Patient Comments: Meniere's Disease - Treatments

What was the treatment for your Meniere's disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: managingmenieres, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had Meniere's disease for over 10 years. I keep it under control with diet and exercise. No caffeine, and a low, low sodium diet, a maximum of 1000 mg per day of sodium. Lots of rigorous exercise that makes you sweat (excess salt leaving your body!) like cycling and boot camps. There are theories about Meniere's being an imbalance of sodium and potassium in the ear canal thus the prescribing of diuretics for treatment. However, exercise can do a better, more natural job of eliminating salt from the body.

Comment from: Luis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about 18 years ago. At the beginning the vertigos were horrible but the ENT put a shunt on the affected ear to help drain the excess fluid. It works as I only get lightheaded every now and then. I keep away from salt and take diuretic pills as needed. Hearing loss and ringing are there, nothing can be done about it so I just enjoy life and try to live a normal life.

Comment from: 69lumber69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease 3 years and 2 months ago. I suffered with extreme ringing in my left ear, dizziness and vomiting, and my balance was not good either. My hearing loss was very fast. I consulted with a friend who had an interest in eustachian tube dysfunction, and she suggested that my symptoms were related to GERD and I began to take Nexium. Amazing! My doctor was suggesting gentamicin treatments which I declined. Try Nexium before gentamicin. I am healed, thank goodness!

Comment from: Unhappy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

The only treatment that helped Meniere's disease was Dyazide. It ended the vertigo, however did nothing to stop the increasing hearing loss and tinnitus. I also cut down on salt, caffeine which includes chocolate and try to not cry, which is difficult with depression. Unfortunately, most antidepressants aggravate the tinnitus and ear fullness so I'm essentially un-medicated. I've tried all of them and they all cause increased Meniere's symptoms. To sleep I use a small fan and noise machine to cut out the noise in my head. I hope this helps others.

Comment from: Charntel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I was finally diagnosed by an ENT after an MRI, with Meniere's disease. My right ear is 80 percent deaf and am on medication called 'Serc' for the vertigo. It hits me any time of the day or night and I find that if I am stressed I feel terrible. At the moment my right ear has the 'full' feeling and it feels like I have water in the ear all the time. If the condition worsens my ENT has advised that they do operate in extreme cases where they use the left ear nerve ending to trick the right ear. I honestly am not coping with this disease and I am afraid to drive but have no option. I do drink water tablets to help with the water retention but then get cramps. I have stopped the salt as this does make it worse, I hope somewhere somehow somebody finds a cure.

Comment from: Kimberley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I was diagnosed 8 years ago with vestibular migraines that cause vertigo. In November I started losing my hearing in my left ear. An MRI showed nothing, I'm now on Maxide and a low salt diet. I never had a problem with salt and I drink lots of water, we are trying to see if the hearing improves after 90 days on this medication, which by the way is vile and makes me sick. If it is Meniere's disease they misdiagnosed me 8 years ago. I have well water and I believe that is a contributing factor to the salt in the water since I drink a lot of it. I'm not sure how much water I should be drinking now, I have switched to distilled water while on this medicine. Honestly I would rather have hearing loss than deal with the side effects of Maxide. I'm only going to take it for 90 days. They put me on propanol years ago for the vestibular migraines and I have had a few break through episodes. I had one last night while only being on the Maxide for 4 days. If it continues to make me sick like this I'm stopping it for good.

Comment from: puff, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I believed I finally cured my vertigo caused by Meniere's disease, though tinnitus is still with me. It started several years ago. First mild, then severe. I tried lots of medicines but not work. I don't like surgery. So I kept trying to control it in other ways. And I finally made it. Now all my life is back to normal.

Comment from: Libra, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have been suffering from Meniere's disease for about five years. My attacks have ranged from mild to severe. Recently I had two attacks nine days apart which were severe; extreme vertigo and vomiting. I wish I knew what triggered the disease, something I ate or supplements that I was taking. When I have an attack, if there's time, which unfortunately hasn't happened that often, I swallow one ondansetron ODT 4 MG tablet for the nausea, and 25 MG of meclizine. I never know when I'm going to have an attack and it puts me on edge at times. I can't believe how quickly the dizziness and nausea sets in. I have to lay down with my eyes closed until after the attack subsides. I don't know of anyone in my family who ever suffered from this disease. I wish there was a magic cure.

Comment from: Shirley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have had Meniere's disease for about 12 years now. The initial attack lasted a long time, then I didn't have any attacks for several years, but they have started up again in the last 4 years. I am in the midst of my third attack in 8 months. My ears are full and I am nauseous and slightly dizzy. I only have slight hearing loss and my right ear is the more affected, I feel I want to keep poking it. My doctors prescribed regime is Stemetil and Betaserc. I was interested to read that salt and caffeine are bad and also aspartame and MSG. I try to remain positive but the attacks are so unexpected and make me fearful.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had Meniere's disease for several years and suffered from terrible vertigo that was impacting my ability to work. My doctor suggested middle ear injections of gentamicin, an antibiotic that's toxic to your inner ear, reduces the balancing function of your ear, and your other ear assumes responsibility for balance. It made me a little more wobbly, but two treatments has pretty much eliminated my vertigo attacks. I still have the hearing loss and tinnitus, but that you can live with as long as you can eliminate the vertigo attacks.

Comment from: J. White, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 21

Meniere's disease hit me when I was around 65 years old. The vertigo/nausea attacks grew more violent and more frequent, sometimes two a month, confining me indoors, too frightened to drive or go out alone. Euthanasia came to mind. Then a doctor in Spain prescribed three pills a day of Serc, 8 mg (betahistina), and three of Idaptan, 20 mg (trimetazidina). That was 16 years ago, I take the pills regularly, and haven't had an attack since. Although these drugs are an accepted cure for Meniere's throughout Europe, AMA refuses to approve them so you have to buy them overseas. Good luck.

Comment from: menieres cure, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It took almost a year for my ENT to diagnose me with secondary Endolymphatic Hydrops. I also went to other specialists over the years and they pretty much say the same thing, no cure, just deal with it. I was on a diuretic for a year, and I just keep moving trying not to give in to this disease. I suggest everyone try ginger for the nausea, Reeds or Gin Gin's is a good brand. . I have just started treatment at the Neurosensory Center in Austin, Texas and I think there is one in the Dallas, Fort Worth area also. They claim they can cure Meniere's. I am giving them a try, it is much better than being sent home with no hope.

Comment from: Mumzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

Vertigo attacks started for me about 30 years ago, and I had no idea what caused them until about five years ago when I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease. By that time, the tinnitus and hearing loss were significant, and I was fitted with hearing aids. Although I still have extremely loud tinnitus, wearing the hearing aids helps considerably. I was also advised by my ENT doctor to avoid caffeine, chocolate, salt, and alcohol. Adhering to this has helped as well. I have poor balance, so I wear only flat shoes for safety's sake, and I find going down stairs particularly challenging. But I have not had a major vertigo attack in over a year. Recently my hearing took a noticeable drop, and my audiologist has suggested another hearing test. I don't know how far the hearing loss can go before I can no longer be helped with hearing aids, but we'll keep working at it. I am thankful to be otherwise healthy, and like others who have posted here, I believe a positive attitude helps.

Comment from: fatheroz, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

Stop eating salt, stop smoking, and de-caffeinate yourself. Sodium, nicotine, and caffeine are the culprits. I've had Meniere's for 10 years. I'd have a 3-minute-long vertigo attack every 30 minutes, for days at a time. Quitting salt does it for me. If I cheat and add some to my popcorn, nothing happens. But if I 'cheat' too much, for too long, I'll get those mild twinges of the onset of the vertigo stuff. I immediately swear off salt, again, this time forever, and begin guzzling as much water as humanly possible. Getting de-caffeinated, while good for the Meniere's, will also do wonders for your digestion. And your indigestion. And your sleep. And if you smoke, never mind.

Comment from: cassienew, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was diagnosed about a month ago with Meniere's disease not knowing why I was having these vertigo attacks and nausea. I"ve been on two different diuretics Valium and meclizine and nothing is stopping the attacks. I"ve lost my last 2 jobs due to the attacks. My life is so limited... I"m scared to go anywhere, do anything, eat anything! My quality of life is so low right now and the attacks are so bad I"d almost rather be dead than to keep living like this. This is not living... it"s barely existing

Comment from: Janice, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have had Meniere's disease for more than 3 years and it has gotten worse. There is no medicine. They say it has no cure. I am dizzy and vomiting has been the worst. Can't plan anything as I never know when it will hit me. I just hope for a cure daily. Loss of hearing in the right ear. The sound in the ear never leaves me day or night.

Comment from: chels, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I've had very bad vertigo for as long as I can remember, getting the ringing in my ears before/after dropping...I had been to neurologists, multiple other doctors and have now after serious bouts of nausea been diagnosed with Meniere's. Which is crazy because I have been worried about my hearing because I feel like I have been losing it and I am in the middle of the testing. I am only 20 years old this is crazy I feel to be so young. Yet already losing my hearing. It's difficult because already my relationships are suffering. A lot of my family looks away as they speak and have deep voices which can be very hard.

Comment from: snikliwharobed, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have suffered with allergies for 20 years and started taking allergy shots 1 year ago. February 1st I awoke with a feeling of fullness, ringing and roaring in my right ear. I went to my Family Doctor thinking it was ear wax buildup. He immediately referred me to my ENT. He has done everything possible. Cortizone shot in my eardrum, MRI, and numerous hearing tests. There is one last test that I cannot seem to find information about. I have to drink Glycerin and Saline water on an empty stomach. My doctor tells me that it tastes horrible and will give me a severe headache. I've been scheduled for the test twice and each time my hearing has been normal (on its own-no treatment) The doctor canceled saying that this treatment is to bring up my hearing, so there's no reason to give it to me if my hearing is normal. Of course, each time they cancel, the next day my hearing is gone again. I've had 1 severe attach of Vertigo, was rushed to the emergency room, and had a CT Scan. My hearing has deteriorated significantly over the past week. Next week I plan to try this last procedure. This problem is not life threatening but it is extremely nerve racking as everyone else has mentioned. I was very depressed at first, but am trying to deal with it in a positive fashion.

Comment from: dano, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had Meniere's for over 10 years. I take Valium daily. I only have a few attacks a year, but am slowly losing my hearing in my left ear – it's probably about 80 percent gone. I want to know if a surgery can be done to help restore hearing.

Comment from: cakee39, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I was given meclizine for my Meniere's disease, which causes me to have bad headaches while sleeping.

Comment from: Meredith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I was just diagnosed with Meniere's disease this year. Luckily, I do not have day-to-day symptoms. I have had three small attacks that included; severe dizziness, vomiting, etc. Once the attacks were over I was back to normal for months at a time. I have started to drink more water, yoga, low sodium (zero if possible) and vitamins, 2000-C, E-400 and a multi. So far no symptoms.

Comment from: flanagan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I have had Meniere's disease for about three years. It is progressively getting worse. The ringing in my right ear is atrocious at best. I have had three or four occasions where I have passed out and had to call the ambulance, vomiting and thought I was going to die for sure. I am losing my hearing; so far the right ear has lost approx 30% and I need to try to stop the loss as best as I can but it is challenging.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter