Patient Comments: Menopause - Experience

Did you experience weight gain with menopause? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Topango, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

Yes, I put on quite a bit of weight around the tummy with menopause.

Comment from: Randy B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was stung by a stingray last week in Florida, at Belleair Beach. The day before my sting, a woman was stung in the water and we saw her lift her foot which was bleeding immediately. We got her ice and only learned, the next day, that ice doesn't help but hot water is necessary to ease the pain as the heat breaks down the venomous protein infused by the sting. Ten minutes after the conversation on shore, I stepped into the water and was stung on the bottom of my foot! Luckily I knew what to do and immediately went to my hotel room and ran hot water over my foot. In the minutes of walking to the hotel, the pain went from bearable to excruciating; only hot water made it okay, but even then I felt like I was going to vomit or pass out for the first 30 minutes. Every time I stopped the hot water, thinking it was enough, a minute would pass and the severe pain would return, then I'd go back to the hot water. I did this for two hours and then I was okay to just lie on the bed. I was surprisingly able to walk on the foot by the evening, and went out to dinner. By the end of the next day, the foot was very tender and the wound began bleeding again. I returned to New York the following day and saw a doctor who prescribed an antibiotic in case of infection. It has now been one whole week and my foot is still extremely sore, I'm finding it difficult to walk properly. I have learned that when entering water where stingrays possibly might be present, it's important to shuffle your feet slowly along the sand which warns them of your approach and shoos them away. Don't lift your feet and walk, as you can step on one, which triggers a sting. I saw three more stingrays at the beach later in the day I was stung, as I stood safely ashore. They must have come as a large group for feeding or breeding.

Comment from: mai an, Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I can't get rid of the weight and terrible hot rash after menopause. It has been going on for almost 10 years; I cannot take estrogen.

Comment from: Toye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have not experienced weight gain with menopause. I have not had a period since 2003. I also have thyroid disease. Hot flashes and night sweats are terrible. Mood changes are terrible.

Comment from: Mollie007, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have experienced weight gain and the muffin top with menopause. I do exercise regularly and watch what I eat. I have been able to control it, but it is with concentrated effort.

Comment from: peachy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

Absolutely. 5 months after surgical menopause, I am about 20 pounds over my pre-hysterectomy weight, without altering my diet. Not easy. I have been back at the gym (3-4 times per week) for 1 month now and I don't think this will make a difference but I keep going because of health benefits.

Comment from: NWcorner, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I started with hot flashes and night sweats at the age of 38. I am 48 and haven't had a period in five years. I still have night sweats and an occasional hot flash. I have gained 35 pounds in the last five years. I keep active and walk every day. I watch what I eat. I have tried many popular diets, and I still cannot lose weight. I was always a pear-shaped woman, but now my weight is all in my mid-section.

Comment from: Grandma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Yes, that dreaded belly fat! Without changing my diet, my waistline seemed to increase almost over night. I have adjusted my caloric intake, pumped up my exercise routine but I really don't see much of a difference although my body feels better than it does when I don't exercise.

Comment from: Purple T, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I gained weight around my middle and I hate it. I have tried diet and walking but nothing seems to make a difference. I hate being 52 and still worrying so much about my weight.

Comment from: Mona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Yes I also gained weight around the middle; I found it very difficult to lose weight. I could cut calories to 1200 a day and the weight didn't budge. I exercise too, I did notice after 3 months of exercise and diet I was able to lose 2 lbs. I feel better but would still like to lose more weight.

Comment from: R.K., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Yes. I work out six days a week and maintain a healthy diet. Unfortunately I have tried to get the weight off with little success. I have slowly grown too accept it.

Comment from: marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

Yes, with menopause I experienced weight gain around my middle plus I found it harder to lose the weight.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter