Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Treatments

What was the treatment for your low blood pressure? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: digital_irishman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

Chiggers drive me nuts. You get a bite, you notice bite, then the unrelenting fun begins while you try your best to not scratch. The itch is so freaking intense. Hydrocortisone works well to manage itch and a little Neosporin helps the bite heal. Two weeks at least for it to return to normal. They love to find a fold in skin; behind knee, or upper inner thigh.

Comment from: marto, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

After a bout with prostatitis, the urologist wanted to do a cystoscopy to see if anything was going on. The procedure was very painful, I will never ever have it done again unless if under some form of general anesthesia. I was not even aware that this was even going to be that painful.

Comment from: daniel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

Colonoscopy preparation is quite hard not being able to eat, and drinking clear fluids only. Laxative drink is like drinking sherbet not bad really. Lying there exposed on the table makes you feel vulnerable, though the nurses and doctor were absolutely fantastic. Relaxation drug and bit of oxygen, and I didn't feel a thing, absolutely painless. Follow the preparation properly and you shouldn't have any problems, don't listen to the horror stories.

Comment from: Kingsley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

Several years ago I began showing symptoms of costochondritis but doctors in the emergency room (ER) and general practice could not diagnose. Then 3 years ago, while working in a restaurant kitchen, the symptoms became much more severe. Often looking like a heart-attack, I would lose the use of my arm, my jaw would tighten, I'd feel a stab in my chest, and fall to the ground. Eventually it took me out of my career. Someone gently poking me in the chest could send me to the floor. After 18 months of MRIs, x-rays, heart monitors, and blood tests my doctors decided it was costochondritis. They told me to rest and take anti-inflammatories. I was told that was the only help possible. Since then I have been fearful of exercising my upper body. Most symptoms have subsided but again I've had to lose out a lot on my career and life style.

Comment from: Emvy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I am normally fit and healthy. I have had occasional atrial fibrillation for 10 years. It is well controlled on beta blockers and warfarin. However over the past nine months I have had increasing bouts of dizziness, usually in a morning. Reduction in strength of beta blockers has had no real effect. I still have dizziness but not as yet fainting. Blood pressure is around 110/60 in a morning but rises usually to 145/75 in the afternoon and evening.

Comment from: Zeta, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have a hernia and am ok while sitting, lifting, and riding my bike, then all of a sudden my lower intestines seem to drop and the hernia bulge appears. I go to pass motion and then the pain goes away. I can pass motion as many as 6 times in 24 hours. I live in a small hilly town and work in a supermarket.

Comment from: Sher, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have costochondritis for a month now. I went to the emergency room thinking it was my heart. EKG, blood work, CT scan all normal. I have tried NSAIDs, heating pad, pain patches, and nothing is helping. It is affecting my quality of life. I dread it can go on for years. I am going to try massage therapy.

Comment from: Cat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

The arch on my left foot is very sore when I step on it. I think it's from wearing wore out shoes!

Comment from: ANGIE, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: February 03

I finally went to the emergency room yesterday after dealing with the pain for a few months. I was given a couple of medicines and told that I have stomach gastritis disease. I am having pain in my stomach like cramps and it is worse at night. It is waking me up at 12 and I am not being able to go back to sleep for a few hours. Pain goes straight to my back and that just makes it worse. Nothing helps! I had gastric sleeve surgery in 2014 so I don't have much stomach left to get an infection in! I sure hope the appointment I have next week tells me something so I can rest a little better.

Comment from: Glen, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am new also, but always keep an eye reading things and I read about a surgeon in the USA who said if you take hawthorn berry tea daily, and fresh steamed asparagus a few times a week and drink lots of water and no alcohol, do regular exercise and lower sugar you will never die of a heart attack and can throw your blood pressure pills away. He said do it slowly and keep getting tested from your general physician regularly to be sure it works. I tried it to stop my heart palpitations and bingo, it was the best advice ever. I've tried so many other people's ideas and pills and herbs, etc. Nothing worked for 16 years until I read about this about 5 months ago. I have just been told my blood pressure is low today and I don't take much of the above now because it has stopped my palpitations but will start again. Hope this helps.

Comment from: smith8577, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I wanted you all to know those that have low blood pressure, crave salt, headaches, etc., to see an endocrinologist soon as you can. That is a symptoms of adrenal insufficiency. I have had this disease for 6 years, and have to take steroids. It will cause really low blood pressure readings. It can be dangerous if not treated. Good luck.

Comment from: Prof. Canthaboo, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 01

Lie down close your eyes visualize your heart proper. Imagine that your heart contracts slowly and retract slowly. This means your pulse rate also low. Then hold your heart within your fist. By imaginary visualization squeeze your heart slowly and effectively until the whole blood pumps out and hold it for a second and release your fist to retract slowly. Do it 72 times and repeat as much as you can. This will facilitate the blood to flow to the brain and to the toes. This method is called Cerebro Neural Therapy.

Comment from: pezami, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

A big problem with lower blood pressure is when it goes up to high end "normal" it is ignored when in actuality you are at a grave risk for stroke or whatnot. One time after an injury, my blood pressure shot up to 160/90. I was having trouble thinking and knew I was messed up. The medicos, however, thought it couldn't be that bad because the blood pressure wasn't so bad, considering the injury. I was right and they found out I was hurt worse than they thought. You have to push against the medicos all the time but it is horrendous that when you are at your most vulnerable, ie sick or injured, that they do not even reference your normal but go for societies normal instead.

Comment from: Dialysis kid, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

My blood pressure is consistently reading 70 over 49 with symptoms lasting until next treatment, then the episode repeats itself. I had a really bad infection when I went on dialysis in 2012, I remember my nephrologist saying if I got uncontrollable temperature, heart rate or blood pressure there wasn't much they could do for me.

Comment from: Justined, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 79-year-old woman with essential tremor for which I take medication. I have lost about 8 pounds recently and had a severe case of diarrhea. My blood pressure was regulated with Norvasc (generic) and Avapro (generic). When my blood pressure dropped to 90/60 my doctor asked me to stop Norvasc. My BP stopped at about 100/70. Occasionally it shoots up to some unexplained number like 164/99. Usually it stays about 100. No dizziness, fainting. I do tire easily. I attribute this to my tremor which is regulated somewhat by DBS and topiramate. I am also taking chlorthalidone. If I have a serious drop in my BP, I'll drink part of an energy drink which today brought it up from 88/50 to 113/65. I am sure this is not the solution for all and I do ride a stationary bike for 20 to 30 minutess a day at a moderate speed.

Comment from: Kurotimi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I have a mix of both hypertension and hypotension. A few weeks ago I had a routine check of my blood pressure in my office and it showed 154/56. Prior to the check I could barely sleep at night and was also worried about my inability to access my laptop I passworded myself. I met a doctor who was too busy to attend to me, so I left to play a soccer match. Up until now I have not gone for another check but feel fine.

Comment from: AliveLiving, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am 44 with very low blood pressure. I had headaches that would not go away. I was always tired and weak. The doctors wouldn't listen and said some women just had low blood pressure which is true but I wouldn't listen. I kept going to another doctor then another. I had a brain aneurysm. My refusal to listen saved my life. Low blood pressure saved my life. The neurosurgeon said had my blood pressure been normal I would have died long ago. I still suffer with symptoms of low blood pressure but am thankful for it. Low blood pressure may be normal to you but if you don't feel you are treated well by your doctor then keep moving until you find a respectful one.

Comment from: john, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: December 11

Water, physical therapy and rest.

Comment from: jfb, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 07

My husband's blood pressure was normal until the last 2-3 years. He takes Florinef and extra salt. Midodrine makes it worse. He has fallen several times with injuries. He takes Sinemet and Azilect for PD which also causes low blood pressure. We adjusted the Sinemet to more often but same dosage. He gets dyskenesia from too much at a time. This helped. I am monitoring him for changes.

Comment from: Toriiee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I'm a 21 year old woman and have had low blood pressure my whole life. My mom has it and so does my brother. But I am the only one who gets affected by it. When I was a teenager I used to faint when standing and get bad headaches and black out for a minute or so. I was dizzy and lightheaded most of the time. I saw my doctor and found out that I have Hypotension, my blood pressure was 90/60, and an irregular heartbeat. He put me on a diet with more salt and that made me feel a lot better. I was all good until now. I am now experiencing lightheadedness, unable to concentrate on anything, and am very dizzy. I almost fainted at work yesterday and had to go home early. I have a feeling that something is causing my blood pressure to drop below 90/60 but don't know what it could be. I have been eating salty chips all day today and they have made me feel a lot better. So I'm hoping that all I need is more salt in my diet. It worked last time, so hopefully it works this time.

Comment from: DeepBlue, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I've had low blood pressure all my life. I feel tired all the time, have problems concentrating, and have passed out on numerous occasions. It gotten worse since I stopped drinking coffee and smoking as both of these were raising my blood pressure. Recently, I discovered that Rosemary herb (in tinctured form) works great for treating low blood pressure. It works just like coffee, but better (no anxiety, better concentration, etc.).

Comment from: Jammers, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I'm a 34 year old female and have very low blood pressure that just started out of the blue. My normal range usually runs 60/35, I constantly pass out and could hardly function. After nearly year of different meds and diets my cardiologist put in a pacemaker and put me on Fludrocortisone, Midodrine, as well as Toprol. Needless to say I'm still struggling with low blood pressure and dizzy spells. My heart now has moments where I have bradycardia but yet I'm thankful I'm not fainting daily anymore. I'm on a high sodium and caffeine diet but nothing seems to work.

Comment from: gypsyjudy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My blood pressure has been running so low that my blood pressure monitor (described as the most accurate, for an automatic blood pressure monitor, by my sister who is a nurse) only gives me Error messages in the morning. The other day it was 77/53. I am a kidney cancer survivor, and have been living at Stage 4 with metastases in my lung/s for 8 1/2 years. I have a nodule/cyst on my only remaining adrenal gland, which is described as only partially functioning. This means I have Adrenal Insufficiency, which could explain the low blood pressure. My Rx for fludrocortisone was doubled by my endocrinologist, and I was told to have "liberal salt" in my diet. This means I take a salt tablet, and added more, higher-sodium foods to my diet. For example, roasted, seasoned almonds instead of raw or plain. I also recently learned I have an allergy to Mugwort and that led me to Oral Allergy Syndrome, and the list of foods to avoid. When I quit eating all the fruits and veggies (fresh), and the systemic swelling that Oral Allergy Syndrome had caused had left my body (and I lost 15 pounds as a result), my blood pressure returned to normal, 120/80, but only for a short while, i.e. months maybe. I quit taking salt tabs and am now back to where I need to take them daily. I hope anything I have shared will help others who also suffer from low blood pressure.

Comment from: kayjord76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am a 35 year old female living in the tropical island of Jamaica. I have low blood pressure since I was a teenager. First the doctor checked for anemia. Then he suggested I elevate my legs to help the blood flow to the brain. I have done all these things and it has helped me to cope with low pressure.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: December 28

As treatment for low blood pressure, I was advised to stay hydrated and eat throughout the day. My doctor is also keeping an eye on my thyroid in case a condition develops.

Comment from: Silkstockings, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

I've changed the diet of a gentleman I care for. He used to have high blood pressure and now he's hypotension. A month ago, his new and very thorough doctor took him off the calcium channel and beta blocker for high blood pressure once we learned of the dramatic change in vitals. I make homemade foods for him, but am told certain Lean Cuisine dishes could help raise blood pressure. Regularly, he gets soy sauce, beef bouillon, beans, dry soups, deli meats and cheeses, chicken, nuts, yogurt or ice cream, lots of fruits and veggies (especially green beans and peas), drinks lots of water, milk, one Boost daily, green drinks with wheatgrass, and Gatorade. This is only to increase his salt/sodium intake. He's gotten much better results and feels better after only four weeks. His blood pressure has stabilized to within normal limits. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: aussiebach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Whenever I go to hospital (rarely) my blood pressure is so low it always causes concern. Nurses tap the machine, get another one. One time a group of nurses stood outside the door of my room and talked quietly together. Then the nurse in charge of the ward came in and talked to me in a concerned way and told me that blood pressure as low as mine is always caused by a medical condition and I must pursue finding out what that condition was. I have fainted many times and one time in hospital a nurse said to me excitedly 'I wish we'd been here to check and see just how low it was when you fainted!' It's just part of me. My friend, who worked for years in a hospital emergency room, laughs when he sees my blood pressure and says 'you are dead – no one living can have such a low blood pressure'. My father had low blood pressure. It's just a joke to me.

Comment from: SustQue, 35-44 Female Published: May 18

Hi, I am new to this low blood pressure readings. I usually was considered pre-hypertension, because back in 1996, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and then everything was high. I started taking medication, but after being put on a diet and exercise the doctor took me off of it, and I did not take it anymore, my blood pressure seemed normal. However lately, I have been experiencing lots of lightheadedness, along with dizziness, and so, I have been keeping an eye on it this morning around 8:00 a.m., it was 121/77, I was very dizzy so, I came home and took it again at 11:00a.m., and it was 126/66, I cannot figure out why this is dropping like this, I have never had it this low before; I only eat the salt in my cheerios, or whatever amount in the cup of milk, and then I do not ever add salt to my foods, I cut out all my sodium and pretty much everything now is no salt added foods, so, what can be causing this? Any clues? Either way, if I eat salty foods then (my sugars are fine), I cannot control my blood pressures, when I start back on the caffeine once/twice a week (coffee), then it gets back to hypertension such 127/87, so I cannot win for loosing.

Comment from: leapinles, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My husband is a C5-6 quad spinal cord injury. He is 67 years old, 33 years in a wheelchair. He suffers from low blood pressure and passes out after he eats. He takes ephedrine pills, which is a weight control product and sudaphederine. They work, but the side effects are that he is losing weight. Anyone that has any suggestions would help. His doctor just put him on a new medication Midodrine. Not doing much.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was told by my high school doctor that I had low blood pressure, would "never be able to keep up with the Joneses" and he put me in modified PE. It was dumb because I liked playing sports. My first job was with the Postal Service and their doctor made me do jumping jacks to run my BP and qualify. My father told me he had it too. Doctors are always saying not to worry, but I have been slow and sluggish all my life. When I did long distance bike riding my BP got even lower and I didn't feel as healthy as you'd think. I am now 61. Two weeks ago I got so sick with stomach flu that I had to go to the hospital because I was extremely dehydrated. BP was down to maybe 60/40. Normally it's maybe 90/60. My internist said later that the reason it hit me so hard was that my BP is so low normally that going even lower endangered my life. So will this problem get worse as I age?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter