Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Describe Your Experience

What’s your biggest challenge with living with lung cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Natalie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My grandma was diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer last summer and has been trying different medications since then. She went to the Accident and Emergency due to a persistent cough for over a month and pain on her upper right back. After a CXR (chest x-ray), her upper right lung was found collapsed as described by the doctor and further biopsy tests were done which confirmed the cancer. She was given the oral targeted therapy at first and she was responding quite well. However her liver enzymes went too high and her body could not tolerate the drug. That's when she switched to a newer oral targeted therapy but this time the visible side effects were really bad, her face got swollen, and bad reactions with her eyes. She also had some skin reactions. Despite all the side effects she was experiencing, her tumors were not responding to the drug and they even grew bigger. She then switched to intravenous chemotherapy and had several times of radiotherapy before that, hoping to shrink the tumors a bit. She was responding quite well to it at first, however, she has severe anemia after receiving chemotherapy for several months. She had to stop the chemotherapy and that was when the cancer got out of control. Moreover, since the chemotherapy was causing the anemia, and her body condition is just simply too weak for other chemotherapies, she is currently just in pain control and was given some cough suppressants. Her problem of coughing up blood is also getting more severe recently. The loss of appetite, nausea, and vomiting are actually making the condition much worse. She could not get enough nutrients for normal body functioning which made her more prone to infections and anemia. Also, constipation is another problem while there is not enough food consumption. Family support can make a huge difference in encouraging her throughout her journey of the condition and not to give up having treatments. She had her blood sample tested last week for a third generation targeted therapy, hopefully could switch to it after the results are out.

Comment from: jennyford, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

In November I went into the hospital with pancreatitis. They did a CT scan and found a nodule on my lung. After a PET scan that appeared hot I went to see a pulmonary surgeon. He said I had to have surgery for lung cancer. I had surgery to remove 1/3rd of my right lung. They said it was non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. But they got it all. That was three months ago. I cough until I throw up. The cough isn't from my throat, but my chest. The doctor did a CT and said he couldn't see anything. I feel like I can't get enough air.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I went to the doctor because I had no appetite. X-ray showed 2 little spots on top right lobe. Doctor didn't think it was cancer but went in, and had right lobe removed because it was cancer. It was so small, so no chemotherapy or radiation. That was almost 4 1\2 years ago. I am still cancer free far as I know. I don't have many tests run, guess they think it has gone.

Comment from: Ramanamurthy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

I was diagnosed with tumor in left lung in 2013. In the first two biopsy reports a negative result came for malignancy. Thereafter in an advanced biopsy report positive result came. Since then I have undergone 6 chemotherapy and 36 radiation sittings which resulted in decrease in size of tumor. However, after 3 months there was an increase of 3 mm in size and also accumulated pleural fluid. This fluid was tapped out and in biopsy result was positive for malignant cells. Again I was advised for 6 chemotherapy treatments, out of which 3rd chemotherapy is scheduled tomorrow. The side effects I could not bear, I prefer to have an end of my life. This is not to discourage any one, but just my feeling.

Comment from: Karykzen, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 03

I had a friend who passed away in 2014 at the age of 42 due to large cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. The tumor was below his heart and had grown into his lungs, predominantly his lower right lung. There were no symptoms until about 4 months before diagnosis, which consisted of wheezing on a deep exhale which was misdiagnosed as bronchitis. Antibiotics were given but didn't clear the issue up. Not soon afterwards, the patient started to experience lack of appetite, rapid weight loss followed by inability to control bowels on occasion. Once hospitalized, initial thought was pneumonia but a PET scan led doctors to test for cancer which was when the patient was diagnosed. He underwent one week of intensive chemotherapy and it was just one and a half days after release from the hospital when he began to vomit up massive amounts of blood. He bled out in less than a minute due to the amount of blood he was vomiting up. He passed out before he expired and emergency medical rescue was unable to provide assistance when they arrived. His parents did not want an autopsy so I can only speculate that the tumor had grown around a major artery/vein and when it was destroyed by the chemotherapy, caused an esophageal varices (as a generic term) which caused him to bleed out.

Comment from: FRANK NICOLO, 75 or over (Patient) Published: January 12

In 2011 I had stage 1B lung cancer and after having half my left lung removed in 2012 I have beaten the cancer and I am so thankful. You can survive, you will survive, good luck.

Comment from: Manhattan, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 22

I just want to thank everyone for leaving their experiences. My brother died of lung cancer. I now have a nodule in my lung. It is so helpful to hear your symptoms prior to diagnosis and your treatments. Many of you are so inspirational; keep it up!

Comment from: Pauline, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I went in the hospital with pain, it was my gallbladder. They took a CAT scan and found a mass on my lung. I stayed in the hospital and got antibiotic to get rid of the pain for gallbladder, no operation. I want to take care of the lung. My pain went away because of the antibiotic so now I went for a PET scan. I will find out on Tuesday what they found in my lung and see what will happen. If it wasn't for the gallbladder pain, I never would have found about the mass in my lung.

Comment from: Son of a Survivor, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 02

My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in June 2014. I am a medical student in my 5th year, so I think everyone could imagine how much this was devastating to me especially that I studied the disease, and I know how bad this is, and I'd know when the doctor/my parents would lie to me. My mom had gone through a very hard time for 6 months before she was diagnosed. She left the country and went to USA to receive treatment. The doctors thought they could only buy her time with chemotherapy. She couldn't have surgery because the cancer already had gone to her shoulder bone, and her lung fluid was filled with cancer cells, but none of us knew her prognosis by then, not even her. I never saw a stronger fighter than my mom in my whole life. After a couple of chemotherapy courses, the cancer shrunk 80 percent (this kind of cancer usually has a moderate, but not strong, response to chemotherapy) and the doctors were amazed. She didn't have any tumor in her shoulder anymore, they went for operation, she removed her whole right lung, and then with chemotherapy again. The fluid of the lung was free of cancer. She lost her hair in the process, and now here she is, she wants to get back to work and see me graduate.

Comment from: Marie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

January 21, 2014 I was diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer in my right lung the size of your fist. February 12, 2014 I had surgery and lower 1/3 of my lung with the cancer was removed leaving only a micro spot on top of my liver. I have had chemotherapy treatment every 21 days since the surgery and I am back to living a normal life. I am eating healthy and exercise. And, of course I cold turkey quit smoking January 21st the day I found out I had cancer.

Comment from: MyMother'sDaughter, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

I'm just so scared. My mom is 84 and we took her to the emergency room (ER) because her blood pressure was high. But I started talking to the ER doctor about a persistent cough and the fact that she'd been to the doctor twice and she was not getting better. They decided to do a CT scan and they saw a mass and a suspected cancer diagnosis. They admitted her with the intent to a biopsy the next day. A bunch of delays and mix ups caused her biopsy to be delayed until Christmas Eve. Her coughing has finally subsided a bit, however she is now saying she's hoarse. She's also saying she's a little wheezy. She's been living with COPD since 2000 and if it weren't for the fact that she most likely has cancer, I wouldn't think any of these two developments because it is nothing new. We are now just in a waiting game. We had a great Christmas but I fear it will be our last with her. I've applied for FMLA (Family and Medical Leave) just in case.

Comment from: Joanna, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 12

My mom is 47 and just went to the emergency room (ER) due to not being able to swallow. They did an MRI and found lung cancer and she was put in ICU on Thanksgiving evening 2014 to do more tests. It spread to two spots of her brain, top left and bottom right. After a week she went home and now she is on her 8th radiation treatment. There are two more to go and no chemotherapy yet; they said it wouldn't do much good. They gave her six months to live. She is doing well so far. Doctor said she will be good for a little then it will start going downhill.

Comment from: keleee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I went in to my doctor's because I was coughing up bloody sputum. I had a general dry cough off and on. I had wheezing and chest noises. I also had mucus in the back of my throat that I had to spit up regularly. My doctor ordered a chest x-ray and they saw something so they ordered a CAT scan which showed a 3 inch mass which looked like cancer. I go to a pulmonary clinic in a few days to stage the cancer. I hope it is not too advanced.

Comment from: Daddy's Girl, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 05

My dad was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) when he was 49. He is now 63. He had chemotherapy in 2007 and all was well until last year August 2013. He became sick again and went to the doctor and they gave him blood transfusions because his blood count was low. In December 2013, he ended up in the hospital and after many tests they figured out he had hepatitis B from the blood transfusions. So finally after getting that sorted they started chemotherapy in March 2014, 2 days a month for 6 months. He then started getting bad vision and has cataracts and needs surgery but they cannot do it until after his last chemotherapy which should have been this past week, August 1, 2014. So he went to get blood drawn and they said he did not need any more chemotherapy! But then they said they needed to admit him and run tests because 2 weeks prior they took a CT scan and found a spot on his lung. So they admitted him, did biopsy, and it is lung cancer. So next week he goes and gets a PET scan to see how bad it is, and the type of cancer. I am so frustrated and do not understand how so many bad things are happening to my father. I am not ready to lose my dad. My dad is so upset and angry. He does not want to have any more chemotherapy!

Comment from: 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My dad was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2009, they did surgery and removed it, and then did nine months of chemotherapy. In 2011 he was diagnosed with liver cancer, went in to do the surgery but had to be stopped as they found a tumor in his back. They found it was not cancerous, so removed the cancer in the liver, and 2 months later removed the tumor from his back. November 2013 they found spots on his liver again and removed them, and now this week they have found a 1.3 cm tumor on his lung. They are going to do chemotherapy and maybe keyhole surgery as they think his body might not be ready just yet for full open surgery. He has been battling it last 4 times, I just hope he fights on; he is such a fighter and still young at 55, I hope all goes well.

Comment from: Buzzy Gil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in December of 2013. I have never smoked. It took doctors 3 weeks to detect it. It started with a dry cough, then I had a fever and stayed in bed a few weeks. I have undergone radiation and chemotherapy. My tumor grew during chemotherapy (Taxol and carboplatin) from 4.1 to 7.1 cm. I am now on Tarceva. Six days ago, I began having severe pain throughout my lung with the tumor. Two 4 mg Dilaudid and one 15 mg oxycodone is required just so I can sit without the pain being all-consuming. All the best to those of you suffering with this illness.

Comment from: MandaLee, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My dad was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer in December 2012. He called saying be couldn"t move the left side of his body so I went and took him to urgent care who transferred us to the hospital. He has 5 tumors on his brain and lungs are covered. He has had radiation on his brain then chemotherapy for his lungs. Chemotherapy didn't work at all so we did radiation on his lungs because it was shutting off the valve to his heart. He refused anymore chemotherapy just because it didn't work and he doesn"t want to be sick anymore. They are unable to do surgery because of the location of the tumors. My dad has never stopped working. He has been at his job for 26 years 12 hours shifts. He knows he is dying and doesn"t want to change his life because of cancer. Right now he has taken over a week off because he has been having extremely bad chest and back pains. I tried to get him to go to the doctor but he won"t. I think he is afraid of what they will tell him. We do MRI every 3 months and are currently waiting on test results. I'm only 26 my dad is 57, I am not ready to lose him.

Comment from: baltobilly, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

In January 2013 through test at the Veterans Affairs hospital, I was found to need a heart valve replaced. While doing an x-ray cancer was found in my right lung. It was stage 2 cancer but the heart valve had to be replaced before they could operate on the cancer. On April 4th 2013 the heart valve was replaced, six weeks later they were going to operate on the lung, but it had grown and a piece grew onto my wind pipe so it had to be shrunk, so in July, August I had 37 radiation treatments and 7 chemotherapy treatments, it worked well. So in Jan 2014 they decided to operate and on the 14th, they had to remove my whole right lung, it's been 2 months and here I am.

Comment from: Lulu, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I had a lobectomy and resection on my right lung when I was 70 years old, I am now 83. My cancer was stage 1 however I had a recurrence 1 year later and had chemotherapy and radiation (6 weeks everyday but weekend). I have had everything possible happen to me that could happen, hair fallen out, anemia, white platelets, the whole 9 yards but I am a lung cancer survivor! The fight is hard but 12 years is a record for lung cancer survival, I saw my grandchildren graduate college and a great-grandchild born. I am a lucky person.

Comment from: MiMi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was just diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma lung cancer after finding a 12mm nodule and a biopsy. This was just in the last 2 months. I did a PET scan and it did light up medium activity. I don't smoke. I did smoke as a teenager and quit when I was 20. I just turned 60. No one in my immediate family has ever had cancer. I have had bronchitis off and on all my life but lots of people do. I started coughing really bad about 3 years ago. The doctor sent me to a pulmonologist. He diagnosed me with asthma. Every time I went to see him and I was given the same old expensive inhalers, expensive breathing tests to tell me the same old story every time. Last visit in August his nurse practitioner told me I was coughing from the rain. Needless to say I made up my mind I would not go back. I had a bad surgery in February and 3 days later I got a pulmonary embolism. I have been coughing and throwing up ever since. Not one doctor would help me with the right kind of medicine. I pleaded with my primary care doctor to get me off of the blood thinners and I told her not one doctor has it right. I guess when they don't know what is wrong with you, they brush it off as asthma. She did a 3D CT scan and it was behind my right lung under a rib. It didn't show up on x-rays. It has grown in the last month and I am scheduled for surgery maybe next week. I have been itching a lot and flushing, kind of weird symptoms. All the doctors even told me to watch it for 3 months and I said no. I have learned the hard way not all doctors are created equal.

Comment from: Mindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer on 11/15/2012 after going in for a persistent dry cough. In January I had radiation for a brain tumor and have been receiving chemotherapy for everything below the neck. I have had challenges with bad reactions, blood clots, infected port and maintenance chemo that didn't work as my cancer's activity increased and 3 new spots were found. I'm on my 2nd round of chemo with a new drug and hoping that it keeps the cancer at bay. For the most part I'm feeling okay, staying hopeful, and looking forward to each new day!

Comment from: sharky, (Caregiver) Published: April 08

I lost my closest cousin to lung cancer. At first she thought she just had the flu but when she went to the doctor after 2 weeks of being sick he diagnosed her with lung cancer.

Comment from: darla, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My mother had lung cancer in 1987. She has long since passed but she went to the Livingston Clinic in San Diego Ca., they treated and taught her how to live holistically. She gave herself B6 shots and she drank tons and tons of carrot juice to keep her platelets up, she was on 2500 of vitamin C twice a day. She had cancer in both lungs, she was given 6 months and lived 4 years and almost had it licked.

Comment from: CITH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had a spiral x-ray of my lungs about 4 years ago. Then the emergency room (ER) doctor told me that I had a nodule on my lung. Like a fool I ignored this and never gave the ER information to my family doctor. I figured that if this was serious the hospital would contact my doctor and not tell me inform my doctor. Now I am very dizzy, ready to pass out just walking a few feet to the washroom. I suffer from SPMS (secondary progressive multiple sclerosis) and depression. Now my family doctor after blood work and description of my symptoms including severe pain on my upper shoulder, back, and breast area says I have to go for chest x-ray to check for lung cancer. I am scared I do not want to know. I have a husband and 2 children. Yes, I am a big fool. I am frightened, I have been smoking since the age of 13 and am now 60. I smoke 2 to 3 packs a day.

Comment from: Sonia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I now have pain underneath my breast. After having lung cancer I had three radiation treatments and my last treatment was in August 2013. It's really hurting now and I'm scared.

Comment from: Deshia63, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I was diagnosed with lung cancer on October 1st, 2013. In late July 2013 I was coughing up blood and I was told I had pneumonia after a chest X-ray then given antibiotics. I was back in the emergency room in Sept 2013 with worsening symptoms. Again I was given antibiotics then I was sent home again. So I pushed for further testing and was then given a bronchoscopy/biopsy and a CAT scan. I was told I had lung cancer, a tumor in my right middle lobe. I am having surgery in January.

Comment from: Kathy M, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 30

My husband, aged 69, was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that had metastasized to the bones. He underwent months of radiation treatment and finally received a positive note from his medical oncologist with finally a start date for chemotherapy to begin on December 6, 2013. He got pneumonia and died December 8, 2013 after 5 days in the ICU suffering to breathe. My husband only lived barely 4 months after diagnosis and if ever there was a person who thought he could beat it, it was him.

Comment from: art, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 31

My right upper lobe was removed in 2002, but I had no chemotherapy or radiation. Nine years later the cancer back as NSCLC (non-small-cell lung carcinoma). I did radiation for 7 weeks chemotherapy for 27 months and after a second opinion I stopped chemotherapy and am doing well. I do a cancer scan every 6 months now.

Comment from: careformom, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

My 76 year old mother had a chest x-ray done in January 2014. Then just 9 months later she was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

Both my parents, two younger brothers and my mother's father and all her 6 siblings died of lung cancer. Years ago, I was found to have a lung nodule and it was watched for many years and now I am beginning to have a nonproductive nagging cough. I do have a lot of allergies, so put off a visit to the doctor thinking this was the problem. It has been a few years since I had it looked at so should probably do this.

Comment from: Bros lil Sis, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My brother has lung cancer. I don't know how it happened and what caused it. He never used to go out with anyone. He always stayed home, and we never saw any symptoms in him! But all of a sudden he started having chest pains, so we took him to the hospital, after two or three diagnoses, his chest pain resulted in a lung cancer diagnosis. Now the doctors say he's on his last stage and chances of survival are low.

Comment from: wendylou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I have had pain under my breast right through to the back. I saw at least 8 to 10 surgeons, and they could not find anything. Then they thought it was my gallbladder. I kept going back to the ER – one doctor said I probably had cancer. I've had every test and nothing showed up until I got pneumonia. They did a CT scan and found cancer on my right lung. Now I have to start chemo and radiation treatment and see how it goes. Good luck to me.

Comment from: Professor Mustache, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was just diagnosed with stage 3A, non-small cell lung cancer on March 12, 2013. Now I'm getting chemo and radiation. I never smoked. I'm feeling fine, have no symptoms, and am frustrated by that fact. My cancer was discovered via a CT scan for a kidney stone – a mistake by the technician, for which I am grateful.

Comment from: heartbroken, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My mom had been having severe pain in her neck, shoulders and across her breast. We were told after having X-rays and CT scans that she had degenerative discs, and they had collapsed on top of each other causing the pain. We finally took her to a larger city hospital and asked for help with the pain she was having. They ran several tests including a CT scan of her chest. We were then told she had stage 4 inoperable lung cancer, and they gave her two weeks to six months to live. She died two days later.

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My dad was sick last year (June 2007). He was told by local general practitioner that he had the flu. He had a chest X-ray that showed a mark on his lung, but the doctor said it was an old infection. He had antibiotics for June, July and August, but the "flu" didn't go away. He had a lot of pain in his neck, so the doctor sent him to physical therapy, which didn't do anything. By end of August 2007, he was so sick, had lost so much weight, that he could barely even walk. A doctor finally decided to give him a second chest X-ray and blood tests. The mark on his lung was still there but bigger. He had a lung biopsy, and it was confirmed he had lung cancer. The only treatment was radiation, which didn't really do anything for him. He was in so much pain that he lost his voice. My dad died on November 17th, 2007. He was only 62 and before he got sick, he was fit and strong.

Comment from: Thankful, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I'm 65 years old and in December of 2006, I had the middle lobe of the right lung removed. The follow-up was three chemotherapy treatments. I get checked every three months by the oncologist, and the surgeon checks me at six-month intervals. There are days that I think back and can't believe I went through all of this, it's like it was someone else, and then I remember that it can come back at any time.

Comment from: scared little sister, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My brother was just diagnosed. He is in complete denial. We can not get him to talk, eat, or sleep. All we know is he said the doctor said lung cancer and it was stage 1. I figured that was good. But after reading the sites that stage 1 SLC, does not have a very good outcome and only 16% of survivors live past 5 years. I don't know what to tell him. I am a nurse and worked with chemo patients for 2 years in the past. I believe that quality of life is more important then quantity. He deserves to happy and not to be miserable if it is his time. I just can't tell my mom or sister that I understand him saying no chemo. I am sorry that I am rambling, I am just scared, I will lose him.

Comment from: Carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 04

It has been five years since I was told I had non-small cell lung cancer. They removed the upper lobe of my left lung. I did not have chemo or radiation. So far, I am cancer-free. I am 77 years old.

Published: July 31

My dad had lung cancer. First, his face and neck area was swollen. During that period, we never thought it was cancer, and later on, the swelling moved to his arms and chest area. After 12 days, we found out it was lung cancer from a CT scan had had done. He immediately started chemotherapy and radiation therapy. For the first two chemo rounds, the swelling was gone, but it came back. My dad survived about one to two months after the diagnosis.

Published: July 11

I started coughing up bloody phlegm six weeks ago. I don't have a family doctor and had to make an appointment to see one in emergency care. He X-rayed me and gave me a pulmonary test and sent me for a CT scan in another town. I went to London and saw a top specialist who told me I have lung cancer, and it has spread to my lymph nodes. I now need a biopsy and will need radiation and chemo therapy. I'm 65 and not ready to go yet.

Published: July 01

I had breast cancer one year ago. Soon after radiation therapy I became short of breath and had symptoms of asthma. I now have numerous nodules in the lung. The doctors do not know if it is cancer and want to wait another 6 months to do anything.

Published: June 24

Mike and I were only married 4 months when he had a MRI on his back prior to back surgery. The MRI showed tumors on his T5, 6, & 7. They did a biopsy and found cancer. They did additional testing and discovered that they think it originated in his lungs. Mike began radiation and chemotherapy immediately not questions asked. He has had 20 radiation treatments and has been receiving chemotherapy for 10 months. He even kept working during his treatments until he was too sick to work. I took time off work to take care of him and ended up losing my job. He has taught me so much about love, faith and hope. One of the first cancer patients we met told us that you cannot fight this disease without hope. She was right! Mike has been in so much pain and has been so sick (nausea) for months. He never complains. He told me that he didn't care if he had 4 days, 4 weeks, 4 months or 4 years he had to hang around for me. I feel bad that part of the reason he going through treatment is because of me. It's hard to see someone you love so much go through so much. But, we continue to pray and ask God to hold us in the palm of his hand. I feel blessed to still have Mike with me. All he has to do is smile at me and I fall in love with him all over again. So, those of you who also love someone who has cancer, just continue to love them! Love is healing.

Published: May 23

My husband was diagnosed in October of 2003. He has non small cell lung cancer with brain mets. We have now finished all the radiation he can have for a life time. We are doing chemotherapy still. He has had a port that clotted off so we had it removed . Then had a central line put in that his body rejected. He is running out of good veins so they are using larger ones that are not that good either. We are down to what do we do now. The blood transfusion or Procrit makes him very sick. His red blood cells are so low or stop chemo. He wants to continue so we decided on Procrit and continue chemo. Only time will tell. The doctor says he may have six months left, but he has said that 4 1/2 years ago. I don't discuss financial things with him stress is very bad for cancer patients . The less they have to worry about the better the fight. Caregivers remember you are not alone in your fight. There are others going though the same thing.

Comment from: judimari, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My grandmother just told me she had lung cancer and is not going to take treatment. Can you please tell me how long she has to live? She is a heavy smoker at the age of 76. Please advise I desperately need to know.

Comment from: Monk, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My husband had pneumonia and has had several CT scans since then because there is a spot or shadow on the X-ray and a CT scan. His pulmonary doctor said the spot isn't getting any bigger and she is afraid to do any invasive testing because he only has 1 lung. (The left lung was removed 10 years ago because of a fungus). He has some cough and wheezing and I am concerned that it is cancer. What should we do? His doctor is content to wait and see.

Comment from: mdelisa2003, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My sister was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in June. The cancer has spread from the lungs to the stomach to the abdomen. The doctors have given her less than six months to live. They state the chemotherapy would be useless and have recommended hospice. My sister is in complete denial and has refused hospice care. It is very difficult for the entire family, especially me because she has become so dependent on me. She won't fight the cancer.

Comment from: MaggiNMe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am 64 years old and was diagnosed 4 months ago with stage IIIa lung cancer. I finished 6 rounds of chemo yesterday (Taxotere, Cisplatin, Avastin) and have had no side effects except some tiredness, some loss of appetite, and sleeplessness but nothing I would consider a problem. The tumor was the size of a fist and is now reduced by 60%! I am now pending surgery and even though I feel very apprehensive, I want the tumor out of me!

Comment from: patsyj, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 21

My husband was just diagnosed with lung cancer. He also has COPD and the doctor said that there was nothing that could be done because of the condition of his lungs. If anyone has heard of a treatment besides chemo and radiation therapy I would be more than happy if you would share it with me.

Published: August 18

My mother, a healthy, active non smoker, developed a dry lingering cough during October at age 55. She was treated for asthma-like symptoms. She felt well enough to prepare Thanksgiving dinner that year & 2 weeks later was diagnosed w/Stage 4 lung cancer. She lived 2 months. It seems routine chest x-rays & more screening-- for all & most importantly for those w/ family history of any cancers would surely save lives. For her there were no signs until it was too late.

Comment from: charpre, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My husband lost his battle after only nine months diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. He went through chemotherapy and radiation which prolonged his life but in retrospect maybe no treatment would have given him more quality of life.

Published: August 01

My husband of 13 months was diagnosed with NSCLC stage 3, we were told he had to have chemo and rads and that he had 6 months at the most, so it was all set up. He had a severe burnt throat and no appetite at all. I got him Slimfast in the cans and kept 6 cans in the fridge at all times. I also gave him 3 iron tablets a day and all of this was given to help him build up his system, and it worked. He was on pain meds which made him sleepy but helped with the pain from the chemo and rads. When he got to where he was awake more I got him Ovaltine as that is good hot or cold and has the appox. same ingredients as Slimfast. Well, it is now 4 years later and he is up and about and eating good and even working in the yards etc. The chemo and rads left him weaker than he used to be so he just had to adjust his routine somewhat, but I have to say he has had the very best of care through the VA that anyone on earth could get and the doctors have been so absolutely wonderful it is just beyond words. They have kept close checks on my husband, run test to check and recheck to make sure it hasn't come back some where else. All I can say is God Bless them, they have all gone above and beyond the call of duty and even calling after hours and on weekends to check on him. So, veterans use your VA hospital they are awesome. And veterans, God Bless you for all you are doing and have done, you are the best, we all love you and owe you so much.

Published: July 24

May Dad was diagnosed just about 1 year ago with lung cancer. He went through all therapy available but made him feel worse. Needed a feeding tube, burned esophagus. My question was, they day he passed away he was given a great report of how the cancer was responding, and about 8 hrs later began to violently throw up/gag up blood and died within 15 min. The doctors say his lung "exploded" there was pieces of lung in the pool of blood. Is it possible to "cough up your lung?

Published: June 11

I get a bruised feeling in my right chest after a coughing fit.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Cancer Report Newsletter