Patient Comments: Menopause - Experience

Did you experience weight gain with menopause? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mai an, Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I can't get rid of the weight and terrible hot rash after menopause. It has been going on for almost 10 years; I cannot take estrogen.

Comment from: Toye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have not experienced weight gain with menopause. I have not had a period since 2003. I also have thyroid disease. Hot flashes and night sweats are terrible. Mood changes are terrible.

Comment from: Mollie007, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have experienced weight gain and the muffin top with menopause. I do exercise regularly and watch what I eat. I have been able to control it, but it is with concentrated effort.

Comment from: peachy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

Absolutely. 5 months after surgical menopause, I am about 20 pounds over my pre-hysterectomy weight, without altering my diet. Not easy. I have been back at the gym (3-4 times per week) for 1 month now and I don't think this will make a difference but I keep going because of health benefits.

Comment from: NWcorner, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I started with hot flashes and night sweats at the age of 38. I am 48 and haven't had a period in five years. I still have night sweats and an occasional hot flash. I have gained 35 pounds in the last five years. I keep active and walk every day. I watch what I eat. I have tried many popular diets, and I still cannot lose weight. I was always a pear-shaped woman, but now my weight is all in my mid-section.

Comment from: Grandma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Yes, that dreaded belly fat! Without changing my diet, my waistline seemed to increase almost over night. I have adjusted my caloric intake, pumped up my exercise routine but I really don't see much of a difference although my body feels better than it does when I don't exercise.

Comment from: Purple T, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I gained weight around my middle and I hate it. I have tried diet and walking but nothing seems to make a difference. I hate being 52 and still worrying so much about my weight.

Comment from: Mona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Yes I also gained weight around the middle; I found it very difficult to lose weight. I could cut calories to 1200 a day and the weight didn't budge. I exercise too, I did notice after 3 months of exercise and diet I was able to lose 2 lbs. I feel better but would still like to lose more weight.

Comment from: R.K., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Yes. I work out six days a week and maintain a healthy diet. Unfortunately I have tried to get the weight off with little success. I have slowly grown too accept it.

Comment from: marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

Yes, with menopause I experienced weight gain around my middle plus I found it harder to lose the weight.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter