Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches, and cluster headaches are considered primary headaches. Secondary headaches are caused by disease. Headache symptoms vary with the headache type. Over-the-counter pain relievers provide short-term relief for most headaches.
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However, over-stress, can be harmful. There is now speculation, as well as some evidence, that points to the abnormal stress responses as being involved in causing various diseases or conditions.
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says Steinberg, a distinguished professor of psychology at Temple University in Philadelphia. It also promotes intellectual curiosity, motivation, and desire to achieve. It helps protect children from developing anxiety, depression, eating disorders, antisocial behavior, and alcohol and drug abuse.
Autism Spectrum Disorder (in Children and Adults)
Autism in children and adults is a developmental disorder, characterized by impaired development in communication, social interaction, and behavior. Autism is classified as a pervasive developmental disorder (PDD), which is part of a broad spectrum of developmental disorders affecting young children and adults. There are numerous theories and studies about the cause of autism. The treatment model for autism is an educational program that is suitable to an individual's developmental level of performance. There is no "cure" for autism.
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety. There are fitness programs that fit any age or lifestyle.
How Does Having an Autistic Child Affect the Parents?
Being a parent to a child with special needs is associated with various challenges. Having an autistic child may stress the parents so seeking the help of family and friends and a licensed therapist is important as is taking breaks.
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- How Helpful Are Support Dogs for Kids With Autism?
- Brain Waves Offer Insight Into Autism-Linked Sleep Struggles
- Antidepressant Doesn't Ease Obsessive Behaviors of Autism
- Scientists Uncover More Autism Genes
- Extreme Eating Habits Could Be an Early Clue to Autism
- Young Adults With Autism Need Jobs, But Resources Vary By State
- Amazon Removes Books Making False Claims About Autism Cures
- Another Tally Puts Autism Cases at 1 in 40
- Prolonged Brain Connections Seen in Adults With Autism
- Music Therapy Helps Kids With Autism Connect to Others
- What You Need to Know About Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Brain Scans Yield More Clues to Autism
- Researchers Probe Part of Brain Where Autism Might Begin
- Many Young People With Autism Can Become Safe Drivers: Study
- More U.S. Kids Being Diagnosed With Autism
- Facebook May Be 'Safe' Social Space for Adults With Autism