Lyme disease is a bacterial illness, which is spread by ticks when they bite the skin. Initially the disease affects the skin causing a reddish rash associated with flu-like symptoms. It takes weeks to months after the initial redness of the skin for its effects to spread throughout the body. Lyme disease can be treated with antibiotics. Lyme disease can be prevented by using tick avoidance techniques. Read more: Lyme Disease Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Lyme Disease Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
What you do not know about Lyme disease may surprise you. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of this...
Rheumatoid Arthritis Quiz: What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
How is rheumatoid arthritis different from other forms of arthritis, such as osteoarthritis and gout? Take the Rheumatoid...
Picture of Tick Bite Granuloma
Sometimes at the site of a tick bite, a persistent firm papulonodular lesion may develop. See a picture of Tick Bite Granuloma...
Picture of Lyme Disease (Erythema-Migrans)
Lyme disease is caused by the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi and is transmitted by the pinhead-sized Ixodes ticks. See a picture...
Picture of Lyme Disease
Lyme disease is transmitted through a bite from a specific type of tick. See a picture of Lyme Disease and learn more about the...
Bad Bugs: Identify Bug Bites From Mosquitos, Spiders and More
What do bed bug bites look like? See spider bite pictures and learn how to identify bug bites from mosquitos, bees, bed bugs,...
Lyme Disease Symptoms, Rash, Treatments
Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi transmitted to humans through infected deer ticks. Lyme disease...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Symptoms & Treatment
What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)? Learn about juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Discover rheumatoid arthritis (RA) symptoms,...
Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains
What is dementia? Learn about dementia disorders such as Lewy Body Dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), Vascular (multi-infarct)...
Childhood Diseases: Measles, Mumps, & More
Is your child at risk for these childhood diseases? Know what to look for and when to call the doctor for conditions such as...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Related Disease Conditions
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Encephalitis is a brain inflammation that causes sudden fever, vomiting, headache, light sensitivity, stiff neck and back,...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Problems) Paralysis Causes and Treatments
Bell's palsy is one type of facial nerve paralysis. The 7th cranial nerve controls the muscles of the face, and although...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Pain that originates in the face is referred to as trigeminal neuralgia. This pain may be caused by: an injury, an infection...
Heart failure (congestive) is caused by many conditions including coronary artery disease, heart attack, cardiomyopathy, and...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Uveitis is inflammation of the eye. Symptoms include blurred vision, eye pain, eye redness, photophobia, and floaters. Treatment...
Spider Bites (Common, Black Widow, and Brown Recluse)
Most spiders in the United States are harmless; however, black widow and brown recluse spider bites may need medical treatment....
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Septic arthritis, or infectious arthritis, is infection of one or more joints by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Symptoms and signs...
Bug Bites and Stings
Bug bites and stings have been known to transmit insect-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus, Rocky Mountain spotted fever,...
Ticks are known transmitters of disease to humans and animals. Tick-borne diseases include Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted...
Optic neuritis is inflammation of the optic nerve, the structure that connects the eye to the brain. The precise cause of optic...
Is Lyme Disease Contagious?
Lyme disease may be transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected tick. The bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi causes the disease...
Rheumatology is the study of rheumatic diseases and conditions. Rheumatologists are internal medicine physicians who treat these...
Morgellons disease is a rare condition causing delusions the sufferer has parasites under his or her skin. The disease has a...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Joint Pain
- Hand and Finger Numbness
- Knee Pain
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Enlarged Heart
- Joint Stiffness
- Lyme Disease
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Tingling in Hands and Feet
- Joint Warmth
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Lyme Disease Striking More Americans in More States
- Big Slice of Red Meat Allergies Tied to Tick Bites
- As Ticks Reach Record Numbers, Take Precautions
- Lyme-Bearing Ticks More Widespread in U.S. Than Thought
- Health Tip: Avoiding Lyme Disease
- To Repel Ticks This Summer, Try Insecticide-Treated Clothes
- U.S. Illnesses Tied to Ticks, Mosquitoes Are Soaring
- Lone Star Ticks Won't Give You Lyme, But Can Still Make You Sick
- Don't Let the Tick Stick
- Health Tip: Recognizing Lyme Disease
- Researchers Developing Early Detection Test for Lyme Disease
- Many Americans Unaware of This Year's Heavy Tick Season: Poll
- How to Keep Your Kids Out of the ER This Summer
- Health Tip: Preventing Tick Bites
- Coming This Summer: More Ticks and a Deadly New Tick-Borne Disease
- More Cases of Tick-Borne Powassan Disease Expected in U.S. This Year
- Don't Let Ticks Get Under Your Skin
- Daffodils, Margaritas and Other Surprise Skin Dangers
- Ticks Carrying Lyme Disease Confirmed in Eastern National Parks
- Wearable Sensors May Spot Illness Before Symptoms Start
- Study: El Nino Could Boost Lyme Disease in Western U.S.
- Drug Duo Cures a Tick-Borne Disease -- in Mice
- 7 Ways to Give Ticks the Slip
- Study: Longer-Term Antibiotics Won't Ease 'Chronic Lyme Disease'
- Lyme Disease 'Biofilm' Eludes Antibiotics: Report
- Gene Discovery Could Point to New Lyme Disease Test: Study
- New Lyme Disease Bacteria Discovered in Upper Midwest: CDC
- Studying Tick Biology With Lyme Prevention in Mind
- Lyme-Causing Ticks Expand Their Range in U.S.
- Lyme Disease in U.S. Is Under-Reported, CDC Says
- Watch Out for Disease-Carrying Insects This Summer
- Another Tick-Borne Illness Documented in Northeast
- In Northeast, Weather Changes May Mean More Ticks, Earlier
- Lyme Disease More Serious, Costly Than Believed: Study
- Health Woes to Worsen Due to Climate Change, Study Warns
- EPA Unveils New Bug Repellant Labeling
- Culling Deer Herd Curbs Lyme Disease, Study Says
- Guard Your Kids Against Bug Bites This Summer
- Tick Exposure Can Occur in a Minute in Infested Areas
- Preventing Tick Bites
- What Happens When a Child With Autism Refuses Most Foods?
- U.S. Lyme Disease Cases Vastly Underreported: CDC
- Midwest Ticks Show Signs of 'Heartland Virus'
- Health Tip: Check for Ticks
- Tick-Borne Illness Babesiosis a Hazard for Seniors
- New Tick-Borne Illness May Be Misdiagnosed
- Tick Safety Tips for Kids at Summer Camp
- Study Debunks Lyme Disease-Autism Link
- Deer Ticks Carry Yet Another Bacterial Threat
- Lyme Rash Reappearance Probably Signals New Infection, Study Says
- Tick-Borne Illnesses in U.S. Move Beyond Lyme Disease
- Tick in Man's Ear Gives Him Tinnitus
- Certain Tick Bites Might Spur Red Meat Allergy
- Health Tip: Check Yourself for Ticks
- CDC Warns of Another Emerging Tick-Borne Threat
- Tick Season Starts Early: How to Protect Yourself and Your Pet
- Northeast U.S. Should Brace for Spike in Lyme Disease: Expert
- Map Shows Where in U.S. to Beware of Lyme Disease
- 6 Insect Repellents Get High Marks
- Health Tip: Learn the Signs of Lyme Disease
- Review Panel Leaves Controversial Lyme Disease Guidelines Unchanged
- Genetic Engineering Raises Hope for Lyme Disease Vaccine
- Watch Out for Lyme Disease
- As Earth Warms, Lyme Disease Could Flourish
- Lyme Disease and Violence: No Link
- Bad Lyme Bug Spreading