The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood. Eliminating carbon dioxide from the blood is important, because as it builds up in the blood, headaches, drowsiness, coma, and eventually death may occur. The air we breathe in (inhalation) is warmed, humidified, and cleaned by the nose and the lungs. Read more: Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Lung Cancer Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
Learn about lung cancer symptoms and treatments. Get more information on small cell lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, and...
COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
COPD is a pulmonary disorder caused by obstructions in the airways of the lungs leading to breathing problems. Learn about COPD...
Asthma Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Asthma is a chronic disease of the airways of the lungs, which can be managed with proper treatment. Triggered by two main...
What happens within the body when a person develops bronchitis? Take this quick quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments,...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Quiz
COPD is a combination of three conditions? Take this quiz to learn the three conditions that make up the pulmonary disease called...
Lung Cancer Quiz: Signs and Symptoms
Lung cancer is the number one cause of cancer deaths in both men and women in the U.S. and worldwide. Get the facts about lung...
Picture of Bronchitis
Acute bronchitis usually comes on quickly and gets better after several weeks. See a picture of Acute Bronchitis and learn more...
Picture of Lung Cancer
Cancer of the lung, like all cancers, results from an abnormality in the body's basic unit of life, the cell. See a picture of...
Picture of Bronchioles
A tiny tube in the air conduit system within the lungs that is a continuation of the bronchi and connects to the alveoli (the air...
Picture of Lungs
The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest (thorax). See a picture of the Lungs and...
Bronchitis Symptoms and Treatments
Is bronchitis contagious? Learn about bronchitis, an inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Bronchitis can be aggravated from...
COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
Boost your energy and combat COPD with these diet tips. Which foods can help patients with COPD? Which foods to avoid for COPD?...
Asthma Symptoms, Causes, and Medications
What is asthma? Learn about asthma, a chronic inflammation disorder of the bronchiole tubes (airways). Discover information about...
Slideshow: Lung Cancer Risks: Myths and Facts
Learn about lung cancer myths and facts. Explore how cigar smoke, menthol, and pollution can increase your risk of lung cancer...
10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
Learn 10 exercises for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). If you have COPD, give your muscles more oxygen...
Asthma Attack Signs, Treatments, and Prevention
Look at the anatomy of an asthma attack. See these warning signs and symptoms to avoid an asthma emergency such as a persistent...
What is Asthma? Asthma Myths Debunked
There is currently no cure for asthma, and no specific, single cause for asthma has been identified. Take this quiz on asthma...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
10 Worst Asthma Cities in the U. S. in Pictures
Do you live in one of the 10 worst cites for asthma? There is no such thing as an asthma-free city, but some are more difficult...
Worst Smog Cities in Pictures: Air Pollution, Ozone, and Asthma
Learn the worst smog cities in America. See the 10 cities with the most polluted, unclean and smoggy air....
Related Disease Conditions
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...
Lung cancer kills more men and women than any other form of cancer. Eight out of 10 lung cancers are due to tobacco smoke. Lung...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke,...
Emphysema is a COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that often occurs with other obstructive pulmonary problems and...
Mycobacterium tuberculosis is the bacterium that causes tuberculosis (TB). Symptoms and signs of TB include bloody sputum, fever,...
Pulmonary fibrosis is scarring throughout the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis can be caused by many conditions including chronic...
Cough (Chronic Cough)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Pneumothorax (Symptoms, Causes, Types, and Prognosis)
A pneumothorax is free air in the chest outside the lung, that causes the lung to collapse (collapsed lung). There are two types...
Sarcoidosis, a disease resulting from chronic inflammation, causes small lumps (granulomas) to develop in a great range of body...
Marfan syndrome is hereditary (genetic) condition affecting connective tissue. A person with Marfan syndrome may exhibit the...
Interstitial Pneumonitis (Interstitial Lung Disease)
Interstitial lung disease refers to a variety of diseased that thicken the tissue between the lungs' air sacks. Viruses,...
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Asthma: Over the Counter Treatment
Patients who have infrequent, mild bouts of asthma attacks may use over-the-counter (OTC) medications to treat their asthma...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome)
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a lung condition in which trauma to the lungs leads to inflammation of the lungs,...
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Bronchiolitis is an illness caused by a variety of viruses that is most common during the winter season. Bronchiolitis symptoms...
Bronchiectasis (Acquired, Congenital)
Bronchiectasis has three types: 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, 3) and cystic...
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
Adult-onset asthma is asthma that is diagnosed in people over 20 years of age. Symptoms include wheezing, coughing, shortness of...
Carcinoid Syndrome (Carcinoid Tumor)
A carcinoid tumor is a tumor that develops from enterochromaffin cells. The important characteristic of carcinoid tumors that...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
Asbestos exposure lung disease is divided into three main types: asbestosis (lung scarring caused by asbestos...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
There are two types of asthma medications: long-term control with anti-inflammatory drugs and quick relief from bronchodilators....
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Nicotine is delivered to the brain through smoking, chewing, or sniffing tobacco. Nicotine is an addictive agent. Common names...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
Asthma in Children
Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in...
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF)
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis or IPF is a progressive lung disease. There is no known cause of IPF. Symptoms include:...
Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer vs Small Cell Lung Cancer
Non-small cell lung cancers (NSCLC) consist of large cell carcinomas, adenocarcinomas, and squamous cell carcinomas. Small cell...
Mesothelioma is a form of cancer that forms in the chest lining (pleural mesothelioma), abdomen (peritoneal mesothelioma), and...
COPD vs. Asthma (Differences and Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma both have common symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath,...
e-cigarettes are replaceable or refillable cartridges or containers that are smoke-able and hold a liquid that contains solvents,...
Occupational asthma is a type of asthma caused by exposure to a substance in the workplace. Symptoms and signs include wheezing,...
There are many unusual symptoms of asthma, including sighing, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, chronic cough, recurrent walking...
Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and Colds
If you have a COPD such as emphysema, avoiding chronic bronchitis and colds is important to avoid a more severe respiratory...
Exercise-induced asthma is asthma triggered by vigorous exercise. Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, chest...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Asthma FAQs
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) FAQs
- Bronchitis FAQs
- Lung Cancer FAQs
- Lung Cancer Signs and Symptoms
- 5 Causes of Lung Cancer in Non-Smokers
- Wildfires: Protect Yourself from Wildfire Smoke
- Emphysema from Crack Cocaine?
- Ask the Experts - Pulmonary
- Lung Cancer - Health Beat Audio Segment
- Shortness of Breath & VP Cheney
Medications & Supplements
- Corticosteroids (Systemic, Oral and Injectable)
- hydrochlorothiazide - oral, Microzide
- prednisone - oral, Deltasone
- prednisone concentrate solution - oral, Prednisone Intensol
- albuterol (salbutamol) pre-mixed solution - inhalation, Proventil, Ventolin
- furosemide solution- oral, Lasix
- prednisolone liquid - oral, Orapred, Pediapred, Prelone
- albuterol (salbutamol) solution - inhalation, Proventil, Ventolin
- theophylline sustained-release - oral, Uniphyl
- pseudoephedrine/loratadine 24-hour tablet - oral, Claritin-D
- ipratropium/albuterol (salbutamol) solution - inhalation, DuoNeb
- dexamethasone - oral, Decadron
- cromolyn nebulizer solution - inhalation, Intal
- loratadine/pseudoephedrine sustained-release - oral, Claritin-D
- brimonidine solution - ophthalmic, Alphagan P
- modafinil - oral, Provigil
- furosemide - oral, Lasix
- metolazone - oral, Zaroxolyn
- triamterene/hydrochlorothiazide - oral, Dyazide, Maxzide
- cromolyn aerosol - inhalation, Intal
- albuterol (salbutamol) inhaler - oral, Proventil, Ventolin
- salmeterol inhalation - oral, Serevent
- SALBUTAMOL (ALBUTEROL)-ORAL DISK INHALER
- FLUTICASONE-ORAL AEROSOL INHALER, Flovent
- Nicorette Gum (nicotine polacrilex, Nicorelief, Nicorette, Thrive)
- nicotine patch (Nicoderm CQ, Habitrol)
- torsemide (Demadex)
- ephedrine (oral)
- Nasal Decongestants
- albuterol pediatric pre-mixed solution - inhalation, AccuNeb
- hydrocodone/homatropine (Hycodan [discontinued] Tussigon)
- xanthine derivatives-oral
- aminophylline (Norphyl, Phyllocontin, Truphylline) injection
- dexamethasone injection (Baycadron, Decadron [Discontinued], Dexamethasone Intensol)
- bronchodilator-aerosol oral inhaler
- vecuronium bromide-injection, Norcuron
- acetylcysteine - inhalation/oral
- tiotropium capsule - inhalation
- beclomethasone dipropionate inhaler/spray; Beconase AQ, QNASL
- caffeine citrate-injection, Cafcit
- formoterol powder in capsule - oral inhalation, Foradil
- epinephrine solution-inhalation, Adrenalin, Isuprel
- corticosteroids-oral aerosol inhaler
- metaproterenol inhaler - oral, Alupent
- doxapram-injection, Dopram
- daptomycin - injection, Cubicin
- EpiPen (epinephrine auto-injector, EpiPen Jr)
- ma-huang (Ephedra sp)-oral
- fluticasone disk inhaler - oral, Flovent Rotadisk
- caffeine citrate solution - oral, Cafcit
- pirbuterol breath activated aerosol inhaler - oral, Maxair Autohaler
- dyphylline - oral, Dilor, Lufyllin
- fluticasone hfa inhaler - oral
- guaifenesin/theophylline/pseudoephedrine elixir - oral, Broncomar-1
Prevention & Wellness
- Respiratory Disease Death Rates Have Soared
- Steroid Pills Usually Ineffective Against Bronchitis, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Worried About Lung Disease?
- Pollution From Coal Burning Most Damaging to Health, Study Finds
- Shorter People Less Likely to Get Lung Transplants
- Lung Transplants From Heavy Drinkers Linked to Higher Complication Risk
- Teen Sisters Develop Ways to Measure Lung, Heart Damage
- Some Lung Patients Buy Cigarettes Along With Meds at Pharmacies: Study
- Living With a Smoker Like Living in a Polluted City: Study
- Traffic Pollution May Be a Risk While Pregnant
- EPA Sets Tougher Auto Fuel, Emissions Standards
- Indoor Incense Triggers Lung Cell Inflammation, Study Shows
- Bigger Lungs Improve Odds of Transplant Survival, Study Finds
- Sampling New York Subway Air for Science
- Man Dies After Parasitic Worms Invade Lungs
- Healthy Lungs May Keep Brain Running Smoothly
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter