Patient Comments: Macular Degeneration - Age

How old were you when you received a diagnosis of macular degeneration? What has been its progression? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Honey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been very recently diagnosed with dry age related macular degeneration (AMD) at 62 years old and so I have no input on progression at this point. However, advice and research tells me that AMD usually progresses slowly and that many people don't even know they have it. There is also a great deal of medical research being conducted to locate solutions for dry AMD before it progresses to wet. Stem cell research is among the possibilities.

Comment from: Kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I was diagnosed at age 56 with dry AMD (age-related macular degeneration) and now, at 61, with wet AMD. I have received 2 intraocular injections of Avastin with 80 percent reduction of the macular swelling after the first; enough that I may not need another injection next month. Yay! AMD is prevalent on one side of my family, and my brother was diagnosed with it about the same age as I was.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I was recently diagnosed with dry macular degeneration at the age of 76. There is no known history of it in my family. I am a type II diabetic. I am taking PreserVision.

Comment from: Mathew, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I am just 21 and I seem to have a macular degeneration. First I was diagnosed with retinal hemorrhage. Later they observed it had no blood vessels inside but my vision seems to gets worse day by day. It happened only in the left eye. I went for a checkup after two months, they said I am free from the internal hemorrhage. I told them I still found no difference. I had a blurred blind spot exactly on my left central vision. They said they can"t do anything about it. They said the scars are the reason I am having a blurred vision and it is going to be there. I really need someone to help me. I still have to make a lot of leaps in my career. Now that I have done some research I found myself applicable on this case. And I didn"t receive any treatment.

Comment from: nannymar, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have just been diagnosed with the dry macular degeneration. I"m a female, age 83. It"s been about 6 months since I first noticed a smudge in the center of my glasses, which of course wasn"t a smudge at all. My mother was diagnosed with it when she was in her early 90s and died shortly after her 100th birthday. I"m now taking an eye vitamin and using lubricating drops several times a day.

Comment from: Rajinder, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I was diagnosed recently with macular degeneration of one eye. Seems that this condition has no remedy other than taking vitamins and supplements.

Comment from: jojo0239, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have received two shots in my eye for the wet macular degeneration. I was told today, that I had a scar in this eye and nothing could be done about.

Comment from: Azureangellove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was diagnosed with macular degeneration at age 48, at this time I go to my physician ever 4 weeks for an injection. At first there was little improvement, I just started a new medication called Eylea. I have noticed some improvement after 2 injections.

Comment from: Luda Dean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I went in for a regular eye checkup because I am diabetic and they found the degeneration at that time; and it seems it is advanced for my age.

Comment from: hey you, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

At age 66 I had drusen deposits in my right eye and now at 68 it has changed to macular degeneration.

Comment from: JP, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I was 54 when I was told I have macular degeneration – wet only, no dry. I have a family history of macular degeneration – my mother has wet.

View the Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures