Patient Comments: Lung Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your lung cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Cricket, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had pain in the area of my lungs, also some loss of breath when very active. I had the most pain in my back and sides. I've been a smoker since I was 15, now 55. I have no insurance yet. I am scared and worried most about what to say to my family.

Comment from: Mandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My father died of lung cancer 2 years ago. He had pneumonia a year prior and never got over the cough. Every time he went to the doctor they told him not to worry, it was because he smoked and they did not run any tests. A year later my father lost feeling in the left side of his body, he could not walk or lift his arm so my brother took him to the emergency room where they did tests to see if he had a stroke. The doctor told him he had lung cancer that spread to his brain. My father did not live much longer after that. There was nothing they could do.

Comment from: David's wife, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 04

My husband lost his voice last October. He had limited stage small cell lung cancer. The vocal cord nerve was damaged. He had 4 rounds of chemotherapy and about 30 days of radiation. He did 10 days of cranial radiation. He has no cancer cells currently.

Comment from: T.P., Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My mother's symptoms were low sodium. She also was coughing all the time.

Comment from: dinna1954, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My friend was admitted to the hospital for what was believed to pneumonia and treatment began for that. Her symptoms were cough, shortness of breath etc. They saw something on x-ray but didn't diagnose lung cancer until a few days later after a CAT scan.

Comment from: Kikky, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 12

My 56 year old friend had headaches, nausea and vision problem for about 8 months. Then foods tasted unpleasantly sweet and had hyponatremia for last 6 weeks before she died from a stroke. Cancer has gone to brain. She smoked like a fiend.

Comment from: JenJen, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 15

My father was admitted to the hospital in December of 2012 for what we were told was dehydration. All other tests came back fine. He had been really hoarse and was losing his voice. Over the next few weeks, he began losing weight and still had no voice. In March of 2013 he was readmitted to the hospital and was told he had pneumonia. Two days later, he was diagnosed with lung cancer that has spread to the bone in his right hip. He died six days later. My friend's father also was diagnosed with lung cancer on the same day. Her dad lasted one month longer and passed away in April. Both of them had the same primary symptom, which was hoarseness.

Comment from: lisa n, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 02

My dad was just diagnosed with lung cancer. They found a mass on his right lung and now he has to go for a biopsy. Right now, it's a waiting game to find out what stage of cancer he has and what their next step will be. I'm his oldest daughter and I'm reading all the information I can find and trying to find out more. I hope they caught it early enough.

Comment from: Mary L, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My mom had a cough for a month or so. She has a lot of health problems, is at risk for pneumonia and heart failure - so I bugged her to call the doctor. Initial diagnosis was pneumonia as she had a low grade fever and there was a small shadow on her lung. She felt better after antibiotics (she had gotten tired), but still coughing - so I bugged her to follow doctor's instructions to call back. Doctor saw her right away and sent her for a respiratory workup for COPD (mom had smoked maybe half a pack day for about 10 years - she quit over 30 years ago!). They called and told her she had cancer. Oncologist saw her a few days later (on Memorial day - he came in on his day off to meet with us all). Took about three weeks from first call to diagnosis.

Comment from: shoko, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was having reoccurring bronchitis 3 winters in a row, then I had a bout of pneumonia in June. This triggered me to keep going back to see my doctor. Since I was a nonsmoker and 38 at the time, I kept getting antibiotics and sent home. Although, I never felt well in July. I kept coughing and was extremely exhausted. I was diagnosed in 1997 with stage II bronchioaveolar adenoid carcinoma. My upper right lobe and 1/3 of my lower lobe was removed and followed by 5 1/2 weeks of radiation. That was 15 1/2 years ago. I am a healthy 54 today!

Lung Cancer Slideshow