Patient Comments: Menstruation - Pads and Tampons

How often do you change your pad or tampon? Why do you prefer one over the other? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: stop the chaos!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

'Use the lightest tampon you can' and 'change your tampon every 4 to 8 hours;' what a joke! No way is that realistic! After having kids, my periods were heavy enough that I needed super plus tampons and could never go for longer than four hours before changing them. Then perimenopause began and it got heavier requiring using two tampons together. Then getting closer to menopause the whole thing got crazy! I have a wacky schedule and never know if spotting is beginning of period or not; and look out if it is. Now it is 2 super plus tampons together with a full size pad because you never know when you get a leak. My heaviest period I needed 2 super plus tampons together and a full size pad and every 2 hours I barely made it to the bathroom and the pad was soaked through. And when I got off the toilet I could not see through the water for the blood. I went to the doctor and he referred me to a gynecologist, and that takes months to get in. Many women I know have similar experiences so is it any wonder I find the posted information on 'what size tampon to use' and 'how often to change them' to be disappointing and inadequate! Perhaps we need articles or charts designed with 'older women' in mind! There are plenty of us! We need accurate information for 'our new experiences' too!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter