Menstruation (menstrual cycle) is also referred to as a "period." When a woman menstruates, the lining of the uterus is shed. This shedding of the uterine linking is the menstrual blood flow. The average menstrual cycle is 28 days. There can be problems with a woman's period, including heavy bleeding, pain, or skipped periods. Causes of these problems may be amenorrhea (lack of a period), menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea), or abnormal vaginal or uterine bleeding. There are a variety of situations in which a girl or woman should see a doctor about her menstrual cycle.Read more: Menstruation (Menstrual Cycle) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Puberty In Girls Quiz: Stages of Puberty
Take the Puberty In Girls Quiz to learn the myths and facts about normal adolescent growth and development for teens and tweens....
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Early Signs & Symptoms of Pregnancy
Read about early signs and symptoms of pregnancy such as nausea and vomiting (morning sickness), bloating, tender breasts, and...
Menopause & Perimenopause: Symptoms, Signs
What is menopause? What are the signs of menopause? What age does menopause start? Learn about menopause and perimenopause...
Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain?
There are many causes of pelvic pain in women including cysts, PMS, appendicitis, and bladder infections. Pelvic pain has...
Infertility: Types, Treatments, and Costs
Learn about infertility symptoms and types of treatment such as IVF, acupuncture, and natural methods to get pregnant. Read about...
Teen Drama: Handling Mean Girls, Cyber Bullying, and Sexting
Being a teenage girl comes with a variety of challenges. Here are tips on dealing with dating, sexting, cyber bullying, mean...
Anemia Symptoms and Signs, Types, Treatment and Causes
Anemia is a disease marked by low numbers of red blood cells. Low iron or underlying disease, like cancer, may be to blame....
13 Ways to Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Find medical relief for menstrual cramps and menstrual pain symptoms. Learn how women's daily habits can relieve the discomfort...
Women’s Health: 13 Hormone Imbalance Symptoms and Signs
Hormone imbalance involves changes in estrogen, progesterone, and other hormone levels. Hormonal imbalance may cause symptoms...
Related Disease Conditions
Endometriosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Prognosis)
Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines,...
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on...
Mitral Valve Prolapse (Syndrome, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Surgery)
Mitral valve prolapse (MVP), also called "click murmur syndrome" and "Barlow's syndrome," is the most common type of heart valve...
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Menstrual cramps (pain in the belly and pelvic area) are experienced by women as a result of menses. Menstrual cramps are not the...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Fibrocystic Breast Condition (Changes)
Fibrocystic breast condition (sometimes called fibrocystic breast disease) is characterized by lumpiness and usually pain,...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Breast Lumps (In Women)
Breast lumps in women can have a variety of causes such as breast inflammation, infection, injuries, cancer, and non-cancerous...
Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)
Uterine fibroids are benign (non-cancerous) tumors in the womb (uterus). Most uterine fibroids do not cause symptoms; however, if...
Benign uterine growths are tissue enlargements of the female womb (uterus). Three types of benign uterine growths are uterine...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Getting Pregnant (Tips for Trying to Conceive)
Trying to get conceive, or become pregnant can be challenging, frustrating, and an emotional rollercoaster for some couples. A...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a...
A dry socket is a potential complication that can occur when a blood clot in the gums becomes dislodged after a tooth extraction....
Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS)
Toxic shock syndrome is an infection that causes symptoms such as low blood pressure, fever, and a rash with peeling skin....
Hot Flashes (Causes, Symptoms & Medication Treatment in Men and Women)
Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause,...
Vulvodynia or vaginal pain, genital pain is a condition in which women have chronic vulvar pain with no known cause. There are...
Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI)
Primary ovarian iInsufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI) is the cessation of normal functioning of the ovaries in...
Reproductive health encompasses the beginning of menstruation for women, choosing the right birth control method for you and your...
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is considered a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). PMDD has also been referred...
Amenorrhea (including hypothalmic amenorrhea) is a condition in which there is an absence of menstrual periods in a woman. There...
Iron is a mineral our bodies need. Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from not enough iron in the body. It is the most...
POTS (POT Syndrome, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)
POT syndrome (POTS, postrual orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) is a nervous system disorder that causes lightheadedness and...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Bleeding During Pregnancy (First Trimester)
Bleeding during pregnancy is never normal. Causes of bleeding during the first trimester of a pregnancy may be caused by...
Central Precocious Puberty
Central precocious puberty is characterized by the unusual early onset of puberty -- in girls, prior to 8 years of age, and boys,...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
Pimple vs. Cold Sore
Pimples are areas of skin inflammation with pus in the center. Cold sores are fluid-filled blisters. Pimples are caused by...
PMS vs. Pregnancy (Differences and Similarities)
Many women have difficulty figuring out if they are pregnant, have PMS, or are about to start their period. The most common signs...
Spotting vs. Period (Differences Between Symptoms and Signs)
Menstruation (a female's "period") occurs due to the shedding of the lining of the uterus. Menstrual bleeding lasts about...
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- etodolac, Lodine (Discontinued)
- meclofenamate; Meclomen
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- fenoprofen, Nalfon
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- medroxyprogesterone, Provera, Depo-Provera, Depo-Sub Q Provera 104
- celecoxib (Celebrex)
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- blue-green algae (Cyanobacteria, Spirulina)
- vitexagnus castus (Chaste Tree, Chaste Berry, Vitex, Monk's Pepper, Agnus Castus, Gattlier, Indian)
- Lysteda (tranexamic acid)
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
Prevention & Wellness
- Two-Thirds of Poor U.S. Women Can't Afford Menstrual Pads, Tampons: Study
- Health Tip: Help Relieve Menstrual Pain
- Health Tip: Things to Remember About Acne
- Health Tip: Use Tampons Safely
- Can Type 2 Diabetes Lead to Irregular Periods for Teen Girls?
- Even Organic Cotton Tampons Can Cause Toxic Shock: Study
- Early Periods May Heighten Obesity Risk Later
- Early Periods Tied to Mental Health Issues Into Adulthood
- Could Smoggy Air Affect a Girl's Periods?
- Early Periods, Higher Heart Risks?
- Are Her Chocolate Cravings a Product of the Culture?
- Does Early Puberty Affect a Girl's Academic Achievement?
- Estrogen May Influence Women's Depression Risk
- No Such Thing as Menstrual Memory Fog
- Health Tip: Exercise During Menopause
- Keep an Eye Out for Eating Disorders in Loved Ones
- Lower-Income Girls in U.S. Feel Unprepared for Puberty
- Menopause and a Decline in Intimacy
- DNA May Influence Your Reproductive Decisions
- Know Your Risk for Ovarian Cancer -- and the Symptoms
- Later Start, Finish to Menstruation May Extend Women's Lives
- Health Tip: Hormones Can Affect Women's Dental Health
- Base Quit-Smoking Day on Menstrual Cycle?
- Exploring the Link Between Estrogen and Migraines
- Toxic Shock Cases: More Than a Blip?
- Coagadex Approved for Rare Clotting Disorder
- Women's Faces Are Redder During Ovulation, Study Says
- Soda Habit May Prompt Early Puberty in Girls, Study Suggests
- Study Ties Teen Smoking to Risk of Severe Menstrual Cramps
- Who's a Hunk Depends on Time of the Month
- Health Tip: Need Extra Iron?
- Health Tip: Get More Restful Sleep
- Time of Month May Affect Women's Concussion Recovery
- Earlier Onset of Periods May Not Mean Earlier Sex
- Childhood Obesity Again Tied to Earlier Puberty in Girls
- Hormone Levels May Help Predict Breast Cancer Risk, Study Finds
- Plastics Chemicals Tied to Reproductive Woes for Both Sexes
- Talking to Your Daughter About Puberty
- Shift Work Might Affect Women's Periods, Fertility: Study
- IUD May Be Best for Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
- Early Menstruation Tied to Factors That Raise Heart Disease Risk
- Women's Respiratory Symptoms May Vary With Menstrual Cycle
- Are Knee Injuries Tied to Menstrual Cycle?
- Health Tip: Am I at Risk for Endometriosis?
- Health Tip: Factors That Can Worsen Acne
- Health Tip: Are You at Risk for Anemia?
- Child Abuse Might Alter Onset of Menstruation in Girls
- Menstrual Cycles May Affect Women's Shopping Patterns
- Can Fertility Treatments Influence Later Breast Cancer Risk?
- Health Tip: What Triggers Your Migraines?
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Also Help Menstruation, Skin, Hair
- Afinitor Approval Expanded to Include Benign Kidney Tumors
- Severe PMS May Last Longer Than Thought
- For Sleep Struggles, Women Urged to Alter Routines
- 'The Pill' Can Help Ease Period Pain, Study Finds
- New Warning Added to Avastin Label
- Gene Mutation Found in Uterine Fibroids
- Some Athletic Girls Risk Stress Fractures
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter