Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Causes

What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Cuddles, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

My blood pressure (BP) normally is about 110 to 120 over 79/80. I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression. I recently presented to the emergency room (ER) with chest pain, and all the classic female symptoms of a heart attack. My BP was 130/87. At one point in the ER, I was given a nitro. I watched my BP plummet to 80/53. They said, 'I guess we won't be giving you that again!' Long story short, I had a massive anxiety attack that mirrored cardiac arrest.

Comment from: Donna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 15

My blood pressure dropped to 90/59 after being put on Losartan 50 mg once a day and Maxzide 75/50 once a day.

Comment from: Bama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I am on hemodialysis but in 2005 I was diagnosed with a leaking mitral valve. My pressures gets as low as 70/40; almost too low to be dialyzed. So from time to time I have pains behind my eyes, along my shoulders and neck and weakness in my joints. Nothing can be done, it is just due to my condition is what the cardiologist says.

Comment from: Rabi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

When I was pregnant with my second child, my blood pressure went down. I don't know the extent, all I know was that I had dizzy spells almost all though the pregnancy. I was told to increase my salt intake, which I did. There was just a little improvement.

Comment from: David, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 52 years old, have a disease known as Stiff-Man Syndrome for which I am treated with baclofen and Clonapaxin 4 times a day. I also receive IVIG (intravenous immunoglobulin) infusions at home 3 times a month. I have been on diltiazem 180 for high blood pressure for many years. I had two strokes, the worst of which my BP was 229/165. Now, I am going the opposite direction with my BP. Yesterday my home health nurse took my BP probably 15 times, and twice stopped my infusion as my BP dropped to 58/39. A friend of mine who was once my family doctor said that this is likely an auto-immune disorder. The cardiologists have done everything except a heart catheter, and nothing shows up. I do feel tired a lot, and feel much better if I can do some manner of physical exercise, but the Stiff-Man really limits that, because if I overdo it I will have a myoclonic seizure. I have no thyroid problems, but do have an adrenal tumor which is inoperable.

Comment from: Ketty77654, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I am suffering back head pain, I wonder if it is because of low blood pressure.

Comment from: Elaine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I fell and broke my arm, and my blood pressure dropped to 70/30, maybe it was the shock that caused it.

Comment from: loveirl53, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I take blood pressure (BP) pills but I got a bad cold and my whole body and feet are like ice. I took my BP and it was 117/52 and I am still freezing. I don't know what's wrong.

Comment from: Jenny, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I would have fainting attacks for years. Fourteen years ago I had a pacemaker put in and I have had a new life. I had a tilt table test first. Now I can go anywhere.

Comment from: connie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

My blood pressure drops quite low during dialysis. It continues for a time then gets back to somewhat normal range.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I typically have high blood pressure which has at times gone up to 218. I take Hyzaar 100/25 daily to maintain my pressure at around 130/90. The first time I went for surgery my blood pressure hit the floor, I never was told how low it went but low enough to stop the surgery and I had to have a cauterization before they would consider surgery. This has happened several times and once the surgical nurse caught it before I went into surgery and they gave me an IV which brought it back up and I was able to continue on and have the surgery. So, now when I go for surgery and must fast from midnight I cannot take the Hyzaar, for that day only I take Cozaar which is the same except for the diuretic and I notate on my history that I should have an IV started prior to anesthesia. Since I have bladder cancer I have had multiple surgeries and this has helped surgical delays.

Comment from: judyr, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 10

My husband is 53 years old, and an insulin dependent diabetic since 1994. He is a landscaper, weighing about 155 lbs and is 5'7 or 8 so is very active from sun up to sun down. His blood pressure was normally like 100/70. About a year ago the doctor put him on lisinopril for his kidneys. (this is a blood pressure medication), I take it to lower mine. Now he is coming home very, very tired (which has to do with the heat in Arizona, and how hard he works), but also complains of headaches. Definitely stays hydrated. Does not drink alcohol or smoke. He took his blood pressure today and it was 90/61. Is this too low, should we be concerned. The doctor never says anything when asked if this is OK. All he says is I wish all my patients had this good of blood pressure.

Comment from: peggysue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had pneumonia last March and I have been treated for asthma ever since. My respirologist examined me and decided I should lower my asthma medications as I seemed to be light headed and lacking oxygen. My ankles and legs were also swollen so she put me on diuretics and referred me to an overnight sleep clinic and suggested a hospital bed at home might help as well. To me it sounds as awful as CHF (congestive heart failure), which my mother died of at 70 years.

Comment from: Shelley, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 09

My mom had a first episode of extreme pain from diverticulitis about 6 weeks ago. Since then, she's been sick. Nausea all the time, vomiting, thirsty, extremely cold and her doctor took her off her blood pressure pills because her pressure is low now. She has an appointment to see a specialist in a little over a week but I'm scared that's too long to wait. She lives with my brother and I think he should take her to the emergency room. I'm really worried about her.

Published: July 22

I am a 60-year-old insulin-dependent diabetic. Eight years ago my doctor decided to put me on some medication for my kidneys. The medication was normally prescribed for patients with high blood pressure. All the tests I've had show normal kidney function. My blood pressure was always normal. One month after starting the new medication, my blood pressure went down. It put me in the emergency room, and the medication was stopped. Ever since then, I cannot keep my blood pressure in a normal range.

Published: July 22

I am severely hypothyroid, and low blood pressure is part of that. I was on Synthroid for years, and still had low blood pressure and had other symptoms of hypothyroidism. I started taking Amour Thyroid, which has T3 and T4, both of which are to be found in your thyroid gland. (Synthroid only has T4; many people must have both to function, while others get along just on the T4.) This helped a great deal and actually increased my blood pressure to a more normal range, giving me more energy.

Published: June 30

My blood pressure can be very low on hot days, like 81 over 56. My heart rate is still high (92), I don't understand it, but I make sure I'm hydrated.

Published: June 24

I am a 53-year old man that's in pretty good shape. I work out at the gym 3-times a week, 20-minutes on the bicycle and 30 on weights. Prior to my working out, I was very stressed at work and faced a 90-minute commute to work in rush hour traffic both ways. My doctor recorded 3 BP readings of 150+ over 90+ and put me on Diovan. I am now averaging around 100/65 and feel a little tired most of the time and I get dizzy when I stand up too fast. Yesterday it was 96 over 58. I've noticed since being on the Diovan that it's hard to get a good steady urine stream going. It starts and stops. I just had a physical and the ole prostrate turned out fine. I wonder if the Diovan is causing the starting and stopping?

Published: June 20

I'm 13, and my doctor told me I have low blood pressure. I went to the doctor because every time I stood up from sitting down, I would get dizzy, I passed out once. My doctor said that it might be because of low blood pressure, I believe so too. But what makes the low blood pressure situation bad is that I was recently diagnosed with OSD (Osgood-Schlatter Disease). It isn't permanent; it'll go away when I'm 17 or so. It's basically a bone in both of my knees that wants to pull off every time I run, it is very painful, and when the pain does come after a long day, my feet ache too. So it's probably going to be even harder to lose this low blood pressure without being able to do any activity. But the most crazy thing is the reason that I got low blood pressure. I think it was because of stress from school. I went to a catholic school, and the school was so bad, and so loud I got stressed, VERY stressed, each day I would pray that I would never have to go there again, I was stressed mentally and physically. I believe that is why I got low blood pressure. Through all that I managed to keep an 80% average on every report card from grade 7 to 8.

Published: June 18

I've always had low blood pressure. I've passed out a few times. I'm 55 now and today it is 120/55. My pulse is 62. Recently I took two treadmill tests and both results said I showed signs of ischemia and my heart was all over the place. I know what ischemia is, but no one will tell me what to do for it. I've always exercised, and I swim. I'm active, but it is becoming more and more exhausting.

Published: June 13

I have been being treated for hypertension. My blood pressure has reached 210/110 and normally was running around 190/98. My doctor put me on clonidine-0.1mg, atenolol-50mg, amlodipine-10mg, and lisinopril-20mg to lower my blood pressure. After about 1 month my blood pressure has dropped to 92/52. I have been extremely weak, I have had dizzy spells, absolutely no energy and just felt half dead. I have not been able to work because I am on my feet at work and too dizzy and weak. Today, he has decided to take away the clonidine but I have read that it is dangerous to stop taking this med abruptly.

Published: June 11

I typically have a lower BP but periodically, it really crashes. I have a BP cuff and right now, it is 75/44 - I have been exhausted all day. I wish I knew why it crashers; my doc doesn't seem too concerned by it but when it drops under 85 it affects my ability to work, play, etc. I believe the lowest I have crashed has been about 55/45. All I want to do is sleep. Sometimes, eating salty foods help. I have had my normal volume of water today, maybe that is contributing. I have been advised to be sure people know about my low BP if I ever need surgery.

Published: June 10

A combination of factors - dehydration, physical and mental exhaustion, lack of exercise for a long period, followed by vigorous sudden exercise, and hyperthermia.

Published: June 09

I am post chemo and Radiation. I have always had normal low blood pressure but now it jumps down, lowest 60 over 40 in ER. All blood work came back just peachy and docs were baffled, The saline IV seemed to slowly bring it up. So I drank a lot of water, plain and with electrolytes.

Published: May 19

I recently had blood drawn to test my thyriod, and the test came back a little high. I recently went to the doctor because I was feeling exauhsted, and my blood pressure was a little low.

Comment from: Ky Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was having black out spells approximately 3 years ago, they got better without medicine. I blacked out driving slow. 1st time the heart cath and several other tests, no answers. Started again approximately 3 months ago, did brain scan, MRI, stress test, scan on top of heart, tilt test, want to schedule the Tee test, did the clogged artery test on legs and neck. They happen when I am the quietest. Nothing showed up, I had been under a lot of stress. Sitting at computer and black out, set at table with family and black out, was driving and stopped for a turn, blacked out and no answers at the current time.

Comment from: Sandhya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am allergic to some smells which exist in hospitals and in particular Operation Theaters. Last 4-5 times when I developed sudden low blood pressure, I was in a hospital, with my close ones who were recently operated or just out of Operation Theater.

Comment from: woraiur, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I would like to share with you that I had high blood pressure 160/100 I reduced to 140/100 and then to 120/100 by taking garlic regularly and avoided rice mostly reduced my weight by 15 kg without any medicine. I find taking garlic in large quantities reduces the high blood pressure now I am finding ways to reduce to 120 /80 by natural means without medicine after that success I will tell my ways to reduce the blood pressure.

Comment from: Lillenana, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have High Blood which I take medicine for, but quite often lately in mid morning or noon my blood pressure gets very low, ie 78/43 Pulse 51, right now it went up a little 80/43, someone told me to drink Gatorade, I had a full bottle and it does not seems to help, what can I do to bring it higher, I am very dizzy, lightheaded, and have a trace of a headache, I told my doctor about this and he does not know why this would happen, can you help

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I'm not sure, but was diagnosed with mitral valve regurgitation 8 years ago along with irregular heart beat as high as 120 and low as 40 with the Holter monitor. The doctor hasn't rechecked me since putting me on Diltiazem until my incident in the hospital this week. I still am not satisfied with the info I was able to get, which wasn't much.

Comment from: nan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 18

As soon as I complete my breakfast (i.e. cereal), my face begins to flush, I begin to sweat profusely, and my pressure begins to drop from normal range to systolic (92-102 or lower) diastolic (48-58) ranges. This will last for 45-90 minutes. The sweating continues all this time, although I generally feel chilled, not hot.

Published: July 28

My doctor put me on two blood pressure medications -- Benicar HCT and Norvasc. I take them together in the morning. My blood pressure now varies; i.e. 99/55, 75/44, 95/60, etc. I've been extremely tired and I have also developed an ache in the upper part of my neck.

Published: July 24

I was diagnosed with neuro cardiogenic dysfunction, a drop in blood pressure at any moment; I suffer with a lot of visual changes, out of breath, lightheadedness, rapid heart rate and much more. I am on a medication to control the rapid heart rate, but the blood pressure I have to try to control with diet. This is a very uncomfortable illness to deal with.

Published: July 22

I am a 45-year-old woman who is typically healthy with a blood pressure of about 90/50. I do not have any side effects (tired/dizzy), but I do have a problem donating blood. On some occasions my blood pressure is too low 81/49. I have a sister four years older than myself who also has low blood pressure. She periodically experiences bouts of being extremely tired. Her blood pressure is not quite as low as mine, but it seems to be a real issue for her.

Published: July 11

My blood pressure runs low, and I have orthostatic hypotension. I have poor tolerance for heat. Salt and fluids sometimes help, but not perfectly. For the last few years, I have had periods of profound fatigue and difficulty thinking, which my doctor believes is related to periods of worsened low blood pressure. Yet my increasing salt and fluids has not helped this. By coincidence, I found that Allegra-D, which has a stimulating effect, helped my ability to think. However, it seemed to worsen other autonomic functions with which I have difficulty.

Published: June 27

I am 75, have CVDk, and two stints. My blood pressure has been normal on meds for years. Several months ago, it started to run high on the top, low on the bottom, right arm. Left arm is running about 30 points lower than usual and pulse is hard to detect. My cardiologist has me scheduled for an arteriogram; he believes I may have subclavical blockage. I have the dizziness, and other things cause tiredness all the time but it seems to be worse maybe with the advent of low blood pressure on one side.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter