Patient Comments: Menstruation - Age at First Period

How old were you when you started your period? Briefly, describe what that first experience was like. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Arya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was a late bloomer! I started my period late in eighth grade, age 13. I remember that I was actually really excited to finally get my first period! I had been very underweight at the time and so I hadn't gone through my first period even though I was well on my way through puberty. I was at an age where most of my friends and the girls in my school had already experienced theirs and my mom had already given me several general "talks," so I honestly felt a little left out and weird. When I saw the little spots of blood in my underwear at school, my first instinct was to panic, but then I quickly got really excited when I realized what it was and proudly asked my friend outside my stall if she had a pad I could have. When I got home I remember telling my mom and her taking me out to dinner.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter