Grief is the feeling one experiences after a loss (of a friendship, death of loved one, job). Complicated grief refers to grief that lasts for more than a year. Mourning describes the customs and rituals that help a bereaved individual make sense of their loss. Read more: Grief: Loss of a Loved One Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication
What is depression? Get information on symptoms, signs, tests, and treatments for many types of depression including major...
Grief, Bereavement, and Mourning Quiz: Test Your Understanding
Grieving? Whatever your method of dealing with grief, it’s perfectly normal. Take the Grief, Bereavement, and Mourning Quiz to...
Related Disease Conditions
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a psychiatric condition, can develop after any catastrophic life event. Symptoms include...
Second Source article from Government...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Nightmares are dreams that cause high anxiety or terror. Nightmares may be a part of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Death: How to Discuss this Issue
- Grief and Loss with Richard Kneip
- Grief: Understanding the Loss of a Loved One
- Grief: Helping Your Child Deal With Loss
- Grief and Loss: Mourning Our Troops -- Dottie Ward-Wimmer, RN
Prevention & Wellness
- Grieving Friends Often Find Support Online
- 'Palliative Care' Gets a Bad Rap, Study Finds
- Doctors Rarely Discuss Religion With Critically Ill, Study Says
- Hospice May Help Ease Depression After Loss of Spouse
- Health Tip: Is It Grief or Depression?
- End-of-Life Care Discussions May Miss Patient Priorities
- Many Americans May Get Hospice Care Too Late
- 'Exposure Therapy' May Relieve Prolonged Grief Disorder
- Special Therapy May Help Relieve 'Complicated Grief'
- Doctors Don't Ask About End-of-Life Plans, Study Finds
- Patient Wishes Should Guide End-of-Life Care, Researchers Say
- Health Tip: When Grief Becomes Depression
- Tips on Coping With Grief During Holidays
- Pinball Analogy May Help Grief-Stricken Move Forward
- Cancer Docs Often Deal With Own Grief, Doubts When Patients Die
- Grief May Boost Heart Attack Risk
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter