Trending Lungs Topics
Pneumonia is inflammation of one or both lungs with consolidation. Pneumonia is frequently but not always due to infection. The infection may be bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitic. Symptoms may include fever, chills, cough with sputum production, chest pain, and shortness of breath.
Watch this slideshow on the effects of how smoking dramatically speeds up wrinkles and aging, causes early menopause, hair loss, cataracts, sagging skin and breasts, infertility, and other affects on looks and life.
Is pneumonia contagious? This quiz features the causes, symptoms, signs, and complications you need to know about this serious respiratory infection.
Related Disease Conditions
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome)
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a lung condition in which trauma to the lungs leads to inflammation of the lungs,...
Asbestos (Exposure Dangers, Testing, Symptoms)
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that is found in soil and rock. Asbestos exposure occurs when asbestos fibers are disturbed and...
Bronchiectasis has three types, 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, and 3) cystic...
Bronchitis (Acute) Contagoius Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Recovery Time
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
Chronic Bronchitis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Remedies)
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Common Medical Abbreviations List
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a lung condition caused by smoking tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke, and/or...
COPD vs. Asthma (Differences and Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and asthma both have common symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath,...
COPD vs. Emphysema
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other healthcare professionals use to describe a group of...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Vaping: e-Cigarette and Marijuana Vape Risks
Vaping or e-cigarettes are smokable products that use refillable or replaceable cartridges or containers that contain a liquid...
Emphysema is a COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) that often occurs with other obstructive pulmonary problems and...
Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and Colds
If you have a COPD such as emphysema, avoiding chronic bronchitis and colds is important to avoid a more severe respiratory...
Extensively Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis (XDR TB)
Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR TB) is a rare form of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR TB) that's transmitted...
Hookahs vs. Cigarette Smoking (Addiction and Health Dangers)
A hookah is a water pipe that's used to smoke flavored tobacco like watermelon, licorice, coconut, chocolate, cherry, mint,...
Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis is an inflammation of the lung caused by small airborne particles such as bacteria, mold, fungi, or...
Hypoxia is a condition in which the normal concentration of oxygen in the blood is not enough for normal life functions. Symptoms...
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis or IPF is a progressive lung disease. There is no known cause of IPF. Symptoms include shortness...
Interstitial Pneumonitis (Interstitial Lung Disease)
Interstitial lung disease refers to a variety of diseased that thicken the tissue between the lungs' air sacks. Viruses,...
Is Pleurisy Contagious?
Pleurisy or pleuritis is an inflammation of the lining around the lungs. Some of the causes of pleurisy include TB, the flu,...
Is Pneumonia Contagious?
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lung usually caused by bacterial or viral infection (rarely, also by fungi) that causes the air...
Lung Anatomy (Structure and Function)
The lungs are primarily responsible for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the air we breathe and the blood....
Nicotine is delivered to the brain through smoking, chewing, or sniffing tobacco. Nicotine is an addictive agent. Common names...
Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Lung Disease (NTM, Symptoms, Treatment, Side Effects)
Nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM), most commonly, M. avium complex or MAC, is a mycobacteria that causes lung infections and...
Pleural Effusion (Fluid in the Pleural Space)
Pleural effusion is a buildup of fluid in the chest or on the lungs. There are two types of pleural effusion, transudate and...
Pleurisy, an inflammation of the lining around the lungs, is associated with sharp chest pain upon breathing in. Cough, chest...
Pneumonia (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Treatment, and Recovery)
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax)
A pneumothorax is free air in the chest outside the lung, that causes the lung to collapse (collapsed lung). There are two types...
Popcorn Lung (Bronchiolitis Obliterans)
Popcorn lung is a term for the lung disease bronchiolitis obliterans. Popcorn lung is caused by diacetyl and 2,3-pentanedione,...
Pulmonary edema (swelling or fluid in the lungs) can either be caused by cardiogenic causes (congestive heart failure, heart...
Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in the Lung)
A pulmonary embolism (PE) occurs when a piece of a blood clot from deep vein thrombosis (DVT) breaks off and travels to an artery...
Pulmonary fibrosis is scarring throughout the lungs. Pulmonary fibrosis can be caused by many conditions including chronic...
Pulmonary hypertension is elevated pressure in the pulmonary arteries that carry blood from the lungs to the heart. The most...
Secondhand smoke can cause illness and disease in nonsmokers. Some of these conditions include lung cancer, heart disease,...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
Smoking and Heart Disease
Smoking increases the risk of heart disease in women and men. Nicotine in cigarettes decrease oxygen to the heart, increases...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Superior Vena Cava Syndrome
Superior vena cava syndrome is compression of the superior vena cava vein located in the upper chest. Causes of superior vena...
Thallium is a metal that can be found in small amounts in the soil. When thallium enters the environment through coal-burning or...
Second Source article from WebMD...
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation
One concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking....
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Airway
The path air follows to get into and out of the lungs. See a picture of Airway and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Bronchioles
A tiny tube in the air conduit system within the lungs that is a continuation of the bronchi and connects to the alveoli (the air...
Picture of Bronchitis
Acute bronchitis usually comes on quickly and gets better after several weeks. See a picture of Acute Bronchitis and learn more...
Bronchitis Symptoms and Treatments
Is bronchitis contagious? Learn about bronchitis, an inflammation of the lining of the lungs. Bronchitis can be aggravated from...
What happens within the body when a person develops bronchitis? Take this quick quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments,...
Costochondritis: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
What is costochondritis? Learn about costochondritis symptoms such as chest pain. Explore costochondritis treatment options....
COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) Quiz
COPD is a combination of three conditions? Take this quiz to learn the three conditions that make up the pulmonary disease called...
COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
Boost your energy and combat COPD with these diet tips. Which foods can help patients with COPD? Which foods to avoid for COPD?...
COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
COPD is a pulmonary disorder caused by obstructions in the airways of the lungs leading to breathing problems. Learn about COPD...
10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
The more you exercise, the better you'll feel with COPD. Breathe easier with these 10 exercises from WebMD....
The Health Effects of Air Pollution
Indoor and outdoor air pollution can cause a variety of problems, from asthma attacks to lung cancer to premature death. Learn...
Lung Cancer Symptoms, Stages, Treatment
Learn about lung cancer symptoms and treatments. Get more information on small cell lung cancer, non-small cell lung cancer, and...
Picture of Lungs
The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs located on either side of the chest (thorax). See a picture of the Lungs and...
Picture of Pleural Effusion
Excess fluid between the two membranes that envelop the lungs. See a picture of Pleural Effusion and learn more about the health...
Do I Have Pneumonia? Symptoms & Signs
Pneumonia can be deadly. Take the Pneumonia Quiz on MedicineNet to learn more about this highly contagious, infectious disease....
Picture of Pneumothorax
Free air in the chest outside the lung. See a picture of Pneumothorax and learn more about the health topic....
How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
One of the best ways to improve your health is to quit smoking. These practical tips to help you quit smoking have been shown to...
Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
The effects of secondhand smoke can be hazardous to your health. Secondhand smoke can lead to lung cancer, heart disease, and...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Smoking: How E-cigarettes and Vaping Affect Your Body
You may think that vaping and e-cigarettes are safer than tobacco use, but that doesn't mean they're without risk. Find out how...
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
Lung and Respiratory Health: Surprising Causes of Lung Damage
Carpets, fireworks, and hot tubs are some of the unexpected things that can hurt your lungs. Find out what you can do to prevent...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome)
- Bloody Sputum (Hemoptysis)
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Cough
- Cyanosis (Turning Blue)
- Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- Pleurisy (Pleuritis)
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Infection
- Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea)
- Tension Pneumothorax
- Upper Respiratory Infection
- Acute Bronchitis Treatment Treatment Medications and Home Remedies
- Acute Bronchitis: How Long Do Symptoms Last?
- Anthrax, Then and Now
- Doctors Answer Lung Condition Questions
- Can Patients With Emphysema Benefit From Lung Volume Reduction Surgery?
- Emphysema from Crack Cocaine?
- CDC Issues Isolation Order for Man with TB
- Cigar Smoking ... Heart & Lung Disease & Cancer
- Emphysema Causes and Risk Factors
- Emphysema Treatment
- Emphysema Symptoms
- How Long Is Pneumonia Contagious?
- Wildfires: Protect Yourself from Wildfire Smoke
- Is it Common to Have Pneumothorax with COPD?
- What Lung Diseases Cause the Most Hospitalizations?
- Mold Hazards, A Story From New Orleans
- What Causes Noisy Breathing in Babies?
- Pneumonia Symptoms
- Pneumonia Treatment
- Pneumonia Vaccination: Who Should Have One?
- Serena Williams Battles Pulmonary Embolism and a Hematoma
- Quit Smoking: A Novel Medication to Help Quit Smoking
- Secondhand Smoke How Deadly Is It?
- Sensitive to Smoke, Lung Cancer Gene
- Should I Get the Pneumonia Vaccine Every Year?
- Smoking: Does Smoking Protect the Brain? - No
- Teens Smoking Less Butt . . .
- What Are Calcified Lung Nodules?
- Smoking Cessation: FREE Help
- What Are the Symptoms of Respiratory Distress?
- What Is Pulmonary Neuropathy?
- What Is Stage IV COPD?
- Why Does Lung Cancer Spread So Fast?
- Will a Flu Shot Prevent Pleurisy?
Medications & Supplements
- acetylcysteine - inhalation/oral
- alpha-1 proteinase inhibitor (Prolastin-C)
- bosentan - oral, Tracleer
- cefaclor (Raniclor)
- cefdinir (Omnicef has been discontinued)
- Chantix (varenicline) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- Daliresp (roflumilast)
- dornase alpha (Pulmozyme)
- ethambutol - oral, Myambutol
- fluticasone furoate and vilanterol inhalation powder (Breo Ellipta)
- fluticasone disk inhaler - oral, Flovent Rotadisk
- ipratropium solution - inhalation, Atrovent
- isoniazid - oral
- Orkambi (lumacaftor and ivacaftor)
- Nicorette Gum (nicotine polacrilex, Habitrol)
- nicotine patch (Nicoderm CQ, Habitrol)
- pirfenidone (Esbriet)
- rifampin/isoniazid - oral, Rifamate
- rifampin - oral, Rifadin, Rimactane
- rifampin/isoniazid/pyrazinamide - oral, Rifater
- Side Effects of Kinlytic (urokinase)
- Side Effects of Prolastin-C (alpha-1 proteinase inhibitor)
- Side Effects of Stiolto Respimat (tiotropium bromide and olodaterol)
- Spiriva (tiotropium bromide)
- tiotropium bromide and olodaterol (Stiolto Respimat)
- tinzaparin - injection
- tiotropium capsule - inhalation
- varenicline (Chantix)
- Yupelri (revefenacin)
Prevention & Wellness
- 10 Persistent Myths About Smoking
- Bronchitis Symptoms
- Can You Get Away With Social Smoking?
- Control Your Weight and Quit Smoking
- Deadly Lung Disorder in Sickle Cell Disease
- Iressa (gefitinib): Questions and Answers on FDA Approval
- Iressa, FDA Approves Drug for Lung Cancer
- Kick Butts Now!
- Smoking: Lighting Up to Calm Down?
- Lung Cancer Drug, Who Can It Help?
- Lung Cancer Prevention
- Mental Health: Addicted to Nicorette
- Mind Over Matter: Tobacco Addiction
- Quit Smoking
- Quit Smoking: 10 Overlooked Reasons
- Quitting Smoking Tips for Women
- Quitting Smoking: Alternative Therapies
- Red Tide Toxin for Cystic Fibrosis
- Smokeless Tobacco : Quitting
- Smokeless Tobacco : Warning Signs
- Smokeless Tobacco May Affect Motor Skills
- Smoking and the Pill
- Smoking in Men
- Smoking: Angry People Born to Smoke
- Smoking: Why Cigarettes are a Woman's Worst Enemy
- Smoking: The Romance of a Good Smoke
- Tobacco's -Healing Properties Were Discovered By Jean Nicot
- FDA: Boxed Warning on Serious Mental Health Events to be Required for Chantix