Patient Comments: Melasma - Prognosis

Describe your experience with melasma. Did it fade or go away? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: TeddyG , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Yes, my melasma finally faded away after dermabrasion, pumpkin peel head to toe 25 percent bleaching creams, Tri-luma, or hydroquinone 2 percent and retinol. The TCA is the only thing that really took it all away. He had me come back the next few days to try it again going deeper and deeper, because it didn't take it completely off. It finally came off. If I go in the sun at all without covering my face it starts to come back.

Comment from: Giving up, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Melasma did not fade or go away, I tried Obagi, Fraxel, dermabrasion, and tretinoin. I use best sun block, stay out of the sun, and majority of the time when outside I wear large wide brim hat. Being inside and out of the sun for long periods of time caused my vitamin D level to drop very low causing body pain. I have melasma going on 10 years. It started when I became peri-menopausal, now I am post-menopausal, there is melasma still on face and some on neck.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I'm 45 years and suddenly this dark spots of melasma appeared, next to my jaw bone, where my ear ends. I did not even have dark spots when I was pregnant.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Pregnancy & Newborns Newsletter