Menstrual cramps (pain in the belly and pelvic area) are experienced by women as a result of menses. Menstrual cramps are not the same as premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Menstrual cramps are common, and may be accompanied by headache, nausea, vomiting, constipation, or diarrhea. Severity of menstrual cramp pain varies from woman to woman. Treatment includes OTC or prescription pain relief medication. Read more: Menstrual Cramps Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain?
There are many causes of pelvic pain in women including cysts, PMS, appendicitis, and bladder infections. Pelvic pain has...
What Are Uterine Fibroids? Symptoms, Treatment, Pictures
What are uterine fibroids? Who gets uterine fibroids, and how can you prevent them? Learn about uterine fibroid treatments, from...
Sex-Drive Killers: The Causes of Low Libido
Noticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can...
Puberty In Girls Quiz: Stages of Puberty
Take the Puberty In Girls Quiz to learn the myths and facts about normal adolescent growth and development for teens and tweens....
Picture of Uterine Fibroids
Uterine fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus (the womb) and the single most common indication for hysterectomy. See a picture...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Teen Drama: Handling Mean Girls, Cyber Bullying, and Sexting
Being a teenage girl comes with a variety of challenges. Here are tips on dealing with dating, sexting, cyber bullying, mean...
Related Disease Conditions
Endometriosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Prognosis)
Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines,...
PMS vs. Pregnancy (Differences and Similarities)
Many women have difficulty figuring out if they are pregnant, have PMS, or are about to start their period. The most common signs...
Menstruation (menstrual cycle) is also referred to as a "period." When a woman menstruates, the lining of the uterus is shed....
Perimenopause (Symptoms, Signs, Remedies, and Treatments)
Perimenopause is the time in a woman's life when she is approaching menopause. During this time a woman starts to develop...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of physical and emotional disturbances that occur after a woman ovulates and ends...
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is considered a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). PMDD has also been referred to...
Spotting vs. Period (Differences between Symptoms and Signs)
Menstruation (a female's "period") occurs due to the shedding of the lining of the uterus. Menstrual bleeding lasts about...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Reproductive health encompasses the beginning of menstruation for women, choosing the right birth control method for you and your...
Menstrual Cramps - Effective Treatments
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your menstrual cramps?Post View 98 Comments
Menstrual Cramps - Experiences
How often do you experience menstrual cramps?Post View 142 Comments
Menstrual Cramps - Other Causes
Do foods, stress, daily activities or other factors worsen menstrual cramps? How do you manage and treat these other causes or triggers?Post View 14 Comments
Menstrual Cramps - Symptoms
Please describe the symptoms of your menstrual cramps.Post View 24 Comments
Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls
If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.Post View 28 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- Birth Control Pills (List of Oral Contraceptives and Side Effects)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- celecoxib, Celebrex
- ibuprofen chewable - oral, Advil, Children's Advil, Motri
- naproxen - oral, Anaprox, Naprosyn
- naproxen sustained-release - oral, Naprelan
- naproxen suspension - oral, Naprosyn
- ibuprofen suspension - oral, Children's Advil, Children's M
- diclofenac - oral, Cataflam, Zipsor
- nafarelin acetate spray - nasal, Synarel
- ketoprofen - oral, Orudis
- ibuprofen - oral, Advil, Motrin, Nuprin
- NONSTEROIDAL ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DRUGS (NSAID)-ORAL
- etodolac, Lodine (Discontinued)
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- fenoprofen, Nalfon
- estrogens conjugated, Premarin
- ketoprofen (Discontinued brands: Nexcede, Orudis, Oruvail, Actron)
- mefenamic acid - oral, Ponstel
- dong quai (Angelica sinensis, Chinese Angelica, Tang Kuei, Tan Kue Bai Zhi, Tanggwi, Toki)
- vitexagnus castus (Chaste Tree, Chaste Berry, Vitex, Monk's Pepper, Agnus Castus, Gattlier, Indian)
- Lysteda (tranexamic acid)
- wild yam (Dioscorea villosa)-oral
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
- blue-green algae (Cyanobacteria, Spirulina)
- meclofenamate; Meclomen
Prevention & Wellness
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter