Trending Lungs Topics
Pneumonia is inflammation of one or both lungs with consolidation. Pneumonia is frequently but not always due to infection. The infection may be bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic. Symptoms may include fever, chills, cough with sputum production, chest pain, and shortness of breath.
Watch this slideshow on the effects of how smoking dramatically speeds up wrinkles and aging, causes early menopause, hair loss, cataracts, sagging skin and breasts, infertility, and other affects on looks and life.
Is pneumonia contagious? This quiz features the causes, symptoms, signs, and complications you need to know about this serious respiratory infection.
Related Disease Conditions
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome)
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a lung condition in which trauma to the lungs leads to inflammation of the lungs,...
Asbestos (Exposure Dangers, Testing, Symptoms)
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that is found in soil and rock. Asbestos exposure occurs when asbestos fibers are disturbed and...
Bronchiectasis (Symptoms, Causes, Complications, Life Expectancy)
Bronchiectasis has three types, 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, and 3) cystic...
Bronchitis (Acute) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Remedies, and Cures
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
Chronic Bronchitis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Remedies)
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Symptoms, Causes, Stages, Life Expectancy
COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke, and/or...
COPD vs. Asthma (Differences and Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma both have common symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath,...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Vaping (e-Cigarettes, Side Effects, Dangers, Safety)
Vaping or e-cigarettes are smokable products that use refillable or replaceable cartridges or containers that contain a liquid...
Emphysema is a COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that often occurs with other obstructive pulmonary problems and...
Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and Colds
If you have a COPD such as emphysema, avoiding chronic bronchitis and colds is important to avoid a more severe respiratory...
Extensively Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis (XDR TB)
Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR TB) is a rare form of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR TB) that's transmitted...
Hookahs vs. Cigarette Smoking (Addiction and Health Dangers)
A hookah is a water pipe that's used to smoke flavored tobacco like watermelon, licorice, coconut, chocolate, cherry, mint,...
Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis is an inflammation of the lung caused by small airborne particles such as bacteria, mold, fungi, or...
Hypoxia is a condition in which the normal concentration of oxygen in the blood is not enough for normal life functions....
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis or IPF is a progressive lung disease. There is no known cause of IPF. Symptoms include shortness...
Interstitial Pneumonitis (Interstitial Lung Disease)
Interstitial lung disease refers to a variety of diseased that thicken the tissue between the lungs' air sacks. Viruses,...
Is Pleurisy Contagious?
Pleurisy or pleuritis is an inflammation of the lining around the lungs. Some of the causes of pleurisy include TB, the flu,...
Is Pneumonia Contagious?
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lung usually caused by bacterial or viral infection (rarely, also by fungi) that causes the air...
lumacaftor and ivacaftor
Lumacaftor and ivacaftor (Orkambi) is a combination drug prescribe to treat cystic fibrosis (CF) in patients 12 years of age and...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Nicotine is delivered to the brain through smoking, chewing, or sniffing tobacco. Nicotine is an addictive agent. Common names...
Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Lung Disease (NTM, Symptoms, Treatment, Side Effects)
Nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM), most commonly, M. avium complex or MAC, is a mycobacteria that causes lung infections and...
Pleural effusion is a buildup of fluid in the chest or on the lungs. There are two types of pleural effusion, trandsudate and...
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Pneumothorax (Symptoms, Causes, Types, and Prognosis)
A pneumothorax is free air in the chest outside the lung, that causes the lung to collapse (collapsed lung). There are two types...
Popcorn Lung (Bronchiolitis Obliterans Symptoms, Causes, Life Expectancy
Popcorn lung is a term for the lung disease bronchiolitis obliterans. Popcorn lung is caused by diacetyl and 2,3-pentanedione,...
Pulmonary edema (swelling or fluid in the lungs) can either be caused by cardiogenic causes (congestive heart failure, heart...
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung)
A pulmonary embolism (PE) occurs when a piece of a blood clot from deep vein thrombosis (DVT) breaks off and travels to an artery...
Pulmonary fibrosis is scarring throughout the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis can be caused by many conditions including chronic...
Pulmonary Hypertension (Symptoms, Treatment Medications, Life Expectancy)
Pulmonary hypertension is an increase pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
Smoking and Heart Disease
Smoking increases the risk of heart disease in women and men. Nicotine in cigarettes decrease oxygen to the heart, increases...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Superior Vena Cava Syndrome
Superior vena cava syndrome is compression of the superior vena cava vein located in the upper chest. Causes of superior vena...
Thallium is a metal that can be found in small amounts in the soil. When thallium enters the environment through coal-burning or...
Second Source article from WebMD...
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation
One concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking....
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Airway
The path air follows to get into and out of the lungs. See a picture of Airway and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Bronchioles
A tiny tube in the air conduit system within the lungs that is a continuation of the bronchi and connects to the alveoli (the air...
Picture of Bronchitis
Acute bronchitis usually comes on quickly and gets better after several weeks. See a picture of Acute Bronchitis and learn more...
Bronchitis Symptoms and Treatments
Is bronchitis contagious? Learn about bronchitis, an inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Bronchitis can be aggravated from...
What happens within the body when a person develops bronchitis? Take this quick quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments,...
Costochondritis: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
What is costochondritis? Learn about costochondritis symptoms such as chest pain. Explore costochondritis treatment options....
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Quiz
COPD is a combination of three conditions? Take this quiz to learn the three conditions that make up the pulmonary disease called...
COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
Boost your energy and combat COPD with these diet tips. Which foods can help patients with COPD? Which foods to avoid for COPD?...
COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
COPD is a pulmonary disorder caused by obstructions in the airways of the lungs leading to breathing problems. Learn about COPD...
10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
Learn 10 exercises for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). If you have COPD, give your muscles more oxygen...
Lung Cancer Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
Learn about lung cancer symptoms and treatments. Get more information on small cell lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, and...
Picture of Lungs
The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest (thorax). See a picture of the Lungs and...
Picture of Pleural Effusion
Excess fluid between the two membranes that envelop the lungs. See a picture of Pleural Effusion and learn more about the health...
Do I Have Pneumonia? Symptoms & Signs
Pneumonia can be deadly. Take the Pneumonia Quiz on MedicineNet to learn more about this highly contagious, infectious disease....
Picture of Pneumothorax
Free air in the chest outside the lung. See a picture of Pneumothorax and learn more about the health topic....
How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
One of the best ways to improve your health is to quit smoking. These practical tips to help you quit smoking have been shown to...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Acute Bronchitis Treatment Treatment Medications and Home Remedies
- Acute Bronchitis: How Long Do Symptoms Last?
- Anthrax, Then and Now
- Doctors Answer Lung Condition Questions
- Can Patients With Emphysema Benefit From Lung Volume Reduction Surgery?
- CDC Issues Isolation Order for Man with TB
- Cigar Smoking ... Heart & Lung Disease & Cancer
- Emphysema Causes and Risk Factors
- Emphysema from Crack Cocaine?
- Emphysema Treatment
- Emphysema Symptoms
- How Long Is Pneumonia Contagious?
- Wildfires: Protect Yourself from Wildfire Smoke
- Is it Common to Have Pneumothorax with COPD?
- What Lung Diseases Cause the Most Hospitalizations?
- Mold Hazards, A Story From New Orleans
- What Causes Noisy Breathing in Babies?
- Pneumonia Symptoms
- Pneumonia Treatment
- Pneumonia Vaccination: Who Should Have One?
- Quit Smoking: A Novel Medication to Help Quit Smoking
- Secondhand Smoke How Deadly Is It?
- Sensitive to Smoke, Lung Cancer Gene
- Serena Williams Battles Pulmonary Embolism and a Hematoma
- Should I Get the Pneumonia Vaccine Every Year?
- Smoking Cessation: FREE Help
- Smoking: Does Smoking Protect the Brain? - No
- Teens Smoking Less Butt . . .
- What Are Calcified Lung Nodules?
- What Are the Symptoms of Respiratory Distress?
- What Is Pulmonary Neuropathy?
- What Is Stage IV COPD?
- Why Does Lung Cancer Spread So Fast?
- Will a Flu Shot Prevent Pleurisy?
Medications & Supplements
- acetylcysteine - inhalation/oral
- alpha-1 proteinase inhibitor, Prolastin-C
- bosentan - oral, Tracleer
- cefaclor, Raniclor
- cefdinir (Omnicef has been discontinued)
- dornase alpha, Pulmozyme
- ethambutol - oral, Myambutol
- fluticasone furoate and vilanterol inhalation powder (Breo Ellipta)
- fluticasone disk inhaler - oral, Flovent Rotadisk
- ipratropium solution - inhalation, Atrovent
- isoniazid - oral
- Nicorette Gum (nicotine polacrilex, Nicorelief, Nicorette, Thrive)
- nicotine patch (Nicoderm CQ, Habitrol)
- pirfenidone (Esbriet)
- rifampin/isoniazid - oral, Rifamate
- rifampin - oral, Rifadin, Rimactane
- rifampin/isoniazid/pyrazinamide - oral, Rifater
- tiotropium bromide and olodaterol (Stiolto Respimat)
- tinzaparin - injection
- tiotropium capsule - inhalation
- varenicline, Chantix
Prevention & Wellness
- Limiting 'Cold Time' Could Make More Organs Available for Transplant
- 'Heat-Not-Burn Cigarettes' Aiming for U.S. Market
- 'Old' Lungs May Be Good Transplant Options
- Nearly 4 Million Worldwide Die Each Year From Asthma, COPD
- Another Downside to Opioid Use: Pneumonia?
- Anti-Smoking Group With Tobacco Ties
- Antibiotic Doesn't Prevent Lung Complication After Stem Cell Transplant
- First-Try Antibiotics Now Fail in 1 in 4 Adult Pneumonia Cases
- Kalydeco Approval Widened for More Types of Cystic Fibrosis
- Artificial Intelligence May Help Combat TB in Remote Regions
- As Pot Smoking Rises, Users Might Also Turn to Cigarettes
- Ban Menthols to Help Some Smokers Quit
- Best Ways to Quit Smoking, Cut Your Lung Cancer Risk
- Breathing Trouble May Follow Preemies to Adulthood
- Cigarette Tax Hike Could Ease Poverty for Millions Worldwide: Study
- Clean Air Act May Be Saving More Lives Than Thought
- Climate Change May Trigger 60,000 More Premature Deaths by 2030
- Cluster of Lung Disease Cases Found Among Dentists
- Commitment Is Key for Online Quit-Smoking Groups
- COPD Is an Adult Killer, But Its Origins May Lie in Childhood
- COPD Patients May Breathe Easier With Tai Chi
- Could 'Safer' Filtered Cigarettes Be More Deadly?
- Create Your Own Quit-Smoking Plan
- Death Rate Drops for Americans Hospitalized With COPD
- Do E-Cigs Really Help Smokers Quit?
- E-Cigarettes Doing More Harm Than Good: Study
- E-Cigarettes: Both Good and Bad, Expert Panel Says
- FDA Looks to Reduce Nicotine in Cigarettes
- FDA Panel Rejects Some Claims for 'Heat-not-Burn' Tobacco Device
- FDA Takes Aim at Flavored Tobacco
- FDA Considers Lowering Nicotine Levels in Cigarettes
- Fit Kids Have Healthier Lungs as Adults: Study
- Girl's Windpipe Replacement Still Works 4 Years Later
- Graphic Anti-Smoking Ads Can Backfire on Kids
- Health Groups Sue FDA to Speed Review of E-Cigarettes
- Health Tip: 11 Harmful Effects of Smoking
- Health Tip: Diagnosing Pneumonia
- Health Tip: Living with Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Health Tip: Quit Smoking
- Health Tip: Stop Smoking
- Health Tip: Understanding COPD
- Health Tip: Want Healthier Lungs?
- Health Tip: Want to Stop Smoking?
- Health Tip: When Air Quality is Poor
- Health Tip: Worried About Lung Disease?
- HIV and Smoking a Lethal Combo for the Lungs
- Hookah Smoking Carries a Poisoning Risk
- How to Kick the Smoking Habit for Good
- Long-Acting Inhaler May Help in Early Stage COPD, Too
- More E-Cigarettes, Fewer Tobacco Smokers?
- More Hardcore Smokers Trying to Kick the Habit
- More Than 40% of Americans Breathe Dirty Air: Report
- Obamacare May Have Helped More Americans Quit Smoking
- Pollution Tied to 9 Million Deaths Worldwide in 2015
- Protecting Your Health From Wildfire Smoke
- Regular Use of Bleach Linked to COPD
- Respiratory Disease Death Rates Have Soared
- Restaurant Bans Have Big Impact on Smoking Rates
- Smoggy Streets May Make Daily Walk a Health Hazard
- Smokers 10 Times More Likely to Use Pot Daily
- Smoking Bans Help Kids Breathe Easier
- Smoking Bans May Not Rid Casinos of Smoke
- Smoking Habit Tougher to Break for Some Americans
- Some Cigars Pack Bigger Nicotine Punch Than Cigarettes
- Statins May Help People With COPD Live Longer
- Steroid Pills Usually Ineffective Against Bronchitis, Study Finds
- Strong Tobacco Laws May Weed Out Vapers, Too
- Struggling to Quit Smoking? Try These Tips
- Switch From Smoking to Vaping Could Save Over 6 Million U.S. Lives
- Ted Koppel's Fight to Make COPD Headline News
- Teens Often Think E-Cigs, Hookah Pipes Harmless: CDC
- Tiny Juul Device Getting U.S. Teens Hooked on Vaping
- Tobacco Kills, No Matter How It's Smoked: Study
- Tobacco's Harms May Come Sooner Than Smokers Think
- Toxic Metals Found in E-Cigarette Vapor
- Toxins in E-Cigarettes May Vary by Flavor
- Tried to Quit But Still Smoking? Help's On the Way
- U.S. Smoking Rate Falls, But 38 Million Still Light Up
- Could Common Vitamin Supplements Raise Lung Cancer Risk?
- When It Pays to Quit, More People Stop Smoking
- When One Teen Vapes, Others Often Follow
- Widely Used COPD Meds Tied to Increased Fracture Risk
- With E-Cigs, Flavorings May Pose the Greatest Danger
- 10 Persistent Myths About Smoking
- Bronchitis Symptoms
- Can You Get Away With Social Smoking?
- Control Your Weight and Quit Smoking
- Deadly Lung Disorder in Sickle Cell Disease
- Iressa (gefitinib): Questions and Answers on FDA Approval
- Iressa, FDA Approves Drug for Lung Cancer
- Kick Butts Now!
- Smoking: Lighting Up to Calm Down?
- Lung Cancer Drug, Who Can It Help?
- Lung Cancer Prevention
- Mental Health: Addicted to Nicorette
- Mind Over Matter: Tobacco Addiction
- Quit Smoking
- Quit Smoking: 10 Overlooked Reasons
- Quitting Smoking Tips for Women
- Quitting Smoking: Alternative Therapies
- Red Tide Toxin for Cystic Fibrosis
- Smokeless Tobacco : Quitting
- Smokeless Tobacco : Warning Signs
- Smokeless Tobacco May Affect Motor Skills
- Smoking and the Pill
- Smoking in Men
- Smoking: Angry People Born to Smoke
- Smoking: Why Cigarettes are a Woman's Worst Enemy
- The Dangers Secondhand Smoke
- Smoking: The Romance of a Good Smoke
- Tobacco's -Healing Properties Were Discovered By Jean Nicot
- FDA: Boxed Warning on Serious Mental Health Events to be Required for Chantix