Low testosterone (low-T) can be caused by conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, liver or kidney disease, hormonal disorders, certain infections, and hypogonadism. Signs and symptoms that a person may have low-T include:
- Increased body fat
- Weight gain
- Reduced muscle
- Decreased sex drive
- Worsening of congestive heart failure or sleep apnea.
Low-T can be treated with testosterone therapy in the form of gels, injections, pellets, or skin patches. Side effects of testosterone treatment include:Read more: Low Testosterone (Low T) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) Causes and Treatment
Having erection problems? What is erectile dysfunction (ED)? Learn about erectile dysfunction causes and treatments such as drugs...
The Surprising Health Benefits of Sex
How would you like a stronger immune system or better sleep? Action between the sheets can help you get all of this and more....
Sex Tips for Men: How to Have a Better Sex Life
Learn sex tips for men that lead to more sexual pleasure such as better communication, focusing on pleasurable sensations,...
Sex-Drive Killers: The Causes of Low Libido
Noticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can...
Low Testosterone (Low T) Treatments
What causes low testosterone (low T)? Learn about low testosterone symptoms in men. Discover low testosterone treatment and the...
Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence) Quiz: Causes & Treatment
Did you know that certain medical condition may be responsible for ED? Some causes of impotence are medically treatable and...
Low Testosterone (Low T) Quiz: Test Your IQ of Men's Conditions
What are symptoms of low testosterone (low T)? Take this quiz to learn more about causes of low testosterone and how to treat it....
Infertility: Types, Treatments, and Costs
Learn about infertility symptoms and types of treatment such as IVF, acupuncture, and natural methods to get pregnant. Read about...
Men's Health: What Foods Improve Male Health?
What foods have the most health benefits for men? For losing weight, gaining muscle, and lowering your risk of prostate cancer,...
Related Disease Conditions
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata,...
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Sexual Problems in Men
Male sexual dysfunction can be caused by physical or psychological problems. Common sexual problems in men include erectile...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Sarcoidosis, a disease resulting from chronic inflammation, causes small lumps (granulomas) to develop in a great range of body...
Mumps is an acute viral illness caused by the mumps virus. Symptoms of mumps include fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness,...
Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence)
Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying...
Prolactinoma (Pituitary Tumor)
Prolactinoma is an adenoma (benign tumor) of the pituitary gland. Causes of many prolactinomas are unknown. Symptoms in women...
Klinefelter syndrome, also referred to as XXY condition, is a genetic disease. Klinefelter syndrome affects mostly males....
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Male menopause refers to the decline in testosterone production in men. As men age, they often experience many of the same...
Men's health is an important component to a happy lifestyle and healthy relationships. Eating healthy, exercise, managing stress,...
Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI)
Primary ovarian iInsufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI) is the cessation of normal functioning of the ovaries in...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Low Testosterone (Low T) - Causes
What caused your testosterone levels to decrease?Post View 14 Comments
Low Testosterone (Low T) - Symptoms
What symptoms did you experience when your testosterone levels dropped?Post View 90 Comments
Low Testosterone (Low T) - Experience
Please describe your experience with low-T.Post View 4 Comments
Low Testosterone (Low T) - Natural Treatment
What natural treatments have you effective in treating your low testosterone?Post
Low Testosterone (Low T) - Treatment & Side Effects
What prescription treatments have been effective in treating your low-T. What side effects have you experienced?Post View 2 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Endocrinologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Shift Work May Put Damper on a Man's Sex Life
- TV Ads Help Drive Testosterone Supplement Sales
- Testosterone Therapy May Have Benefits, But Risks Too
- Testosterone Therapy May Be Linked to Serious Blood Clots
- Could Zika Harm Men's Fertility?
- FDA Warns of Dangers From Testosterone Supplements
- Can Hormonal Rx for Prostate Cancer Raise Dementia Risk?
- Testosterone Therapy May Boost Older Men's Sex Lives
- Men Miss Out on Bone Loss Screening
- Testosterone Therapy May Boost Sex Drive in Older Men ...
- Does Testosterone Give Men Better Direction Sense?
- Wielding Power May Spur Testosterone Surges: Study
- 'Low T' Therapy Has Yet to Be Proven: FDA
- Study Sees No Link Between Testosterone Therapy and Blood Clots
- Testosterone Treatments Won't Help Men With Ejaculatory Issues
- More Sex, Better Testosterone Levels?
- Early Studies See No Heart Risk From Testosterone Therapy
- No Testosterone Therapy for Healthy Women, New Guidelines State
- FDA Panel: Limit Testosterone Drug Use
- FDA to Probe Testosterone Therapy Claims, Safety
- Methadone Lowers Testosterone in Men Only
- Testosterone and Heart Attacks: Q&A
- Common Chemicals May Lower Testosterone Levels, Study Finds
- Testosterone Products Must Warn About Risk of Venous Clots: FDA
- 'Low T' Diagnosis Needs More Than a Blood Test, Experts Say
- More Specialists Question Safety of Testosterone Therapy for Older Men
- FDA Will Review Safety of Testosterone Therapy
- Testosterone Therapy Might Increase Heart Attack Risk: Study
- 'Low T' Therapy: Is It for Me?
- Testosterone May Undermine Flu Shot's Effectiveness for Men
- Too Much Testosterone May Be Unhealthy for Older Men
- More Men Taking Testosterone, But Risks Unclear
- Men in Red: Higher Testosterone Levels, Study Finds
- Erectile Dysfunction Tied to Long-Term Narcotic Use in Men
- Buying Testosterone Supplements Online Can Be Risky
- Low Testosterone Linked to Later Arthritis in Study
- Adding Testosterone to Viagra May Not Help Erectile Dysfunction
- Obese Boys, Impotent Men?
- Weight Loss May Increase Testosterone Levels
- Health Highlights: June 25, 2012
- Can Testosterone Therapy Help Obese Men Lose Weight?
- Coming Soon: At-Home Sperm Test for Couples Trying to Conceive
- Experts Call Male Menopause a Myth
- Divorce, Heavy Drinking, Smoking Linked to Hair Loss
- Testosterone May Drop When Men Become Dads
- Sleep Loss May Lower Testosterone
- Low Testosterone Linked to Alzheimer's Risk
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter