Low testosterone (low-T) can be caused by conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, liver or kidney disease, hormonal disorders, certain infections, and hypogonadism. Signs and symptoms that a person may have low-T include insomnia, increased body fat, weight gain, reduced muscle, infertility, decreased sex drive, depression, and worsening of congestive heart failure or sleep apnea.
Low-T can be treated with testosterone therapy in the form of gels, injections, pellets, or skin patches. Side effects of testosterone treatment include acne, anxiety, hair loss, headache and change in sex drive (libido).Read more: Low Testosterone (Low T) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication
Learn about type 2 diabetes warning signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read how diet and exercise can help manage...
Low Testosterone (Low T) Quiz: Test Your IQ of Men's Conditions
What are symptoms of low testosterone (low T)? Take this quiz to learn more about causes of low testosterone and how to treat it....
Menopause Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
The Menopause Quiz challenges your knowledge about the time in a woman’s life when menstruation ceases. Menopause can bring many...
Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
What causes type 2 diabetes? Can it be prevented? Take this online quiz and challenge your knowledge of this common condition....
Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence) Quiz: Causes & Treatment
Did you know that certain medical condition may be responsible for ED? Some causes of impotence are medically treatable and...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) Causes and Treatment
Having erection problems? What is erectile dysfunction (ED)? Learn about erectile dysfunction causes and treatments such as drugs...
Menopause & Perimenopause: Symptoms, Signs
What is menopause? What are the signs of menopause? What age does menopause start? Learn about menopause and perimenopause...
The Surprising Health Benefits of Sex
How would you like a stronger immune system or better sleep? Action between the sheets can help you get all of this and more....
Low Testosterone (Low T) Treatments
What causes low testosterone (low T)? Learn about low testosterone symptoms in men. Discover low testosterone treatment and the...
Sex-Drive Killers: The Causes of Low Libido
Noticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can...
Female Sexual Dysfunction: Treatment for Women's Sexual Disorders
Sexual dysfunction in women is common, from female sexual arousal disorder to other sexual problems. Causes of female sexual...
Infertility: Types, Treatments, and Costs
Learn about infertility symptoms and types of treatment such as IVF, acupuncture, and natural methods to get pregnant. Read about...
Sex Tips for Men: How to Have a Better Sex Life
Learn sex tips for men that lead to more sexual pleasure such as better communication, focusing on pleasurable sensations,...
Men's Health: What Foods Improve Male Health?
What foods have the most health benefits for men? For losing weight, gaining muscle, and lowering your risk of prostate cancer,...
10 Ways to Deal With Menopause Symptoms
Menopause can cause night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings, and relationship challenges. Learn how to manage these symptoms here....
Women’s Health: 13 Hormone Imbalance Symptoms and Signs
Hormone imbalance involves changes in estrogen, progesterone, and other hormone levels. Hormonal imbalance may cause symptoms...
9 Signs of Perimenopause
Perimenopause occurs before menopause as estrogen levels begin to change. This can cause menopause like symptoms such as hot...
Related Disease Conditions
Diabetes Symptoms in Men
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which a person's blood sugar (blood glucose) is either too high (hyperglycemia) or too low...
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Night Sweats (In Men and Women) Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
Perimenopause (Symptoms, Signs, Remedies, and Treatments)
Perimenopause is the time in a woman's life when she is approaching menopause. During this time a woman starts to develop...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Sexual Problems in Men
Male sexual dysfunction can be caused by physical or psychological problems. Common sexual problems in men include erectile...
Sexual Response Cycle (Phases of Sexual Response)
There are four phases to the sexual response for men and women. Couple do not usually reach each phase at the same time, and they...
Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence)
Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying...
Sarcoidosis, a disease resulting from chronic inflammation, causes small lumps (granulomas) to develop in a great range of body...
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes is a disease where your body does not make enough insulin or does not use insulin correctly, and you blood sugar...
Prolactinoma (Pituitary Tumor)
Prolactinoma is an adenoma (benign tumor) of the pituitary gland. Causes of many prolactinomas are unknown. Symptoms in women...
Male menopause refers to the decline in testosterone production in men. As men age, they often experience many of the same...
Mumps is an acute viral illness caused by the mumps virus. Symptoms of mumps include fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness,...
Men's health is an important component to a happy lifestyle and healthy relationships. Eating healthy, exercise, managing stress,...
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Sex, Urinary, and Bladder Problems of Diabetes
Having diabetes can mean early onset and increased severity of bladder symptoms (urinary incontinence and urinary tract...
Sexual Problems (Sex) in Women
Sexual dysfunction refers to a problem that arises during any phase of the sexual response cycle, preventing an individual or...
Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI)
Primary ovarian iInsufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI) is the cessation of normal functioning of the ovaries in...
Sex and Menopause (What to Expect)
Menopause is often associated with a change in sexual functioning. Loss of estrogen, bladder control issues, anxiety, stress,...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Local ResourcesFind a local Endocrinologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- How Steroid Abuse Put an Aging Bodybuilder in the Hospital
- Men's Testosterone Supplements May Be Losing Appeal
- Health Tip: Understanding Testosterone Treatment
- Shift Work May Put Damper on a Man's Sex Life
- TV Ads Help Drive Testosterone Supplement Sales
- Testosterone Therapy May Have Benefits, But Risks Too
- Testosterone Therapy May Be Linked to Serious Blood Clots
- Could Zika Harm Men's Fertility?
- FDA Warns of Dangers From Testosterone Supplements
- Can Hormonal Rx for Prostate Cancer Raise Dementia Risk?
- Testosterone Therapy May Boost Older Men's Sex Lives
- Men Miss Out on Bone Loss Screening
- Testosterone Therapy May Boost Sex Drive in Older Men ...
- Does Testosterone Give Men Better Direction Sense?
- Wielding Power May Spur Testosterone Surges: Study
- 'Low T' Therapy Has Yet to Be Proven: FDA
- Study Sees No Link Between Testosterone Therapy and Blood Clots
- Testosterone Treatments Won't Help Men With Ejaculatory Issues
- More Sex, Better Testosterone Levels?
- Early Studies See No Heart Risk From Testosterone Therapy
- No Testosterone Therapy for Healthy Women, New Guidelines State
- FDA Panel: Limit Testosterone Drug Use
- FDA to Probe Testosterone Therapy Claims, Safety
- Methadone Lowers Testosterone in Men Only
- Testosterone and Heart Attacks: Q&A
- Common Chemicals May Lower Testosterone Levels, Study Finds
- Testosterone Products Must Warn About Risk of Venous Clots: FDA
- 'Low T' Diagnosis Needs More Than a Blood Test, Experts Say
- More Specialists Question Safety of Testosterone Therapy for Older Men
- FDA Will Review Safety of Testosterone Therapy
- Testosterone Therapy Might Increase Heart Attack Risk: Study
- 'Low T' Therapy: Is It for Me?
- Testosterone May Undermine Flu Shot's Effectiveness for Men
- Too Much Testosterone May Be Unhealthy for Older Men
- More Men Taking Testosterone, But Risks Unclear
- Men in Red: Higher Testosterone Levels, Study Finds
- Erectile Dysfunction Tied to Long-Term Narcotic Use in Men
- Buying Testosterone Supplements Online Can Be Risky
- Low Testosterone Linked to Later Arthritis in Study
- Adding Testosterone to Viagra May Not Help Erectile Dysfunction
- Obese Boys, Impotent Men?
- Weight Loss May Increase Testosterone Levels
- Health Highlights: June 25, 2012
- Can Testosterone Therapy Help Obese Men Lose Weight?
- Coming Soon: At-Home Sperm Test for Couples Trying to Conceive
- Experts Call Male Menopause a Myth
- Divorce, Heavy Drinking, Smoking Linked to Hair Loss
- Testosterone May Drop When Men Become Dads
- Sleep Loss May Lower Testosterone
- Low Testosterone Linked to Alzheimer's Risk