Medical marijuana (medical cannabis) is a medicine that is plant based. There are two species of medical marijuana; 1) Cannabis sativa, and 2) Cannabis indica. Medical marijuana is used to treat pain, nausea, anxiety, MS, insomnia, seizures, and muscle spasms. Medical cannabis is legal in a variety of states in the US. A card or licence is required to purchase medical marijuana in states where it is legal; however, medical cannabis is against Federal law. Medical marijuana comes in a variety of products, for example, gummy bears and other candy, muffins, cookies, drinks, salves, ointments, creams, oils, and wax.Read more: Medical Marijuana (Medical Cannabis) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
Understanding Medical Marijuana: Laws, Uses, Safety
What is medical marijuana (MMJ)? Learn about THC, CBD, and other cannabinoids, learn about marijuana scheduling, state laws for...
Related Disease Conditions
Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by markedly reduced appetite or total aversion to food. Anorexia is a serious...
Glaucoma is a common eye condition in which the fluid pressure inside the eye rises because of slowed fluid drainage from the...
Huntington's disease is the result of degeneration of neurons in areas of the brain. Huntington's disease is an inherited...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy
Multiple sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disorder in which brain and spinal cord nerve cells become demyelinated. This damage...
Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep....
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome is a disorder that causes symptoms like pain, clicking, and popping of the jaw. TMJ is...
Insomnia Treatment (Sleep Aids and Stimulants)
Insomnia is difficulty in falling or staying asleep, the absence of restful sleep, or poor quality of sleep. Insomnia is a...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Pain Management: Musculoskeletal Pain
Natural menopause is the permanent ending of menstruation that is not brought on by any type of medical treatment. For women...
Neuropathic pain is a chronic condition that leads to ongoing pain symptoms. Patients can be predisposed to developing...
Parkinson's Disease Clinical Trials
Before participating in a clinical trial for Parkinson's disease consider the risks and the benefits. You should know about who...
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Seizures Symptoms and Types
Seizures are divided into two categories: generalized and partial. Generalized seizures are produced by electrical impulses from...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Autism Spectrum Disorder (In Children and Adults)
Autism in children and adults is a developmental disorder, characterized by impaired development in communication, social...
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
Muscle spasms are involuntary muscle contractions that come on suddenly and are usually quite painful. Dehydration, doing...
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) FAQs
Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are developmental disorders that do not appear to be linked to vaccines. More people than ever...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Teens
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in teens is a disruption of neurocognitive functioning. Genetics contribute to...
Pain Management: Neuropathic Pain
Neuropathic pain is chronic pain resulting from injury to the nervous system. The injury can be to the central nervous system...
7 Alzheimer's Disease Stages and Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's disease depend on the stage of the disease. Some doctors and researchers disagree in regard...
Multiple Sclerosis Early Symptoms and Signs (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Hip-Hop Loaded With Pot, Cigarette References
- Medical Marijuana Might Help MS Patients, But Uncertainty Remains
- DEA Reschedules CBD Drug for Epilepsy
- More Aging Boomers Are Embracing Pot
- Are More U.S. Women Using Pot to Ease Morning Sickness?
- Majority in U.S. Support Medical Pot, Think It Could Fight Opioid Crisis
- Vaping Medical Pot May Not Ease COPD Symptoms: Study
- Decriminalizing Pot Doesn't Hike Teen Use, Study Finds
- Could Pot-Linked Drug Help Ease Agitation in Alzheimer's?
- Medical Marijuana a Hit With Seniors
- FDA OKs First Drug Containing Marijuana-Derived Ingredient
- Pot Still a Drug of Choice for Many U.S. Adults
- Fake CBD Oil Sickens 52 People in Utah
- Vendors Say Pot Eases Morning Sickness. Will Baby Pay a Price?
- Low Dose of CBD Liquid Eases Epilepsy Seizures: Study
- Medical Marijuana Ads May Spur Teen Pot Use
- Cancer Docs: We Need More Research on Medical Marijuana
- CBD Oil: All the Rage, But Is It Really Safe and Effective?
- Medical Marijuana May Not Help Your Sleep Apnea: Experts
- Former U.S. House Speaker Boehner Now Backs Marijuana Legalization, Joins Cannabis Company Board
- Mom's Marijuana Winds Up in Breast Milk
- Could Medical Pot Help Curb the Opioid Abuse Crisis?
- Older Americans Support Medical Marijuana: Poll
- Marijuana Doesn't Seem to Harm the Kidneys
- New Research Debunks Two Medical Marijuana Myths
- Booze Beats Pot at Being Unhealthy: Oregon Poll
- Driving May Be Risky Business on 4/20 Pot Holiday
- Will Smoking Pot Harm Your Heart? Experts Weigh In
- Health Care Workers Mixed on Using Medical Marijuana in Kids
- Pot May Alter Brain Function of Some With HIV
- It's 'Buyer Beware' When Purchasing Medical Pot Extract Online
- Cancer Treatment Claims for Marijuana-Derived Products
- Medical Marijuana Won't Help Most Sick Kids
- Where It's Legal, One-Quarter of Cancer Patients Use Medical Pot
- 9 of 10 Docs Unprepared to Prescribe Marijuana
- Marijuana May Help Ease Nerve Pain, Review Finds
- Is Pot Linked to Blood Pressure Deaths?
- Congress Should Remove Protections for Medical Marijuana, Sessions Says
- Marijuana May Make Your Gums Go to Pot
- Compound in Pot Eases Severe Form of Epilepsy
- Pot a Factor in More ER Admissions for Colorado Teens After Legalization
- Higher Illicit Pot Use in States That OK Medical Marijuana: Study
- Parents' Pot Use a Tricky Topic When It Comes to Their Kids
- Vomiting Syndrome on the Rise in Heavy Pot Smokers
- Germs, Mold Found in Some Medical Pot
- U.S. Report Cites the Good and Bad on Marijuana
- Vomiting Disorder on Rise in Weed-Friendly Colorado
- Does Legalizing Pot Spur Kids to Try It?
- Where Medical Pot Is Legal, Fatal Car Crashes Often Decline
- Pot Use in Pregnancy on the Upswing, Study Finds
- Could Regular Pot Smoking Harm Vision?
- Marijuana Derivative May Curb Tough-to-Treat Epilepsy
- In This Election, Voters United Behind Pot Legalization
- Pueblo, Colorado, May Push Back on Legal Pot
- Medical Marijuana Not a Lure for Kids: Study
- Do States With Medical Marijuana Have Less Opioid Abuse?
- More U.S. Adults Using Marijuana Than Ever
- Medical Marijuana's Pain Relief May Work Better for Men
- U.S. DEA Denies Request to Ease Federal Pot Rules
- New Guidelines Issued for Cancer Patients' Post-Treatment Pain
- Teasing Out Where the Tokers Live
- Does Medical Marijuana Reduce Need for Other Meds?
- What a Change in DEA's Pot Rules Might Mean for Medical Research
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter