Excess pressure in the inner ear results in the typical symptoms of Ménière's disease. These include
- variable hearing loss that fluctuates,
- tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and
- feelings of pressure or fullness in the ears.
The severity and frequency of the symptoms is variable among affected people. Between attacks or episodes, patients are free of symptoms. Attacks can be accompanied by anxiety, blurred vision, jerking eye movements, palpitations, fast heart rate, diarrhea, and trembling.
Causes of Ménière's disease
The exact cause of Ménière's disease is unknown, but it is believed to occur due to an abnormality in the fluid in the inner ear, either an abnormal amount or composition of the fluid in the inner ear.
Li, John C. "Meniere Disease (Idiopathic Endolymphatic Hydrops)." Medscape.com. Nov. 29, 2016. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1159069-overview>.
Main Article on Meniere's Disease Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Balance Disorders: Vertigo, Motion Sickness, Labyrinthitis, and More
What is vertigo? What causes dizziness? Understand different balance disorders and symptoms such as vertigo, motion sickness,...
Ear Infection Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Is it possible to prevent ear infections? Take the Ear Infection (Otitis Media) Quiz to learn the risks, causes, symptoms and...
Tinnitus: Why Are My Ears Ringing?
What is tinnitus? Explore tinnitus (ringing in the ears) causes, symptoms, relief remedies, treatments and prevention tips. Learn...
Vertigo and Balance Disorders Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the quiz and find out the causes, symptoms, treatments, and ways to prevent the confusing balance disorder called vertigo....
Meniere's Disease Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Meniere's Disease Symptoms and Signs
- ephedrine (oral)
- hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide, Hydrodiuril, Ezide, and Hydro-Par have been discontinued)
- meclizine, Antivert, Bonine, Meni-D, Antrizine
- metoclopramide, Reglan, Metozolv ODT, (Reglan ODT, Octamide, and Maxolon
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- prochlorperazine - injection, Compazine
- prochlorperazine - oral, Compazine
- promethazine, Phenergan, Phenadoz, Promethegan
- scopolamine, Transderm-Scop
- triamterene - oral, Dyrenium
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter