Patient Comments: Microscopic Colitis - Cause

What was the cause of your lymphocytic colitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mittensmom, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I've suffered with microscopic colitis for the greater part of my adult life with it only being diagnosed in 2012. I have flare-ups then remission of months and the flare-ups seem to be brought on by stress. Right now this one started the day my youngest daughter was diagnosed with brain cancer. No medicines seem to help but the FODMAP diet does help. I had not been taking any NASIDs, very careful about what goes in my body because of this, so I am back on the FODMAP diet. No fun but it worked before and hopefully it will again.

Comment from: Miserable, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 08

C. difficile was the first diagnosis of the diarrhea. I immediately was put on antibiotic Flagyl. No success and for the next 6 months I was on more powerful antibiotics. Stool sample finally said C. difficile was gone. Persistent stomach pains and diarrhea led to the diagnostic colonoscopy. Results showed lymphocytic colitis. I think it was the antibiotics that caused the lymphocytic colitis but don't know what else should have been done. I continue to suffer.

Comment from: Teresa in Tennessee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

This is a new one. I noticed when Propel switched to sucralose as their sweetener I couldn't drink it without getting immediate water like bowel movements and cramps. So I stopped drinking it. No problems for years. I did however eat Dannon Light and Fit Greek Vanilla Yogurt every morning for breakfast for years! I heard something about the 'new improved' product but didn't think anything of it. But with the improvement began my problem. They had switched from Equal to sucralose! I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis 2 months later. I wouldn't be so concerned about the sucralose except for the fact that I had some indigestion one day. I took 4 Tums throughout the day. That night I couldn't leave the bathroom. Guess what the sweetener is in the Tums; sucralose. If massive doses can cause leukemia in rats, who knows what smaller doses could be doing to people. I think it's worth checking out. Just saying!

Comment from: LuluJean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about 8 months back and still have been having issues with the pain especially if I do any of my dancing or a lot of house work. I cannot pick up anything over 10 lb. now without pain. I have to be careful on the amount of food I eat also, plus if any of the food gives me gas. The gas can make my ribs hurt from the other side. I cannot sit very long in one place either.

Comment from: Madelon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I wonder if anyone else who takes metoprolol (beta blocker against high blood pressure) and is since diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis. I take this medicine since last December, in January diarrhea started and has severely increased since then. I sincerely believe there is a connection between both, have to convince my doctors yet.

Comment from: bluesgal46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I too have been diagnosed recently with lymphocytic colitis with a biopsy done during a colonoscopy. I had watery diarrhea, terrible gas with horrible belching, nausea and vomiting. I took Mobic for severe arthritis and was told I had to stop. I was also put on budesonide 3 mg 3 times a day. My doctor wrote my prescription to be compounded. It is a lot cheaper and I got the liquid and it is 78 dollars a month. If the milligram is not commercially made you can have it compounded. I just started on it a week ago and had one day of diarrhea and vomiting, but had been constipated for days after starting it. I'm back constipated again and am going to try some of your diet suggestions. I felt I should share the compounding information because I could not pay USD 498 for the pills. Good luck to everyone.

Comment from: davis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I am been suffering for years and diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis and collagenous colitis, and do not know where to turn or what to do next. I am being referred to yet another specialist.

Comment from: TradeMarc, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I suffered from microscopic colitis (MC) for a couple of years. Avoiding trigger foods like chocolate, beans, caffeine, etc., helped a little but my life was miserable. I found out about the Pepto-Bismol treatment so I tried it. Three regular doses 3 times a day for 6 weeks. During this period nothing much changed but when I reached the end the MC went away totally. I can eat anything I want now and don't have to worry about where I go and what I do.

Comment from: Midge, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have had either IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) since early childhood. As a child I struggled with stomach aches, lots of gas, constipation, bloating, and after several days or weeks of that I finally exploded with diarrhea, which was extremely painful. It was diagnosed at age 19 as IBS, mucous colitis, spastic colon in 1964. I lived with it and had episodes with every event in my life from wedding day, honeymoon, pregnancy, surgeries, camping trips or trips of any kind. It evolved to frequent diarrhea and leaky gut until my gastroenterologist finally diagnosed me with collagenous colitis after doing biopsies. I finally had a name for this enemy but no reason that I should have it or a cure. Today, at 69, I watch my foods, know my triggers, avoid them and live a fairly healthy life. I take IVIG every month for raising my white cells which were very low and now feel much better. I can go from constipation to diarrhea depending on my diet but I"m in charge of that now.

Comment from: beevee boston, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a 70 year old female. Have had microscopic colitis since July 2013. I adjusted my diet, eliminated dairy for 6 months, and eliminated all artificial sweeteners having found these to be very troubling to this condition. I was treated with prescription NSAIDS for bursitis and the symptoms started within days of taking the prescription. No NSAIDS for me (including Aleve, Advil, and aspirin). I slowly reintroduced dairy and am able to tolerate. Imodium (1 to 4/day) works to calm occasional minor flare ups.

Comment from: Texas CPA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had lymphocytic colitis since 2004, with it actually being diagnosed in 2008. I had no relief until last December I found a book on microscopic colitis. It changed my life. I had the testing done and I was fortunate in that the only problem was gluten. I went gluten free and also had to stop fresh fruits and vegetables. I am in remission and have been for three months. I have been able to slowly add back some fruits and vegetables, not all.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had inexplicable diarrhea for many, many years. I also had a giant hiatal hernia that was bleeding, which caused blood loss and black stools, so my stools didn't fit any category. Urgency and severity of the diarrhea was worsening and I finally had a biopsy during a colonoscopy, which verified lymphocytic colitis. The gastroenterologist took me off omeprazole and substituted it with ranitidine. Diarrhea situation improved significantly. Eventually I had stomach surgery to restore stomach to the abdomen, but also causing gastroparesis. Now, I careen from severe constipation to diarrhea and back again. Whether the colitis is still in play or the diarrhea occurs because of the motility trouble is unclear. At least I'm still alive and kicking, but bowels are still a royal pain.

Comment from: VS, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

In 2010, May to September, I suffered from viral thyroiditis. I was 55 years old. My aging suddenly got accelerated. I am told that there is no medicine or vaccine on viral thyroiditis.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

My symptoms, too, began just after my colonoscopy 11 months ago. After 2 months of symptoms I figured I was lactose intolerant and eliminated dairy products for 1 week---no relief. My thyroid tests showed I was taking slightly too much Synthroid, so for the next 8 weeks I put up with my symptoms while my thyroid medication was adjusted--no improvement. Since I noticed fruits and veggies seemed to be going through me very rapidly, I eliminated them for 3 days---no improvement. I then started Align for 4 weeks---no improvement. Then I spoke with my PCP and he ran blood tests for gluten intolerance, they were negative. I then began VSL#3, and my symptoms slightly improved, but if I miss one dose my symptoms are bad again for several days. After taking VSL#3 for 3 months and not being able to get off of it, I saw my GI specialist, and based on my symptoms he feels I have microscopic colitis. We are beginning some therapy and will try a few different things before doing another colonoscopy and definitive biopsies.

Comment from: Lufechanged, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

Yes, I have microscopic colitis and after 3 months of testing my gastroenterologist knew after a colonoscopy. I have side effects from the steroids like tingles in hands and lips, and loss of appetite and tiredness.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I am a senior softball tournament player who used ibuprofen frequently. I was recently diagnosed with microscopic colitis (MC) after 6 weeks of liquid bowels 6 to 8 times/day. About 10 days ago I began taking 1 lactic acid yeast wafer and 1 Digest RC tablet before each meal and switched to a gluten free bland diet which has reduced my liquid bowel episodes and volumes significantly. A 100 wafers cost about USD 50 from Standard Process and Digest RC tablets cost about USD 20. Both are available online. I am hoping that I am on the road to recovery.

Comment from: walker, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis many years ago. Symptoms were explosive diarrhea and gas. Two weeks ago I started taking acacia senegal and it seems to be doing wonders for me. Gradually I increased the dose to one teaspoon, twice daily. I am also trying fennel tea. The tea seems to calm my gut and reduce gas. I don't know if this would help everybody, but it sure seems to be helping me.

Comment from: crob, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis by colonoscopy after 3 months of diarrhea. I was treated with a steroid regimen and it worked great. The gastroenterologist's physician's assistant I saw told me he was sure that's what I had, but had to have the colonoscopy to confirm it.

Comment from: jabba, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

After about 10 years of living in agony with cramps and diarrhea which has ruined my life and have been fobbed off by doctors, I have been diagnosed with microscopic colitis after a colonoscopy. They have given me steroids and they don't work.

Comment from: Nettie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis several years ago and like others was put on Entocort, which worked but the cost is too high. I read that honey is good for the digestive tract so I eat 2 teaspoons of raw honey daily and it greatly reduces my symptoms. In the past year I've been diagnosed with lymphoma and am now wondering if there is a connection between lymphocytic microscopic colitis and lymphoma. Of the 30 plus types of lymphoma, the doctors have not been able to pinpoint which one I have. And, since I don't have swollen lymph nodes, I am not getting treatments.

Comment from: mali123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

My LC just started, and (luckily or not) because it had been found previously in some women in my family, I knew what test to take and got a quick positive diagnosis. Luckily I have not had severe symptoms, other than persistent watery diarrhea, and sensitivity to cold damp weather (made my joints and connective tissue ache, and left me very wrung out). Interestingly enough, my diarrhea is controlled at this point by elimination of gluten and addition of a lot of medium spicy green chili sauce (plenty in at least one meal a day - chilies are known to be anti-inflammatory). Guess I AM lucky....

Comment from: Mary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with Lymphacytic colitis at the age of 28. I will be 38 at the end of his year. I have eliminated soo much from my diet that I know I have multiple deficiencies. I am not under care of Dr right now use to no insurance because of per-existing disease. I am constantly fatigued & just trying to make it through most days being a working mom. I have found that when I do take probiotics, they do help. For the last few years I have had flare ups at end of June, early July due to the heat. I take Dipentum to calm down my flare ups for about a month.

Comment from: Fay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

A torn meniscus and emergence of AO last year required used of NSAIDs to relive the inflammation. After several months, the symptoms of colitis began to emerge, finally diagnose through biopsy in a colonoscopy last month. Most helpful has been the introduction of fiber (Metamucil,) up to three doses when enjoying lots of fruit and veggie in season. Usually one dose a day is adequate to reduce the watery nature, and when that's not sufficient, Imodium. Pain from AO is now managed with icing and careful exercise.

Comment from: 1Leigh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I am 32 years old and have been diagnosed with Lymphocytic colitis. After about 10 years of going back and forth to all types of doctors I finally found a doctor that would listen to me. Not only did I have the constipation/diarrhea but I had severe pain right under my ribs on my left side that I could feel both in the front and in the back. It's always in the same exact spot (my kids have had to put pressure on that spot so much that they know exactly where it's at!) For me this pain over the years was the worse part.

Comment from: Cinnamon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

He suggested that I go on steroidal drugs to take down the inflammation but I am so scared of the side effects that I refused. I pretty much got things to settle down after changing my diet, exercising and avoiding certain foods. Unfortunately, I have chronic diarrhea, pain, and nausea from time to time. Lately, almost everyday. Not sure what is going on now but the nausea, diarrhea, and stomach pain are worse and seem to be staying. In addition to being diagnosed with micro colitis, I had two gall stones the size of golf balls that were contributing to my pain and suffering. I had my gallbladder out last year.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis after begging my doctors to figure out why I was always having diarrhea and stomach problems. At first they blamed me. I was not sticking to my gluten free diet. I was and a follow up test proved it. I have celiac and have been gluten free for six years. Finally after my colonoscopy they found the problem. I think that my digestive system is sensitive and my immune system caused the colitis.

Comment from: TerrieOhio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have just been diagnosed with microscopic colitis and read that the drug, Simvastatin can also cause this. It has recently been advised by the FDA that people on Simvastatin (80 mg) need to stop taking this drug. I have other related health issues because of Simvastatin.

Comment from: laurnell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had a bout of Noro virus which fully lasted 6 days, and frequent watery diarrhea after that. Saw gastroenterologist who diagnosed lymphocytic colitis and I was on Endocort for 3 months with good results. I have now been having recurrent symptoms, frequent watery explosive urgent diarrhea, for a week or so. My MD talked about the Pepto Bismol routine which I will try, but I will let him know of apparent recurrence.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I began having problems immediately after my colonoscopy. Prior to the colonoscopy, my digestive system was perfect- stools were regular and well-formed. Everything was like clock-work. The colonoscopy was normal, showing no abnormalities. I began having loose stools, which was attributed to disruptions in bacteria levels. I took probiotics and ate lots of yogurt then bought Culturelle. No relief. Tried everything. Went to the doctor and had stool cultures which showed nothing. I really suspect the colonoscopy no one else seems to think so.

Comment from: Hurting girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with microscopic colitis a year ago. My GI doc tells me that I should not have pain but I do my stomach hurts really bad. I vomit and have chills. It really is affecting my life.

Comment from: Jackie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have had collagenous colitis for years now and have found that if I stay dairy free, and do not drink coffee, I am fine. I also take a daily probiotic and every so often take a dose of aloe. It tastes awful, but mixed with unsweetened orange juice and blended, then gulped down quickly, it is tolerable. Now I rarely suffer and have been able to introduce certain dairy items on a very small scale, but regular milk is still a no-no. Evaporated milk I can tolerate in tea and small portions of cheese dishes.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter