Patient Comments: Melasma - Location on Body

Please describe where on your body you experienced melasma. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 13

I have been experiencing melasma on my face for several years now. I tried applying so many astringent, whitening cream just to treat my melasma but nothing happened, and it seems it have become worse.

Comment from: TeddyG , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I first got melasma on my check below my eyes. Then after pregnancy I got it really dark on my upper lip and cheek. I finally got it faded, and I have been in the sun too much that I'm starting to see it all over my middle cheek.

Comment from: Incognito, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am 62 now, melasma came on my face when I started peri menopause at age of 49. Now I am at post menopause, I still have a few hot flashes and still have melasma on my face.

Comment from: Candy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I am white with hint of Asian blood. I noticed my melasma when I was 36 years old after my vacation trip in Thailand. I tried to use all kinds of bleaching cream and it got a little bit better but still darker in summer time, even if I used very good sunblock. It is on my upper cheeks around the sunglasses area and lately I got more freckles. I'm 47 now, I am so tired of it all these years, and all recipes of homemade masks and any cream treatment is not working. It has got lighter, but still very ugly and any makeup makes it even more visible. I am thinking of laser therapy or chemical pill.

Comment from: MommyX5, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was recently diagnosed with melasma. It is prevalent on my upper lip, jaw, temple areas, neck and arms. I am African American with Native Indian and Jewish heritage. Additionally, I have a copper IUD implanted.

Comment from: Riya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have melasma on cheek bones area.

Comment from: strikenh1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am Hispanic and Native American. I was struck by lightning 9 years ago and the doctor put me on Topamax and Cymbalta for pain. I am also on Synthroid since I became hypothyroid after my first child was born. I never had melasma before the lightning strike; however, after the accident I developed nerve damage to my left arm and hand as well as sensitivity to extreme heat and cold. I have melasma on my cheeks, lips, and under my eyes. It looks like a mask. It is more pronounced in the summer.

Comment from: Suz, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I have melasma on cheek, jaw lines and lower neck. I tried Garnier Clinical Skin Renew dark spot corrector with no results!

Comment from: Shell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

Check for copper toxicity! I developed my melasma while I was developing the copper toxicity I didn't know I had. I was on birth control for years, was a vegetarian and vegan for most of my life- no offense, wish I still could be, and had a copper IUD- not by choice. My Dr at the time insisted on it even though I was asking for tubal ligation. Thanks a lot buddy! I tried literally everything, every cream and lotion, dermatologists, endocrinologists, nothing's wrong according to them. It's a manifestation of an inner issue whether it's caused by pregnancy or copper, or some other reason. Creams and such may help somewhat, but they are NOT the solution. I have been seeing a naturopath for IV therapy, liver flushes specifically. Not only do I feel 100 million times better, but my melasma is MUCH lighter and breaking up and fading a lot. Just moved away from the desert, I'm sure that will certainly(!) contribute as well. Took me years to find out it was copper toxicity, hope this helps someone else look into this sooner if nothing else is working.

Comment from: cujosgrl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

i also was on Topamax for a few months last yr , and i am suppose to take synthroid for hypothyroid condition that was diagnosed last year. I have not taken my synthroid for about a month now and have noticed that i have Melasma on my cheeks and forehead. Im 37 years old and I do not expose my skin to the sun. this is however the first time I have had this condition. I just find it Ironic how strikenhg was also on same meds ... maybe they might be linked ??

Comment from: deepika, 25-34 (Patient) Published: May 21

I have melasma symptoms on my face ever since last year.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Pregnancy & Newborns Newsletter