Patient Comments: Melasma - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you receive for your melasma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: TeddyG, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had melasma on and off for 20 years. I have olive skin, and I'm Caucasian. First it showed up when I was 22 from birth control pills. When I was pregnant it was really bad. Then I went on a trip and was in the sun a lot. My face looked like I had a chocolate cake and got it all over my face. It was awful! My friend's cousin is a plastic surgeon and he did a TCA 25 percent. It still didn't take it completely off, so he did it again. And then I put hydroquinone 2 percent on my melasma for a few months and it finally was gone! It was amazing! I still have gotten it back with every pregnancy and from the sun, but I have done the TCA again and the creams and it has seemed to fade it pretty good. I had the plastic surgeon do probably a total of 5 TCA peel 25 percent, throughout 6 years. I did Tri-luma cream, hydroquinone 2 percent cream after each peels for a couple of year. I also use a pumpkin peel 25 percent about once a week. I also have done dermabrasion with the bleaching cream. It all definitely seems to help a lot!

Comment from: Incognito, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I tried Obagi products, dermabrasion, Fraxel, blue peel, tretinoin, and hydroquinone, nothing worked for my melasma. Fraxel made it worse, blue peel worked for about 2 weeks after peel. Obagi products worked longer than the rest.

Comment from: Cal cat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I"ve tried the blend of Retin A, kojic acid and hydroquinone for my melasma but won"t use when it"s summer. I use the M2 (mandelic acid) line- the serum with the cream. It worked great for my upper lip. Stay away from all lasers - that"s what caused my melasma to show up. Laura Mercier Silk Foundation, and Dior Forever cover well. I"m also using IT cosmetics BB cream with SPF 50 under foundation, and then Urban Decay setting spray.

Comment from: Colorado, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I got melasma on my upper lip in 2009. I was told IPL (intense pulsed light) treatments would remove it. The IPL treatments made it worse. I was then told that Fraxel laser would remove it but the doctor would not do only my upper lip, he said I had to do my whole face. Now I look even worse and have a red and brown face with a definite line along my jaw so I look like I am wearing a mask. I have olive skin and am Caucasian. I am so upset that I took advice from a doctor without doing a small spot to see what would happen to my skin. Now I wear makeup to cover this mess. Heartbreaking that my face is such a disaster now.

Comment from: Nettyd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I've read a lot of these comments on melasma, and I am not encouraged at all. My cheeks have this problem. And I have lightened them slightly with all sorts of products; microdermabrasion treatments and creams, but the dermatologist here told me I was not a good candidate for any other treatment, because I have honey color skin. The only treatment I was offered was a chemical peel, and it is done over a series of low to high acid and it is expensive. It is not a Groupon thing when it comes to your face! I guess I'll seek out schools of dermatology for some cost relief; unless someone can offer up something better.

Comment from: Waloo, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

I used a formula of hydroquinone, kojic acid, glycolic acid, vitamin E, ascorbic acid and licorice extract for melasma.

Comment from: Usman (usmi09), 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I have Melasma type on my face about eyes to the ears on the both side since June 2010 until now. I have been treating it since than. But no avail. I used HQ and other types of cream too. I use to eat fruits like oranges apples and banana too. But they do not work. I feel sad and even my other friends tell me you are always pregnant and make a fun of me.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Pregnancy & Newborns Newsletter