Patient Comments: Melasma - Causes

At what stage in your life did melasma occur, and what was the cause (if known)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mela, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I was 24 when I first noticed that I had discoloring on my cheek bones, this was after I used contraceptive pills. I'm 48 with the same problem of melasma still.

Comment from: Keri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was 20 years old when I first noticed I was getting melasma on my upper lip after using Primolut for delaying my period because I didn't want to be bleeding during my vacation. That combined with my excessive sun exposure that summer was the beginning of my problem. I am 35 now and my melasma is expanding on my cheeks and forehead each summer.

Comment from: Ann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

My melasma started when I was at the age of 16. I was using Maxi Peel back then for a month. Maybe because due to over sun exposure this melasma appeared. And now I am still looking for an effective solution to treat my melasma.

Comment from: TeddyG , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I started the birth control pill at 19 because of awful periods. I started getting melasma on my cheeks. I also was in the sun a lot and was always tanned. I have olive skin too. Then when I stopped the pill, the dark spots got lighter. When I got pregnant I started getting dark spots on my upper lip and checks. It got a lot worse after pregnancy. If I was in the sun at all they would get darker and spread. I finally was able to lighten them to where I don't see it any more. I'm 43 now and I'm starting to get melasma all over my cheeks again.

Comment from: Chanel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I'm 23 years old and I got melasma when I was pregnant at 18. First I thought it was going to go away after the pregnancy, so I ignored it. Seeing it now, it actually looks worse than before because it has spread up to my back. Other than stretch marks from pregnancy, this is my main concern on my body. All the creams are too expensive for me to get. So I'm looking for alternative ways to get rid of it, i.e., eating fruits rich in vitamin E and taking dietary supplements. I have yet to see if eating fruits rich in Vitamin E will actually help get rid of these dark/light spots on my back and glutes.

Comment from: Ri, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I noticed light patches on my upper cheek and forehead while I was on holiday this year (July 2014). I visited a skin specialist who prescribed me Depiwhite cream, and within a week the marks were off my skin. This cream definitely works but has its side effects too. Though I maintain my skin, the melasma patches return back as soon as I stop the Depiwhite application.

Comment from: Lisa Torres, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have melasma. Mine started when I started peri-menopause. So mine is due to hormonal changes. My dermatologist prescribed a cream for me called Tri-Luma. About 5 days later, there was a noticeable difference and the brown spots looked so much lighter. Of course I use a really good sunscreen called La Roche-Posay. Most insurances don"t cover the cost of the Tri-Luma because it is for cosmetic purposes. The cost with tax is around $120.00 but well worth it. You only use very little.

Comment from: Lady Mai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm 35 years old. I did not have melasma during pregnancy but I started developing it afterwards when I went off my Synthroid for my hypothyroidism. It's bad now. I tried Obagi but it didn't make a difference plus I hate the smell of hydroquinone. I started using Lumnaskin for about 4 weeks now. My skin is lighter and firmer and melasma is lighter. My dermatologist asked what I did. I think maybe the Synthroid might have something to do with it.

Comment from: clooneyfan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I'm 53 and I've had melasma for a few years now. It's over my upper lip, and it makes me look like I have a moustache. It fades over the winter and then reappears each summer when I go out in the sun. I've gone to the dermatologist for some fading creams, but they don't help much. I'm menopausal, but I don't take HRT. I still have hot flashes, so my hormones must still be active.

Comment from: simocrowe, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I was 36 when melasma appeared. My mother is fair skinned and has many freckles. My father is a very mixed Trinidadian.

Comment from: joanne argyle pines, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I know what caused mine--it was the hyroquinone that my doc prescribed for tiny little scars and I stupidly used more than necessary. That chemical went down deep into my layers of skin. Hyroqinone is banned in Europe--I should have done my research before using this product.

Comment from: Confusedyoung, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am 12 years old and I got melasma when I was 11. Everyone said it was a mustache; even my parents. I can't afford any treatment. I don't know the cause – probably the sun, because I'm not on birth control or pregnant.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Pregnancy & Newborns Newsletter