Benefits of the Mediterranean diet include improved brain function and increased life span. The foods in the Mediterranean diet have been purported to protect against inflammation, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, cancer, arthritis, depression, insulin resistance, obesity, and aging. The foods also have antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anticancer properties. Read more: Mediterranean Diet Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Food Swaps for Meals and Snacks for Heart Health in Pictures
Explore 10 food swaps for heart-wise dining. Learn what food to buy and how to cook in order to make a big difference for your...
12 Reasons to Love the Mediterranean Diet in Pictures
The Mediterranean diet is a delicious way to eat healthy. We show you how to get the most from this diet with foods like olive...
Vegetarian Diet: Tasty, Basic Choices in Pictures
Thinking about becoming a vegetarian? Compared to the general population, the typical vegetarian has a lower body mass index...
Related Disease Conditions
15 Foods That Cause Constipation
Constipation or the decrease in frequency and/or difficulty in passing stools (bowel movements) can be caused by a variety...
Top 12 Foods for Constipation Relief
Constipation is a common problem, and almost everyone has been constipated at one time or another. There are foods that can help...
Gestational diabetes is a condition that is first recognized during pregnancy and is characterized by high blood sugar....
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Snoring (Causes, Aids, Remedies, Solutions)
Snoring, like all other sounds, is caused by vibrations that cause particles in the air to form sound waves. While we are asleep,...
Diabetes Diet (Type 2)
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
How to Lower Triglycerides Naturally
Trigylcerides are fatty molecules that travel in the bloodstream. Excess sugar and fat can increase triglyceride levels....
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Differences, Normal Ranges, Meanings)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is an inherited (genetic) disease that attacks motor neurons (nerve cells) in the spinal cord. As...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Amaryl (glimepiride)
- glucose (Insta-Glucose, Dex4, Enfamil Glucose, Glutol, Glutose and many others)
- fenofibrate (Antara, Fenoglide, Fibricor, Lipofen, Lofibra, Tricor, Triglide, Trilipix)
- orlistat (Xenical, alli)
- deoxycholic acid (Kybella)
- Repatha (evolocumab)
- Saxenda (liraglutide injection)
- alirocumab (Praluent)
- tolazamide (Tolinase brand has been discontinued.)
Prevention & Wellness
- Restaurant Rules for Weight Loss
- Rich, Well-Educated Get Bigger Bang for Buck From Mediterranean Diet
- A Healthy Diet May Help Ward Off Dementia
- Better Diet, Longer Life?
- Breast-Feeding Tied to Lower Heart, Stroke Risk for Mom
- Health Tip: Eat More Mediterranean Foods
- Common Food Nutrient Tied to Risky Blood Clotting
- Get to Know the Mediterranean Diet
- Mediterranean Diet May Ease Chronic Pain of Obesity
- Mediterranean Diet Plus Olive Oil a Boost to Heart Health?
- Could the 'Mediterranean' Diet Help Prevent ADHD?
- Special Diet May Be Boon for Kids With Crohn's, Colitis
- Plant-Based Diets Score Big for Healthy Weight Loss
- More Signs Mediterranean Diet May Boost Your Brain
- U.S. News & World Report Again Ranks the DASH Diet as the Best Overall Diet
- Mediterranean Diet, Caffeine May Be Good for Your Eyes
- Digestive Byproduct Tied to Meat Raises Risks for Some Heart Patients
- Can Pregnancy Problems Foretell Future Health Risks?
- Stress Might Undercut Benefits of Healthy Diet for Women
- Mediterranean Diet Shows Its Protective Powers in Heart Patients
- Fatty Fish May Curb Eye Risks for Diabetics, Study Finds
- 'Business Diet' a Bad Deal for the Heart
- Healthy Diet, Exercise May Help Keep Alzheimer's at Bay
- Sugary, High-Fat Western Diet Tied to Denser Breast Tissue
- Even High-Fat Mediterranean Diet Good for You: Review
- Now Pasta Is Good for Your Diet?
- Healthy Fats in Mediterranean Diet Won't Boost Weight
- Focus on Healthy Foods, Not Avoiding 'Bad' Ones, for Heart Health: Study
- 'Paleo' Diet May Help Older Women's Hearts, Waistlines
- Mediterranean Diet May Help Lower Hip Fracture Risk in Older Women
- Seafood Might Protect Brain in People at Genetic Risk for Alzheimer's
- DASH Diet Ranks Best for Sixth Time
- Mediterranean Diet May Keep Your Mind Healthier in Old Age
- More Evidence High-Fiber, Mediterranean Diet Is Good for You
- Mediterranean Diet With Olive Oil Might Cut Breast Cancer Risk: Study
- Fat No Longer the Focus of New U.S. Dietary Guidelines
- Vegan Diet Might Ease Diabetic Nerve Pain
- Mediterranean Diet Tied to Lower Odds of Uterine Cancer
- Your Plate May Hold the Key to Alzheimer's
- Mediterranean Diet Plus Olive Oil or Nuts May Boost Thinking and Memory
- Healthy Eating May Shield the Aging Brain
- Could a Diet Help Shield You From Alzheimer's?
- Veggie-Rich Diets May Mean Lower Heart Risks
- Another Study Finds Mediterranean Diet May Cut Heart Risks
- Mediterranean Diet May Lower Stroke Risk, Study Finds
- Proposed Dietary Guidelines Not a Green Light to Eat What You Want
- Is the Advice on Fat in Your Diet Wrong?
- DASH Diet Is Tops Again, Fifth Year in a Row
- 'Low-GI' Diet May Not Benefit Blood Sugar
- Could a 'Mediterranean' Diet Extend Your Life?
- Dieters May Be Thwarted by Absence of Healthy Foods
- Another Study Links Mediterranean Diet to Better Heart Health
- Take Heart: Mediterranean Diet Combats Type 2 Diabetes, Study Says
- Mediterranean Diet May Keep Kids Slimmer
- Diet Tied to Better Breathing in COPD Patients
- Mouse Study Hints at How Mediterranean Diet Protects the Heart
- High-Fiber Diet May Aid Heart Attack Survivors
- Take Heart: Mediterranean Diet Combats Diabetes, Study Says
- Another Win for the Mediterranean-Style Diet
- Mediterranean Diet May Lower Risk of Clogged Leg Arteries
- Mediterranean Diet Alone May Lower Diabetes Risk
- DASH Diet Ranked Best Overall -- Once Again
- Estrogen After Menopause May Blunt Stress' Effects on Memory
- Mediterranean Diet May Help Women Live Longer, Healthier Lives
- Mediterranean Diet May Be Good for the Brain
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter