Patient Comments: Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with approaching menopause? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Laurie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Some have commented about periods lasting weeks with approaching menopause. I experienced this in early 2017, on and off bleeding once for an entire month; and doctor referred me for an ultrasound that diagnosed cervical polyps. I had them removed in July and had a normal period late July that only lasted a week. I haven't had one since, but did have slight cramping and anxiety/sense of being overwhelmed I usually get with PMS (premenstrual syndrome) when my period should have come. I've had night sweats and occasional hot flashes during the day for several years. I'm 51.

Comment from: Trixie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I'm 46 and for the first time ever (other than when I was pregnant) I skipped a period. Plain old missed it. I've just passed the time when the next period theoretically should have happened, and now have strange light spotting. Not sure if this is a period or not. I'm also a kidney patient which I know can often cause ovulation to stop, but mine has gone on for 6 years unabated since I started dialysis. I'm not sure if I'm happy about this or not. On one hand, hooray for no more periods, but on the other hand I feel a sense of loss.

Comment from: Ginger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

When I started having severe hot flashes every hour at the age of 49, I suddenly became chemical sensitive with menopause. I could not use soap or lotion, cleaner, spray, candles, etc. My skin was fried for about 2 years with blisters and scabs before we figured it out. The parabens in the soaps and lotion mimic estrogens. When I get a hot flash I will still sometimes itch. The skin on my face is looking much more wrinkled and crepe-like. It hurts and feels extremely parched. I can only use coconut oil and I've had to use olive oil because it's thicker. I will have to make my own sunscreen with titanium dioxide.

Comment from: Jacks63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

From the menopause I am having anxiety attacks about flying. I used to be fine but now any turbulence and my anxiety levels rise. I have flutters and have to cough to clear it.

Comment from: zaza s., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

With approaching menopause I had continuous hot flashes and nonstop sweating.

Comment from: Rlc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am 56. I haven't had a period since December, and now I am bleeding.

Comment from: Nannie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I am having a hard time with everything menopause. It is near a year since I had a period, my symptoms are varied and are leaving me semi housebound as I don't know how I'll be feeling from day to day. I get this horrible scary body sensations which then leaves me in a near uncontrollable crying mess till it passes. I just feel unwell, I get low blood sugar, and feelings like I'm going to pass out. I have to eat every 2 or 3 hours hoping to feel ok. I have low stamina and energy, anxiety, headiness, unsteadiness, also I am hot flushed with blood pressure (BP) spikes. I wake early, occasionally hot and sweaty. I can't take hormone replacement therapy. Lots of other medicines seem to interfere with my BP medicines. I do take herbal menopause tablets but not sure how effective they are. I stopped taking multi B vitamins because of anxiety. Just want to be normal again; been a long 2 years so far.

Comment from: Michele, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am a 48 year old female, and I have had cycles ranging from 14 days to 34 days long in the past year. I have yet to skip a period. My premenstrual symptoms feel like early pregnancy and my monthly flows are heavy. My moods swing widely in the week before my period and I literally feel like I am going to jump out of my skin. One good thing is that Advil and Midol will help lessen those symptoms. My sex drive is still going full force, thank goodness!

Comment from: lost, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I'm 51. I can't stabilize these menopause frustrations. I have severe mood swings, anxiety to the obsessive hate of hubby admiring other women, depressive ups and downs, restless sleeps, and aching muscles. I am feeling useless to my family. I am on Catapres and Drulox that's supposed to help. I have nervous body jolts, fatigue and brain fog. I had angioplasty six years ago and on minimum medication. I am fully fit and healthy from diabetes and heart disease now; until, along came menopause! Thank you very much!

Comment from: Renee, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 20

I was on birth control pills for 18 years, and went off them 11/13. Since then I have panic attacks very often, anxiety out the roof, hot flashes, night sweats. Indigestion are real bad, feels like I am going to have a stroke at times. I have not had a period since February 2014. My heart all of a sudden starts racing, I've been to the emergency room (ER) twice because I thought I was having a stroke, went to my doctor and she wants me to take anti-depressants, those make me even more anxious. They all say menopause... They want to put me on hormones which I will not take.

Comment from: kenah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am 51 and have not had a period since June 2013. I have already done the hot flash and night sweat thing. Last month I had the worst back and abdominal pain that I haven"t had since I don"t know when. I have had period symptoms with no period since I began menopause in 2011. Mood swings were helped with an antidepressant but it did not help the night sweats.

Comment from: Sunny, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 29

I have been going through menopause since 2008 which started after Depo injection. Over the years I've had mood swings, weight gain around the middle, hot flushes, night sweats, headaches, bad anxiety, palpitations and lately, tummy issues, lack of appetite and weight loss. I have other medical issue that is well under control.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

Just finishing up a delightful 6 week long period. With approaching menopause, I had several days of severe clotting and heavy bleeding, interspersed with many days of regular but light flow. This came in early December, after not having had a period since September. I've been fatigued and very sleepy. I have had some headaches, a couple of very severe headaches, but this may be allergies because the weather has been odd.

Comment from: Sweetpea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm 49 and my periods are never the same. I skipped one month, the next month my period lasted 16 days. I had 10 days off before I had my period back again. The symptoms are always changing, sometimes several changes in a day. Panic attacks, anxiety, crashing fatigue, brain fog, crying, PMS getting stronger, irritability, headaches, nausea; the list goes on. I don't go out on my bad days if I can help it. On the good days I'm so happy like I've been released from jail.

Comment from: Manie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

For the past 10 years I kept telling my doctor that I thought I was going through the change. I had the most horrific periods; hot flashes and night sweats came and went, usually around the time my period was due. The doctor would just tell me I was really just too young. My periods became so bad I became weak from anemia. My doctor suggested HTA (hormone therapy), which would lessen if not stop my periods. I had that done which I will say was the best thing I could have ever done! I still had a period, but light and only a couple of days long; but the cycles were everywhere and my sex drive was much better. For about the past year and a half, I had terrible mood swings, anxiety, anger, indigestion, well let's just a year and a half of PMS (pre-menopausal syndrome). Now my periods have stopped, 4 months ago and my doctor tested my hormones which showed I was postmenopausal. I deal with the hot flashes and night sweats, dry skin and all that it's just really not that bad right now. I take L-Lysine, flaxseed oil and a very low dose of DHEA, and I can say I feel like a million bucks! I eat healthier, exercise, and I have actually lost 20lbs. My doctor prescribed Prempro, I have not taken it yet.

Comment from: gardenwitch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I'm 49 and for the last 4 years or so, with menopause approaching my periods have been closer together, now nearly every 3 weeks. Every so often I'll have one at 4 weeks or slightly longer. PMS has gone from 3 days to over a week, with tension headaches, general irritability, and sugar cravings. I've felt worn-out exhausted for most of the last 2 years. A stubborn 15-pound ring around my waist refuses to budge despite a healthy diet (well except for when I give in to those sugar cravings) and regular vigorous exercise. My sex drive is nearly non-existent. I sweat like a pig at night; thankfully at least it doesn't wake me up. And for about a year, I had bloated tender breasts with fluid-filled cysts. Those subsided after several acupuncture treatments and they haven't been back, thankfully. I've also had heart palpitations and lightheadedness that sent me to the doctor in a panic, convinced I was going to have a heart attack. An EKG was fine and the doctor could find nothing wrong with me other than that I seemed stressed.

Comment from: Visitor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I'm 57, went through menopause around 50 and experienced no typical menopausal symptoms. At most, I felt slightly warm for short periods. It's true, not all women have a terrible menopause.

Comment from: Goldie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Curious to know as I'm heading towards menopause, if your period just stops. I've always been regular to the day. I have had unusual bleeding in past few months, as well as several bladder infections over the year. I stopped bleeding and I've missed 2 periods not really noticing. I know I need to go to the doctor, but I like the knowledge of my own body before I have someone poke and prod scaring me with just the matter of facts.

Comment from: blondie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I'm 51 and had been taking oral contraceptives in a continuous format (so I only had to have a period every 3 months) for 15 years now. When I had that period, I had night sweats every night starting at age 44 but otherwise, the pill kept me symptom free. Now that I'm 51, my doctor doesn't like to prescribe the pill for me anymore so now I get to figure out what menopause symptoms I have in addition to the night sweats. I'm hoping I only have a few more years of symptoms left.

Comment from: gia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have been having irregular periods for about 4 years. This month my period has not happened but it feels like I am having it. I have all the symptoms, but no bleeding. Perhaps I am finally getting to the end!

Comment from: Hating 50's, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I am experiencing menopause and have been for the last 5 to 6 years. I can't function. I can't go outside because I am soaked and have a bad odor. I can't sleep and can't laugh anymore; nothing is fun and I don't know what to do or how to live anymore. Doctors are afraid to treat me due to other health issues. I hate this time of my life when it should be the best time of my life!

Comment from: labrador, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

With my approaching menopause, I have not had a period for 7 months and am experiencing chronic fatigue, weight gain, mood swings and no sexual desire. It is horrible. I hope it ends soon! I am 48 years old.

Published: July 29

I am only 35 and I had to have a hysterectomy due to an illness and now I am feeling as if I have no energy to do anything. I am always crabby and I can't seem to get interested in having sex at all. I pray that I can get some kind of treatment to help me get through this. I am still too young to feel this worn out.

Comment from: PattyR, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I'm 54, and am getting aggravated... no sign of menopause on the horizon! I want this period nonsense to stop! Wait, maybe my crankiness is an early sign.

Comment from: szurek, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I get hot flashes about every 10 to 15 minutes all night long; no sleep for about a month now.

Comment from: JaneDoe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am 42, my period has been regular since I was 10 - every 28 days lasting for 5 days. It continues to be that way but my period ended on Friday last and I continue to have a pain together with fever etc. I went to the doctor and he told me it was menopause. If this is menopause - period pains like a teenager for more than 5 days - is just not cutting it.

Comment from: snippinsista, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

After a hysterectomy at 48 (without removing my ovaries) I felt great! I also lost weight. I had energy, had only an occasional hot flash with flushing and thought "no problem" until about a year later! Ugh! It hit like a freight train! I gained almost 20 lbs. I started feeling tired again, my joints ached and still do, I have frequent headaches and even developed the most annoying condition called burning mouth syndrome! It feels as though I scalded my tongue on hot coffee. I haven't had more than 4 hours of straight sleep in almost a year now and my sex drive is nowhere to be found! I wish I could tell you that the initial "feeling good" will last. For me it did not.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I had terrible, unpredictable hot flashes that I am still having after 5 years of not having a period.

Comment from: tbtexas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I just turned 47 and I am in the middle of my heaviest period I have had. For the last few months my periods have been not usual but they have been light. I was surprised with this heavy period (had to go home during work hours to change clothes!) so I decided to do some research. I feel better knowing that this is not so unusual.

Comment from: blackbeltnj, Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I'm 45 years old and my last period was April 30, 2013. For the past few years, my periods were close together, then skipping a month here and there. I did have the emotional roller-coaster ride as well. Anxiety, panic attacks, etc. I thought it was the stress from work. But now, all that went away. My doctor told me I'm menopausal. But since my last period, I feel great. I only had hot flashes for around 2 months or so and zero weight gain. I actually lost weight. Sex drive hasn't changed either. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced my situation. I hope this won't change because I haven't felt this good in years. Right now, I'm loving menopause.

Comment from: NWcorner, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

My menstrual period was awful from the first day it arrived at age 10. When I started with mood swings, hot flashes, and drenching night sweats, I thought I was going to go insane. Weight gain has been awful. Can't lose it. I am 48 and haven't had a menstrual period in 5 years. That is the one good thing about menopause. But, getting to that point was terrible. Periods so irregular and heavy. My friends did not understand when I was at the height of my misery (they are older than me and are just starting to have the symptoms). Good luck.

Comment from: Renatta, 45-54 Female Published: August 16

I'm 47 had a good Heath but lately I been having palpitations or rapit heart beats, I don't know this its because I'm closer of having m premenopausal or its something else? P

Comment from: cantgetenuf, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

been going through this for about six months but even before that I noticed my sex drive going crazy. Is it normal to want sex more as we're going through the change? MY husband thinks its great and so do I but will it last? Has anyone else had this "problem'?

Comment from: shychicka, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

OMG! yes...and of course 1 year prior I was recovering from a broken left leg and dislocated left ankle.... I gained weight...lost some of it...then had right knee surgery....gained more weight...and of course with Menopause the diets are not working....and am not back to fitness-form....UGH! I never paid attention to my age....but I really hate being 52 :[

Comment from: cindy, 55-64 Female Published: June 14

I had my first change in 1990. It was not a bad as the second time in 2013. This is a bad one. I not only experience hot and cold flashes but horrific mood swings. I experience anger, depression, anxiety, fear, and hopelessness, and get a chemical taste in my nose when I fall apart and cry. I have put on weight in my waist, which has never been a problem. I am afraid I will have to take pills now, which I refused to do in the past. If I don't do something about this, I will have a nervous breakdown. I can understand how women in the old days went crazy and hanged themselves. I have more regular migraines also.

Comment from: karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am soon going to be 48yrs old! I have had hot flashes for 2 years not bad like other women! My problem is last month i had bleeding (im talking heavy bleeding!) for 2 weeks and now 2 weeks later i have my period again! I just wish it would end!

Comment from: sexy runningirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I believe I have been going through perimenopause since I was about 38 years old. It has gotten progressively worse within the last two years. I am now 47. One month I had two periods; another month I bled for the whole month. With a couple other cycles, I bled for two days with a four-day break. The moods carry over even if I am not bleeding at the time: I'm depressed, emotional, and crying. The next minute I can be laughing! My cure is lots of running. I also take tons of vitamins, like B-complex, B12 shots, prenatal vitamins, omega 3's, calcium, potassium, and magnesium.

Comment from: CJ, Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I am 46 years old, and for the past 10 years, I have had night sweats. Within the past year, it has gotten really bad. I wake up almost every night with my shirt wet. I also have to urinate in the middle of the night. For the last year my periods have become very irregular. I may skip a month or have two or three periods in a month. My periods are lasting longer now, up to eight or nine days. I will stop for two or three days, then start again.

Comment from: Sweatin' in Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

The symptoms I am experiencing include life-sucking, ear-burning, disgusting, perspiration-laden hot flashes, day and night; heightened emotions -- I've never been an emotional, teary woman, but I feel frequently on the verge of tears; and I've ballooned up 20 pounds in two months. I'm still having occasional periods, and I was told at age 35 that I was premenopausal. I'm now 45; I started my period at age 12. Aren't I too young for menopause? Can it be induced by stress? I've had a very stress-filled year.

Comment from: Kathy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am only going on 44. I had a partial hysterectomy in the year 2001. I am now experiencing hot flashes and the chills. I for the first time in 20 years have gained 15 pounds. My breasts are larger than ever. My sex drive has increased dramatically.

Comment from: Netty, 35-44 Female Published: August 28

I'm 44 and still have periods although they are getting heavier and less time in between. I start feeling bloated, emotional and angry, even aggressive about 10 days before I start to bleed. I have night sweats and bouts of depression, and I have been tested and my general practitioner. He has said everything is normal!

Comment from: mesospoiled37, 35-44 Female Published: August 26

I am 40 years old, and I would have to say since I was 33, I have been perimenopausal. It has really hit hard over the last six months. I have been having anxiety, hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, no energy, heavier than my normal menstrual cycle, breast tenderness, and a low, if any, sex drive. It hasn't been easy or fun. But I am trying to make the best of it. I am very lucky to have a man who understands everything I am going through. Oh, and I have the facial hair that keeps coming back.

Published: July 30

I experienced about six months of severe PMS that would last for 10 days each time. Then my periods stopped, and I've only had a couple during the last six months. I had chronic insomnia, night sweats, tiredness, and mood swings resulting in my doctor prescribing fluoxetine. My first doctor never acknowledged my symptoms, but my present doctor thankfully has. I'm being reviewed soon and HRT has been suggested.

Published: July 09

18 months my temperature went up and stayed up and 2 months age my periods stopped. The worse part is not being able to focus/think and mood swings. I am always hot and moody to tears for no reason.

Published: July 09

I have had very bad sweats night and day, bad mood swings feeling fine one moment and very irritable the next. I am very emotional and tend to cry at the drop of a hat.

Published: June 27

Painful heavy breasts, lack of libido, extreme irritability, hot flashes, night sweats huge mood swings. It's been awful and I've only just started.

Published: June 25

I have suffered on and off with excessive night sweats and hot flashes during the day and occasional vaginal itching but otherwise have been untroubled by menopause. Any herbal or homeopathic aid known to alleviate these symptoms would be useful.

Published: June 20

I have been experiencing hot flashes since I was 46 and "peri menopausal". I am now 52, still having hot flashes and about 6 months ago the night sweats started with a bang and have gotten worse and worse, along with the "sneaking sads".

Published: June 19

I am 56. I still have periods, last one 2 months ago. I had very heavy sudden periods I called whoosh events because I would have to go home 2-3 times a day to change my clothes. I ended up in the hospital where the doctor told me I was anemic and close to hospitalization. The heavy periods happened on and off for about a year. One week ago, I started with hot flashes. The flashes last about 15-30 seconds, mostly around my upper body and they wake me up 2-3 times per night. I do get uncontrollably irritable about twice a week but that also goes away within an hour or so.

Published: June 18

Symptoms included irritability, extreme breast tenderness/soreness, very mild "warm" flashes.

Published: June 16

When I went through menopause, I developed digestive problems. I has a lot of diarrhea and I vomited a lot.

Published: June 16

I have been have trouble with my period for about a year, heavy at times now the past five weeks I have gone from about 5 days of heavy to very light almost a brownish colour not sure if this is the end. I am feeling very tired because of the blood loss, and am taking iron again.

Published: June 10

I thought I was in menopause as my last period was 10 months ago. Went through the night sweats, etc. Now I am experiencing my period again. Is this normal to have a period after 10 months?

Published: May 27

I just finished a very heavy period last week and just got it back again this week. My periods have been very heavy for several years. But this is the first time it was a week apart (not even a week) and also heavy.

Comment from: Female Published: August 15

My periods became very light. I did not have a period for six months. My doctor thought it was premenopause but when I went for my annual check up and still had not had a period, he concluded I had experienced menopause. I had very mild hot flashes, especially at night. They stopped for a while but have returned. I wake up several times a night. I have experienced depression but the biggest change is that I have absolutely no interest in sex. I don't miss it at all.

Comment from: mfedor, 45-54 Female Published: August 07

When I was approaching menopause, I experienced night sweats, erratic periods, depression, and increased cramping with my periods.

Comment from: sherrie, 65-74 Female Published: August 14

I experienced bleeding for a long peroid of time. One month its normal the next month its 15 or more days.

Published: July 31

I am experiencing mild hot flashes, mild vaginal itching, and dry eyes. My last period was 7 months ago.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter