Trending Lungs Topics
Pneumonia is inflammation of one or both lungs with consolidation. Pneumonia is frequently but not always due to infection. The infection may be bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic. Symptoms may include fever, chills, cough with sputum production, chest pain, and shortness of breath.
Watch this slideshow on the effects of how smoking dramatically speeds up wrinkles and aging, causes early menopause, hair loss, cataracts, sagging skin and breasts, infertility, and other affects on looks and life.
Is pneumonia contagious? This quiz features the causes, symptoms, signs, and complications you need to know about this serious respiratory infection.
Related Disease Conditions
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome)
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a lung condition in which trauma to the lungs leads to inflammation of the lungs,...
Asbestos (Exposure Dangers, Testing, Symptoms)
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that is found in soil and rock. Asbestos exposure occurs when asbestos fibers are disturbed and...
Bronchiectasis has three types, 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, and 3) cystic...
Bronchitis (Acute) Contagoius Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Recovery Time
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
Chronic Bronchitis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Remedies)
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Common Medical Abbreviations List
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Life Expectancy
COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke, and/or...
COPD vs. Asthma (Differences and Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma both have common symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath,...
COPD vs. Emphysema
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other healthcare professionals use to describe a group of...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Vaping: e-Cigarette and Marijuana Vape Risks
Vaping or e-cigarettes are smokable products that use refillable or replaceable cartridges or containers that contain a liquid...
Emphysema is a COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that often occurs with other obstructive pulmonary problems and...
Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and Colds
If you have a COPD such as emphysema, avoiding chronic bronchitis and colds is important to avoid a more severe respiratory...
Extensively Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis (XDR TB)
Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR TB) is a rare form of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR TB) that's transmitted...
Hookahs vs. Cigarette Smoking (Addiction and Health Dangers)
A hookah is a water pipe that's used to smoke flavored tobacco like watermelon, licorice, coconut, chocolate, cherry, mint,...
Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis is an inflammation of the lung caused by small airborne particles such as bacteria, mold, fungi, or...
Hypoxia is a condition in which the normal concentration of oxygen in the blood is not enough for normal life functions. Symptoms...
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis or IPF is a progressive lung disease. There is no known cause of IPF. Symptoms include shortness...
Interstitial Pneumonitis (Interstitial Lung Disease)
Interstitial lung disease refers to a variety of diseased that thicken the tissue between the lungs' air sacks. Viruses,...
Is Pleurisy Contagious?
Pleurisy or pleuritis is an inflammation of the lining around the lungs. Some of the causes of pleurisy include TB, the flu,...
Is Pneumonia Contagious?
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lung usually caused by bacterial or viral infection (rarely, also by fungi) that causes the air...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Nicotine is delivered to the brain through smoking, chewing, or sniffing tobacco. Nicotine is an addictive agent. Common names...
Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Lung Disease (NTM, Symptoms, Treatment, Side Effects)
Nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM), most commonly, M. avium complex or MAC, is a mycobacteria that causes lung infections and...
Pleural effusion is a buildup of fluid in the chest or on the lungs. There are two types of pleural effusion, transudate and...
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax)
A pneumothorax is free air in the chest outside the lung, that causes the lung to collapse (collapsed lung). There are two types...
Popcorn Lung (Bronchiolitis Obliterans Symptoms, Causes, Life Expectancy
Popcorn lung is a term for the lung disease bronchiolitis obliterans. Popcorn lung is caused by diacetyl and 2,3-pentanedione,...
Pulmonary edema (swelling or fluid in the lungs) can either be caused by cardiogenic causes (congestive heart failure, heart...
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung)
A pulmonary embolism (PE) occurs when a piece of a blood clot from deep vein thrombosis (DVT) breaks off and travels to an artery...
Pulmonary fibrosis is scarring throughout the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis can be caused by many conditions including chronic...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
Smoking and Heart Disease
Smoking increases the risk of heart disease in women and men. Nicotine in cigarettes decrease oxygen to the heart, increases...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Superior Vena Cava Syndrome
Superior vena cava syndrome is compression of the superior vena cava vein located in the upper chest. Causes of superior vena...
Thallium is a metal that can be found in small amounts in the soil. When thallium enters the environment through coal-burning or...
Second Source article from WebMD...
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation
One concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking....
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Airway
The path air follows to get into and out of the lungs. See a picture of Airway and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Bronchioles
A tiny tube in the air conduit system within the lungs that is a continuation of the bronchi and connects to the alveoli (the air...
Picture of Bronchitis
Acute bronchitis usually comes on quickly and gets better after several weeks. See a picture of Acute Bronchitis and learn more...
Bronchitis Symptoms and Treatments
Is bronchitis contagious? Learn about bronchitis, an inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Bronchitis can be aggravated from...
What happens within the body when a person develops bronchitis? Take this quick quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments,...
Costochondritis: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
What is costochondritis? Learn about costochondritis symptoms such as chest pain. Explore costochondritis treatment options....
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Quiz
COPD is a combination of three conditions? Take this quiz to learn the three conditions that make up the pulmonary disease called...
COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
Boost your energy and combat COPD with these diet tips. Which foods can help patients with COPD? Which foods to avoid for COPD?...
COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
COPD is a pulmonary disorder caused by obstructions in the airways of the lungs leading to breathing problems. Learn about COPD...
10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
The more you exercise, the better you'll feel with COPD. Breathe easier with these 10 exercises from WebMD....
Lung Cancer Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
Learn about lung cancer symptoms and treatments. Get more information on small cell lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, and...
Picture of Lungs
The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest (thorax). See a picture of the Lungs and...
Picture of Pleural Effusion
Excess fluid between the two membranes that envelop the lungs. See a picture of Pleural Effusion and learn more about the health...
Do I Have Pneumonia? Symptoms & Signs
Pneumonia can be deadly. Take the Pneumonia Quiz on MedicineNet to learn more about this highly contagious, infectious disease....
Picture of Pneumothorax
Free air in the chest outside the lung. See a picture of Pneumothorax and learn more about the health topic....
How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
One of the best ways to improve your health is to quit smoking. These practical tips to help you quit smoking have been shown to...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Smoking: How E-cigarettes and Vaping Affect Your Body
You may think that vaping and e-cigarettes are safer than tobacco use, but that doesn't mean they're without risk. Find out how...
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome)
- Bloody Sputum (Hemoptysis)
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Cough
- Cyanosis (Turning Blue)
- Pleurisy (Pleuritis)
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Infection
- Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea)
- Tension Pneumothorax
- Upper Respiratory Infection
- Acute Bronchitis Treatment Treatment Medications and Home Remedies
- Acute Bronchitis: How Long Do Symptoms Last?
- Anthrax, Then and Now
- Doctors Answer Lung Condition Questions
- Can Patients With Emphysema Benefit From Lung Volume Reduction Surgery?
- Emphysema from Crack Cocaine?
- CDC Issues Isolation Order for Man with TB
- Cigar Smoking ... Heart & Lung Disease & Cancer
- Emphysema Causes and Risk Factors
- Emphysema Treatment
- Emphysema Symptoms
- How Long Is Pneumonia Contagious?
- Wildfires: Protect Yourself from Wildfire Smoke
- Is it Common to Have Pneumothorax with COPD?
- What Lung Diseases Cause the Most Hospitalizations?
- Mold Hazards, A Story From New Orleans
- What Causes Noisy Breathing in Babies?
- Pneumonia Symptoms
- Pneumonia Treatment
- Pneumonia Vaccination: Who Should Have One?
- Serena Williams Battles Pulmonary Embolism and a Hematoma
- Quit Smoking: A Novel Medication to Help Quit Smoking
- Secondhand Smoke How Deadly Is It?
- Sensitive to Smoke, Lung Cancer Gene
- Should I Get the Pneumonia Vaccine Every Year?
- Smoking: Does Smoking Protect the Brain? - No
- Teens Smoking Less Butt . . .
- What Are Calcified Lung Nodules?
- Smoking Cessation: FREE Help
- What Are the Symptoms of Respiratory Distress?
- What Is Pulmonary Neuropathy?
- What Is Stage IV COPD?
- Why Does Lung Cancer Spread So Fast?
- Will a Flu Shot Prevent Pleurisy?
Medications & Supplements
- acetylcysteine - inhalation/oral
- alpha-1 proteinase inhibitor, Prolastin-C
- bosentan - oral, Tracleer
- cefaclor (Raniclor)
- cefdinir (Omnicef has been discontinued)
- dornase alpha, Pulmozyme
- ethambutol - oral, Myambutol
- fluticasone furoate and vilanterol inhalation powder (Breo Ellipta)
- fluticasone disk inhaler - oral, Flovent Rotadisk
- ipratropium solution - inhalation, Atrovent
- isoniazid - oral
- Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor)
- Nicorette Gum (nicotine polacrilex, Habitrol)
- nicotine patch (Nicoderm CQ, Habitrol)
- pirfenidone (Esbriet)
- rifampin/isoniazid - oral, Rifamate
- rifampin - oral, Rifadin, Rimactane
- rifampin/isoniazid/pyrazinamide - oral, Rifater
- tiotropium bromide and olodaterol (Stiolto Respimat)
- tinzaparin - injection
- tiotropium capsule - inhalation
- varenicline (Chantix)
Prevention & Wellness
- 'Toxic Fumes' May Be Driving Vaping-Linked Lung Illnesses
- Cases of Serious Vaping-Linked Lung Injury Now Top 1,000
- 14 Hospitalizations in 2 States May be Linked to Vaping
- 2 in 3 Adults Who Use E-Cigs Want to Stop
- 8 in 10 Americans Want Less Nicotine in Cigarettes: CDC
- More Than 800 Cases of Vaping-Linked Illness Across 46 States, CDC Says
- 9/11 Health Conditions and Cancers 18 Years Later
- A Better Strategy for Quitting Smoking
- Are Disinfectants Putting Nurses at Risk of COPD?
- Are Forests Now Playing a Role in Pollution?
- Are Hookahs Safer Than Cigarettes? Chemical Study Says No Way
- As Air Pollution Increases, so Do ER Visits
- As Vaping Became Popular Among Young, Smoking Rates Fell
- Bill Would Raise U.S. Legal Age to Buy Tobacco to 21
- Bill Would Raise U.S. Minimum Age for Tobacco to 21
- Body's Natural Chemicals May Help Protect 9/11 Responders' Health: Study
- Breaking the Smoking-Drinking Connection
- Cab Drivers Breathe in Way Too Much Smog
- Cases of Lung Injury Tied to Vaping Keep Rising
- Cases of Severe Lung Injury After Vaping Reported in Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin
- Chemicals From Heat-Not-Burn Tobacco Devices Not Harmless: Study
- Childhood TB Shot May Offer Long-Term Protection from Lung Cancer
- Close to 1,300 Cases of Vaping-Linked Illness Now Identified
- COPD May Strike Women Harder Than Men
- Cyanide Precursor Found in Black Market THC Vape Cartridges
- Daily Aspirin Might Ease COPD Flare-Ups
- Daily Vitamin D Could Be a Lifesaver for Some COPD Patients
- Device Helps Doctors Select Lungs for Transplant
- Dirty Air Is Deadly, Global Study Confirms
- Dirty Air Kills 30,000 Americans Each Year
- E-Cigarette Maker Juul Stops All Advertising, Replaces CEO
- FDA Chief Threatens to Halt E-Cigarette Sales
- FDA Expands Cystic Fibrosis Treatment Approval to Children Ages 6 to 12
- FDA OKs Restricted Sales of 'Heat-Not-Burn' Tobacco Devices
- FDA Proposes Graphic Warning Labels on Cigarettes
- FDA to Ban Most Flavored E-Cigarettes
- FDA Warns Juul About Illegal Marketing Claims and Pitch to Youth
- Why Are So Few COPD Patients Getting Vital Rehab Treatment?
- Few U.S. Universities Are Smoke-Free
- First Death Tied to Lung Injury From Vaping Reported in Illinois
- Fitness in Middle Age Cuts Men's Odds for COPD Later
- Flavored E-Cigarette Use Soars Among Young Adults
- Flu Shot Crucial for Those With COPD
- Global Efforts to Cut Smoking Show Mixed Results
- Good Smells May Help Ease Tobacco Cravings
- Health Officials Close in on Culprit in Vaping Lung Injury Cases
- Health Tip: Avoiding Air Pollution
- Health Tip: Caring for Bronchitis
- Health Tip: Dealing With a Chronic Cough
- Health Tip: Identifying Symptoms of Bronchitis
- Health Tip: Minimizing Shortness of Breath
- Health Tip: Preventing Bronchitis
- Health Tip: Understanding Cystic Fibrosis
- Health Tip: What Causes a Chronic Cough
- Heavy Smog as Bad as Pack-a-Day Smoking for Lungs
- High-Deductible Health Plans Can Harm COPD Patients: Study
- Hookah Pipes Far From Harmless, Study Warns
- Hookah Smoke Can Contain More Toxins Than Cigarettes, Experts Warn
- Hundreds More Cases of Vaping Sickness Likely, U.S. Official Says
- Warning Letters Sent to Companies Illegally Selling E-Liquid, Hookah Products: FDA
- Injured Lungs Can Be Regenerated for Transplant: Study
- Juul Halts Sale of Fruit, Dessert Flavors of E-Cigarettes
- Light Smoking Causes More Lung Damage Than Once Suspected: Study
- Lung Cancer Screening Can Detect Other Smoking Ills
- Many E-Cigs Loaded With Germs, Study Finds
- Many Pneumonia Patients Get Too Many Antibiotics
- Poll Finds Many Young Americans Think Vaping is Safe
- Medicaid Could Save $2.6 Billion a Year With Dip in Smoking
- Michigan First State to Ban Flavored E-Cigarettes
- Millions of Americans Still Breathing Secondhand Smoke: Report
- Money Motivates Smokers to Quit Long Term, Study Finds
- More Americans Now Think Vaping Is Harmful
- New Antibiotic Approved for Community-Acquired Bacterial Pneumonia
- Number of American Smokers Who've Tried to Quit Has Stalled
- 'He May Need a Ventilator': One Teen's Fight Against Vaping-Linked Lung Illness
- Prescription Opioids May Raise Pneumonia Risk
- Raising Legal Smoking Age to 21 Works
- San Francisco Is First U.S. City to Ban E-Cigarette Sales
- Second Possible Death in U.S. From Vaping-Related Lung Illness
- Sen. Rand Paul Recovering From Lung Surgery
- Sheep Study Shows a Stuffy Side Effect of Vaping
- Sixth U.S. Death from Vaping-Related Lung Illness Confirmed
- Smokers Who Roll Their Own Less Likely to Quit
- Smoking May Interfere With 'Embolization' Lung Treatment
- Smoking Relapse Less Likely Among Vapers: Study
- State Prisons Need More Smoking-Cessation Programs: Study
- Mouse Study Suggests Vaping Might Raise Cancer Risk
- THC-Laced Products May Be to Blame for Majority of Vaping-Linked Illnesses: CDC
- The Sooner You Quit Smoking, the Better
- Tough Rules on E-Cigs Might Push Folks Back to Smoking
- Trump Pushing for Nationwide Ban on Flavored E-Cigarettes
- U.S. Smoking Rates Hit Record Low
- Unfiltered Cigarettes Are Most Deadly
- Scientists Find Unsafe Levels of Known Carcinogen in Menthol E-Cigarettes
- Vapers Exposed to Fewer Toxins Than Conventional Smokers: Study
- Vapers May Prompt Smokers to Quit: Study
- Vaping and Smoking May Signal Greater Motivation to Quit
- Vaping Beats Nicotine Patch, Gum in Helping Smokers Quit
- Vaping Constricts Blood Vessels, Raising Heart, Lung Concerns
- AHA News: Vaping Ignites Legislative Trend to Raise Tobacco Sales Age to 21
- Vaping Industry Group Sues to Delay FDA Review of E-Cigarettes
- Vaping May Trigger Lung Damage Like That Seen in Emphysema
- Cases of Vaping-Linked Lung Illness Rise to 530 Across 38 States: CDC
- CDC Revises Number of Vaping-Linked Lung Illnesses to 380 in 36 States
- Vaping-Linked Lung Illness Claims 7th Victim
- Vaping-Linked Lung Illness Claims 8th Life
- Vaping-Linked Lung Illnesses Double, Vitamin E Acetate Leading Suspect
- Vermont Places 92% Tax on E-Cigarettes
- Walgreens and Kroger Halt E-Cigarette Sales
- Want to Stop Smoking? Gums, Patches, Sprays or Counseling May Help
- Would a Health Warning on Every Cigarette Help Smokers Quit?
- 10 Persistent Myths About Smoking
- Bronchitis Symptoms
- Can You Get Away With Social Smoking?
- Control Your Weight and Quit Smoking
- Deadly Lung Disorder in Sickle Cell Disease
- Iressa (gefitinib): Questions and Answers on FDA Approval
- Iressa, FDA Approves Drug for Lung Cancer
- Kick Butts Now!
- Smoking: Lighting Up to Calm Down?
- Lung Cancer Drug, Who Can It Help?
- Lung Cancer Prevention
- Mental Health: Addicted to Nicorette
- Mind Over Matter: Tobacco Addiction
- Quit Smoking
- Quit Smoking: 10 Overlooked Reasons
- Quitting Smoking Tips for Women
- Quitting Smoking: Alternative Therapies
- Red Tide Toxin for Cystic Fibrosis
- Smokeless Tobacco : Quitting
- Smokeless Tobacco : Warning Signs
- Smokeless Tobacco May Affect Motor Skills
- Smoking and the Pill
- Smoking in Men
- Smoking: Angry People Born to Smoke
- Smoking: Why Cigarettes are a Woman's Worst Enemy
- Smoking: The Romance of a Good Smoke
- Tobacco's -Healing Properties Were Discovered By Jean Nicot
- FDA: Boxed Warning on Serious Mental Health Events to be Required for Chantix