Patient Comments: Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with approaching menopause?

Comment from: Laurie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Some have commented about periods lasting weeks with approaching menopause. I experienced this in early 2017, on and off bleeding once for an entire month; and doctor referred me for an ultrasound that diagnosed cervical polyps. I had them removed in July and had a normal period late July that only lasted a week. I haven't had one since, but did have slight cramping and anxiety/sense of being overwhelmed I usually get with PMS (premenstrual syndrome) when my period should have come. I've had night sweats and occasional hot flashes during the day for several years. I'm 51.

Comment from: Trixie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I'm 46 and for the first time ever (other than when I was pregnant) I skipped a period. Plain old missed it. I've just passed the time when the next period theoretically should have happened, and now have strange light spotting. Not sure if this is a period or not. I'm also a kidney patient which I know can often cause ovulation to stop, but mine has gone on for 6 years unabated since I started dialysis. I'm not sure if I'm happy about this or not. On one hand, hooray for no more periods, but on the other hand I feel a sense of loss.

Comment from: Ginger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

When I started having severe hot flashes every hour at the age of 49, I suddenly became chemical sensitive with menopause. I could not use soap or lotion, cleaner, spray, candles, etc. My skin was fried for about 2 years with blisters and scabs before we figured it out. The parabens in the soaps and lotion mimic estrogens. When I get a hot flash I will still sometimes itch. The skin on my face is looking much more wrinkled and crepe-like. It hurts and feels extremely parched. I can only use coconut oil and I've had to use olive oil because it's thicker. I will have to make my own sunscreen with titanium dioxide.

Comment from: Jacks63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

From the menopause I am having anxiety attacks about flying. I used to be fine but now any turbulence and my anxiety levels rise. I have flutters and have to cough to clear it.

Comment from: zaza s., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

With approaching menopause I had continuous hot flashes and nonstop sweating.

Comment from: Rlc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am 56. I haven't had a period since December, and now I am bleeding.

Comment from: Nannie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I am having a hard time with everything menopause. It is near a year since I had a period, my symptoms are varied and are leaving me semi housebound as I don't know how I'll be feeling from day to day. I get this horrible scary body sensations which then leaves me in a near uncontrollable crying mess till it passes. I just feel unwell, I get low blood sugar, and feelings like I'm going to pass out. I have to eat every 2 or 3 hours hoping to feel ok. I have low stamina and energy, anxiety, headiness, unsteadiness, also I am hot flushed with blood pressure (BP) spikes. I wake early, occasionally hot and sweaty. I can't take hormone replacement therapy. Lots of other medicines seem to interfere with my BP medicines. I do take herbal menopause tablets but not sure how effective they are. I stopped taking multi B vitamins because of anxiety. Just want to be normal again; been a long 2 years so far.

Menopause - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your menopause symptoms?
Menopause - Experience Question: Did you experience weight gain with menopause?