Mammogram is a test that produces an image of the breast tissue on film. The technique is referred to as mammography. Mammography can visualize normal and abnormal structures within the breast such as cysts, calcifications, and tumors looking for breast cancer. The first baseline mammogram for a woman should be between the ages of 35 to 40. Read more: Mammogram Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Breast Cancer Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
This Breast Cancer Quiz features signs, symptoms, facts, causes, common forms, terms, risk factors, statistics, and more. ...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Picture of Breast Anatomy
The breast refers to the front of the chest or, more specifically, to the mammary gland. See a picture of Breast Anatomy and...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
Learn about breast cancer causes, symptoms, tests, recovery, and prevention. Discover the types of treatments such as surgery and...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
10 Things Young Women Should Know About Breast Cancer
Is breast cancer genetic? Should I get tested for the BRCA gene? What every young women should know about breast cancer. Discover...
Related Disease Conditions
Breast cancer is an invasive tumor that develops in the mammary gland. Breast cancer is detected via mammograms, breast...
Post-polio syndrome (PPS) is a group of signs and symptoms that show up two to four decades after the initial polio infection....
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Breast Cancer Prevention
Lifestyle changes, a healthy antioxidant-rich diet, exercise, and weight reduction can help reduce a woman's risk of developing...
The breast, or mammary gland is made up of lobules, milk producing glands, and a system of ducts to transport milk. Both males...
Fibrocystic Breast Condition (Cysts, Fibrosis, Lumps, Changes) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
Fibrocystic breast condition (sometimes called fibrocystic breast disease) is characterized by lumpiness and usually pain,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Breast Lumps (In Women)
Breast lumps in women can have a variety of causes such as breast inflammation, infection, injuries, cancer, and non-cancerous...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Breast Cancer and Coping With Stress
Being diagnosed with breast cancer is stressful. Learning relaxation techniques, exercising, eating well, getting adequate sleep,...
Breast Cancer and Lymphedema
Lymphedema is a common chronic, debilitating condition in which excess fluid called lymph collects in tissues and causes swelling...
Breast Cancer During Pregnancy
Breast cancer occurs in about 1 in every 1,000 pregnant women. Treatment of breast cancer during pregnancy involves surgery, but...
Breast Cancer Recurrence
Breast cancer most often recurs within the first three to five years after the initial treatment. Changes in the look, feel, or...
Breast Cancer Clinical Trials
Breast cancer clinical trials are research programs designed to evaluate new medical treatments, drugs, or devices for the...
Breast Cancer in Young Women
About 5% of cases of breast cancer occur in women under the age of 40 years old. Some risk factors for breast cancer in young...
Inflammatory Breast Cancer
Inflammatory breast cancer is an accelerated form of breast cancer that is not usually detected by mammogram or ultrasound....
Paget Disease of the Breast (Paget's Disease of the Nipple)
Paget's disease is a rare form of cancer that forms in or around the nipple and frequently coexists with breast cancer. The exact...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Estimating Breast Cancer Risk: Questions and Answers
As breast cancer is the most diagnosed non-skin cancer in American women, it is important to know your breast cancer risk. Risk...
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Treatment of Breast Cancer by Stages
Treatment of breast cancer depends upon the stage of the cancer at the time of diagnosis. Some of the various treatments include:...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Breast Cancer FAQs
- Cancer FAQs
- Cancer Care in the Elderly
- Elizabeth Edwards has Breast Cancer Alert
- Advanced Breast Cancer in Young Women Increasing
- What Is a Scintimammography?
- Hospitals: Can Yours Handle Your Emergency?
- Breast Cancer Symptoms and Signs
- Annual Physical Exam
- Ask The Experts: Women's Health
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Mammograms Might Encourage Other Screenings
- Many Breast Cancer Survivors Not Getting Needed Mammograms
- Breast Cancer Prognosis May Be Worse If Diagnosis Follows 'Negative' Mammogram
- Earlier Mammograms May Mean Less Need for Aggressive Treatments
- As Mammograms Became Widespread, Breast Tumor Size Shrank
- Newer Breast MRI May Be More Accurate and Easier
- Women Still Want Annual Mammograms
- Heavier Women May Need Mammograms More Often
- Study Supports Annual Mammograms Starting at Age 40
- Mammogram Decision Hinges on Patient-Doc Talk, Ob-Gyn Group Says
- Asian Women Less Likely to Get Follow-up After Abnormal Mammogram
- Too Many Americans Still Go Without Cancer Screenings
- Could Breast Milk Tests Replace Mammograms?
- Mammogram Guidelines Have Changed, But Are Doctors Listening?
- Diagnostic Mammograms Find More Cancers, and More False-Positives
- Many Women Skip Mammograms After False-Positive Result
- Breast Density May Be Leading Indicator of Cancer Risk
- Obamacare Boosts Breast Cancer Screening, Study Finds
- Study Casts More Doubt on Value of Mammograms
- Never Too Old for a Mammogram?
- Survey: Doctor/Patient Disconnect on Cancer Prevention
- Another Study Questions Mammography Screening
- Depression Can Fuel Heart Disease in Midlife Women: Study
- Software Speeds Up Analysis of Breast Cancer Risk: Study
- Obamacare Tied to Rise in Mammograms
- Study: Trained Experts Can Spot Breast Cancer in 'Blink of an Eye'
- Sugary, High-Fat Western Diet Tied to Denser Breast Tissue
- Wide Variation Seen in 'Dense' Breast Diagnoses
- Early Stage Breast Cancer Does Need Treatment, Study Finds
- About Half of Women May Benefit From Mammograms at 40: Analysis
- Mammograms May Also Help Spot Heart Disease, Study Suggests
- Mammograms a Personal Decision for Women in Their 40s, Panel Says
- Regular Mammograms Worthwhile for Elderly Women
- Breast Ultrasound, Mammography May Be Equally Effective: Study
- New Rules for Mammograms, Tanning Beds Top Health News of 2015
- False-Positive Mammogram May Hint at Breast Cancer Risk Later
- Is Breast Density an Overrated Cancer Risk Factor?
- Breast Cancer Equally Common Now Among Blacks, Whites
- Number of Mammograms Handled May Affect Breast Cancer Detection Rates
- New Mammogram Guidelines Already Creating Controversy
- Women Should Get Annual Mammograms Starting at Age 45: Cancer Society
- Computer-Aided Mammograms May Not Be Worth the Cost: Study
- False-Positive Mammogram Result Traumatic for Most Women: Study
- Early Stage Breast Cancer Far From a Death Sentence: Study
- Radiation From Mammograms May Be Lower Than Thought
- Regular Mamograms Might Lead to 'Overdiagnosis' of Breast Cancer
- International Panel Finds Only 'Limited' Evidence for Mammograms in 40s
- Many Americans Not Getting Routine Cancer Screenings: CDC
- Black Women More Likely to Have Dense Breast Tissue, Study Shows
- Mammograms a Personal Decision for Women in Their 40s, Panel Says
- Mammogram Rates May Fall When Women Learn of 'Overdiagnosis' Risk
- Common Breast Biopsy Finding May Be More Dangerous Than Thought
- Are Routine Ultrasounds for Women With Dense Breasts Worthwhile?
- Mammograms for 40-Somethings Supported by New Study
- New Device May Make Mammograms More Comfortable
- 'Purpose in Life' a Boon to Your Health
- Gene May Help Shield Hispanic Women From Breast Cancer, Study Says
- E-Doctors: Virtual Visits Give Patients Options
- The Future of Cancer Detection
- Doctors, Patients Embrace Technology in Medicine
- Risks of Breast Cancer Screening in Women Over 70
- Bras Blameless for Breast Cancer Risk: Study
- Personal Reminders Seem to Boost Mammography Rates
- Women Over 75 May Benefit From Mammograms
- Do You Still Need an Annual Doctor's Visit?
- Mammography Costs Soar for Seniors, But Detection Rates the Same: Study
- 3D Mammograms May Improve Breast Cancer Screening
- Mammography Cuts Breast Cancer Deaths by 28 Percent: Study
- MRIs Plus Mammograms Best for High-Risk Women, Study Finds
- False-Positive Mammograms Don't Deter Women From Future Screening: Study
- New Review Suggests Benefits of Annual Mammograms Are Overstated
- Routine Mammograms Found Not Helpful for Most Women Over 70
- Annual Mammograms Don't Reduce Breast Cancer Deaths, Study Contends
- Doctors May Need to Revise How They Evaluate Breast Biopsy Results
- FDA Warns Against Nipple Test for Breast Cancer Screening
- New Look at Past Studies Highlights Importance of Mammograms
- Frequent Mammograms Tied to Lower Risk of Breast Cancer Spread
- Use of Breast MRIs Way Up, Studies Find
- Breast Cancer Diagnosed at Later Stage in Rural Patients: Study
- More Black Women in U.S. Diagnosed With Breast Cancer, Report Finds
- Women Vets May Need More Access to Breast Cancer Services
- Most Breast Cancer Deaths Occur in Younger, Unscreened Women: Study
- MRI May Not Improve Outcomes for Early Form of Breast Cancer
- Can Some Women Safely Skip Breast Surgery?
- Mammogram Recalls Higher at Hospitals Than Private Practices: Study
- Mammography Doesn't Reduce Breast Cancer Death Rates: U.K. Study
- Angelina Jolie's Double Mastectomy: Q&A
- Longer Wait for Mammogram After Benign Breast Biopsy May Be Warranted
- Implants May Delay Breast Cancer Detection, Raise Death Risk
- Mammo Rates Unchanged Despite Controversial Guidelines
- Are Pricey Computer-Aided Mammograms Worth It?
- For Older Women, Missed Mammograms Tied to Worse Breast Cancer Outcomes
- Mammograms Every Other Year OK for Women Over 50: Study
- False-Positive Mammograms Can Trigger Long-Term Distress
- More Younger Women Diagnosed With Advanced Breast Cancer: Study
- Healthy Older Women Advised Against Taking Calcium
- For Older Women, Mammograms Every 2 Years Found as Good as Annual Test
- Which Cancer Tests Do You Really Need?
- Brief Life Expectancy Should Rule Out Certain Cancer Screenings: Study
- Costly Breast Cancer Screenings May Not Help Seniors: Study
- Women With Dense Breasts Open to Additional Cancer Screening: Study
- Study: Chest CT Scans May Increase Breast Cancer Risk
- More Cancers May Be Missed Under Latest Mammogram Guidelines
- Adding 3-D Mammograms May Improve Accuracy
- Boomers Zero In on Health at Age 50 and 65, Study Says
- Black Women More Likely to Die From Breast Cancer: Report
- Study: Digital Beats Film Mammography at Spotting Breast Cancer
- First Ultrasound to Spot Cancer in Dense Breasts Approved
- X-Rays May Up Breast Cancer Risk for Women With Certain Genes: Study
- Dense Breasts Not Linked to Cancer Deaths
- Breast Cancer Charity Overstates Value of Mammograms: Researchers
- Medical Group Notes Key Elements of Well-Woman Exams
- Mammograms Have 'Limited or No Effect' on Breast Cancer Deaths: Study
- No Dip in Cancer Screening for Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
- Fewer Women in 40s Getting Mammograms
- U.S. Mammography Rates Drop Following Task Force Recommendations
- After Chest Radiation, Girls at Greater Risk for Early Breast Cancer: Study
- Americans Living Longer but Obesity Rising
- Mammograms Beat Thermography for Breast Cancer Detection: Study
- Health Highlights: May 2, 2012
- Studies Point to Reasons for Mammograms in 40s
- Health Highlights: April 20, 2012
- Health Highlights: April 19, 2012
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices Could Cut Cancer Rates: Report
- Do False-Positive Mammograms Predict Cancer Risk?
- Ultrasound, MRI Might Spot Cancer in Dense Breast Tissue
- Mammograms Spot Cancers That May Not Be Dangerous
- Dense Breasts May Be Linked to Cancer Recurrence
- Two Studies Find Routine Mammography Saves Lives
- New Mammogram Benefits for Women in Their 40s
- 1 in 4 Partial Mastectomy Patients Have Second Surgery
- Too Few Americans Getting Screened for Common Cancers: CDC
- CDC: Cancer Screening Below Target Rates
- Breast Cancer Patients Face More Imaging Tests Today
- Making Sense of Cancer Screening Updates
- Are Too Many Older People Screened for Cancer?
- Carriers of Breast Cancer Gene at Risk of Second Cancer
- British Study Suggests Mammograms May Do More Harm Than Good
- Mammograms May Halve Breast Cancer Deaths
- Does Fertility Treatment Raise Breast Cancer Risk?
- Breast Cancer Death Rates Decline
- PSA Test May Help Check for Breast Cancer
- Researchers Question Mammogram Guidelines
- U.S. Breast Cancer Rates No Longer Declining
- False-Positive Mammograms Linked to Breast Cancer
- Half of Insured Women Skip Annual Mammograms
- Mammograms Less Effective Than Believed
- CDC: More Cancer Screenings Needed to Save Lives
- New Debate on Breast Removal to Prevent Cancer