decade
- Genes May Govern Your Risk for PTSD
- Cleaning, Greening Vacant Lots May Help Fight Crime
- Nursing Home Program Offers Alternatives to Antipsychotic Drugs
- Las Vegas Could Be First U.S. City to Install Needle Vending Machines
- Prince Harry's Journey Shows Grief Can Be a Long Road
- Anxious? Distressed? You're Not Alone
- Just 1 in 5 Mentally Ill Women Gets Cervical Cancer Screenings
- 1st Drug for Tardive Dyskinesia Approved
- Self-Harm Can Be a Harbinger of Suicide
- More Than 300 Million People Worldwide Have Depression: WHO
- Can Social Media Sites Leave You Socially Isolated?
- Study Links Psychiatric Disorders to Stroke Risk
- No, Your Cat Isn't a Threat to Your Mental Health
- America in 2017: Pass the Prozac, Please
- Eating Disorders Rampant on the Runway
- Obamacare Covered More People With Mental Illness, Addictions
- Many With Mental Illness Miss Out on HIV Tests
- Plastic Surgeons Often Miss Patients' Mental Disorders
- Most Smokers With Mental Illness Want to Kick the Habit
- Obama Signs Sweeping Health Care Bill Into Law
- For People With Mental Health Woes, Pets Can Be Invaluable
- Demi Lovato Wants to Change the Face of Mental Illness
- U.S. Surgeon General Declares War on Addiction
- Health Tip: Thinking About Psychological Therapy?
- More Than Half of Americans Have Chronic Health Problem: Study
- Psychiatric Drugs May Reduce Ex-Prisoners' Violent Crime Rate
- Can Teens' Heart Rate, Blood Pressure Show Ties to Mental Ills?
- Bullied Teen's Suicide Didn't Spur Copycat Attempts: Study
- Troubled Childhood May Boost Bipolar Risk: Study
- Pediatricians: Kids Need 'Media Use Plan' From Parents
- U.S. Psychiatric Patients Face Long Waits in ERs
- Mixed News on Drug Abuse Among Lesbian, Gay Americans
- Are Some Blood Pressure Meds Linked to Depression, Bipolar Risk?
- Why Parenting May Be More Stressful for Mom
- Prenatal Factors May Raise Child's Risk for OCD
- Study IDs Effective Rx for Burned-Out Doctors
- For Problem Drinkers, Experimental Drug Shows Promise
- Hard Times May Exact a Toll on Brain Health
- 'Entitled' People May Be Pursuing an Unhappy Path
- Study Links Pot Use to Relapse in Psychosis Patients
- Doctors Often Neglect Their Own Mental Health
- Homeless, Mentally Ill Youth Benefit From Housing Program
- Siblings of Schizophrenia Patients at Greater Risk for Same Diagnosis: Study
- Antidepressant Might Prevent Depression Following Brain Injury
- Something to 'Like' About Facebook
- Parents' Psychiatric Issues May Adversely Affect Some Children
- Twitter Broadening Discussions About Death, Grief: Study
- Depression Can Stalk Families Through Generations
- Mental Illness May Make Teens Vulnerable to Drugs, Alcohol
- Scientists Spot 15 Regions of Human DNA Linked to Depression
- Study of Teen Brains Offers Clues to Timing of Mental Illness
- Can Comedy Kill?
- Can Trauma Trigger Violent Crime in Mentally Ill?
- Tighter Opioid Laws in U.S. Haven't Eased Misuse
- The Childhood Incidents That Increase Later Suicide Risk
- Are 'Workaholics' Prone to OCD, Anxiety?
- Mentally Ill Still Gain Illegal Possession of Guns, Study Shows
- Can Frequent Moves in Childhood Spell Trouble Later?
- Lithium Beats Newer Meds for Bipolar Disorder, Study Finds
- Genes May Link Risks for Pot Use, Depression
- Antipsychotics Don't Ease Delirium in Hospitalized Patients
- Could Germ From Cat Poop Trigger Rage Disorder in People?
- PTSD May Stiffen Veterans' Arteries, Boosting Heart Risks
- Pregnancy May Ease PTSD for Some Women, Study Finds
- Many Suicidal People Make Long-Term Recovery, Study Shows
- Scientists Uncover Clues to Origins of Schizophrenia
- Kindergartners With Traumatic Life Experiences Struggle More in School
- Repeated Blasts Linked to Brain Changes in Combat Vets
- Mouse Study May Offer Clues to Mysteries of Schizophrenia
- Brain Wiring Changes Might Help Guard Against Bipolar Disorder
- ADHD Meds May Raise Risk for Psychotic Side Effects in Some Kids: Study
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids May Play Role in Bipolar Disorder: Study
- Brain Differences May Explain Why Some With Schizophrenia Hallucinate
- Too Few Psychiatric Patients Screened for Diabetes: Study
- Health Tip: Are You at Risk for Hypothermia?
- Online Psychotherapy May Help Some With Emotional Problems
- People With Schizophrenia Face Much Higher Risk of Early Death
- Research Gives Clues to Why Some Benefit More From Drug for Bipolar Disorder
- FDA Clears Long-Lasting Drug for Schizophrenia
- ERs Often 'Safety Net' Care for People With Schizophrenia: CDC
- Vraylar Approved for Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
- Could Psychedelic Drugs Be Good Medicine for Some?
- Mentally Ill Inmates Prone to Violence After Release: Study
- Mixed Findings on Pot's Effect on the Developing Brain
- Can What You Eat Affect Your Mental Health?
- Scientists May Have Found 'Marker' for Schizophrenia
- Could Too Many Refined Carbs Make You Depressed?
- Social Life May Be Key to Suicide Prevention for Women
- Psychiatric Woes Often Drive Euthanasia Requests in Belgium
- Mental Illness Afflicts Many Juveniles in Jail
- Rexulti Approved for Schizophrenia, Depression
- Psychosis Rarely Linked to Violent Crime, Study Says
- Many U.S. Men With Depression, Anxiety Don't Get Treated, CDC Finds
- 'Gut Feelings': More Than Heartburn, Indigestion?
- Chantix Study Finds Little Evidence to Support Suicidal, Criminal Warnings
- Women, Poor, Uninsured Face Higher Risk of Psychological Distress: CDC
- Hallucinations, Delusions Uncommon in General Population: Study
- Demi Lovato Gets Vocal About Mental Illness
- The Plight of America's 'Elder Orphans'
- Immune System Genes May Change With the Seasons: Study
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder May Be Linked to Accelerated Aging
- First Generic Abilify Approved
- Health Visits May Offer Chance to Prevent Suicide
- 1 in 10 Americans Has Anger Issues and Access to Guns: Survey
- Education Doesn't Guarantee Happiness
- Some Emotions May Spur Urge to Pick or Pull at Skin, Hair, Nails
- Study Highlights Complexity of 'Hearing Voices'
- Mental Illness, Homelessness Linked to Heart Disease in Study
- Asian-Americans Tackle Mental Health Stigma
- 'Killing Fields' Survivors Struggle With PTSD
- Mental Health Disorders May Shorten Life Span: Study
- Stigma Keeps Employees From Admitting to a Mental Illness: Study
- Non-Drug Options Can Help Curb Delirium in Hospital Patients, Study Finds
- Abnormalities Found in Brains of Young Bipolar Patients Who Try Suicide
- Breast Cancer Screening Less Likely Among Mentally Ill: Study
- 1 in 5 U.S. Adults Dealt With a Mental Illness in 2013
- Soldiers Hospitalized for Mental Illness Face Raised Suicide Risk, Study Shows
- Health Tip: Anxiety Can Affect Your Health
- Just Try Getting an Appointment With a Psychiatrist
- Young Caregivers Risk Failing in School, Study Says
- Schools Key to Reaching Kids With Mental Health Needs, Experts Say
- Addiction Treatment Key to Curbing Violence in Mentally Ill: Study
- Drug Addiction Seen as 'Moral Failing,' Survey Finds
- Behavioral Counseling Urged for Teens, Young Adults at Risk for STDs
- Teens' Daily Marijuana Use Linked to Poor Outcomes
- 10 Percent of Americans Admit to Illicit Drug Use
- Serious Childhood Burns Tied to Long-Term Mental Health Risks
- 'Sleep Drunkenness' Is Common and Linked to Other Behavior Issues
- Even Normal-Weight Teens Can Have Dangerous Eating Disorders, Study Finds
- Many With Schizophrenia Say They're Happy: Study
- When Depression Becomes Deadly
- Children With Jailed Family Members More Likely to Have Poor Health Later
- Could a Blood Test Predict Suicide Risk?
- Study Sheds Light on Marijuana and Paranoia
- Sudden Death of Loved One Can Trigger Mental Health Issues
- Premature Death, Suicides Up Among People With Schizophrenia, Study Says
- Schizophrenia May Raise Dementia Risk in Older Adults
- Mental Illness Linked to Shortened Life Spans
- Jury Still Out on Whether Doctors Should Screen for Suicide Risk
- App for Bipolar Disorder Being Tested
- Antipsychotics Help Cut Crime Rate: Study
- Traumatic Brain Injury Common Among Homeless Men
- Mental Illness Not a Driving Force Behind Crime: Study
- Few Good Resources on Self-Harm Exist Online, Study Finds
- Post-Katrina Heart Woes Persisted at Least 6 Years
- Mental Illness to Blame for 10 Percent of Kids' Hospitalizations: Study
- Psychiatric Ills Widespread Among U.S. Soldiers: Studies
- Could Childhood Nightmares Foreshadow Mental Ills as Teen?
- Too Often, Doctors Miss Suicide's Warning Signs: Study
- Mentally Ill More Often Victims Of Violence Than Perpetrators: Study
- Stigma of Mental Illness Remains Barrier to Treatment
- Teen Pregnancy Rates Much Higher for Girls With Serious Mental Illness: Study
- Many Bipolar Patients Take Multiple Psychiatric Meds
- Schizophrenia Linked to Pregnancy Complications, Study Suggests
- Psychotherapy May Be Effective Alternate Treatment for Schizophrenia, Study Finds
- Easy Access to Guns Tied to Higher Risk of Suicide, Homicide
- More Prisons Helping Inmates Enroll in Medicaid at Release: Survey
- Chantix Helped People With Mental Illness Quit Smoking Longer in Study
- Ski Your Way to Happiness?
- Psychiatrists Less Likely to Accept Health Insurance, Study Finds
- Teens' Mental Disorders Often Untreated in U.S., Study Finds
- What Happens When a Child With Autism Refuses Most Foods?
- White House Boosts Insurance Coverage for Mental Illness
- Bipolar Disorder Drug May Need Adjusting in Pregnancy, Study Finds
- J&J to Pay $2 Billion for Improperly Marketing Antipsychotic Drug
- Obamacare Should Help Those With Mental Health Issues, Advocates Say
- Smoking in Pregnancy May Be Tied to Bipolar Disorder in Adult Offspring: Study
- Preemies' Woes Sometimes Due to Heredity, Study Says
- Brain Scans Show Why Psychopaths Don't Feel Your Pain
- Mental State Influences Readmission After Heart Failure Treatment, Study Says
- Imaging Provides New Insights Into Schizophrenia
- Antipsychotic Drugs May Triple Kids' Diabetes Risk, Study Suggests
- Study Casts Doubt on Effectiveness of Delerium Drug
- Quit-Smoking Programs Work for Psychiatric Patients
- U.S. Troops' Suicide Risk Tied to Mental Illness, Not Combat: Study
- Bipolar Disorder May Vary Depending on Weight, Eating Disorders
- Epilepsy Plus Mental Ills Linked to Premature Death, Study Says
- Mental Illness Can Shorten Lives, Studies Show
- Obama Calls for National Debate on Mental Health
- Migraine, Chronic Back Pain Tied to Higher Suicide Risk
- Latest Edition of Psychiatry's 'Bible' Launched Amid Controversy
- Many Suicidal Kids Have Access to Guns at Home: Study
- Faith May Complement Treatment for Mental Illness
- Hospitalization OK for Psych Patients Can Take Hours
- No Benefit From Screening All Patients for Suicide Risk: Report
- Google Search Trends Suggest Mental Woes Vary by Seasons
- Scans May Reveal Pre-Schizophrenia Brain Changes
- Mental Illness a Frequent Cell Mate for Those Behind Bars
- News Coverage of Shootings May Boost Stigma of Mental Illness
- Mental Illness May Not Impede Healthy Weight Loss, Study Says
- People With Mental Illness Make Up Large Share of U.S. Smokers
- Mental Illness May Raise Risk of Being Murdered
- Motherhood May Spur Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior in Some
- 1 in 5 Americans Knows a Victim of Gun Violence: Poll
- Shared Genes May Link ADHD, Autism and Depression
- Smoking Rates Much Higher Among the Mentally Ill: CDC
- Poll Finds Broad Support for Tougher Gun Laws
- Women's Smoking Deaths at All-Time High in U.S.
- Mental Disorders Linked With Domestic Violence, Study Says
- Is the Mental Health System Failing Troubled Kids?
- For Psychiatric Patients, Cancer Is Often Spotted Too Late
- Less Mental Decline Seen in Older Blacks Who Went Hungry as Kids
- 2-Year Period After Parent's Suicide Try Most Risky for Children: Study
- The Secret to a Longer Life? Children
- Big Changes in Psychiatry's 'Bible' of Disorders
- Mood-Altering Medications Not Overused in Teens
- Mental Illness Affects 1 in 5 U.S. Adults, Survey Finds
- What Do Eye Movement Differences in Men and Women Mean?
- Long-Term Use of Some Antipsychotics Not Warranted in Older Adults: Study
- Hanging Suicides Up in United States
- Schizophrenia Patients Who Take Antipsychotics Live Longer, Study Says
- Suicides Up in Sagging U.S. Economy
- Cyberbullying Rarely Single Factor in Teen Suicides: Study
- More Evidence Linking Creativity, Mental Illness
- Alzheimer's: Are Antipsychotic Drugs Worth It?
- Gene Tied to Obesity, Depression, ADHD
- More Than Half of Severe Mental Disability Cases Not Inherited: Study
- Teens Over 1/3 of New Prescription Drug Abusers
- Self-Harm Associated With Premature Death in Study
- Psych, Sleep Meds May Affect Driving
- Older Antipsychotics May Work as Well as Newer Ones: Review
- Dental Woes Abound for Developmentally Disabled: Study
- CDC: Military Veterans Report Poorer Health
- More Drug Trials Needed for Conditions Affecting Kids: Review
- Genes Influence Whether Psych Drugs Lead to Weight Gain
- Serious Mental Illness Tied to Higher Cancer, Injury Risk: Studies
- Violent Shootings: Are There Warning Signs?
- Schizophrenia in Movies: Don't Believe Everything You See
- Aging Boomers' Mental Health Woes Will Swamp Health System: Report
- Cat Litter Parasite May Raise Suicide Risk
- 1 in 10 Fibromyalgia Patients Uses Marijuana to Ease Pain
- Mental Health Woes Raise Odds for Prescription Painkiller Abuse
- Study: Self-Injury Common in Grade School
- More Mental Health Care Urged for Kids Who Self-Harm
- New Clues to Schizophrenia
- Psychiatric Patients Often Wait Nearly 12 Hours in ER
- 50 Years of Data Confirm Benefit of Antipsychotics
- Gene Hunters Link Genes to Brain Size
- Researchers ID Genes That May Determine Mental Illness
- Mental Illness Tied to Higher Rates of Physical Problems: Report
- Prenatal Antipsychotic Drugs Linked to Motor Delays: Study
- Fewer U.S. Med Students Choose Psychiatry: Report
- Antipsychotic Drugs Might Raise Heart Attack Risk: Study
- U.S. Army Suicides Rising Sharply, Study Finds
- Disabled Adults More Apt to Be Victims of Violence: Study
- Is Grief an Illness? The Debate Heats Up
- Brain Development Harmed in Mistreated Kids
- Does Abortion in First Trimester Raise Risk of Mental Ills' Return?
- Report: 1 in 5 Adults Had Mental Illness in 2010
- Widowers Who Stay Single Might Face More Mental Health Woes
- Psych Episode Near Childbirth May Presage Bipolar Disorder
- Health Highlights: Sept. 8, 2011
- Risk for Mental Illness Varies by Gender
- Mothers Play Important Role in Recovery From Mental Illness
- Study: Mental Health Is Top Concern for Youth
- Study: Many With ADHD Can't Control Emotions
- Bipolar Disorder Often Untreated
- Charlie Sheen Substance Abuse: FAQ
- Many Adults Report Troubled Childhood Experiences
- Depression on the Rise in Colleges?
- Depression: The Link Between Depression and Other Mental Illnesses
- Depression: Major Depression
- Psychotic Depression
- Depression Risk Assessment Tool
- Exercise and Depression
- Diagnosing Depression
- Depression: Alternative Therapies for Depression
- Bipolar Disorder
- Schizophrenia Gene Variant Linked to Risk Traits
- Sleep and Psychiatric Disorders
- Sleep and Depression
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter