Patient Comments: Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Celilia T., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I suffered from endometriosis for 1 year and basically got cured by Fuyan pill, a kind of traditional Chinese medicine. Holding the attitude of trying, and insisting on taking the 2 courses, there was an obvious improvement in the disease. Then I insisted on taking it for 3 months and I have been cured successfully. It produces results a little slower, but it's mild and less harmful to people's health.

Comment from: Goldie, (Patient) Published: June 10

A rose thorn pricked near my elbow. I had subsequent lymphatic drainage from the site of prick to fingertips (duration one month). Drainage has stopped but arm is swollen from fingertips to shoulder. Treatment revealed no blood clot. Dicloxacillin was given for possible sporotrichosis infection. Doctor said I may have injured a blood vessel and that the swelling may last for nine months. I am exercising my arm every day and elevating it whenever possible.

Comment from: Dean K., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I dislocated my pinky last night playing basketball, one small bone sitting on top of the other; kind of hideous looking. I went to the emergency room, and the doctor put it back in place after taking x-ray to make sure there was no fracture. He numbed it first with local injection of lidocaine. He also took three more x-rays after putting it back. Now I am in splint. Pain is mild throbbing, lessens with ice, and elevation. I will be seeing a specialist in a few days. So far, so good.

Comment from: Ashisu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

About 6 years ago, I was walking through my apartment and hit my right foot on a door frame. The pain was awful, and I cried out and fell to my knees. It took me a few minutes to recover and hobble to my couch. I did not notice any immediate swelling or bruising. It wasn't tender to the touch, but movement and walking were very painful. I tried to walk to my bedroom and was in tears by the time I reached the bed. By the next morning, the pain had lessened enough that I was able to walk but with a pronounced limp. I could not run if I tried. The area around my small toes was swollen and bruised by that time. I went to a clinic that evening and had my foot x-rayed. My fourth toe (next to my pinky toe) on my right foot had a hair-line fracture. All the doctor could do was buddy wrap it. It took about 6 weeks to fully heal.

Comment from: W Ealy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I'm almost 34 and started the period when I was 14 years old. My period has never been easy. I have cramp every month since the first one. I often have severe pain usually the first day of period, starting with mild cramp at lower abdomen that gets stronger by time. It will hurt more and more for a few hours before I throw up and have diarrhea. After that I'll have cold flash and then hot flash, along with the cramp of course. No pain medicine works at this point. I've noticed that if I started mild cramp, I have to take Pamprin maximum strength immediately. Other pain killers won't do. If I took pill in the beginning, I have only a mild one which is fine, because the severe one keeps me a whole day in pain and I feel helpless. After the C-section, my cramp is not at low abdomen anymore. It's kind of in the middle or higher, I wonder why.

Comment from: dummy, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

After my minimally invasive hip replacement pain has been getting worse every day for the last five years.

Comment from: tessay, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I feel dizzy if I take a long walk, and my chest pains.

Comment from: Patricia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Twenty four hours after a meniscus tear to my knee simply walking in the house, the excruciating pain in lower leg was a ruptured Baker's cyst from the meniscus tear that formed a large hematoma in the calf. Six weeks later and after a MRI of knee and calf, a second ultrasound shows no change at all, hematoma is the same size. I have constant pain and recurring swelling. I had been continuing to go out and walk for 2 or 3 hours, and had started physical therapy. Because of recurring swelling I was told only to rest, keep leg elevated and ice as necessary.

Comment from: BekahC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I've suffered from cramps from my first period, although it took me a while to realize what they were, since my mother never had them. I have gastric problems and chills at the beginning of my period and the pain doesn't usually last for longer than a day, thank goodness. I used to take 2 Aleve at the beginning of the pain and that could take care of the cramps for the most part, I might end up taking another. Now due to stomach issues, I take calcium/ magnesium, use a heating pad, and sip a little wine, not very much. It all helps.

Comment from: hardlythere123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I'm 19 and started my period right around the time I turned 11, and have been having severe cramps since I was 15. I had to go home from school multiple times because I was shaking and crying, and couldn't walk (I've also had nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, back pain, and pain in front) for up to three hours. All I can say is that going to a gynecologist was a blessing. Medication allows me to continue things as normal when I might have had bad cramps.

Comment from: MS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I'm 26 years old and started my menses at 10 years old. From the start, my cycle has been regular and involves cramps along with heavy flow for a week. The cramps are the most intense on the 1st day of my cycle and lessen on the 2nd and are gone by the 3rd, but the pain is never super bad, just mildly annoying and I used to take a Midol for the day. Now I just ride out the cramps since they're not that painful. The only time it was really bad was when I was 15; it hurt so bad I was lying down curled in on myself, it felt like I couldn't move and the Midol I had taken wasn't working. I eventually vomited and that was the end of it. It's never been that bad ever since.

Comment from: OverlyAnnoyed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I've had a period since I was 10, I'm 30 now and the cramps are worse than ever. Nothing that worked in the past has been working. I have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach and back cramps. I do notice that it's mainly the 2nd to 3rd day of my period. I am just nervous it's more than just cramps. But my doctors say it's not. I am so confused and tired of the pain every month.

Comment from: Kris177, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I'm 17 and having only been having cramps since I started high school. They are just about every day I'm on my period and vary in severity. I use Midol and Motrin (alternating so my body doesn't start rejecting one or the other) and drink a lot of water. I also find that walking/light exercise and laughing with friends helps.

Comment from: fofa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

My pre period pain starts 2 weeks before and worsen as the day of the period gets near. It's almost more painful than the first 2 days and especially in the evening. Everyone says I have to take pain killers. My period lasts 4 days with normal bleeding, not much.

Comment from: NM, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 29 years old and have been getting painful periods since I was 13. I experience severe pain in my lower abdomen and lower back, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and have almost fainted a few times. Last year, I had to visit the emergency room 3 times. I have a retroverted uterus which seems to add to the pain. My gyno has prescribed Evening Primrose tablets and Vitamin E tablets for 3 months. He has also told me to take Mefenamic Acid tablets (Meftal Spas) on a need to basis, but try to take them before the pain sets in. This has helped a lot. I also use a hot water bag and get a slow massage which helps immensely.

Comment from: MsBridges, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 48 and have had my period since I was 9 years old all the women in my family started early. I developed at a very early age. I still get a period every month but in the last year the cramps on the first and second day makes me not eat, throw up and tampons feel like someone sticking a dagger up in me. My only child is 21 and a girl she started at 10 year old we now cycle together oh what a household. I have had problems with prescription drugs so I choose not to take them any longer but I was always told by my mom that taking hot baths when you have your period is a no no! But I feel much better after a shower I just wish I could sit down!

Comment from: Ouch!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

Mine are so bad I spend up to 2 weeks a month in bed. I have had to give up my whole life. They cause me severe intestinal problems, and depression. The Advil in double doses keeps me from laying there moaning, but it upsets my stomach, but I still take it. Nothing really helps, but to just not move. Sometimes it's so bad I can't walk without a walker. I was on bio-identical progesterone hormones for 1 month and it helped greatly. The insurance co. caught it and took it away. The dr's have been not helpful in fighting to get it back and can't afford it on my small disability payments. I am pre-menopausal and that's what's made it worse-topped with fibromyalgia-the cramps cause my pain to flair. Synthetic hormones just make me very sick and they are too big a risk with my conditions. I so want to go back to having some sort of life where I can do things but it's going to be another 8 years before there's a prayer-by them I hope this periods stuff will be behind me and fat chance the medical system will allow anything safe that works to be approved. I remember when my life stopped when my periods started at age 13-had to give up my dreams by 16-I couldn't do anything.

Comment from: Omotola, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I started menstruating when I was 13 years and I am 29 years now. I had menstrual cramps all these years and it grew worse yearly, until March this year, my Mum insisted I stop taking sugary things, no minerals, juice, sweet biscuits. I stopped, because pain killers never worked except I take injections. Now in the last 3months, I hardly take pain reliever during my circles, instead of taking pain relievers about 8-10 times I take it once a month.

Comment from: wolffriendinus, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I get craps once a month, usually on the first day of my period. The severity of the pain all depends on how soon I catch it and take medicine. I've tried hot baths and showers, but they don't work. Instead, I take Midol and curl up in a ball on my bed until the pain goes away. This usually only takes about 30 minutes, sometimes less. If for some reason I'm unable to take the Midol, the pain will be so bad that I can't move. I've actually had to crawl on my hands and knees to the bathroom before because I didn't catch the pain in time.

Comment from: Sara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I'm 28 years old and had cramps since 13 years old. Checked by doctors, went on the pill at 14, but developed 2 cancer tumors, which were removed. I'm not on birth control anymore. Had pelvic exams, showed I have cysts but when they burst I can't even move, or get out of bed. So painful! I tried every medicine on the market. I bleed tremendously.

Comment from: Melanie, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

When I have my monthly period at the same time I get this dysmenorrhea and it is really painful and it gives me dizziness, I throw up, I get so miserable.

Comment from: maria m, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have a lot of menstrual cramps that I cannot even move does, this is my first time feeling this since I had my period so I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Ruth, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been getting cramps since I started last year. They have been very painful. My sister crosses her legs to help her cramps but I find this does not work for me. I use a hot water bottle which I find eases the cramps and makes me feel much better.

Comment from: lml, 45-54 Female Published: July 31

I'm 48 years old - nearly 50 - and my cramps continue to be severe. I am bedridden for up to 3 days. They are nowhere near as bad as my teens and 20s, but I have also had a baby and in the long run this didn't help me. I take Advil around the clock including when I am not in pain to prevent it, but this isn't the answer, since I tend to sleep through a lot of my cramps. When I wake up, I am in pain again. Hurts to be a woman!

Comment from: ImaginaryFiend, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I'm 16, I only experience cramps on my first day. If I feel any cramps on the other days I just tell myself that is impossible because it is no longer the first day and BAM they're gone. I do feel very slight cramps a few days or the day before my period starts though. This is relatively new to me.

Comment from: pinkfire33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I first started my period a day before my 12th birthday, and had my one and only migraine, and I didn't get cramps at first, but I began having them every month since I was 15. I start having them right before my period and they're the worst on the day I start. (although some months are worse than others). They've been gradually getting worse as I'm getting older, and Midol stopped working for them, and Aleve takes the edge off, and the cramps are usually severe. motrin helps some. i have tried several herbs and it doesn't always help. heating pads do help with them and hot baths have helped with them as well. I am miserable on the day I start my period and sometimes feel nausea with them. I do exercise regularly and am trying to eat healthier, which is hard & I feel like stress also makes the cramps even worse. It hurts most in the abdominal area, and also hurts in my back, hips, and thighs. sometimes I get headaches with cramps. I learned to put up with cramps since I feel better my second day and so on, and couldn't handle birth control pills the brief time I tried them.

Comment from: Maude, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 17 and my cramps started when I was 12 or so. At first, it did hurt but it was manageable (I was still able to go to school). Unfortunately, as I got older, it worsened and I experienced intense pain in my lower abdomen, lower back, and in my upper thighs. I also vomited several times on the first day of each menstrual period. The pain was so intense, I couldn't move – I was constantly shaking and sweating. That was a problem for me, because I couldn't do anything when I was in that condition. I went to see the doctor and she gave me naproxen, which is a type of anti-inflammatory pill. It helped a little, but even the highest dose (500mg) could only ease a maximum 15 percent of the pain. So, a couple of months ago, I went back to see my doctor and she put me on the birth control pill. The first two times I had my period, it still hurt, but it was a pain I could handle. Afterwards, I didn't feel anything at all. So, for me, the birth control pill worked wonders on my menstrual cramps. I just wanted to finish by saying that you can experience side effects with naproxen, because it lightens your blood. I had a severe nosebleed because of that pill and it lasted for a good 20 minutes. The bleeding was so sudden and heavy that I had to hold my hand under my nose so the blood flow wouldn't stain my clothes. So, you should be careful when taking non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs.

Comment from: Wenp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am 45 and had my first period at 12. I had severe cramps every month until age 22 years. I had my first child at age 21 and the cramps stopped for years after my kids were born. It's just recently in the last two years I double over in pain every month. Which is just weird I think that it went away for years and came back. My symptoms are the same as everyone else back pain abdominal pain and diarrhea. I take Advil or Percogesic or Tylenol for pain. I use a hot water bottle on my front side and back. I also take hot showers and baths. It all helps some but I'm miserable for three days and just stay in bed. My husband and family steer clear of me because I'm so mean and cranky. I hate it! I also take vitamins everyday but I can't tell that anything really helps that much.

Comment from: Alisha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have tried taking kalms, a herbal remedy made out of plants. Just a day or two before your periods you are supposed to start. It helped me last time, although the cramp was still there this time. Maybe it will help.

Comment from: miss mhey, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm 18 years old. I have severe menstrual cramps. I had my period when i was 10. It hurts so much. It has affected my studies and activities. I vomit and experience diarrhea.

Comment from: evette, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I used to have a severe menstrual cramps. Heating pads and hot ginger tea helped to ease the pain.

Comment from: ariadna73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I try to avoid sugars all month, but when the cramps set in I usually have a cup of hot mocha and it seems to take away the pain. If I have had more candy or chocolate than usual during the month, then the "mocha miracle" does not work. I think it has something to do with a "sugar shock" or something.

Comment from: princessyurie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I got my first period when I was 11 years old. I developed anemia, and the bleeding started to last for a minimum of 10 to 17 days. My cramps are so intense, that I will double over in pain. The symptoms I get along with my cramps are nausea, headaches, fatigue, cravings, and bloating.

Comment from: angi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I get cramps a few times a month, I suspect its during my ovulation cycle. However when I was a teenager I had no cramps. When I started college I began to have cramps that were so painful that I would cry and vomit from the pain. No pain medication seemed to work and when I went to the doctor I was informed I had endometriosis and was put on birth control to attempt to control my pain. It did work for a while maybe about a year but then the cramping came back and I was again unable to find anything to relieve the pain. Since then I have disovered a routine that actually works for me. When I first started to feel cramping I would make sure to take two Ibuprofin 200 ml and then take a hot bubble bath with peppermint epsom salt like you find in the foot care aisle. While I'm in there I try and eat some crackers, some type of protein like almonds and a little bit of dark chocolate just to get something in my stomach to digest. I also make an herbal tea that works wonders for me. All you do is take one green tea packet, rose hips tea packet, and a few hybiscus flowers and a cup of water. Steep these in the water for about 3 minutes and add honey, lime, lemon, and juice from an orange. You can find the tea and hybiscus flowers at whole foods or asian markets normally. Then I sit up in my bed with pillow proping me up and drink the tea. I normally start to feel better within like 15 minutes of doing this. Also, try not to use a tampon when you are cramping bad. I usually use a pad until I'm not in pain then switch.

Comment from: mrs.gil, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Every month, it is so stressful.

Comment from: Gloria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Every time I get my period the first day is terrible. Sometimes on third day they return for a couple of hours.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

Every month but the intensity varies. As I have gotten older they seem to have increased. I have fibroids (like most every woman my age). The doctor said that can increase the cramping. I also have labor like low back pain and it radiates down my thighs. Just hoping for "the change" right now.

Comment from: Ann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

On a monthly basis with headache, dizziness and lack of appetite. I used drink lot of warm water to minimize the pains. I am currently using some prescribed tablets called Fenamin.

Comment from: Kitten, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I am 15 and started my periods when I was 11. I get menstrual cramps every month and have gone through all of the available period pain medications that are available over the counter and five or six different types of paracetamol products. They have also gotten worse as I have gotten older.

Comment from: wutwut, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I tend to cramp on the first day of my period. Once I start bleeding, the pain can be distressing enough that I want to lie down and cry. Fortunately, I find that drinking lots of water on a continual basis usually alleviates the pain when I am due to have my period. Once it does start, I am able to forego any ibuprofen or other painkillers. Also, I take generic Imodium AD to alleviate diarrhea symptoms.

Comment from: in need of help, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm 22 years old and have been having severe cramps since I was 12 years old. I get the hot cold sweats, severe diarrhea when on my period, lower back pain, vomiting, and nausea. I was tested for ovarian cysts about six years ago and nothing came up. My mom had endometriosis when she was my age and was not able to have kids but miraculously had me when she was 40. Since endometriosis is hereditary I'm starting to think that I may have it as well since I do take after a lot of health problems from my mom. I have one of those crappy doctors who just prescribes pills and never has a solution so I'm looking to get referred to a specialist. The pills that my doctor prescribes to me are naproxen 375mg and they seem to take the severity of the pain down a bit.

Comment from: shirley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have been having bad cramps from the time I was 14, I usually take diclofenac and buscopan tablets. Sometimes they don't work; so I end up using diclofenac or Buscopan injections which reduce the pain.

Comment from: simplyme, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I am 17 years old. I began having menstrual cramps when I was about 14. They're the worst on the first day of my period. I often throw up 10 times and have indescribable pain in my stomach. It's so bad that all I can do is moan. OTC meds don't work for me at all. I just have to wait until I start to feel better, which normally isn't until the next day.

Comment from: CoachClaudia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have experienced severe menstrual cramps since my first period. After the birth of my daughter in 2001 the pain was bearable and required very minimal pain relief. In 2005 I had my son and all was well for 3 years. The pain is back with a vengeance and since 2011 I am suffering from severe cramps, leg pain, backache that my family is now in tears when they see my curled up. I have tried all the NSAIDs, tylenol, Pamprin, Advil you name them. I've had to call out from work on the 3rd and final days of my period. The last day is the worst!! Sitting over a hot water with a heated pad gives a little relief. HELP. Calling my gyno today, this is it. I am 35 and I've been struggling since 13.

Comment from: pret, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I have been getting severe menstrual cramps from the beginning. Someone told me it reduces after the delivery, but now I have a 16 months baby and I still experience severe pain, this time I tried taking motrin 400mg and a glass of lime juice. I felt much better.

Comment from: Unknown, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

I'm 26 and started menstruating at 14. I experience menstrual cramps on monthly basis. These cramps started at 19 and during my cycle I experience severe pains on the abdomen, lower back ache for 5days. I feel nausea & loss of appetite especially on the 1st day. Heavy bleeding such that I've to change after every 2 hours for the 1st 3 days, then light bleeding the last 2days. I also experience pms 3days prior to my monthly period. What are the best pain relievers, I usually use diclofenac but it does not help.

Comment from: Kara, Female Published: January 31

I'm 15 and I have just started having continuous cramps for 8 days straight every period for about 5 months now. I've tried many different pain killers, even over the counter and my best relief is sitting in the shower letting the warm pressured water hit my bladder area. I wish there were more long lasting solutions.

Comment from: Betharu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I am 44. I had severe cramps on the first day of my period into my mid-20's. This has subsided. Now, I just have very bad back pain - which I don't even attempt to alleviate with medication as 4 Advil don't even touch the symptoms. But now, I have cramps around Day 3-4 of my period. Just lovely! I am ready to be rid of this monthly thing!

Comment from: Cheryl, 25-34 Female Published: September 27

I am 26 and I feel the pain has worsened with age. One month it's sort of tolerable, the other month, it's painful. I never thought I would have to skip work & the very thought of doing so makes me feel handicapped 2 days a week. For the first time it has freaked me out. I suffer from PMS as well. I try to kill the pain with panadol or some prescription from the chemist. I am still trying to figure out what's best for me, and I just hope that it reduces with age.

Comment from: granny#1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I am 40 years old and never experienced cramps until I got my tubes tied at the age of 27.Now I have severe cramps every month that are debilitating. I can't get out of bed for 2 days the pain is so bad. Usually I don't cramp until the bleeding has already started, midol use to be my best friend now that doesn't seem to work. I've talked to many doctors I even had that ablation that slowed the bleeding to almost nothing but has done nothing for the cramps.

Comment from: XBrOoKeX, 19-24 Female Published: July 27

I started my period, when I was 11 now I am 19. I've never had problems with cramping until now; I have a very abnormal period so I went to my doctor to get on the pill to see if that would regulate it. I've only been on the pill for less than a month and now I'm experiencing horrible cramps, I'm to the point of crying. I've read that birth control can cause a heavier bleeding and painful cramps, but I'm beginning to think that birth control is not worth it!

Comment from: Genesis, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I am 16, and I first got my period when I was 12. Worst pain in my life. I have fainted from pain it's so bad, and it's not just that first day, it's before the bleeding, during and after. It's horrible and as of right now, I can't go to the doctor myself, and my mother seems not to care about it. I think I have endometriosis, I'm not sure yet, but I hope that I don't.

Comment from: vampyers_white_rose, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I've had my period since I was in the 5th grade....But I've only started having really bad cramps in the past few years...They have been getting worse and harder. I always get them the first few days and they are in my pelvic, back and upper legs.

Comment from: BFEUSA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I started my period when I was 11. The menstrual cramps were so bad, I missed a week of school a month...When I became older and had children, the pain slowly had gotten better. However, the past few years, the pain has returned. Not only pain, but, moodiness, bloating, nausea. Things I never experienced before. A hysterectomy is looking like the way to go, eventually. I am 31 years old, tubes are tied. The doctor had to give me Vicodin for pain, as Advil and other over the counter meds don't even take the edge off. However, hot baths ease the pain and Thermacare's mentrual heating like pads are wonderful!! A little expensive, but well worth the $7 for three of them. If anyone knows of other things that might help, please let me know.

Comment from: Ammmy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I get menstrual cramps all the days of my periods, each month. I started my periods at age 16 and I'm now 28 years, but I go through hell every month. I had surgery in 2003 and my right ovary was removed because of cysts, I thought that was a relief to my painful periods but it worsened. I call in at work because of the pain. I have tried most of the pain killers and sometimes I have to overdose in order to bear the pain. I vomit a lot and loose my appetite for 4 days.

Comment from: Reinthala, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I wanted to look up some form of treatments for this same problem. Dysmenorrhea is hereditary on both sides of my family. The article talks about clots, but we don't pass clots. We pass uterine tissue. Please do not confuse the two. The pain I get can be so bad that I've literally laid in bed and cried. I have found some things that help, though. I take a daily women's vitamin, which has higher B vitamins. I try to take an extra B12 when I know I'm close to my period. Charting has helped me greatly. I do use a heating pad on my lower back when it gets bad, and stretching often helps. One thing I want to look into is Angelica root, which is a Chinese remedy for it; they have a tea specifically for angelica root. Exercise is always great, and it has helped keep the pain down. I have yet to find out if lowering my body fat to under 10% works or not, but when I feel prepared to handle getting that low, I will try to pass that on also. Most female body builders don't have a period, or have a very light one. So if you're willing to try to put on a bit more muscle, go for it.

Comment from: bonnie23456, Female Published: March 15

I have had severe menstrual cramps since about 14, now I'm almost 30. Sometimes the pain is so bad I have to lay on the bathroom floor. Then I begin to vomit anything that I had eaten and also start to sweat profusely, so bad it soaks through my shirt and my hands and arms slip off the toilet when I'm trying to throw up. After about an hour or so of that, the cold hits and the shivers starts and the pain intensifies. Only until I finally pass out from the pain does it start to go away. I have tried Vicodin and all sorts of other stuff but the only thing that has ever saved me from this hell is Mobic, a fantastic NSAID that is prescribed.

Comment from: Nofolry, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

I am 33 years old. I started having menstrual cramps at 9 years old. My cramps started before I even saw my period at age 10. Since then, I have always had painful cramps and heavy bleeding. Sometimes it's so painful that I can't go to work.

Comment from: Mor, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I've experienced these cramps I think when I first started my period. They happen every time when I get in my period. Every time. So they make me vomit, give me a running stomach and make me lose my appetite. It goes on like that for at least two days, but my appetite is restored after about a week, so the only thing if can take as food is only juices and biscuits. I take myprodols to control the pain, it helps a lot.

Comment from: susiemarie81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had little or no period since 2000. I'm 29 years old. It's been 4 years since my last blood flow. Recently I've been having some cramps. From severe to minimal. I bled for a hot minute, but I'm still having the cramps. Just wondered if anyone had any advice for me.

Comment from: Chujor , 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 14 years and I have been experiencing menstrual cramps ever since I started menstruating n it is usually very painful. The worst of all is that I don't get to take any pills because my mom told me that the pills shrink the womb.

Comment from: ms.pain, 35-44 Female Published: February 02

It seems every month I have 2 miss work my cramps hurt me so bad I have been prescribed three different types of pain pills naproxen, ibuprofen, now in taking procet and on top of that I take 2 blood pressure pills. Taking all these pills makes me sick. I am in so much pain when it time for my period I never even bleed just lots of pain.

Comment from: Fighter_n_Lover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Had awful cramps since puberty at age 12. I have tried birth control pills to alleviate them but the side effects were more debilitating than the cramps. Now that I'm off those the cramps have returned. I need to alternate between NSAIDs to dull them enough to function minimally. Exercise does work to relieve the remnants of the cramps after the first few days. But during those first days I am not good for anything more strenuous than sitting at my desk. This monthly annoyance is quite disruptive to my work efficiency and my fitness goals.

Comment from: Saima, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 31

I have the same problem with cramps during my periods. I have tried Vitamin E capsules of 400mg daily in my regular diet and I am able to keep myself away from cramps during periods. It really works! I suggest you all should try at least for month and feel the difference!

Published: January 07

Try using a portable heat wrap (Thermacare). You can find them in the pharmacy areas. I find it helps the medicine work better as keeps all those muscles relaxed.

Comment from: lovely, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have menstrual cramps just as bad as everyone here says. When nothing worked I tried two Midol extended relief (preferably before it starts). I'm able to actually enjoy the day. It works for me hopefully it can work for you.

Comment from: AJ, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I'm 15 years old and have been getting my period since I was 12 years old. It seems like some months my period is really light, but then other months I can't even move. Sometimes I get really bad lower back pains and cramps at the same time. I sit on the bathroom floor for an hour hoping that I don't throw up. If I can't get to Midol or my naproxen then it gets to the point where I start to almost shake and I start sweating. I also use a heating pad and usually just curl up with it and try to fall asleep. But definitely using a heating pad or taking a really hot shower helps me.

Comment from: JPT1992, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I'm 19 years old and have had my period since I was about 9 or 10. My very first period I had horrible cramps and was in the bathroom for hours. Ever since then I have always had really bad cramps the first and second days. It gets so bad that sometimes I cry for hours. I have tried every over-the-counter medication. Sometimes they work and sometimes they do nothing. When I do get the pain to go away I just want to sleep the rest of the time I'm on it.

Comment from: LadyT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

My cycle last 6 days. I have cramps everyday during the cycle.

Comment from: Babykakes, Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I've been having cramps for 23 years now got my period at 9 soon at 14 day cramps followed nothing really helps but Aleve my first day is tolerable but day 2 I can't eat, sit, stand let alone work.

Comment from: patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I experience severe menstrual cramps almost every month. The vomiting and pain is unbearable.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter