Patient Comments: Male Breast Cancer - Diagnosis

Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of male breast cancer. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Russ, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 12

I had a fever that was caused by a treatment for a low level of bladder cancer and was sent by the urgent care to the emergency room (ER) to the hospital with an order for a CAT scan. After the CAT scan the ER doctor determined that some kind of mass was near and under my left nipple. He then ordered a chest x-ray and determined that there was a small mass under my left nipple. My primary care doctor sent me to the breast center for a biopsy which has shown some cancer and we are waiting for more results to determine treatment.

Comment from: carolk, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 07

My brother had a small BB-sized lump on his breast for years. He's a mechanic and said one day a wrench slipped and the pain was so bad it took him to his knees. Soon after, the lump started growing. He thought it was from a hit he had taken and that it would eventually get better. When he finally went to the doctor, the doctor said he'd do a biopsy but felt sure it wasn't cancer. The surgeon who did the biopsy said yes it is cancer, and he could tell because this lump had grown so big that he could actually feel the tail of the cancer that had made its way around my brother's side. My brother was 48 at the time of his surgery. His cancer is stage 4 and had spread throughout his body and bones. My brother is a five-year cancer survivor. He's still receiving chemo.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter