- What other names is Melanotan-ii known by?
- What is Melanotan-ii?
- How does Melanotan-ii work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Dosing considerations for Melanotan-ii.
Melanotan-II is given as a shot to produce erections in men with ED (erectile dysfunction), tan the skin, and prevent skin cancers caused by sun exposure.
Possibly Effective for...
- Producing erections in men with ED (erectile dysfunction), when given as a shot under the skin.
- Tanning of the skin, when given as a shot under the skin.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Preventing skin cancers due to sun exposure, when given as a shot under the skin.
- Other conditions.
Quick GuideErectile Dysfunction (ED) Causes and Treatment
ED (erectile dysfunction). It may cause nausea, stomach cramps, decreased appetite, flushing, tiredness, yawning, darkened skin, spontaneous erections of the penis, and other side effects.
There isn't enough information to know whether melanotan-II is safe for other uses.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of melanotan-II during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
BY INJECTION UNDER THE SKIN:
- For causing an erection in men with ED: the typical dosage of melanotan-II is 0.025 mg/kg.
- For tanning skin: the typical dosage of melanotan-II is 0.025 mg/kg.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.