Patient Comments: Melasma - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you receive for your melasma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Incognito, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I tried Obagi products, dermabrasion, Fraxel, blue peel, tretinoin, and hydroquinone, nothing worked for my melasma. Fraxel made it worse, blue peel worked for about 2 weeks after peel. Obagi products worked longer than the rest.

Comment from: Cal cat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I"ve tried the blend of Retin A, kojic acid and hydroquinone for my melasma but won"t use when it"s summer. I use the M2 (mandelic acid) line- the serum with the cream. It worked great for my upper lip. Stay away from all lasers - that"s what caused my melasma to show up. Laura Mercier Silk Foundation, and Dior Forever cover well. I"m also using IT cosmetics BB cream with SPF 50 under foundation, and then Urban Decay setting spray.

Comment from: Colorado, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I got melasma on my upper lip in 2009. I was told IPL (intense pulsed light) treatments would remove it. The IPL treatments made it worse. I was then told that Fraxel laser would remove it but the doctor would not do only my upper lip, he said I had to do my whole face. Now I look even worse and have a red and brown face with a definite line along my jaw so I look like I am wearing a mask. I have olive skin and am Caucasian. I am so upset that I took advice from a doctor without doing a small spot to see what would happen to my skin. Now I wear makeup to cover this mess. Heartbreaking that my face is such a disaster now.

Comment from: Usman (usmi09), 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I have Melasma type on my face about eyes to the ears on the both side since June 2010 until now. I have been treating it since than. But no avail. I used HQ and other types of cream too. I use to eat fruits like oranges apples and banana too. But they do not work. I feel sad and even my other friends tell me you are always pregnant and make a fun of me.

View Stages of Pregnancy Slideshow Pictures