Mastitis is an inflammation of the breast tissue, most often caused by an infection. Mastitis is most common in lactating women. Symptoms include a hard, firm area in the breast that is usually painful. Other symptoms include
- warmth or redness of the overlying skin,
- pain in the nipple area, and
Pain while breastfeeding, fever, chills, and generally feeling unwell (malaise or fatigue) can be other symptoms of mastitis. Sometimes, blood or pus can be seen in breast milk when mastitis is present.
Causes of mastitis
Mastitis is usually the result of a bacterial infection. The bacteria typically enter the breast tissue through a cracked nipple that had developed during breastfeeding. Whether skipping breastfeeding or pumping, allowing milk to become trapped in the breast (engorgement) can increase the risk of mastitis.
Other mastitis symptoms and signs
- Blood in Breast Milk
- Breast Hardness
- Breast Mass
- Breast Pain
- Breast Swelling
- Breast Tenderness
- Burning Sensation While Breastfeeding
- Cracked Nipple
- Nipple Pain
- Pain While Breastfeeding
- Pus in Breast Milk
- Skin Redness
- Skin Warmth
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Human Body Quiz: Human Body Systems & Organs
The Human Body Quiz will help you learn about your little-known body parts! Take this quiz to learn more about your body and what...
MRSA Quiz: Infection Symptoms & Treatment
It's the MRSA Quiz! For the carriers among us, you'd be surprised that the infectious superbug is lurking on this body part! Take...
Picture of Breast Anatomy
The breast refers to the front of the chest or, more specifically, to the mammary gland. See a picture of Breast Anatomy and...
What Is a Staph Infection? Causes, Symptoms, Treatments
Do you know what a staph infection is? What about golden staph? Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatments of staph...
Examples of Medications for Mastitis Symptoms and Signs
- Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid, Augmentin XR, Augmentin ES-600, Amoclan
- clindamycin - injection, Cleocin
- clindamycin, oral (Cleocin)
- Keflex (cephalexin)
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Antibiotic
- Levaquin (levofloxacin) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim (Bactrim)
- topical clindamycin (Cleocin T, Clindagel)
- vancomycin - injection, Vancocin
- vancomycin, Vancocin
- vancomycin-oral solution, Vancocin
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter
Miller, Andrew C. "Mastitis Empiric Therapy." Medscape.com. Apr. 10, 2017. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2028354-overview>.