Meningitis is inflammation of the membranes that cover the spinal cord and brain. Symptoms include fever, headache, and a stiff neck. Treatment of meningitis depends upon the cause of the infection and may include antibiotics or antiviral medications. Read more: Meningitis Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Meningitis Quiz: Test Your Infectious Disease IQ
What is meningitis and what causes it? Take our Meningitis Quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Picture of Brain
The brain is one of the largest and most complex organs in the human body. See a picture of the Brain and learn more about the...
Picture of Brain Layers
That part of the central nervous system that is located within the cranium (skull). See a picture of Brain Layers and learn more...
Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Seizures Symptoms and Types
Seizures are divided into two categories: generalized and partial. Generalized seizures are produced by electrical impulses from...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Is Meningitis Contagious?
Meningitis, inflammation of the meninges, symptoms and signs include neck stiffness, headache, and fever. There are five types of...
Fungal meningitis is a rare disease that is not contagious. Symptoms include fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea, and vomiting....
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Doctors Not Talking About Newer Meningitis Vaccine
- Pharmacist Involved in Deadly Meningitis Outbreak Receives 8-Year Jail Term
- Pharmacist Faces Trial Over Deadly U.S. Meningitis Outbreak
- Compounding Pharmacy Co-Founder to Be Sentenced for Deadly Meningitis Outbreak
- Compounding Center Co-Founder Not Guilty of Murder in Deadly Meningitis Outbreak
- First Criminal Trial in Meningitis Outbreak Caused by Tainted Steroids
- Meningitis B Vaccine Falls Short of Expectations
- New Bacterial Meningitis Vaccine Approved
- FDA Approves New Vaccine to Protect Against Meningitis
- 2 Vaccines Help Cut Bacteria That Cause Meningitis, Study Finds
- Doctors Urge Meningitis Shots for Vulnerable Infants, Children
- Same Meningitis Strain Behind Drexel, Princeton Outbreaks: CDC
- Meningitis Outbreaks: FAQ
- As More Meningitis Cases Hit Colleges, Experts Urge Awareness
- Princeton Students Safe to Travel Despite Meningitis Outbreak: CDC
- Man Relapsed After Treatment for Meningitis Tied to Tainted Injections
- Deadly Meningitis Cases Worry Gay Community
- Childhood Meningitis Tied to Reduced Education, Employment Prospects
- Combo Therapy Helps Knock Out Fungal Meningitis
- Fungal Meningitis Patients: A Long Road to Recovery
- FDA, States Weigh Pharmacy Regulation in Wake of Meningitis Outbreak
- Secondhand Smoke Puts Children at Risk for Meningitis
- Meningitis/Steroid Toll Now 34 Dead
- Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 33 Dead, 480 Sickened, CDC Says
- Owner of Meningitis-Linked Pharmacy Declines to Testify Before Congress
- Congress to Open Hearings Into Steroid/Meningitis Outbreak
- Steroid-Meningitis Toll Now 32 Dead, 438 Sickened, CDC Says
- Report Details Start of Steroid Meningitis Outbreak
- Spine Infections Hit Fungal Meningitis Survivors
- FDA: More Tainted Products at Firm Tied to Meningitis Outbreak
- More Drug Shortages in Fungal Meningitis Aftermath
- Meningitis-Linked Infections Now Number 386, CDC Says
- Fungal Meningitis Outbreak Toll Now 28 Dead, 363 Sickened
- Cases Linked to Fungal Meningitis Now Number 328
- Mass. Launches Criminal Probe of Firm Linked to Meningitis Outbreak: Report
- Latest Meningitis Outbreak Toll: 20 Deaths and 257 Infections, CDC Says
- FDA Agents Visit Mass. Company Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
- FDA OKs Meningitis Vaccine for Infants
- FDA Warns Lamictal Can Cause Meningitis
- Menveo Vaccine Approved for Bacterial Meningitis
- Meningitis Shot Available, Effective Year-Round
- Meningitis Vaccine Gets Expanded Approval
Infectious Disease Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter